Argos at Als GDT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, July 14, 2023, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Would love to see the Argos get out in their place but I am not betting on it.
Slim margin for error on the Als.
OL on Als need a big improvement.

Discuss?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Would also love to see the Argos fall on their face a bit but probably not this week.

Als OL is fantastic, Fajardo just misunderstood his sack bonus and thinks the more the better.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

I'm expecting the Als to win. Kelly is still a relative rookie CFL QB and the Als have a good defence.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 14, 2023, 09:32:07 PM
I'm expecting the Als to win. Kelly is still a relative rookie CFL QB and the Als have a good defence.
I hope you?re right! The

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on July 14, 2023, 09:02:40 PM
Would also love to see the Argos fall on their face a bit but probably not this week.

Als OL is fantastic, Fajardo just misunderstood his sack bonus and thinks the more the better.
:D

TecnoGenius

Ridersforum on Cody game nights is always more fun than the game.  They hate that guy more than anyone here ever hated Willy or Nichols.

Wheel out, sack.

Turtle up, sack.

Step up, sack...

... I lied on the last one, Cody never steps up in the pocket  :D :D

Easy win for TOR.  They'll make Omellettes out of broken Alouette eggs.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 14, 2023, 10:24:58 PM
Ridersforum on Cody game nights is always more fun than the game.  They hate that guy more than anyone here ever hated Willy or Nichols.

Wheel out, sack.

Turtle up, sack.

Step up, sack...

... I lied on the last one, Cody never steps up in the pocket  :D :D

Easy win for TOR.  They'll make Omellettes out of broken Alouette eggs.

lol cool re rider forum to JarJardo

The Zipp

Pulling for Faj today.  Argos need to be knocked down a notch..

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on July 14, 2023, 10:49:30 PM
Pulling for Faj today.  Argos need to be knocked down a notch..

That'd be fun to see!
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

The Zipp

Not a terrible throw by Faj.  Good defence

The Zipp

Wow.  Toronto receivers are catching everything..taking shots and hanging on..

Lincoln Locomotive

Still thinking TO's the team to beat this year.....we were last year and lost the GC.....let's hope that trend continues this year.   Kelly so far has done nothing but win and he might be their X factor this season.   
Bomber fan for life

The Zipp

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: The Zipp on July 15, 2023, 12:09:45 AM
Dequoy is so good...
one of the best at his position....the Als have some great pieces
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on July 14, 2023, 11:39:48 PM
Good uni matchup
Indeed! I like our road jerseys better than the colour blast version.

Lincoln Locomotive

Dequoy seems to be in on every play
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Toronto D also playing very tight....3 and 1 gamble coming up
Bomber fan for life

Pete

wish they'd penalize teams heavier for those fake 3rd down plays trying to draw the opposing team offside. They want to make games more exciting and quicker paced. To me it qualifies as unsportsmanlike.

Lincoln Locomotive

C"mon Als...punch it in....sack....TD but under review....good play by the Als with CF throwing into triple coverage.  Game on!
Bomber fan for life

The Zipp

Oulette is the real deal for sure.  Great throw and catch on that Argo TD

Lincoln Locomotive

Kelly throws a nice ball....I think he's for real
Bomber fan for life

The Zipp

Faj is very strong on his feet...wow

Pete

props to Fajarno on his escape to throw a td!

Pete

have to say so far this is one of the best games of the year

bunker

Kelly has a very good arm and is pretty accurate. Big difference between Kelly and Cornelius.

The Zipp

Fantastic catch by Coxie...I am glad they didn't call OPI on that. 

The Zipp

Quote from: Pete on July 15, 2023, 02:01:12 AM
have to say so far this is one of the best games of the year

Agreed

bunker

Credit to Fajardo in that last drive, and to Maas for the call on second down. Toronto should have been looking for that.

The Zipp

Old time CFL football...love it !!

Lincoln Locomotive

Both QBs are playing well
Bomber fan for life

The Zipp

Darn - Faj couldn't escape and on 3rd and 17 they can't convert.  That's game

bunker

Terrible coverage by Ento on that last Toronto TD. That's the game. Was pulling for Montreal.

Lincoln Locomotive

Kelly was the star of the game....cool as ice
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 15, 2023, 02:51:14 AM
Kelly was the star of the game....cool as ice
Toronto has great balance on offence and their D gets after it when they have to.....they are the team to beat this year and we need to play our very best football to beat them
Bomber fan for life

bunker

I agree Kelly looked really good. But he showed very poor judgement on his interception. Needs to learn to take the sack or throw out of bounds. Also want to see what he looks like when (?if) he has to deal with more pressure in the pocket, and getting hit hard a few times.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: bunker on July 15, 2023, 02:55:55 AM
I agree Kelly looked really good. But he showed very poor judgement on his interception. Needs to learn to take the sack or throw out of bounds. Also want to see what he looks like when (?if) he has to deal with more pressure in the pocket, and getting hit hard a few times.
to be fair....Zach throws at least one or two ill advised passes most games.....it's just that he completes the big TD throws when needed.   Kelly is also good at escaping pressure when needed and can hurt you with his legs.   Not sure what his numbers are but he's got to be up there among the leading QBs.....
Bomber fan for life

pjrocksmb

dd

Toronto continues quietly plodding along as leagues #1 team

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: dd on July 15, 2023, 03:35:18 AM
Toronto continues quietly plodding along as leagues #1 team
the rematch at IGF late in the year will tell us a lot about both teams......by then Kelly could be even better if he continues to play as he has.    The two top QBs in the CFL at the moment are Zach and Chad and then there's a gap pretty big between #3 and the rest.....VJA and CF are my next at 3/4 and then it's Harris at 5 and after that it's pretty slim pickins!   
Bomber fan for life

dd

Just saying, you hear a lot of press about the bombers, Zach being mvp, Willie, biggie, etc, and really, you don?t hear nothing out there about the Argos being a powerhouse or anything. They are a very , very physical, talented and smart team, yet you don?t hear much about them. This Kelly fella looks to be getting better and better each week , yikes!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on July 15, 2023, 12:54:54 AM
wish they'd penalize teams heavier for those fake 3rd down plays trying to draw the opposing team offside. They want to make games more exciting and quicker paced. To me it qualifies as unsportsmanlike.

Don't watch the NFL then!!  They do that all the time.  It's somewhat rare in the CFL, and only recently have teams been deploying it regularly.  Seems to mostly be Dickenson The Greater and Dinwiddie.

That last fake 3rd cost them 10y because it was within the 3:00, and their field position wasn't great, so a bit risky.  Maybe they could increase it to 15y as a deterrent.  I wonder if they could differentiate between a "real" timecount (no waggling, just O in disarray) and this fake (multiple waggles, etc) nonsense.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 15, 2023, 02:18:59 AM
Fantastic catch by Coxie...I am glad they didn't call OPI on that

It was OPI, though.  Dude pushed off, fully extended his arm.  Ya, he did it pretty early in the process, but he still did it and it caused separation.  Command should explain precisely why they let this one go.

I think they let it go for the SC highlight reels and "need more O" mindset.  They may have a point.  But need to be consistent... they've called that OPI many times in the past.  The key is the full extension and the no-separation -> big-separation right after.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

MTL O has give us and the league a template for beating TOR.  On a couple of MTL's big drives TOR couldn't do squat to stop them.  Stick with the run-heavy plan.  Stick with the screens and dink&dunks.  Only take the big shot when they least expect it (i.e. from around the 30 into the EZ), maybe on first down.

That screen they ran 2-3 times where the carrier came back inside worked wonders.  TOR had no answer for it.  The D couldn't coordinate and communicate the exchanges in coverage.  This points to weakness on TOR's LBs and DEs.  Instead of testing the stout DBs, keep the ball in the flat and utilize good clearing routes.

It must have been hell for every-pass-a-deep-pass Maas to agree to that plan.  Kudos to Calvillo.  They were certainly doing their homework.

MTL can make things happen when Cody actually breaks out.  The problem for him is usually he can't break out.  He's probably been working on it, vs just turtling like he normally does.  He didn't escape a few times, but the other times he did escape he found big plays downfield.

A lot of TOR's top players got dinged this game.  I wonder what their IR will look like going into next week.
Never go full Rider!

Stretch

Quote from: dd on July 15, 2023, 04:28:01 AM
Just saying, you hear a lot of press about the bombers, Zach being mvp, Willie, biggie, etc, and really, you don?t hear nothing out there about the Argos being a powerhouse or anything. They are a very , very physical, talented and smart team, yet you don?t hear much about them.

Apparently you haven?t watched Sportscentre much recently.  :)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Blue In BC

Kelly has shown a lot of skill. Overall the Argos are a very good team. Solid OL, RB and receivers. Defence is playing well.

They are putting up great arguments to be considered at or near the top until somebody takes them down.

There 3 top teams and then everyone else. The Als might be better than the Elks, Redblacks, Ticats, Riders and Stamps, but that's a sorry looking group.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 15, 2023, 07:24:06 AM
Don't watch the NFL then!!  They do that all the time.  It's somewhat rare in the CFL, and only recently have teams been deploying it regularly.  Seems to mostly be Dickenson The Greater and Dinwiddie.

