Kenny Lawler Suspension & RETURN!!

Started by pdirks67, June 01, 2023, 08:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 01, 2023, 08:09:29 PM
Lawler suspended, somehow connected to DUI incident last time he was a Bomber.

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1664361137113272321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Escreen-name%2Fslug%3AMorningBigBlue%2Fmorning-big-blue%7Ctwcon%5Es1

Just creating a new thread for this.

HOLY CRAP!

I thought this was already dealth with? I guess he'll miss at least a couple of regular season games?

LXTSN

Yeah I thought this was taken care of already? Did he injure someone as part of his DUI? That's all this could be right?
I thought he was ticketed but no one was harmed... This could be a big deal if someone was actually injured as a result!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

DM83

pdirks67

Jeff Hamilton just posted something at the Free Press. Among other things, he says:

Lawler will not be permitted to play while on the suspended list. It?s unclear if the 28-year-old receiver will be allowed to practice with the team or whether he can remain with the club while the undisclosed issue works itself to conclusion.

Expect the Bombers to look to Carlton Agudosi to fill Lawler?s spot as an American starting receiver.

**EDIT: Adding the text from the Bomber press release:

"The team has transferred star receiver Kenny Lawler to the suspended list, ?? pending resolution of matters related to his 2021 off-field incident,? the Bombers said in a statement. An update on Lawler?s status will be provided once the situation resolves, with the expectation that it will take between three or four weeks to achieve that goal, the two-sentence statement read.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/06/01/star-receiver-lawler-suspended-by-bombers

GOLDMEMBER

Really what the the heck! 2 years later!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

VictorRomano

As an American, his eligibility  for a work visa might be impacted by the legal issues he faces.  Just a thought.....

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 01, 2023, 08:32:20 PM
Jeff Hamilton just posted something at the Free Press. Among other things, he says:

Lawler will not be permitted to play while on the suspended list. It?s unclear if the 28-year-old receiver will be allowed to practice with the team or whether he can remain with the club while the undisclosed issue works itself to conclusion.

Expect the Bombers to look to Carlton Agudosi to fill Lawler?s spot as an American starting receiver.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/06/01/star-receiver-lawler-suspended-by-bombers

The Tweet kind of indicated it could take 3-4 weeks to resolve, so he will miss games until this is dealt with.  I don't know if Lawler was charged, sentenced or what but it isn't that uncommon for people to step out on legal responsibility by moving to another province.  If the Wpg. Police are involved they wouldn't bother pursuing a minor offence in another province as the cost is too prohibitive, but they will pick the ball back up if the person of interest returns to their jurisdiction.   

Stretch

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 01, 2023, 08:47:57 PM
The Tweet kind of indicated it could take 3-4 weeks to resolve,   

It actually literally said that: "We will provide a further update once the situation resolves, which we expect to occur in 3-4 weeks from now." (they bolded the last part in the Tweet)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Sir Blue and Gold

It's a good reminder that drinking and driving can have lasting implications. Fortunately, we are deep at receiver which will allow us to carry an extra one through the first month. Glass half full (of water) kind of deal.

NewBlue

If he's being suspended, does that mean his salary doesn't count toward the cap? 

theaardvark

With his injury last year, this might be a great thing from a "load management" standpoint.  Not sure what's going to happen vis-a-vis his pay, but that might help us too.

And, we will get a chance to see what Agudosi can do...

That said, I hope it gets resolved quickly and completely.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Hope he can make this right and also has learned from his mistake.  Next man up.

Blue In BC

I don't quite understand what is happening 2 years after the fact. Whatever it is will be sorted out I guess.

This creates a chance for Augudosi to start in the meantime. Run with it.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

It will hurt. I expected Lawlor double teamed most of the time. No question he is our best. Over all we still have enough to win, pretty well the same as last year and that is not bad. I did think with Lawlor we threatened to put up some big offensive numbers. Better now than November I suppose.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers