Winnipeg @ Montreal

Started by Pigskin, June 29, 2023, 11:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 05, 2023, 01:02:16 PM
Teams with the best QB's generally win. Bombers have Collaros and he's the best. Lions and Argos don't have even the 2nd level QB's at this point.

I don't know how you could determine that, Zach has proven he can play very well on a great team but in the past when the quality of his team has been deficient, he has not looked anything like the best QB in the CFL.  He's currently playing for the right team at the right time.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 05, 2023, 09:27:46 PM
I don't know how you could determine that, Zach has proven he can play very well on a great team but in the past when the quality of his team has been deficient, he has not looked anything like the best QB in the CFL.  He's currently playing for the right team at the right time.

It's not a matter of the level of success. As you mentioned a great player on a bad team will struggle. The point is what's between his ears. He totally understands what he sees on the field. He makes sound decisions and protects the ball. He has very good touch on his passes etc.

On a talented roster, that's a winning combination.

Technically you can't under value the actual success on the field but that was not my total determination on my statement.

Anyone besides you want to dispute he's the best?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

The cfl has always been a Qb driven league...you?re Qbs good and your team generally wins, he?s bad, and you generally lose. Collaros is by far the best Qb in this league, absolute hands down. Maier, VA, and Taylor Cornelius are distant #2 s at best. Harris is a serviceable #1, BLM is a has been, chad Kelly still learning , masoli, we ll see how much rust he has coming off the IR,CJ-middle of the road Qb

pjrocksmb

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2023, 03:08:30 AM
The cfl has always been a Qb driven league...you?re Qbs good and your team generally wins, he?s bad, and you generally lose. Collaros is by far the best Qb in this league, absolute hands down. Maier, VA, and Taylor Cornelius are distant #2 s at best. Harris is a serviceable #1, BLM is a has been, chad Kelly still learning , masoli, we ll see how much rust he has coming off the IR,CJ-middle of the road Qb
Agree all but VA is a 1A IMO that sometimes is a #4 lol
Maier could be a 1A but has started poorly. 

dd

Maier has a decent team but has been junk so far. Adams is waaay too inconsistent, that?s been his career though, consistently inconsistent. Edmonton is going nowhere with Cornelius , he? ll be run out of town with Jones in the upcoming weeks

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 05, 2023, 08:42:15 PM
He clearly said they game plan for their upcoming opponents.   They don't buy into the fluff and newspaper clippings but they digest the film of their opponents and build a game plan. He was clear on that

I'll have to listen again.  The impression I got was he says they do film study to find tendencies and work on what the opponent has shown in the past.  But he also said they don't change who they are.  They don't plan for things they don't see on film.

What I got from his statements made me feel good on one hand, but nervous on the other.  I guess I just wanted to hear other things.

What he said didn't give me confidence we'd out-coach TOR in the next GC.  If TOR runs all year then comes out in the GC and just passes all 1st half while we're trying to just stop the run, we're going to have a problem.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 05, 2023, 09:27:46 PM

It's almost as if a QB needs talented pieces around him in order to be successful.

What Collaros brings to the table in terms of skillset has never been in question.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 06, 2023, 04:55:53 AM
I'll have to listen again.  The impression I got was he says they do film study to find tendencies and work on what the opponent has shown in the past.  But he also said they don't change who they are.  They don't plan for things they don't see on film.

What I got from his statements made me feel good on one hand, but nervous on the other.  I guess I just wanted to hear other things.

What he said didn't give me confidence we'd out-coach TOR in the next GC.  If TOR runs all year then comes out in the GC and just passes all 1st half while we're trying to just stop the run, we're going to have a problem.

...a few things...

1) Good teams execute what they do well over and over. They don't fundamentally change week to week. Why is Demski always catching TDs on corner routes? Other teams scout that and try to take it away. Have we stopped doing it?
2) If Toronto 'runs all year' and then comes out throwing in the Grey Cup, that's probably a good thing for us. Teams who win play to their strengths.
3) What gameplan in the history of the sport only accounts for one thing? For example, If we are playing a run heavy team, and we move people closer to the line of scrimmage to take that away, then just by our look the offense may start throwing the ball more. That is a sign things are working, not the other way around. The goal is usually to defend what the other team does best (hello, Bill Belichick). Remember, once the ball is snapped, the offense runs the play. The defense reacts. You cannot be right all the time especially if the offense is on the same page and executing their options well but if you can take away what they do best, you will very likely win -- or at least, that's really all you can ask of a defense.