Pre-Draft and Mock Draft Discussions

Started by ModAdmin, April 13, 2023, 01:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 16, 2023, 06:56:34 PM
I agree. There are 6 DLs in the top 20 of this draft.

I'd totally take a DL or 2 in this draft.  As for OL, we have a knack for always finding the good ones, no matter the round.  Our hit/miss ratio has been over 75% in the last decade, I think, in terms of (eventual) starters to picks.  Who was the last big bust?  Spooner?
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 17, 2023, 04:00:31 AM
I'd totally take a DL or 2 in this draft.  As for OL, we have a knack for always finding the good ones, no matter the round.  Our hit/miss ratio has been over 75% in the last decade, I think, in terms of (eventual) starters to picks.  Who was the last big bust?  Spooner?

You have to wonder if its us finding the right player, or is it more the right environment? I mean it helps when you have one of the best ever to take pointers from, and the whole group would run through a wall for each other.

Success breeds success I think.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on April 17, 2023, 12:18:18 PM
You have to wonder if its us finding the right player, or is it more the right environment? I mean it helps when you have one of the best ever to take pointers from, and the whole group would run through a wall for each other.

Success breeds success I think.

A combination of both and many other things. That said we've made some really bad choices that didn't work out.

Trading our 1st round pick for example. Philpot would have been a great addition for example. Or Noah Zerr that were taken before Ford.

I like Ford but he may stick in the NFL. So it's a debatable decision. Of course we don't know who will get picked in what order and our pick may have been different.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Over the years we have had some great drafts, and a few that were pretty weak.

2017:  #1 Ekakitie, #8 Gray, #15 Spooner. Ekakitie, and Spooner didn't last long.

2018:  No 1st round pick.  #26 Petermann

2019: Great draft.  #4 Desjarlais, #5 Kongbo, #14 BO20, #34 Eli, #61 Nick Hallett, #70 Exume

2020: No 1st. round pick again. #18 Noah Hallett, No 3rd. round pick. #37 BOO84, #39 Leggs, #64 Cadwallader

2021.: #3 Dobson, #16 Kramdi

2022:  No 1st. round pick. Tyson Philpot goes at #9 which would have been our pick. #13 Ford, No 3rd round pick. #38 Adamson, #65 Lavigne, #74 Burtenshaw.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DM83

In two years we will be ancient in all our significant positions.
So this could be the farewell tour

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 17, 2023, 06:08:08 PM
2017:  #1 Ekakitie, #8 Gray, #15 Spooner. Ekakitie, and Spooner didn't last long.

Wow, Gray was '17?!  Crazy.  6 years in and he's still not the starter we all want to see.  His A-gap problem was hard to watch in '22.  And he was/is touted as the next big NAT OT?  I sure hope he steps up this year.  He was looking good in the last 6 games of '22.

If Dobson or Eli really ups their game and gets lots of reps due to some injury or something, Gray needs to watch his back or he may be pawned off before '24.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 22, 2023, 07:05:00 AM
Wow, Gray was '17?!  Crazy.  6 years in and he's still not the starter we all want to see.  His A-gap problem was hard to watch in '22.  And he was/is touted as the next big NAT OT?  I sure hope he steps up this year.  He was looking good in the last 6 games of '22.

If Dobson or Eli really ups their game and gets lots of reps due to some injury or something, Gray needs to watch his back or he may be pawned off before '24.

Oline can take years to fall into place, and then last for a decade... no issues with the Oline figuring itself out, lots of options that will make competition stiff.  If Gray can be an NAT OT, well worth the investment. Even if it is just at backup.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Gray has only played 4 years in the CFL. 37 regular season games.  Really only 1 year as a full time starter.

2018 - 1 game
2019 - 13 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 18 games.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 23, 2023, 03:40:20 AM
Gray has only played 4 years in the CFL. 37 regular season games.  Really only 1 year as a full time starter.

2018 - 1 game
2019 - 13 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 18 games.

Well, he was the "dev guy".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go back to U for '17?  So that means '18 (and maybe '17 if I'm wrong) was his "dev time" seasons that we usually put the new guys through.

