Pre-Draft and Mock Draft Discussions

Started by ModAdmin, April 13, 2023, 01:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Here is Marshall Ferguson's (cfl.ca) Mock 1.0 Draft thoughts prior to the May 2, 2023 Draft Day....

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/04/12/mock-1-0-what-will-ottawa-do-with-the-first-overall-pick/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dizzycamper

Having spent some time on this years u sports draft prospects, the first two rounds are excellent choices for the Bombers.... I have Charlie Ringland as the third round pick...

Agree with Marshall Ferguson regarding Jack Kelly, but can't go wrong with Ringland... Hope his combine injury isn't serious.... Also, like Jaxon Ford out of Regina and Lucas Cormier (Mount Allison) here as well as a 3rd rd pick, but, a local kid should get the nod...

drahgon

DM83

Thanks for some info. 

Now let?s create some names and match with teams.
Bombers can always use  pro ready type player.

When do we draft? Nineth?
Ok, what do we need?

Probably potential starters on defense and the offensive line?
Ok a def tackle
A safety
Weak side lb
O line,
in that order

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on April 14, 2023, 12:43:19 PM
Thanks for some info. 

Now let?s create some names and match with teams.
Bombers can always use  pro ready type player.

When do we draft? Nineth?
Ok, what do we need?

Probably potential starters on defense and the offensive line?
Ok a def tackle
A safety
Weak side lb
O line,
in that order

A lot depends on who is available when we make our picks. There will be a potential list we have ranking our choices. Some choices may be taken earlier than we thought and vice versa. Several players will be looking south to the NFL and those decisions may not be set in stone yet.

I wonder whether the picks we make will be returning to school one more year or expected to compete for actual roster spots in TC.  Most likely those would be PR spots initially.

Bombers have a few older Canadians on the roster so succession planning must be in the minds of management. IMO we have possibly 4 or 5 Canadians that might be playing their final season.

Generally I agree that if good candidates are available when we pick, then we look at defensive players.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 14, 2023, 03:13:31 PM

A lot depends on who is available when we make our picks. There will be a potential list we have ranking our choices. Some choices may be taken earlier than we thought and vice versa. Several players will be looking south to the NFL and those decisions may not be set in stone yet.

I wonder whether the picks we make will be returning to school one more year or expected to compete for actual roster spots in TC.  Most likely those would be PR spots initially.

Bombers have a few older Canadians on the roster so succession planning must be in the minds of management. IMO we have possibly 4 or 5 Canadians that might be playing their final season.

Generally I agree that if good candidates are available when we pick, then we look at defensive players.

I think you guys have already planned for that.  In a year from now I could see Dobson being your starting RG.  I also think Gray is a better tackle than he is a guard, so maybe RT for him. 

Eli is only 27, maybe LG, RG.  I think he played LT and C in college.

I think you guys should draft a defensive end to play behind Jefferson and Jeffcoat. 

M.O.A.B.

I don't think the Bombers have a pressing need for an immediate Canadian player so I'm inclined to think they are going for a future pick on the first round (likely an OL that will be in the NFL camp for next year).

That said, if a high-quality player will become available on their turn, they will jump on it.

kkc60

I think Dline depth and then some future replacements for guys like Briggs, Gauthier and Miller (older canadians).

We only have 3 Canadian receivers and 2 Canadian RBs so some depth there could be nice too

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on April 14, 2023, 03:45:54 PM
I think you guys have already planned for that.  In a year from now I could see Dobson being your starting RG.  I also think Gray is a better tackle than he is a guard, so maybe RT for him. 

Eli is only 27, maybe LG, RG.  I think he played LT and C in college.

I think you guys should draft a defensive end to play behind Jefferson and Jeffcoat. 

It's not ever quite that easy. Gray, Dobson, Neufeld and Kolankowski are all potential free agents in 2024. So are Bryant and Hardrick. 

We don't know what any of those players plan for 2024. SMS, age and ratio considerations all come into play.

At the moment we have 2 Canadian OL as depth with 5 in total and only 3 starting.  It's possible we could plan about 4 starting Canadians in 2024 but we could just as easily continue with the 2 imports at T.

Bottom line is that we need to draft or retain 1 - 2 extra Canadian OL in the pipeline.

