Blue Bombers add five to roster - March 15, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, March 15, 2023, 06:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

WINNIPEG, MB., March 15, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of American quarterback Billy Hall, American defensive tackle O?Bryan Goodson, American receivers Manasseh Bailey and Tre Turner, and National defensive back Jordan Veltri.

Hall (6-3, 200, Reinhardt University; born: August 9, 1999, in Oneida, TN) appeared in 29 games over three seasons with the Eagles and completed 55 percent of his passes for 4,132 yards with 45 touchdowns against 15 interceptions and 17 rushing touchdowns. He had a quarterback efficiency rating of 148.9 in his senior season at Reinhardt (2021-22), throwing for 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions, while rushing for 10 touchdowns.

Goodson (6-1, 295, University of Memphis; born: September 1, 1998, in Batesville, MS) joins the Blue Bombers after starting 33 of 35 games in his four-year collegiate career with the Tigers. In Goodson's senior season, he had 28 total tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery and was named to the 2020 First-Team All-American Athletic Conference squad while helping Memphis win the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. He was an Honorable Mention All-AAC in 2019. He was most recently with the XFL?s Seattle Sea Dragons after being selected by the club in the 2020 XFL Draft but was released at the end of training camp this winter.

Bailey (6-1, 195, Morgan State, February 21, 1999 in Suitland, MD) signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He also had brief stints with the Los Angeles Chargers and New York Jets before signing with the Montreal Alouettes practice roster in 2021. Collegiately, Bailey played four seasons at Morgan State (2016-19). He caught 115 passes for 2,031 yards, 20 touchdowns, and two carries for four yards in 43 games for the Bears. He is a 2019 All-MEAC Third Team and Phil Steele?s All-MEAC First Team in 2019.

Turner (6-2, 187, Virginia Tech; born: April 21, 2000, in Greensboro, NC) played in 44 games (36 starts) over four years with the Hokies (2018-21) and finished his collegiate career with 134 receptions for 2,292 yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 53 carries for 456 yards and four more scores. In his senior season, Turner finished with 40 receptions for 675 yards and three touchdowns and 12 caries for 64 yards, and was named to the PFF College All-ACC Second Team followed by an invitation to the 2022 Senior Bowl. He spent time with the Las Vegas Raiders in 2022.

Veltri (6-0, 200, Wifrid Laurier, June 24, 1998 in Burlington, ON)  played five seasons at Wilfrid Laurier University (2017-22) with 66 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and ten pass breakups in 30 games for the Golden Hawks. In his final season, Veltri had 40 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and one pass breakup in ten games. He was selected to the OUA Second Team All-Star in 2022.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

LXTSN

Is Billy Hall our new short yardage QB?
The one (most important) stat that I would consider would be fumbles, and he fumbled 7 times his last year!
Hoping theres more to come!

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on March 15, 2023, 06:29:15 PM
The one (most important) stat that I would consider would be fumbles, and he fumbled 7 times his last year!

Every team needs a few QB's to run drills in TC. Every team will be looking at candidates at Open Tryouts etc. So I expect we'll see some other faces that may or may not displace any given player just signed.

It's not unusual to see some players not even make it to the full TC. So I wouldn't read to much into his signing one way or another. Typically we don't know if he'll be our 3rd QB or even a candidate for the PR.

The real discussions start after we've assembled most of the actual TC roster a week or so before TC. Until then, who knows how / where some early signings end up.

Sometimes the early signings turnout to be stars and sometimes it the late signings that surprise us.

Your point about the fumbles is something to consider though, although he a managed to run for 10 TD's. That's something too.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: LXTSN on March 15, 2023, 06:29:15 PM
The fumbles would require some context though. For all we know, a good few of them could have been strip sacks or arms getting hit when throwing. That?s not excusing then of course, but if they?re mostly pocket-collapsed fumbles then for his role here I would not be too concerned

pjrocksmb

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 15, 2023, 08:02:18 PM
Every team needs a few QB's to run drills in TC. Every team will be looking at candidates at Open Tryouts etc. So I expect we'll see some other faces that may or may not displace any given player just signed.

It's not unusual to see some players not even make it to the full TC. So I wouldn't read to much into his signing one way or another. Typically we don't know if he'll be our 3rd QB or even a candidate for the PR.

The real discussions start after we've assembled most of the actual TC roster a week or so before TC. Until then, who knows how / where some early signings end up.

Sometimes the early signings turnout to be stars and sometimes it the late signings that surprise us.

Your point about the fumbles is something to consider though, although he a managed to run for 10 TD's. That's something too.
I know that's an overreaction. I just hope he's not the only one we are giving a shot. I feel like there are many more dudes out there that we could give a shot.

the paw

Quote from: LXTSN on March 16, 2023, 01:10:35 PM
I know that's an overreaction. I just hope he's not the only one we are giving a shot. I feel like there are many more dudes out there that we could give a shot.

I am betting they go into camp with 5 QBs, one of whom may be a USport/CIS guy getting experience.  So I would expect them to sign at least one more QB.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on March 16, 2023, 02:39:05 PM
I am betting they go into camp with 5 QBs, one of whom may be a USport/CIS guy getting experience.  So I would expect them to sign at least one more QB.

