Winnipeg @ Montreal

Started by Pigskin, June 29, 2023, 11:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Montreal has a pretty decent D. The Bombers OL will have to play much better then they did BC. If JJ94 is back in the lineup our DL should be much better. Has Bennett made a play yet? Jake 1 DTs. Walker 6 DTs.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Waffler

Quote from: Pigskin on June 29, 2023, 11:34:09 PM
  The Bombers OL will have to play much better then they did BC. 

They ran after practice but just half of what Wiley used to demand. Still a change for the better I think, they really were pushing it.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

pjrocksmb

Should bounce back but Montreal will be going for it hard as they might smell blood seeing we laid an egg

Jesse

Well, I can't tell you how disappointed I am that Lawler is still missing.

Really need our offence to snap back after that beat down. Looking forward to see how they incorporate McCrae. I think he's the release valve we needed to beat the blitzes last week. We'll see if the Als try to play us the same way and if we can take advantage.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on June 29, 2023, 11:34:09 PM
Montreal has a pretty decent D. The Bombers OL will have to play much better then they did BC. If JJ94 is back in the lineup our DL should be much better. Has Bennett made a play yet? Jake 1 DTs. Walker 6 DTs.
No Bennet has not done much of anything. Do not recall his name mentioned as all.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 30, 2023, 03:02:07 AM
No Bennet has not done much of anything. Do not recall his name mentioned as all.

Took a penalty last game i think

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 30, 2023, 03:02:07 AM

Didn't have high hopes. Never been less excited for a draft pick in any sport.

Thank god for Haba. He's been awesome.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: The Zipp on June 30, 2023, 03:19:08 AM
Took a penalty last game i think

A needless roughing the passer penalty because he finally got close enough to the QB to do something. Sounds harsh, but true. That said, it's a tough transition he's making so you gotta have patience with those guys.

Blue In BC

Depth chart. It appears that Fox is off due to Jeffcoat back in. OTOH it shows Agudosi as a GTD.  McCrae was added to the AR so that's a bit of a contradiction and I expect Agudosi sits this week, although Jackson is also shown as not playing.  So we might see one last change on game day. I'd rather see Fox play than an extra receiver.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz3_P7xXsAA4yTK?format=jpg&name=medium

EDIT: The other site suggests Demski is a GTD due to his girlfriend about to give birth. Congratulations on that but that explains the GTD for Agudosi as well but not how we adjust the ratio ( Kramdi for Darby )?

Not liking those possibilities and Kramdi was nicked this week and Darby was recovering from illness.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2023, 02:06:04 PM
Depth chart. It appears that Fox is off due to Jeffcoat back in. OTOH it shows Agudosi as a GTD.  McCrae was added to the AR so that's a bit of a contradiction and I expect Agudosi sits this week, although Jackson is also shown as not playing.  So we might see one last change on game day. I'd rather see Fox play than an extra receiver.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz3_P7xXsAA4yTK?format=jpg&name=medium

EDIT: The other site suggests Demski is a GTD due to his girlfriend about to give birth. Congratulations on that but that explains the GTD for Agudosi as well but not how we adjust the ratio ( Kramdi for Darby )?

Not liking those possibilities and Kramdi was nicked this week and Darby was recovering from illness.

Yeah, I'm not sure how we adjust for the ratio if Demski is out and Kramdi is unable to go.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 30, 2023, 03:18:04 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how we adjust for the ratio if Demski is out and Kramdi is unable to go.

AS I see it Kramdi GTD and Agudosi GTD is dependent on Demski GTD.
If Demski is out then Kramdi starts at SAM (Darby as backup) and Agudosi starts at Demski's spot. We might see Murphy addded as the 20th Canadian.
If Demski is in then Darby starts and Agudosi goes to IR or PR as a DI maybe

BBRT

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 30, 2023, 03:34:41 PM
AS I see it Kramdi GTD and Agudosi GTD is dependent on Demski GTD.
If Demski is out then Kramdi starts at SAM (Darby as backup) and Agudosi starts at Demski's spot. We might see Murphy addded as the 20th Canadian.
If Demski is in then Darby starts and Agudosi goes to IR or PR

That is how I see it also - wild card is Demski and that will be a GTD.

