2023 Drafted Global Players Discussion - All Teams

Started by ModAdmin, May 02, 2023, 02:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Ridermania

Bombers select 2 global punters.

Jamieson Sheahan   P   Australia

Karl Schmitz   P   Bermuda

Blue In BC

Only about 10 of top 20 prospects selected. 6 kickers or punters selected, none of which were in top 20 rankings. A repeat of last year with so many kickers picked.

Bombers select 2 punters but punting is not the perceived problem / issue? Will either of these 2 show up in TC?

Go figure.  Not what I expected from the global draft.

Sheahan stats: Doesn't look too bad.

Senior (2022)
? A second-team All-Pac-12 selection in a vote of the league's coaches as well as of the Associated Press and Pro Football Focus
? Played in all 12 games and ranked second in the Pac-12 and 15th nationally with a 45.1 yards per punt average that was just 0.5 yards per punt below Bryan Anger's school-record 45.6 in 2010 with 20 of his 65 punts traveling 50 or more of the 2934 total yards accumulated including a career-long 65-yarder against UC Davis, while forcing 21 fair catches and pinning opponents inside their 20-yard line on 21 occasions, with all of the season-long numbers career bests other than fair catches
? Also attempted his first career kickoff with an unsuccessful onside try going 13 yards before being recovered by USC
? Holder on all 18 field goal and 32 extra-point attempts

Schmitz: Couldn't find any stats. If I'm looking at correct player he's 35 years old?? It also seems he hasn't kicked in an actual regular season game since 2008???????!!!!!!!!!!!
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

What it comes down to is how Chandler Staton competes as the FG kicker.  If he is a noticeable upgrade on Legghio, then the Bombers have at least 4 alternatives to pair with Staton as a punter (2 of whom are global). 

they could keep Legghio as strictly a punter, but as a 3 job Canadian kicker, he might have some trade value. 
grab grass 'n growl

ModAdmin

OTTAWA - The Ottawa REDBLACKS have signed first overall Global Draft selection Blessman Ta'ala to a contract.

The REDBLACKS announced less than an hour after the draft completed that the team had signed the defensive lineman to a deal.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Waffler

Make or break for Legghio, these guys are cheaper.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on May 02, 2023, 08:13:43 PM

No they aren't. He's still at CFL minimum and so will they be.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

True but hasn't Legghio finished his rookie deal now?
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on May 02, 2023, 09:29:48 PM
True but hasn't Legghio finished his rookie deal now?

He's on the last year of his initial 3 year deal.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

pjrocksmb

I don't think it's that simple.  The competition for kicker is great and I agree we need to field the best option but Leggs has the advantage of having played in the CFL and has done both jobs.  That said let's see what these guys can do and hope we can find the best option long term.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on May 02, 2023, 08:13:43 PM

I don't think it's the money that's important: it's the ratio.  Having a GLOB K or P is "free" because of the GLOB dressing requirement.  Ya Hansen is a shoe-in, but we can easily and often sit Maruo if we have a serviceable P.  That also gives us the option of changing from NAT K/P to an IMP K... *if* we can find one better than Leggs that won't break the bank.

The problem with the GLOBs is you can't really plan year after year on those guys.  Many may choose to leave the sport, especially since their pay scale is limited (yes, not de jure, but de facto -- Hansen would be one of the few exceptions).  A NAT like Leggs is easier to hang onto long term and develop and get some loyalty going (both ways).

Besides Ali, do we have any IMP K coming to camp, or on our radar?

Maybe the idea is to just get Leggs focusing solely on place-K if a "free dressed" GLOB can do P.  Then again, I'm not a believer in that "focus makes them better" thing people keep touting.  Our best K ever, Meddy, always did both, and did them well.  It's like the easiest job on the field!  Yeesh.  I really don't understand why good ones are rare.  I guess no kid grows up dreaming of being the superstar K.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

It's not money or ratio. The most important part of the decisions is making the kicks/punts. We'll find room for an import place kicker or a global punter if they're a big improvement over what we have. If, for example, it costs us Maruo but we have improved placekicking/punting, then it's hardly a decision. You do it.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 03, 2023, 02:01:38 PM
It's not money or ratio. The most important part of the decisions is making the kicks/punts. We'll find room for an import place kicker or a global punter if they're a big improvement over what we have. If, for example, it costs us Maruo but we have improved placekicking/punting, then it's hardly a decision. You do it.
Agree

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 03, 2023, 02:01:38 PM

That's the bottom line.  However " better " in TC doesn't always relate to " better " once the season starts. Unless we found a real stud, I'd expect we go with Liegghio to start the season and he'll have to lose some or all of the role in the 1st part of the season.

There is no reason to believe he can't and won't improve but he needs to show it as well.  Competition was promised and clearly that will be happening.  We now have 7 players in this category if the global choices are signed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions