Blue Bombers transactions - June 12, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, June 12, 2023, 03:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 12, 2023, 04:49:14 PM
Rose and Parker are both in 6-game. After that might need to recondition before getting into the lineup. Muhammad went to battle vs Schoen last year. He has the sane physicality as Parker. Holms stays since he can do KR too. If anything, Rose will be the odd man out, I think.

Agree, the Bomber aren't going to hand Rose or Parker a Job, if Holms is playing lights out good.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on June 12, 2023, 06:09:12 PM
Agree, the Bomber aren't going to hand Rose or Parker a Job, if Holms is playing lights out good.

We'll see in the next game I thought Holm's coverage was a bit loose, BLM kept picking on him but his accuracy was way off. Trevor Harris quick passes to Derel Walker or Banes could reveal a different story.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Lost in the shuffle, DB #6 Matt Cole, excellent speed and had some great returns and ST tackles in pre-season, hard to believe they can't maintain a spot on the PR for a guy with that much athletic talent.  What for do they have a second O-line worth of players waiting in reserve?  If Thomas and Cole hang around Wpg. that would be a good thing.  ;D

I see they placed both Fox and Muhammad directly on the PR, so maybe they're content with that and nothing will happen for awhile.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 12, 2023, 04:49:14 PM
Rose and Parker are both in 6-game. After that might need to recondition before getting into the lineup. Muhammad went to battle vs Schoen last year. He has the sane physicality as Parker. Holms stays since he can do KR too. If anything, Rose will be the odd man out, I think.

We don't have good depth at DB once you consider the current injuries.  If another gets injured, we're starting NATs or nobodies.

Holm is in an interesting place since he has had a great camp, great PS, and great week 1.  I'm positive that if Parker and Rose were healthy before week 1 Holm would have been the one on the bench.  That's a good depth problem to have.  We would have put Holm in if one of the other guys wasn't living up to expectations.  But now that Holm has been great in-season, it will be hard to bench him unless he starts stinking (MOS's "hot hand" tendencies).

I'm still a big Rose supporter.  He has the most experience and great physical attributes.  It was his brain that malfunctioned a bit (and shades of over-confidence) last season.  I'm eager to see him prove to everyone he's our best DB.  If he slots back in and gets blown away for big TDs, then I guess you could consider trade-bait, but ageing IMP DBs don't command much unless it's an emergency need down the stretch.

If Rose goes, then the last of the 2019 drought-ending DBs will be gone and that era fades away (excluding FS BA).
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

These are good moves.

Rose and are starters if healthy.

Holm is decent might be great one day.

We keep getting better.

DM83

Rose has sucked the last two years. period.  He has shown zero, and now is injured again or still. Younger cheaper guys are out there.
Agreed Rose was awesome, after the NFL try-out he has been non-competitive.

Houston saved his job with an awesome game

Alexander was also as good as good gets.

The rest of he defence also played without fault, super efforts, and almost always in position. almost.  Nice to see we are back.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 12, 2023, 06:49:30 PM
Rose has sucked the last two years. period.  He has shown zero, and now is injured again or still. Younger cheaper guys are out there.

It's really only 2022 that Rose was giving up around 1 big explosion a game.  And he made up for it a bit by making some huge plays in the post-season.  My gut says he can fix the problem, which is upstairs.  It's not like he's gotten slow or stiff.

Houston was superb, but we knew that last year.  His job was secure here no matter what.  However, he did whiff on one important tackle in the exact same way he did all the time in his rookie year: arms sliding down the carrier and he slips out.  At least this time the slipping slowed the carrier down enough that help could get there shortly after.  He had really cleaned up the weak tackling last season, so hopefully this is just a one-off.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Yep.  Plus no tackling at practice is dumb.  I don't see Rose coming back with us.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 12, 2023, 07:12:37 PM
Yep.  Plus no tackling at practice is dumb.  I don't see Rose coming back with us.