That last fake 3rd cost them 10y because it was within the 3:00, and their field position wasn't great, so a bit risky.  Maybe they could increase it to 15y as a deterrent.  I wonder if they could differentiate between a "real" timecount (no waggling, just O in disarray) and this fake (multiple waggles, etc) nonsense.

Agreed....albeit I find the play somewhat annoying
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 15, 2023, 01:20:21 PM
Kelly has shown a lot of skill. Overall the Argos are a very good team. Solid OL, RB and receivers. Defence is playing well.

They are putting up great arguments to be considered at or near the top until somebody takes them down.

There 3 top teams and then everyone else. The Als might be better than the Elks, Redblacks, Ticats, Riders and Stamps, but that's a sorry looking group.
Also agreed...,they are good on both sides of the ball.   Also their dual threat running game with Harris and Ouelette is a really effective ground and pound component of their game.    It tires out defences as we did against Calgary with Brady leading the charge.    When we face them we will need all hands on deck including Lawler....
Bomber fan for life

bunker

Argos are a very physical team who won the battle of the trenches. D line is very good, and O line is able to keep Kelly clean, something his mobility also contributes to. Lots of talent all over the lineup. Pinball has put together a solid team.

TBURGESS

Probably the best game of the season to watch. Two good teams going back and forth. Lots of big plays. Lots of big hits. Close to the end.

Montreal is way better than I expected them to be. Not top 3, but they were expected to be on the bottom.

The 3 tiers are:

TOR,BC,WPG
MTL,SKN,CGY
HAM,OTT,EDM
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 15, 2023, 02:04:13 PM
Probably the best game of the season to watch. Two good teams going back and forth. Lots of big plays. Lots of big hits. Close to the end.

Montreal is way better than I expected them to be. Not top 3, but they were expected to be on the bottom.

The 3 tiers are:

TOR,BC,WPG
MTL,SKN,CGY
HAM,OTT,EDM

I am legitimately surprised at Montreal. Thought they would easily be the worst team in the league.

And I thought all of Hammy, EDM, and OTT would be better than they have been. Shows what I know.
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

Quote from: Jesse on July 15, 2023, 02:06:02 PM
I am legitimately surprised at Montreal. Thought they would easily be the worst team in the league.

And I thought all of Hammy, EDM, and OTT would be better than they have been. Shows what I know.

Me too

Toronto may run out of gas given their bye weeks were so early and Chad might hit a wall.  Faj can make plays but the o line and Stanback seem to be an issue. 

That was some fun football last night

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 15, 2023, 07:24:06 AM

I think the penalty should be loss of down, which it is within 3 minute warning, but on 3rd down, you should forfeit possession of the ball if you don?t get the play off. Quit wasting time with this BS play that never works

3rdand1.5

T.O looks very good, The running game they have assembled is unreal, they have a very good o-line and the receivers are playing well. Kelly has been way better than I expected. Not to mention the defence has been aggressive and physical.

A quarter into the season and T.O is the team everyone is looking up to.

IMO Wpg and BC are the next tier, followed by Sask, Cal and Mtrl, with the rest of the league fighting too get anything going.

In Mtrl. Faj has looked pretty good, as much as the prairies like to be hard on him, he is a top QB in the league this year, IMO Zach, Kelly, Vaj, Faj, Harris, and everyone else...

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on July 15, 2023, 02:09:53 PM
Me too

Toronto may run out of gas given their bye weeks were so early and Chad might hit a wall.  Faj can make plays but the o line and Stanback seem to be an issue. 

That was some fun football last night

Hard to tell. I've been impressed by the Argos. OTOH it's 4 games for a new starting QB.  Winnipeg has only lost 4 games in the last 23 regular season games. Continuity over an extended period is worth noting.

Argos won't go undefeated but at the moment they are clearly the best team in the East. Whether they are or will continue to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall, time will tell. Let's not jump the gun quite yet until we see what things look like by mid season.

Other QB's like Harris, Fajardo and Adams looked like world beaters early in their careers. IDK, Kelly could have continued success like BLM. I worry about QB's that run quite a bit getting injured. He's not taking too many big hits yet, but he might as the season progresses.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on July 15, 2023, 03:56:59 PM
T.O looks very good, The running game they have assembled is unreal, they have a very good o-line and the receivers are playing well. Kelly has been way better than I expected. Not to mention the defence has been aggressive and physical.