Currently we have 2 rookie Canadian OL on the TC roster. They will compete.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 14, 2023, 05:22:01 PM
It's not ever quite that easy. Gray, Dobson, Neufeld and Kolankowski are all potential free agents in 2024. So are Bryant and Hardrick. 

We don't know what any of those players plan for 2024. SMS, age and ratio considerations all come into play.

At the moment we have 2 Canadian OL as depth with 5 in total and only 3 starting.  It's possible we could plan about 4 starting Canadians in 2024 but we could just as easily continue with the 2 imports at T.

Bottom line is that we need to draft or retain 1 - 2 extra Canadian OL in the pipeline.

Currently we have 2 rookie Canadian OL on the TC roster. They will compete.

Of course you should draft Olinemen, but you might only see 2-3 go in the first two rounds.  Look for one to.develop in rounds 3 and lower.  It's a very weak draft for Olinemen, but strong for DB and DL.

Pete

Looking at our current roster, I would also draft a defensive lineman ,preferably at de.  We really missed having Kongbo last year to rotate in. Back ups to the two jeffs and Walker are  probably the weakest link going into training camp this year.
In the second round I could see us going for o line or db depending on who's available. Beyond that its likely we look at someone who can contribute on special teams.

NewBlue

I think we are good at OL with Dobson & Eli as Nat backups, plus the other few guys that'll be on PR. Lots of depth there.
As another poster mentioned we only have Orange in depth at WR benind Demski & Wolitarsky. I think that position is a priority for our Nat Depth. Otherwise look at a flexible hybrid type D player who could lineup at multiple spots on D

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on April 15, 2023, 01:34:39 PM
I think we are good at OL with Dobson & Eli as Nat backups

I always think "we are good" at NAT OL.  I always think no way we draft another.  But then we always do, or snipe one from somewhere.  Our OL turnover is not insignificant and The Mafia clearly prefers to have tons of depth.  They like dev guys to be in the hopper.

As such, even though it looks like our NAT OL room is stocked, I bet we bring on yet another guy.  Eli & Dobson will now be sophomores, and we always make sure we have a rookie around.
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 16, 2023, 02:11:43 AM
I always think "we are good" at NAT OL.  I always think no way we draft another.  But then we always do, or snipe one from somewhere.  Our OL turnover is not insignificant and The Mafia clearly prefers to have tons of depth.  They like dev guys to be in the hopper.

As such, even though it looks like our NAT OL room is stocked, I bet we bring on yet another guy.  Eli & Dobson will now be sophomores, and we always make sure we have a rookie around.

For sure its a good chance we draft a OL, but I just don't think they should with the first couple picks.

Pigskin

Quote from: NewBlue on April 16, 2023, 06:07:48 PM
For sure its a good chance we draft a OL, but I just don't think they should with the first couple picks.

I agree. There are 6 DLs in the top 20 of this draft.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 16, 2023, 06:56:34 PM
I agree. There are 6 DLs in the top 20 of this draft.

I'd totally take a DL or 2 in this draft.  As for OL, we have a knack for always finding the good ones, no matter the round.  Our hit/miss ratio has been over 75% in the last decade, I think, in terms of (eventual) starters to picks.  Who was the last big bust?  Spooner?
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 17, 2023, 04:00:31 AM
I'd totally take a DL or 2 in this draft.  As for OL, we have a knack for always finding the good ones, no matter the round.  Our hit/miss ratio has been over 75% in the last decade, I think, in terms of (eventual) starters to picks.  Who was the last big bust?  Spooner?

You have to wonder if its us finding the right player, or is it more the right environment? I mean it helps when you have one of the best ever to take pointers from, and the whole group would run through a wall for each other.

Success breeds success I think.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on April 17, 2023, 12:18:18 PM
You have to wonder if its us finding the right player, or is it more the right environment? I mean it helps when you have one of the best ever to take pointers from, and the whole group would run through a wall for each other.

Success breeds success I think.

A combination of both and many other things. That said we've made some really bad choices that didn't work out.

Trading our 1st round pick for example. Philpot would have been a great addition for example. Or Noah Zerr that were taken before Ford.

I like Ford but he may stick in the NFL. So it's a debatable decision. Of course we don't know who will get picked in what order and our pick may have been different.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Over the years we have had some great drafts, and a few that were pretty weak.

