Winnipeg @ Ottawa

Started by Pigskin, July 09, 2023, 04:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on July 10, 2023, 03:57:53 PM
No way I would trade a QB for any amount of draft picks.

Agreed. 0% chance we make that move.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on July 10, 2023, 04:35:20 PM
I wouldn't trade for Kongbo. He had a chance to come here and declined. We could trade for Bennett. Winnipeg kid who would look good in Blue and Gold.

He took more money to be closer to home. Things change. It was a rhetorical suggestion. Just saying if another team makes an offer, we can always say no. Some trades benefit both teams. I'm not expecting a trade but we might get some inquiries.

Chances are greater than 0% but not very probable.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

No serious GM trades a league leading Nat Dline starter for a #2 QB, unless that #2 QB is a legit starter in the league that has had a rookie phenom take his place.  Dru Brown is not that player.  Yet.

*IF*  BC offered Betts for Brown or Prukop, I take that in a heartbeat (as long as that was just a cramp at the end of the BC game)

Kongbo on the other hand, while I'd have loved to have him back to rotate with Thomas at the start of the season, Lawson and Bennett have been doing pretty darned good giving Fatboi a break.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on July 10, 2023, 04:48:10 PM
No serious GM trades a league leading Nat Dline starter for a #2 QB, unless that #2 QB is a legit starter in the league that has had a rookie phenom take his place.  Dru Brown is not that player.  Yet.

*IF*  BC offered Betts for Brown or Prukop, I take that in a heartbeat (as long as that was just a cramp at the end of the BC game)

Kongbo on the other hand, while I'd have loved to have him back to rotate with Thomas at the start of the season, Lawson and Bennett have been doing pretty darned good giving Fatboi a break.

Bennett has done little to nothing so far this season. 1 ST in 5 games. Yes, he give JJ94 a rest, but really ineffective when he plays DE. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 10, 2023, 06:15:54 AM
I'd love to go there.  But I'm not in OTT very often (not a fed employee!)  ;)

I've got to believe OTT is on the phone right now to every GM in the CFL desperately looking for a QB.  Masoli was their saviour and without the lure of him "coming back real soon now" it'll be impossible to get butts in the seats.  There will be no hope there.  A GM can't be seen to be doing nothing when in such a situation.  So on the phone they'll go.

The only other option is if they do what MTL did in, what, 2016?, where they started a new QB almost every week.  Like live tryouts (trial by fire) for 5+ QBs.  My money is on a trade.

Ottawa seriously should have picked up Dane Evans in the off-season, especially if they suspected Masoli was going to miss the first 4 games of this season.  Evans signed for peanuts in BC, as a combo they took Hamilton to two G.C.'s in their time together, finding success as the partnership "Hot and Cold".

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on July 10, 2023, 04:56:08 PM
Bennett has done little to nothing so far this season. 1 ST in 5 games. Yes, he give JJ94 a rest, but really ineffective when he plays DE. 

Bennett seems to be almost invisible, rewatching the games it's darn hard to spot him.

ModAdmin

Dustin Crum possibly to start against Winnipeg on Saturday...

Also...

@DarrinBauming
2h
Replying to
@DarrinBauming
Dyce also said they hope to have an update on Jeremiah Masoli later today or tomorrow.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: dd on July 09, 2023, 05:36:57 PM
I think the redblacks will start Arbuckle and see how he does and bring crum in off the bench if need be.
that may seem like their best option unless of course they have completely given up on Arbuckle....he at least has game experience and has been a starter in the past......l
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on July 09, 2023, 05:36:57 PM
I think the redblacks will start Arbuckle and see how he does and bring crum in off the bench if need be.

Dyce has given Crum the start... have to believe that Arbuckle isn't 100% yet... have to believe they will pick someone up this week, with Masoli and Adams injured and Arbuckle nicked, Crum is the only healthy QB on the squad, no QB on the PR... there are probably a lot of potential FA QB options out there, need to find someone that fits Khari's scheme.  Maybe Khari dresses? Probably the best option they have, really...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Did the bombers practice today?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on July 10, 2023, 08:18:22 PM
Did the bombers practice today?

I don't think so. Tues, Wed and then a Thursday walk thru with Friday travel?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bwiser

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 10, 2023, 04:22:58 PM
It's pretty risky unless you have someone on speed dial. Considering how many QB's get injured during the season, I'd like a # 4 on the PR.

I would not say never trade a QB so it would depend on what was offered. Both in talent and SMS cost coming back in return.  Getting a Canadian starter talent level in return for a # 2 QB?

Not that the Lions are going to trade Betts, but it would be difficult to ignore that for Brown just as an example.

OTOH, would we be willing to trade Prukop to get Kongo back?

I'm not expecting the Bombers to make a QB trade, just saying another team might make an offer. You listen to the offer before flat out refusing.
Someone on speed dial like Pigrome??

Blue In BC

Quote from: bwiser on July 10, 2023, 08:34:42 PM
Someone on speed dial like Pigrome??

No someone that has played in a league beyond college. FL, USFL or NFL players. I liked what I saw from Pigrome but he's not going to be a choice for a # 2 spot immediately. Alex McGough from the Birmingham Stallions for example.

Whether he's even a free agent or interested in the CFL IDK. However, he's had very recent experience. CFL money may not be a significant lure.

We don't know what our coaches saw or didn't see in TC or practice. 2 or 3 nice plays don't automatically move him up to " next ".
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 10, 2023, 09:24:50 PM
No someone that has played in a league beyond college. FL, USFL or NFL players. I liked what I saw from Pigrome but he's not going to be a choice for a # 2 spot immediately. Alex McGough from the Birmingham Stallions for example.

Whether he's even a free agent or interested in the CFL IDK. However, he's had very recent experience. CFL money may not be a significant lure.

We don't know what our coaches saw or didn't see in TC or practice. 2 or 3 nice plays don't automatically move him up to " next ".

McGough will get NFL interest with their expanded QB rosters this year.  A few USFL QB's will benefit from that.  And maybe some XFL ones, like Sloter, Perez, McCarron or Ta'amu.  You have to wonder if Dwayne wants any of is guys to come north...

That said, there is no end to the NCAA QB "almost made it to the NFL" pool.  They actually made a movie based on that... "The Replacements"...  ;)   The key is to find these diamonds in the rough, and teach them 3 down ball. 

GOLDMEMBER

Masoli torn Achilles done for the year and maybe for good. :'(
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!