TecnoGenius

Well, there's another downside of an older team... all the dudes start having babies and games are missed.  Something to be said for a team full of 23yo guys... bachelors all the way.
Never go full Rider!

dd

A team full of 23 yo is nothing but party mode 24-7. Don?t you remember 23?? You need a mature leadership to keep things on the straight and narrow.

As for dudes having babies, I ve yet to meet a dude who?s had a baby, didn?t think it was possible.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 01, 2023, 01:38:33 AM
Well, there's another downside of an older team... all the dudes start having babies and games are missed.  Something to be said for a team full of 23yo guys... bachelors all the way.

weird comment. Eye roll ::).

NewBlue

Quote from: Jesse on June 30, 2023, 02:33:42 AM
Well, I can't tell you how disappointed I am that Lawler is still missing.

Really need our offence to snap back after that beat down. Looking forward to see how they incorporate McCrae. I think he's the release valve we needed to beat the blitzes last week. We'll see if the Als try to play us the same way and if we can take advantage.

Agree on all points.
They'll send it too, how will we respondD

bwiser

Having McRae in the lineup makes a lot of sense with Demski's status up in the air. Olivera has missed practice most of this week so if he can't finish the game McRae could be an option. I hope Demski can play because we need our quality Nationals in the lineup.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bwiser on July 01, 2023, 03:23:56 PM
Having McRae in the lineup makes a lot of sense with Demski's status up in the air. Olivera has missed practice most of this week so if he can't finish the game McRae could be an option. I hope Demski can play because we need our quality Nationals in the lineup.

It's the flip side of what it does on defence because of the ratio requirement. I'm still thinking O'Leary-Orange could / should start ahead of Agudosi as the lesser of two problems.

I guess fingers are crossed about Demski but if he plays this week he may be unavailable next week depending on baby arrival date. We play the Stamps next Friday at home. At least that eliminates any travel time issue of proximity if he has to leave for the hospital?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

Demski not playing would be a large knock on our offensive talent. But having a baby is pretty awesome.

We should know by this point, if he is at the hotel wit the team he is playing, if he is not at the hotel he is with his lady waiting for the baby.

Let's keep Zack clean this week. I do believe we have the talent to do that. I am still partially worried about the front 7 on defence.

Waffler

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on July 01, 2023, 03:57:21 PM
Demski... if he is at the hotel wit the team he is playing, if he is not at the hotel he is with his lady waiting for the baby.

He did not travel with the team. Would have to be last minute if he can make it.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

ModAdmin

Confirmed Demski will not be in the lineup today.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 01, 2023, 05:05:14 PM
Confirmed Demski will not be in the lineup today.

It says on CFL.CA that he'll dress but not play. That's even more confusing.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

time for Woli, Agudosi, Schoen, BOLO, Bailey and McCrae to shine....being short Demski and Lawler opens the door for others to step up.
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 01, 2023, 09:52:27 AM
weird comment. Eye roll ::).

But it's true!  When's the last time we had 2 starters miss consecutive games due to childbirth?  I'm thinking never.  These missed games can be the difference between winning and losing (do we take those 2 long DPIs last week if Houston is in?).  Again, I'm fine with them doing this, but it has a cost.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 01, 2023, 06:14:59 PM
It says on CFL.CA that he'll dress but not play. That's even more confusing.

Where are you seeing that?  In a stats/roster page or in a written article?  If the former, I'd love to know the URL so I can get more depth-chart-y info, now that the normal CFL game notes page is perennially busticated.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Schoen and Woli need to step up even more.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 01, 2023, 08:08:23 PM
Where are you seeing that?  In a stats/roster page or in a written article?  If the former, I'd love to know the URL so I can get more depth-chart-y info, now that the normal CFL game notes page is perennially busticated.

It was in the written article. Now a newer article says he's not playing.  " Bombers visit Als on Canda Day matchup".
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 01, 2023, 08:18:26 PM
Schoen and Woli need to step up even more.
And they both did in spades....
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

3rdand1.5

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 02, 2023, 04:31:49 AM
yes, yes they did. Now we drink!
Woli had his parents fly in for the game and he was outstanding as was Dalton....both of these guys really stepped up in the absence of ND10
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Re-watched the game this morning.