2017:  #1 Ekakitie, #8 Gray, #15 Spooner. Ekakitie, and Spooner didn't last long.

2018:  No 1st round pick.  #26 Petermann

2019: Great draft.  #4 Desjarlais, #5 Kongbo, #14 BO20, #34 Eli, #61 Nick Hallett, #70 Exume

2020: No 1st. round pick again. #18 Noah Hallett, No 3rd. round pick. #37 BOO84, #39 Leggs, #64 Cadwallader

2021.: #3 Dobson, #16 Kramdi

2022:  No 1st. round pick. Tyson Philpot goes at #9 which would have been our pick. #13 Ford, No 3rd round pick. #38 Adamson, #65 Lavigne, #74 Burtenshaw.

DM83

In two years we will be ancient in all our significant positions.
So this could be the farewell tour

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 17, 2023, 06:08:08 PM
2017:  #1 Ekakitie, #8 Gray, #15 Spooner. Ekakitie, and Spooner didn't last long.

Wow, Gray was '17?!  Crazy.  6 years in and he's still not the starter we all want to see.  His A-gap problem was hard to watch in '22.  And he was/is touted as the next big NAT OT?  I sure hope he steps up this year.  He was looking good in the last 6 games of '22.

If Dobson or Eli really ups their game and gets lots of reps due to some injury or something, Gray needs to watch his back or he may be pawned off before '24.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 22, 2023, 07:05:00 AM
Wow, Gray was '17?!  Crazy.  6 years in and he's still not the starter we all want to see.  His A-gap problem was hard to watch in '22.  And he was/is touted as the next big NAT OT?  I sure hope he steps up this year.  He was looking good in the last 6 games of '22.

If Dobson or Eli really ups their game and gets lots of reps due to some injury or something, Gray needs to watch his back or he may be pawned off before '24.

Oline can take years to fall into place, and then last for a decade... no issues with the Oline figuring itself out, lots of options that will make competition stiff.  If Gray can be an NAT OT, well worth the investment. Even if it is just at backup.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Gray has only played 4 years in the CFL. 37 regular season games.  Really only 1 year as a full time starter.

2018 - 1 game
2019 - 13 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 18 games.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 23, 2023, 03:40:20 AM
Gray has only played 4 years in the CFL. 37 regular season games.  Really only 1 year as a full time starter.

2018 - 1 game
2019 - 13 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 18 games.

Well, he was the "dev guy".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go back to U for '17?  So that means '18 (and maybe '17 if I'm wrong) was his "dev time" seasons that we usually put the new guys through.

'19 I'm pretty sure he was thrust into action prematurely due to injury?

'21 Desjar beat him out for the job?  Desjar was a phenom.  Darn I'm bummed we didn't get him back on return from NFL.

I'm pretty sure that since '17 we haven't drafted an OL who was more touted and ballyhooed than Gray?  I still recall he was supposed to be the second coming.  Maybe flying under the radar like most of our other guys is the way to go: then you can over-produce rather than disappoint.  (Don't get me wrong, I like Gray, but he's not even a Desjar, even with the extra dev time.)

I will say this about Gray: he's always the first one downfield to congratulate the WR/SB/RB on any good play.  And he still plays with an edge that keeps LBs/DBs on their toes.

Now, let's ponder the fact that Zach was on his butt way more in 2022 than in the previous seasons... And TOR was getting massive pressure on him all GC.  Not a good look for the supposed best OL.  We must do better this year.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 23, 2023, 07:00:02 AM
Well, he was the "dev guy".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go back to U for '17?  So that means '18 (and maybe '17 if I'm wrong) was his "dev time" seasons that we usually put the new guys through.

'19 I'm pretty sure he was thrust into action prematurely due to injury?

'21 Desjar beat him out for the job?  Desjar was a phenom.  Darn I'm bummed we didn't get him back on return from NFL.

I'm pretty sure that since '17 we haven't drafted an OL who was more touted and ballyhooed than Gray?  I still recall he was supposed to be the second coming.  Maybe flying under the radar like most of our other guys is the way to go: then you can over-produce rather than disappoint.  (Don't get me wrong, I like Gray, but he's not even a Desjar, even with the extra dev time.)

I will say this about Gray: he's always the first one downfield to congratulate the WR/SB/RB on any good play.  And he still plays with an edge that keeps LBs/DBs on their toes.

Now, let's ponder the fact that Zach was on his butt way more in 2022 than in the previous seasons... And TOR was getting massive pressure on him all GC.  Not a good look for the supposed best OL.  We must do better this year.

Gray spent 2017 trying out in 4 different NFL camps, he signed with the Bombers the fall of 2018.  He was highly touted by the NFL coming out of U of M that's the reason he fell in the draft ranking, he would have been top 5 otherwise.  I saw no issue with his play in 2022, he's very aggressive and is often leading the charge blocking upfield on the left side of the line.  I think they had more problems in pass protection between Neufeld and Kona early on last year, but that seemed to be resolved as the season progressed.

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 23, 2023, 07:00:02 AM

Gray spent a whole season on active and practice roster with i believe the Browns, Packers and Jets.
We were loaded on our OL and the Bombers understood that Gray was good enough to have an NFL opportunity and also had his heart set on finishing his engineering degree.
I've heard that Gray made 1 million in salary in his 1 year in the NFL so he took on more of a developmental/support/depth chart role with the Bombers.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 23, 2023, 04:43:56 PM
I think they had more problems in pass protection between Neufeld and Kona early on last year, but that seemed to be resolved as the season progressed.

Ah yes, thanks for the memory jog, guys.  The fact he had a legit NFL shot just adds ammo to my argument that we were over-promised and under-delivered on Gray.  I guess it's not his fault: he never asked for that.

As for the pass pro problem: I guarantee you it was 100% the Gray-Koman A-gap.  Go back and watch the season, especially the first 10 games.  I was moaning about it almost every week in the GBUs and GDTs.  DLs were massively exploiting this weakness.  They did get it cleaned up by the end of the season.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

1st. round of the NFL draft tonight. I am wondering if any Canadian players will go in the first round.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on April 27, 2023, 10:29:10 PM
1st. round of the NFL draft tonight. I am wondering if any Canadian players will go in the first round.

Highly doubtful. The Syracuse OL guy probably the best chance but it would be pretty surprising. Chase Brown was pretty good but there are way better running backs available and it's not a position that usually goes early.

Pigskin

I like Dontae Bull late in the first round. 6'6" 322, OL.

TecnoGenius

The CFL stops playing 2.5 months before the NFL yet the NFL draft occurs a week earlier than ours?  Weird facts I did not know.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

No Canadian players went in the first round. See what happens today. Looks like 11 DL drafted in the first round, 5 OL, 5 WR, 4 CB, 3 QB, 2 RB, 1 LB.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on April 28, 2023, 03:04:05 PM
No Canadian players went in the first round. See what happens today. Looks like 11 DL drafted in the first round, 5 OL, 5 WR, 4 CB, 3 QB, 2 RB, 1 LB.

Might be a couple by the end of rounds 2 - 3 later today. However it's those that sign after the draft where we might see some Canadians signed. Our draft is next week so there is not much time between theirs and ours to completely assess the risks.

That said, our current roster of Canadians is very good, so we might take more risk than in previous seasons. Later rounds could see some of that happen.

I always wonder if we make any draft day trades. Up or down or trades of several draft choices for another higher up.

I've noticed lots of comments from some posters about choices they'd like. Whether those choices are available when we draft may or may not happen.

Exciting times to see what we do. I've printed the current player rankings just to watch to see how accurate that turns out to be.

Fingers crossed we get a couple of good players in the 1st 2 rounds. After that it's anybodies guess. lol

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 28, 2023, 12:10:25 AM
The CFL stops playing 2.5 months before the NFL yet the NFL draft occurs a week earlier than ours?  Weird facts I did not know.

The CFL draft used to come first but teams got burned by picking players who were later drafted by the NFL, so they delayed the draft in an attempt to reduce wasted picks.  Unfortunately it doesn't change much with all of the un-drafted Canadian signings the NFL seems to do every year.  They get the pick of the litter, no matter what.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

another mock that doesnt make sense for the Bombers.

1st and 2nd round make sense.
but 2 DLs in 3rd and 4th? Lol

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 28, 2023, 03:38:57 PM
The CFL draft used to come first but teams got burned by picking players who were later drafted by the NFL, so they delayed the draft in an attempt to reduce wasted picks.  Unfortunately it doesn't change much with all of the un-drafted Canadian signings the NFL seems to do every year.  They get the pick of the litter, no matter what.

Ah, that makes perfect sense now!  Thanks for the info.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

OL Bergeron taken by The Falcons in the 2nd. round. DB Sydney Brown taken by the Eagles in the 3rd.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on April 29, 2023, 04:02:21 AM
OL Bergeron taken by The Falcons in the 2nd. round. DB Sydney Brown taken by the Eagles in the 3rd.

So can CFL teams still draft these guys?  Or are they "out" now?

If they can draft them, is the idea that a team hopes they'll drop out of the NFL for not being good enough halfway through the season?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 29, 2023, 07:58:11 AM
So can CFL teams still draft these guys?  Or are they "out" now?

If they can draft them, is the idea that a team hopes they'll drop out of the NFL for not being good enough halfway through the season?

Getting drafted that high means not much chance these players don't stick for a few years.

CFL could still draft them IIRC but anything besides a last round pick is probably a total waste.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 29, 2023, 01:38:44 PM
Getting drafted that high means not much chance these players don't stick for a few years.

CFL could still draft them IIRC but anything besides a last round pick is probably a total waste.

It's always a risk, but sometimes they do come back to play in the CFL.

Blue In BC

4 of the top 5 ranked Canadians taken in the NFL draft at the moment. More to come I suspect.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

At #117 New England  take Sow 6'4" 329, OL

At #124  Ravens take Robinson 6'6" 257. DL, Edge.

At #163 Bengals take Chase Brown  RB.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 29, 2023, 04:01:20 PM
It's always a risk, but sometimes they do come back to play in the CFL.

Any recent instances of NATs getting drafted early-ish in NFL draft, also getting picked in the CFL draft, and then coming back up?  Like actual player names.

How long does a team retain their CFL rights for while they are in the NFL?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 29, 2023, 10:59:50 PM
Any recent instances of NATs getting drafted early-ish in NFL draft, also getting picked in the CFL draft, and then coming back up?  Like actual player names.

Not sure about players drafted in early rounds every coming to CFL but it may have happened. Teams have had American early round players come to the CFL after NFL time: Perry Tuttle and Rod Hill were both 1st round players IIRC?

Rights are held forever.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 29, 2023, 10:59:50 PM

Here is a list of every Canadian ever drafted in the NFL.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/26/northern-uprising-every-canadian-player-ever-selected-in-the-nfl-draft/

Brian Fryer played for Edmonton.  Mo Elwonibi came to the CFL, including the Bombers.  Andrew Greene played in the CFL.  Austin Collie had a cup of coffee with BC, but had recurring concussion issues if I recall correctly.

Calgary longsnapper Randy Chevrier, and the Riders apparent LT, Phil Blake are the only current CFL players who have been drafted in the NFL. 

those are the ones that I can remember, maybe others can add a name or two, but I bet there aren't too many more. 
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on April 30, 2023, 01:26:51 AM
Calgary longsnapper Randy Chevrier, and the Riders apparent LT, Phil Blake are the only current CFL players who have been drafted in the NFL. 

Thanks.  Wow you guys weren't lying when you said it is/was rare.  I see what you mean about only wasting late-round picks on NFL-DPs.

None of the examples you mentioned, from my memory, would I call "good gambles" or coups.  Which means, it's dumb to do it.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Wow, 5 players drafted in our top 20 ranked players. Another 4 signed after the draft. That took an enormous bite out of our top ranked prospects. A CFL team might look to draft those last 3 in later rounds? I'll have to check if any others get signed before our draft.

We could add our CB Ford in that group of trying to land an NFL roster spot. Green Bay only drafted 1 CB and that was in the 7th round. Whether that makes it harder to make their roster or not we'll see.

Is there a list of players not drafted that signed free agent tryout deals immediately after the NFL draft?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 30, 2023, 01:25:30 PM
Wow, 5 players drafted in our top 20 ranked players. Another 3 signed after the draft. That took an enormous bite out of our top ranked prospects. A CFL team might look to draft those last 3 in later rounds? I'll have to check if any others get signed before our draft.