IMO Wpg and BC are the next tier, followed by Sask, Cal and Mtrl, with the rest of the league fighting too get anything going.

In Mtrl. Faj has looked pretty good, as much as the prairies like to be hard on him, he is a top QB in the league this year, IMO Zach, Kelly, Vaj, Faj, Harris, and everyone else...

Difficult to gauge how the Bombers measure up to the Argos until they play in week 17, they might remain underdogs throughout the season and we won't really know if they have the horses to compete with the Argos until the playoffs end.

theaardvark

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on July 15, 2023, 03:56:59 PM

Did TOR not have Harris, Oulette and 2 FB's in on one play (that was a net loss)?

MTL was so close to winning, and they blew my picks... dang.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 15, 2023, 04:53:04 PM
Difficult to gauge how the Bombers measure up to the Argos until they play in week 17, they might remain underdogs throughout the season and we won't really know if they have the horses to compete with the Argos until the playoffs end.

Another example of a poor cfl schedule...no grey cup rematch till week 17 and the two best teams from last season only play one game against each other. 

They seem to have zero football smarts - no appreciation for what fans would like ??

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on July 15, 2023, 05:01:02 PM
Another example of a poor cfl schedule...no grey cup rematch till week 17 and the two best teams from last season only play one game against each other. 

They seem to have zero football smarts - no appreciation for what fans would like ??

It's so annoying. Why can't the CFL get out of it's own way?
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Kelly's stats are impressive....21/25 for 351 yards with 3 TDs and one pick.    Even the balls he threw that weren't caught were good throws.    He has protection plus he can escape the pocket and throw on the run.
He is being kept on a short leash according to Dinwiddie.....so far it seems to be paying off.    Those numbers are BLM numbers when he was in his prime.    If he continues to play well and keeps winning he will invariant become the top QB in the CFL.....no offence to Zach however he has only started 4 games so far and the season is long.    The rematch between these two teams should be a real battle.....we will know by then which team is likely the team to beat in the CFL.

Both of these teams are looking like repeat contender for the GC.    Chad Kelly and Zach Collars could well be the west and east finalists for the MOP.....that is assuming Kelly stays on his current pace and Zach plays the way he can....

The Grey Cup is won in November and it's one game winner takes all.....we could well be the underdogs in a GC rematch in Hamilton
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 15, 2023, 05:33:16 PM
Kelly's stats are impressive....21/25 for 351 yards with 3 TDs and one pick.    Even the balls he threw that weren't caught were good throws.    He has protection plus he can escape the pocket and throw on the run.
He is being kept on a short leash according to Dinwiddie.....so far it seems to be paying off.    Those numbers are BLM numbers when he was in his prime.    If he continues to play well and keeps winning he will invariant become the top QB in the CFL.....no offence to Zach however he has only started 4 games so far and the season is long.    The rematch between these two teams should be a real battle.....we will know by then which team is likely the team to beat in the CFL.

Both of these teams are looking like repeat contender for the GC.    Chad Kelly and Zach Collars could well be the west and east finalists for the MOP.....that is assuming Kelly stays on his current pace and Zach plays the way he can....

The Grey Cup is won in November and it's one game winner takes all.....we could well be the underdogs in a GC rematch in Hamilton

Can't compare Kelly to BLM who has been in the CFL since 2012 and established a great career over that time.  Kelly will be off to the NFL early next year and will never look back, marking the second high quality QB the CFL has lost to the NFL waiting list in 2 short years. 

GOLDMEMBER

Just watching this game now, half way through

Watching ol Wolfie Eyes Dinwiddie pissed is pure gold. Lol  :D

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 15, 2023, 05:59:35 PM
Can't compare Kelly to BLM who has been in the CFL since 2012 and established a great career over that time.  Kelly will be off to the NFL early next year and will never look back, marking the second high quality QB the CFL has lost to the NFL waiting list in 2 short years. 

All that after 4 games? Kelly will be 30 early next year. It's a little early to think he'll have NFL interest.  He's had some NFL interest earlier. The NFL roster change to 3 QB's might open up some spots but that usually goes to new draft choices.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

dd

Quote from: Jesse on July 15, 2023, 05:15:11 PM
It's so annoying. Why can't the CFL get out of it's own way?
100%. You?d think they?d schedule this marque game 1/3 of the way into the season to make sure both teams are in full stride, and then 2/3 of the way through for the home and home wrap up. It?s a shame they?re so out of it

GOLDMEMBER

GOLDMEMBER

Argos are quite good. Sucks we only play them 1 measly time.

dd

That?s a good thing. They would destroy us the way we re playing right now