A few mistakes that need to be corrected but we make big plays when the chips are down.

Alexander made THE play of the game IMO. 14 point swing.

Houston is always on the spot when a ball is on the ground. Great work.

Note to Sheahan: Don't try a pass on a botched snap for the last play of the half. Zero to be gained in that situation. YIKES.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 02, 2023, 02:16:55 PM

A few mistakes that need to be corrected but we make big plays when the chips are down.

Note to Sheahan: Don't try a pass on a botched snap for the last play of the half. Zero to be gained in that situation. YIKES.

I don't know how many years BA has left as the starting Safety as he looks to be slowing up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Evan Holm is the next one, he has great speed and the mobility to cover the backend from corner to corner.  He doesn't have the bulk to punish receiver but seems to be a good form tackler, as the CFL evolves in the future punishing receivers with bone crunching hits is likely to be discouraged anyway.

Blue In BC

I did notice BA slowing down on his int return. OTOH, weaving in and out of traffic and running 70 or more yards at speed, is not easy.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 03, 2023, 04:28:20 PM
I did notice BA slowing down on his int return. OTOH, weaving in and out of traffic and running 70 or more yards at speed, is not easy.
The  Als just drove the field to get to the 20-ish Then the  pick and the run back. I would say he has reason to be labouring on the back end.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 03, 2023, 04:11:18 PM
I don't know how many years BA has left as the starting Safety as he looks to be slowing up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Evan Holm is the next one, he has great speed and the mobility to cover the backend from corner to corner.  He doesn't have the bulk to punish receiver but seems to be a good form tackler, as the CFL evolves in the future punishing receivers with bone crunching hits is likely to be discouraged anyway.

Abu Daramy-Swaray might be another candidate for FS... he seems to hit a ton... bent a couple receivers backwards last game, and drove them back with the hit.

So, is a AS15, Abu, ADS... we need a nick name for him...  I'm liking this player, and liked Holm since last year... either we are scouting good DB's, have a scheme that they thrive in, or are coaching them up great, but we never seem to have issues eventually finding players to fit the holes.  Might take a game or two, but voila...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 03, 2023, 05:04:37 PM
Abu Daramy-Swaray might be another candidate for FS... he seems to hit a ton... bent a couple receivers backwards last game, and drove them back with the hit.

So, is a AS15, Abu, ADS... we need a nick name for him...  I'm liking this player, and liked Holm since last year... either we are scouting good DB's, have a scheme that they thrive in, or are coaching them up great, but we never seem to have issues eventually finding players to fit the holes.  Might take a game or two, but voila...

I expect ADS will get shuffled to the bottom of the deck once Rose, Parker and Lawrence return, but he'll benefit from a year as a backup as Houston did his first year, and be ready to become a starter by next season.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 03, 2023, 06:02:20 PM
I expect ADS will get shuffled to the bottom of the deck once Rose, Parker and Lawrence return, but he'll benefit from a year as a backup as Houston did his first year, and be ready to become a starter by next season.

I think ADS15 is as good as Lawrence. But, he would take a back seat to Rose and Parker at this point.

kkc60

Quote from: Pigskin on July 03, 2023, 06:58:24 PM
I think ADS15 is as good as Lawrence. But, he would take a back seat to Rose and Parker at this point.
Parker is a halfback though, no?

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 02, 2023, 02:16:55 PM

Yeah....I mentioned this bone headed pass attempt in my good, bad, ugly post.   Luckily it hit the turf before being scooped up by the Als...I'm sure he received some "coaching" from MOS and our STs coordinator after that play....or at least I hope he did!
Also agree that BA's pick near the goal line was the turning point and we made that a 14 point swing.   The Als score there and it's a different ball game.   That was a huge momentum swing and sank the dagger in the hearts of the Als going up 17 - Zip at that point in the game!   
Someone mentioned he slowed down on his pick return however he made some good moves near our 40, broke a tackle and took it to their 46.   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 03, 2023, 05:04:37 PM
So, is a AS15, Abu, ADS... we need a nick name for him...