We could add our CB Ford in that group of trying to land an NFL roster spot. Green Bay only drafted 1 CB and that was in the 7th round. Whether that makes it harder to make their roster or not we'll see.

Is there a list of players not drafted that signed free agent tryout deals immediately after the NFL draft?

Totally forgot about Ford, even if he returns I don't think he has much chance of starting this year even with all the attention he received over the winter, he doesn't have enough experience yet and he's up against some pretty stiff competition.  Maybe with a ratio adjustment next season he will have a better chance to become a starter if he decides to stick around.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 30, 2023, 03:40:44 PM
Totally forgot about Ford, even if he returns I don't think he has much chance of starting this year even with all the attention he received over the winter, he doesn't have enough experience yet and he's up against some pretty stiff competition.  Maybe with a ratio adjustment next season he will have a better chance to become a starter if he decides to stick around.

I think there is a good chance he returns but agree he has little chance of starting in 2023. However, with a little more experience he has the tools to become a very good CFL player. He's under contract for 2023 - 2024 seasons at the moment.

There are no guarantees but I would think a team that drafts a player is more likely to stick than an un-drafted player. Of course that's just speculative on my part. He can't go elsewhere in the NFL.

He might be good enough in 2023 to be a 6th DB in that defensive formation, eliminating the need for an import DB as a DI?

The longer he takes to return ( if he does in 2023 ) the harder it will be to take on a more significant role.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Ford looked great when he got live game reps with us.  He'd be great to do the 49/51 match with one of our vet DBs (Rose?).  That would be a great future plan if Fatboi retires after this year.  Then we could go all-IMP DL.

Yes, having Ford dressed means we don't have to waste a DI at DB.

Also, I'm not totally convinced yet that Parker and Lawrence are any better than Ford.
Never go full Rider!

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 30, 2023, 03:40:44 PM
The Packers did draft another DB and S at the end of the draft. More competition for Ford is a good thing for the Bombers  ;)

Pigskin

If Uguak or Bemiy are around at #8 I be taking either one of these DLs. If not hopefully OLs, Bull or Grohovac are still around.

Blue In BC

DL Noah Curtis deemed eligible for tomorrows draft. He might be a 1st round pick. Seems to be on the Elks target list. Elks forfeited their 2nd round pick but have the 2nd pick overall. 

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/01/former-florida-international-defensive-lineman-noah-curtis-added-to-the-2023-cfl-draft/
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sec227

Oh Man...Poor TSN/CFL. Going up against the Leaf's in round 2, same TV time slot. Honestly curious what kind of viewership it will get.

GCn19

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 30, 2023, 04:56:41 AM
Thanks.  Wow you guys weren't lying when you said it is/was rare.  I see what you mean about only wasting late-round picks on NFL-DPs.

None of the examples you mentioned, from my memory, would I call "good gambles" or coups.  Which means, it's dumb to do it.

In the past 10 years or so, the CFL has lost a significant amount of draft talent as UDFA's the next few days after the NFL draft as well. Used to be that these guys were high % to come back to the CFL in a year or two, not anymore. Guys linger on PRs for years now because of the expanded size and eligibility of NFL PRs.

Anyone drafted in the first 3 rounds of an NFL draft can usually stick around the NFL for a few years unless they have personality, behavioral, or work ethic issues.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GCn19

Quote from: Sec227 on May 02, 2023, 01:48:57 PM
Oh Man...Poor TSN/CFL. Going up against the Leaf's in round 2, same TV time slot. Honestly curious what kind of viewership it will get.

Hockey is hockey. Guys who want to watch the draft because they love the CFL that much will. The Laffs aren't going to stop them.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GOLDMEMBER

At least we get to pick ahead of Toronto this year, lol.
I?d like to see we continue to load up on Canadian OL and DT spots.
DB, WR, LB spots can come in the latter rounds to me.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Ridermania

Goldmember....good to see you made it thru the winter! 

the paw

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 02, 2023, 06:31:08 PM
At least we get to pick ahead of Toronto this year, lol.
I?d like to see we continue to load up on Canadian OL and DT spots.
DB, WR, LB spots can come in the latter rounds to me.

I think if Michael Brodrique is there on our first pick, we will pick him. If not, we will go DL, probably Korte-Moore. 