'19 I'm pretty sure he was thrust into action prematurely due to injury?

'21 Desjar beat him out for the job?  Desjar was a phenom.  Darn I'm bummed we didn't get him back on return from NFL.

I'm pretty sure that since '17 we haven't drafted an OL who was more touted and ballyhooed than Gray?  I still recall he was supposed to be the second coming.  Maybe flying under the radar like most of our other guys is the way to go: then you can over-produce rather than disappoint.  (Don't get me wrong, I like Gray, but he's not even a Desjar, even with the extra dev time.)

I will say this about Gray: he's always the first one downfield to congratulate the WR/SB/RB on any good play.  And he still plays with an edge that keeps LBs/DBs on their toes.

Now, let's ponder the fact that Zach was on his butt way more in 2022 than in the previous seasons... And TOR was getting massive pressure on him all GC.  Not a good look for the supposed best OL.  We must do better this year.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 23, 2023, 07:00:02 AM
Well, he was the "dev guy".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go back to U for '17?  So that means '18 (and maybe '17 if I'm wrong) was his "dev time" seasons that we usually put the new guys through.

'19 I'm pretty sure he was thrust into action prematurely due to injury?

'21 Desjar beat him out for the job?  Desjar was a phenom.  Darn I'm bummed we didn't get him back on return from NFL.

I'm pretty sure that since '17 we haven't drafted an OL who was more touted and ballyhooed than Gray?  I still recall he was supposed to be the second coming.  Maybe flying under the radar like most of our other guys is the way to go: then you can over-produce rather than disappoint.  (Don't get me wrong, I like Gray, but he's not even a Desjar, even with the extra dev time.)

I will say this about Gray: he's always the first one downfield to congratulate the WR/SB/RB on any good play.  And he still plays with an edge that keeps LBs/DBs on their toes.

Now, let's ponder the fact that Zach was on his butt way more in 2022 than in the previous seasons... And TOR was getting massive pressure on him all GC.  Not a good look for the supposed best OL.  We must do better this year.

Gray spent 2017 trying out in 4 different NFL camps, he signed with the Bombers the fall of 2018.  He was highly touted by the NFL coming out of U of M that's the reason he fell in the draft ranking, he would have been top 5 otherwise.  I saw no issue with his play in 2022, he's very aggressive and is often leading the charge blocking upfield on the left side of the line.  I think they had more problems in pass protection between Neufeld and Kona early on last year, but that seemed to be resolved as the season progressed.

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 23, 2023, 07:00:02 AM

Gray spent a whole season on active and practice roster with i believe the Browns, Packers and Jets.
We were loaded on our OL and the Bombers understood that Gray was good enough to have an NFL opportunity and also had his heart set on finishing his engineering degree.
I've heard that Gray made 1 million in salary in his 1 year in the NFL so he took on more of a developmental/support/depth chart role with the Bombers.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 23, 2023, 04:43:56 PM
I think they had more problems in pass protection between Neufeld and Kona early on last year, but that seemed to be resolved as the season progressed.

Ah yes, thanks for the memory jog, guys.  The fact he had a legit NFL shot just adds ammo to my argument that we were over-promised and under-delivered on Gray.  I guess it's not his fault: he never asked for that.

As for the pass pro problem: I guarantee you it was 100% the Gray-Koman A-gap.  Go back and watch the season, especially the first 10 games.  I was moaning about it almost every week in the GBUs and GDTs.  DLs were massively exploiting this weakness.  They did get it cleaned up by the end of the season.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

1st. round of the NFL draft tonight. I am wondering if any Canadian players will go in the first round.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on April 27, 2023, 10:29:10 PM
1st. round of the NFL draft tonight. I am wondering if any Canadian players will go in the first round.

Highly doubtful. The Syracuse OL guy probably the best chance but it would be pretty surprising. Chase Brown was pretty good but there are way better running backs available and it's not a position that usually goes early.

Pigskin

I like Dontae Bull late in the first round. 6'6" 322, OL.