How about Swarm, as he swarms to the ball carrier and smothers him. (Ya, one person can't be a swarm, but, hey, close enough.)

Quote from: Pigskin on July 03, 2023, 06:02:04 PM
ADS15.

ADS sounds like a terminal disease!
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 03, 2023, 08:01:48 PM
Yeah....I mentioned this bone headed pass attempt in my good, bad, ugly post.   Luckily it hit the turf before being scooped up by the Als...I'm sure he received some "coaching" from MOS and our STs coordinator after that play....or at least I hope he did!
Also agree that BA's pick near the goal line was the turning point and we made that a 14 point swing.   The Als score there and it's a different ball game.   That was a huge momentum swing and sank the dagger in the hearts of the Als going up 17 - Zip at that point in the game!   
Someone mentioned he slowed down on his pick return however he made some good moves near our 40, broke a tackle and took it to their 46.   

You could really see the difference in speed between BA and Holm on that deep ball completion chasing after Mack.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on July 03, 2023, 06:58:24 PM

A comment about ADS15 during the Argo game. He's 3rd best in lowest number in the CFL of completions in his coverage responsibilities.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 04, 2023, 02:23:23 AM
A comment about ADS15 during the Argo game. He's 3rd best in lowest number in the CFL of completions in his coverage responsibilities.

Saw that on the BC/TOR game graphic and was shocked... he did get a lot of pigskin thrown his way. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 03, 2023, 10:25:33 PM
How about Swarm, as he swarms to the ball carrier and smothers him. (Ya, one person can't be a swarm, but, hey, close enough.)

ADS sounds like a terminal disease!

Yeah it does sound like a medical term....

"An acute (abrupt) onset of inflammatory demyelination of the central nervous system (CNS) is called acquired demyelinating syndrome (ADS)".
Bomber fan for life

bwiser

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 03, 2023, 06:02:20 PM
I really like the play of ADS. He had a decent game against BC but he looked more confident as the Montreal game went on. He defended well and was a solid tackler. If he keeps playing at this high level I don't see him coming out of the lineup. He is likely making close to the CFL minimum so his contract will help his chances of being a big part of the 2023 team.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on July 04, 2023, 03:05:59 PM
I really like the play of ADS. He had a decent game against BC but he looked more confident as the Montreal game went on. He defended well and was a solid tackler. If he keeps playing at this high level I don't see him coming out of the lineup. He is likely making close to the CFL minimum so his contract will help his chances of being a big part of the 2023 team.

None of the DB's are making big money, so budget isn't really an issue.  Problem with keeping him in the lineup is the depth lined up behind him once they recover from injury, someone will have to be shuffled to the PR and chances are it will be the rookie.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 04, 2023, 03:31:16 PM
None of the DB's are making big money, so budget isn't really an issue.  Problem with keeping him in the lineup is the depth lined up behind him once they recover from injury, someone will have to be shuffled to the PR and chances are it will be the rookie.

Or, you can move on from a larger SMS veteran...

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 04, 2023, 03:31:16 PM

Our DB's have been the biggest group getting injuries. Hard to say who will be healthy again or when. Who gets injured next or when is also a question. He got nicked in the last game and might not be available this week.

So we might see musical chairs dictated by injuries rather than several being available at the same time.  If so, let the chips fall where they may. We might even choose to DI a DB in the future.

And yes, we might choose to move on from a veteran if we find ourselves with an excess.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 04, 2023, 05:09:21 PM
Our DB's have been the biggest group getting injuries. Hard to say who will be healthy again or when. Who gets injured next or when is also a question. He got nicked in the last game and might not be available this week.

So we might see musical chairs dictated by injuries rather than several being available at the same time.  If so, let the chips fall where they may. We might even choose to DI a DB in the future.

And yes, we might choose to move on from a veteran if we find ourselves with an excess.

I think playing musical chairs with the secondary is unsettling, they won't improve as a unit until they establish a starting 5 and find the right chemistry.  Hopefully injuries don't continue to plague that unit throughout the season.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 04, 2023, 05:47:13 PM
I think playing musical chairs with the secondary is unsettling, they won't improve as a unit until they establish a starting 5 and find the right chemistry.  Hopefully injuries don't continue to plague that unit throughout the season.

Fair enough but you can't prevent injuries and we've had a run of bad luck with those. I've only heard that Rose might be closer to healthy so he could be ready to come off early ( not likely ) but after he finishes his 6 game sting.

Lawrence just went on 6 game IR last week, and Parker after the 2nd game?  Obviously players can come off early but we don't know the actual extent of either injury.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 04, 2023, 05:07:05 PM
Or, you can move on from a larger SMS veteran...

BC ate our DBs raw.  We had a number of vets out.  The rookies/sophomores look ok and maybe have a promising future, but I want our A-team out there:

Rose  Nichols  BA  Parker  Houston

I never liked Lawrence from day 1 of the signing.  When in he's been ok, but in a perfect world he's on the PR as depth only.  Holm and Swarm are looking good enough to jump him on the depth ladder soon.

We're going to need our A-team (or better!) to win against BC and TOR.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 04, 2023, 08:47:37 PM
BC ate our DBs raw.  We had a number of vets out.  The rookies/sophomores look ok and maybe have a promising future, but I want our A-team out there:

I never liked Lawrence from day 1 of the signing.  When in he's been ok, but in a perfect world he's on the PR as depth only.  Holm and Swarm are looking good enough to jump him on the depth ladder soon.

Thats my thinking....
Bomber fan for life

kkc60

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 04, 2023, 08:47:37 PM

I like that backfield. Holm as a DI and we should be good

GOLDMEMBER

Off topic but kinda in topic todays coaches show was actual quite good good. Great questions where Coach seemed to enjoy shredding light on multiple topics like pre game delay, penalties, pre scouting opponents habits, Brady insight especially receiving abilities, teams habits.

I was entertained and engaged.

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 05, 2023, 12:55:36 AM
Off topic but kinda in topic todays coaches show was actual quite good good. Great questions where Coach seemed to enjoy shredding light on multiple topics like pre game delay, penalties, pre scouting opponents habits, Brady insight especially receiving abilities, teams habits.

I was entertained and engaged.

That's good to hear. I'll try and give it a listen tomorrow.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Yup, better show than usual with lots of not-gonna-find-elsewhere thoughts from MOS.

I am a bit concerned about MOS's ideas about just playing Bomber ball and not trying extra hard to do anything drastically different for an important opponent.  It's that kind of thinking that lost us the GC because TOR clearly came up with a different plan just to defeat us.  How many of us said it was clear in the GC we were out-coached?

In the past it worked fine because we were just so much better than all the other teams.  Now we are no longer miles above the others.  We are probably on par with BC and TOR.  Maybe still a bit better, but not miles.  They will out-coach us again if we don't pull out all the stops to beat them in the planning room, especially in the post-season.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 05, 2023, 06:28:45 AM
Yup, better show than usual with lots of not-gonna-find-elsewhere thoughts from MOS.

I am a bit concerned about MOS's ideas about just playing Bomber ball and not trying extra hard to do anything drastically different for an important opponent.  It's that kind of thinking that lost us the GC because TOR clearly came up with a different plan just to defeat us.  How many of us said it was clear in the GC we were out-coached?

In the past it worked fine because we were just so much better than all the other teams.  Now we are no longer miles above the others.  We are probably on par with BC and TOR.  Maybe still a bit better, but not miles.  They will out-coach us again if we don't pull out all the stops to beat them in the planning room, especially in the post-season.

Teams with the best QB's generally win. Bombers have Collaros and he's the best. Lions and Argos don't have even the 2nd level QB's at this point.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 05, 2023, 06:28:45 AM

He clearly said they game plan for their upcoming opponents.   They don't buy into the fluff and newspaper clippings but they digest the film of their opponents and build a game plan. He was clear on that

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 05, 2023, 01:02:16 PM
Teams with the best QB's generally win. Bombers have Collaros and he's the best. Lions and Argos don't have even the 2nd level QB's at this point.