I would bet the farm that we end up with one of either Brodrique or Josh White as one of our draft picks. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on May 02, 2023, 06:49:11 PM
I think if Michael Brodrique is there on our first pick, we will pick him. If not, we will go DL, probably Korte-Moore. 

I would bet the farm that we end up with one of either Brodrique or Josh White as one of our draft picks. 

Seems a little high to select a LB in the 1st 2 rounds but that's just IMO. We only drafted 1 in total in 2021 and 2022 and he didn't even report IIRC. Based on where we start Canadians, OL and DL would seem to be  choices in the 1st few rounds?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2023, 06:53:30 PM
Seems a little high to select a LB in the 1st 2 rounds but that's just IMO. We only drafted 1 in total in 2021 and 2022 and he didn't even report IIRC. Based on where we start Canadians, OL and DL would seem to be  choices in the 1st few rounds?

We don't pick until late, so I think the blue chip DL will likely be gone.  This isn't a great year for OL, and with Adamson switching over, we have quite a bit of depth there.

On the other hand, Briggs is 33 and Gauthier 31, so I think they are going to be looking for a high quality ST LB to groom..
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on May 02, 2023, 07:30:47 PM
We don't pick until late, so I think the blue chip DL will likely be gone.  This isn't a great year for OL, and with Adamson switching over, we have quite a bit of depth there.

On the other hand, Briggs is 33 and Gauthier 31, so I think they are going to be looking for a high quality ST LB to groom..

We have the 8th pick in the 1st round. That's a pick who we'd expect to be a starter in the near future. Tyrell Ford was the guy in 2022. We aren't going to draft a player that is destined for ST's only in the 1st 2 rounds. Maybe beyond those rounds. So that means LB is close to the bottom of choices unless that happens to be the " best " player available.

The latest mock draft shows most LB's drafted in rounds 4 to the end.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Noah Curtis is an intriguing prospect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBH1lqsESI

If Edmonton and other teams ahead of us pass on him he might be solid pickup at 8th.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 02, 2023, 07:51:03 PM
Noah Curtis is an intriguing prospect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBH1lqsESI

If Edmonton and other teams ahead of us pass on him he might be solid pickup at 8th.

I'm not sure he'll get past the Elks but he probably is gone by our pick?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2023, 07:47:38 PM
We have the 8th pick in the 1st round. That's a pick who we'd expect to be a starter in the near future. Tyrell Ford was the guy in 2022. We aren't going to draft a player that is destined for ST's only in the 1st 2 rounds. Maybe beyond those rounds. So that means LB is close to the bottom of choices unless that happens to be the " best " player available.

The latest mock draft shows most LB's drafted in rounds 4 to the end.

Broderique and White are both in the top 25 draft prospects.  When you consider that the top 7 guys on this list are all headed to the NFL, that puts them in the mix for late first round to second round consideration. 

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/01/3downnations-top-25-2023-cfl-draft-prospects/
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Quote from: the paw on May 02, 2023, 08:04:28 PM
Broderique and White are both in the top 25 draft prospects.  When you consider that the top 7 guys on this list are all headed to the NFL, that puts them in the mix for late first round to second round consideration. 

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/01/3downnations-top-25-2023-cfl-draft-prospects/

Montreal at #7 probably jumps on Brodrique. But if they don't, this would be a good pick.

M.O.A.B.

There are 3 possible DL taken in the first round with:
Francis Bemiy
Lwal Uguak
Lake Korte-Moore

4 with Noah Curtis. Anyone of those guys might be a good pickup since that's an area of need for the Bombers.

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on May 02, 2023, 08:04:28 PM

In mock draft 2.0, White is speculated as pick # 52.

I understand your logic but I don't agree.  That's what makes draft speculation interesting. Even the analysts often miss by a mile. I missed on the global draft picks.

Partially because they didn't draft DL in the global draft. Partially because we only currently have 2 rookie import DL. To me that suggests they will try to get a couple of Canadians if they are available in the early rounds.

Another few hours and we'll know what the Bombers decide.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on May 02, 2023, 07:30:47 PM

Just as I though. 3 DL picked and the only LB was our last pick which was the 2nd last pick at # 71 altogether. Not liking his chances of even making the PR but you never know.
2019 Grey Cup Champions