He was a quick re-signing in the off-season.  He's injured way less than Jeffcoat.  If I had to bet on one, I'd say Jeffcoat gets released before Rose (but I think we retain both the whole season).  I see no indication that we'll cut him.  And if he makes a fast return (like in week 2 or 3) I think he still gets AR'd.  Only if he languishes on IR for 6+ games and guys like Lawrence have the games of their lives will we see Rose not start.

Lawrence looked ok so far, but he didn't get many looks.  Holm was the one oft-tested and he's the one that's working to earn a permanent AR spot.

With Parker gone for many weeks, I don't see how you cut any of our vet DBs.  Look what that one bad rookie DB cost HAM in week 1!!  Ouch.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on June 12, 2023, 06:49:30 PM

Alexander was also as good as good gets.

The rest of he defence also played without fault, super efforts, and almost always in position. almost.  Nice to see we are back.
Overstated on the negative.

Rose struggled at times last year and was dealing with an injury.  He also made a lot of plays.

Great player that has taken a step back with injury.  If can get healthy he is a key member of this team.
Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 12, 2023, 07:07:50 PM
It's really only 2022 that Rose was giving up around 1 big explosion a game.  And he made up for it a bit by making some huge plays in the post-season.  My gut says he can fix the problem, which is upstairs.  It's not like he's gotten slow or stiff.

Houston was superb, but we knew that last year.  His job was secure here no matter what.  However, he did whiff on one important tackle in the exact same way he did all the time in his rookie year: arms sliding down the carrier and he slips out.  At least this time the slipping slowed the carrier down enough that help could get there shortly after.  He had really cleaned up the weak tackling last season, so hopefully this is just a one-off.

Agree all, great in playoffs
Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 12, 2023, 07:55:40 PM
He was a quick re-signing in the off-season.  He's injured way less than Jeffcoat.  If I had to bet on one, I'd say Jeffcoat gets released before Rose (but I think we retain both the whole season).  I see no indication that we'll cut him.  And if he makes a fast return (like in week 2 or 3) I think he still gets AR'd.  Only if he languishes on IR for 6+ games and guys like Lawrence have the games of their lives will we see Rose not start.

Lawrence looked ok so far, but he didn't get many looks.  Holm was the one oft-tested and he's the one that's working to earn a permanent AR spot.

With Parker gone for many weeks, I don't see how you cut any of our vet DBs.  Look what that one bad rookie DB cost HAM in week 1!!  Ouch.

Agree with most.  I bet we keep both Jeffcoat and Rose.  Both too good to cut even nicked up.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on June 12, 2023, 10:38:15 PM
I bet we keep both Jeffcoat and Rose.  Both too good to cut even nicked up.

Yes, I can see Pinball immediately signing Jeffcoat if we cut him, and he'd say "it's a gift", then probably win another GC with him starting.  Rose would almost certainly get snapped up, too.  We ride with Jeffcoat this season and look at any cut in the off-season.  But it's hard for us fans to not be a bit disappointed in week 1.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 12, 2023, 10:51:33 PM
Yes, I can see Pinball immediately signing Jeffcoat if we cut him, and he'd say "it's a gift", then probably win another GC with him starting.  Rose would almost certainly get snapped up, too.  We ride with Jeffcoat this season and look at any cut in the off-season.  But it's hard for us fans to not be a bit disappointed in week 1.

Would be goodie goodie gum drops for most clubs if we cut these ballers.

Now back to the Lemon discussion.  He is good but old and $.  I would rather see a young stud, get reps and develop.  Lemon bounces around and might be out of hops.  Hope not because he is fun to watch.  Old school good.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on June 12, 2023, 06:09:12 PM

It?s worth it to mention that on both of Holms big knockdowns, he was beat on the play and Bo underthrew the receiver which enabled him to catch up and make the play.
My wife is amazing!

M.O.A.B.

I expect Muhammad to steal that HB spot in no time.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 13, 2023, 12:55:20 AM
I expect Muhammad to steal that HB spot in no time.

Not so sure. Maybe if there's an emergency. Half back is the hardest and most complex spots in the secondary. No training camp. No CFL experience. You never know but it will likely take some time.