I don't know how you could determine that, Zach has proven he can play very well on a great team but in the past when the quality of his team has been deficient, he has not looked anything like the best QB in the CFL.  He's currently playing for the right team at the right time.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 05, 2023, 09:27:46 PM
I don't know how you could determine that, Zach has proven he can play very well on a great team but in the past when the quality of his team has been deficient, he has not looked anything like the best QB in the CFL.  He's currently playing for the right team at the right time.

It's not a matter of the level of success. As you mentioned a great player on a bad team will struggle. The point is what's between his ears. He totally understands what he sees on the field. He makes sound decisions and protects the ball. He has very good touch on his passes etc.

On a talented roster, that's a winning combination.

Technically you can't under value the actual success on the field but that was not my total determination on my statement.

Anyone besides you want to dispute he's the best?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

The cfl has always been a Qb driven league...you?re Qbs good and your team generally wins, he?s bad, and you generally lose. Collaros is by far the best Qb in this league, absolute hands down. Maier, VA, and Taylor Cornelius are distant #2 s at best. Harris is a serviceable #1, BLM is a has been, chad Kelly still learning , masoli, we ll see how much rust he has coming off the IR,CJ-middle of the road Qb

pjrocksmb

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2023, 03:08:30 AM
The cfl has always been a Qb driven league...you?re Qbs good and your team generally wins, he?s bad, and you generally lose. Collaros is by far the best Qb in this league, absolute hands down. Maier, VA, and Taylor Cornelius are distant #2 s at best. Harris is a serviceable #1, BLM is a has been, chad Kelly still learning , masoli, we ll see how much rust he has coming off the IR,CJ-middle of the road Qb
Agree all but VA is a 1A IMO that sometimes is a #4 lol
Maier could be a 1A but has started poorly. 

dd

Maier has a decent team but has been junk so far. Adams is waaay too inconsistent, that?s been his career though, consistently inconsistent. Edmonton is going nowhere with Cornelius , he? ll be run out of town with Jones in the upcoming weeks

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 05, 2023, 08:42:15 PM
He clearly said they game plan for their upcoming opponents.   They don't buy into the fluff and newspaper clippings but they digest the film of their opponents and build a game plan. He was clear on that

I'll have to listen again.  The impression I got was he says they do film study to find tendencies and work on what the opponent has shown in the past.  But he also said they don't change who they are.  They don't plan for things they don't see on film.

What I got from his statements made me feel good on one hand, but nervous on the other.  I guess I just wanted to hear other things.

What he said didn't give me confidence we'd out-coach TOR in the next GC.  If TOR runs all year then comes out in the GC and just passes all 1st half while we're trying to just stop the run, we're going to have a problem.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 05, 2023, 09:27:46 PM

It's almost as if a QB needs talented pieces around him in order to be successful.

What Collaros brings to the table in terms of skillset has never been in question.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 06, 2023, 04:55:53 AM
I'll have to listen again.  The impression I got was he says they do film study to find tendencies and work on what the opponent has shown in the past.  But he also said they don't change who they are.  They don't plan for things they don't see on film.

What I got from his statements made me feel good on one hand, but nervous on the other.  I guess I just wanted to hear other things.

What he said didn't give me confidence we'd out-coach TOR in the next GC.  If TOR runs all year then comes out in the GC and just passes all 1st half while we're trying to just stop the run, we're going to have a problem.

...a few things...

1) Good teams execute what they do well over and over. They don't fundamentally change week to week. Why is Demski always catching TDs on corner routes? Other teams scout that and try to take it away. Have we stopped doing it?
2) If Toronto 'runs all year' and then comes out throwing in the Grey Cup, that's probably a good thing for us. Teams who win play to their strengths.
3) What gameplan in the history of the sport only accounts for one thing? For example, If we are playing a run heavy team, and we move people closer to the line of scrimmage to take that away, then just by our look the offense may start throwing the ball more. That is a sign things are working, not the other way around. The goal is usually to defend what the other team does best (hello, Bill Belichick). Remember, once the ball is snapped, the offense runs the play. The defense reacts. You cannot be right all the time especially if the offense is on the same page and executing their options well but if you can take away what they do best, you will very likely win -- or at least, that's really all you can ask of a defense.