Sure. Big chance they look at 6 or so rookies in the try out camps they hold. Someone might get an invite, or they get a QB off the neg list to head north. Thinking we see 4 or 5 in TC is reasonable. They need them to test receivers against the DB's they bring to camp as well as testing QB skills. Things also pick up after NFL draft and possibly end of XFL and USFL seasons where players are released.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 16, 2023, 02:51:31 PM
Sure. Big chance they look at 6 or so rookies in the try out camps they hold. Someone might get an invite, or they get a QB off the neg list to head north. Thinking we see 4 or 5 in TC is reasonable. They need them to test receivers against the DB's they bring to camp as well as testing QB skills. Things also pick up after NFL draft and possibly end of XFL and USFL seasons where players are released.

Do XFL and USFL contracts end at end of season?  I know they probably all have NFL outs in them, but do they have CFL outs?  Are they all released after the season ends, or do the contracts stay in force to the next season, or at least until a FA period like CFL contracts do?  Do they have provisions for a "CFL window"?  You would think there is some mecahnism in place to keep some continuity, and not have a clean slate every spring, especially with a 5 or 6 week TC/preseason.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on March 16, 2023, 02:58:21 PM
Do XFL and USFL contracts end at end of season?  I know they probably all have NFL outs in them, but do they have CFL outs?  Are they all released after the season ends, or do the contracts stay in force to the next season, or at least until a FA period like CFL contracts do?  Do they have provisions for a "CFL window"?  You would think there is some mecahnism in place to keep some continuity, and not have a clean slate every spring, especially with a 5 or 6 week TC/preseason.

I don't think they end in most cases. IIRC both leagues have NFL option windows similar to CFL. OTOH, some players ( PR ) or others may ask for and be given out right releases.

Those teams will re-evaluate those they want to return so there could be some cleaning house of those that didn't live up to expectations etc. Low value contracts mean few are held in high regard and easily replaced.

I'd expect some teams in both those leagues to be moved to other cities where fan bases might be larger. I have to expect some transition from players to coaches to franchises themselves.

In any case CFL teams hold a 6 or so tryout camps and there will be QB's looked at there as well. After the NFL draft some current back up / PR players will become available along with those not drafted or getting UDFA deals.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 15, 2023, 06:16:13 PM

WINNIPEG, MB., March 15, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of American quarterback Billy Hall, American defensive tackle O?Bryan Goodson, American receivers Manasseh Bailey and Tre Turner, and National defensive back Jordan Veltri.

Hall (6-3, 200, Reinhardt University; born: August 9, 1999, in Oneida, TN) appeared in 29 games over three seasons with the Eagles and completed 55 percent of his passes for 4,132 yards with 45 touchdowns against 15 interceptions and 17 rushing touchdowns. He had a quarterback efficiency rating of 148.9 in his senior season at Reinhardt (2021-22), throwing for 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions, while rushing for 10 touchdowns.

Goodson (6-1, 295, University of Memphis; born: September 1, 1998, in Batesville, MS) joins the Blue Bombers after starting 33 of 35 games in his four-year collegiate career with the Tigers. In Goodson's senior season, he had 28 total tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery and was named to the 2020 First-Team All-American Athletic Conference squad while helping Memphis win the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. He was an Honorable Mention All-AAC in 2019. He was most recently with the XFL?s Seattle Sea Dragons after being selected by the club in the 2020 XFL Draft but was released at the end of training camp this winter.

Bailey (6-1, 195, Morgan State, February 21, 1999 in Suitland, MD) signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He also had brief stints with the Los Angeles Chargers and New York Jets before signing with the Montreal Alouettes practice roster in 2021. Collegiately, Bailey played four seasons at Morgan State (2016-19). He caught 115 passes for 2,031 yards, 20 touchdowns, and two carries for four yards in 43 games for the Bears. He is a 2019 All-MEAC Third Team and Phil Steele?s All-MEAC First Team in 2019.

Turner (6-2, 187, Virginia Tech; born: April 21, 2000, in Greensboro, NC) played in 44 games (36 starts) over four years with the Hokies (2018-21) and finished his collegiate career with 134 receptions for 2,292 yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 53 carries for 456 yards and four more scores. In his senior season, Turner finished with 40 receptions for 675 yards and three touchdowns and 12 caries for 64 yards, and was named to the PFF College All-ACC Second Team followed by an invitation to the 2022 Senior Bowl. He spent time with the Las Vegas Raiders in 2022.

Veltri (6-0, 200, Wifrid Laurier, June 24, 1998 in Burlington, ON)  played five seasons at Wilfrid Laurier University (2017-22) with 66 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and ten pass breakups in 30 games for the Golden Hawks. In his final season, Veltri had 40 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and one pass breakup in ten games. He was selected to the OUA Second Team All-Star in 2022.

Veltri looks promising and might be someone to watch in TC. He might even be a guy they look at on ST's or LB.  For that matter he could be a back up safety candidate?  I think I saw him play a couple of times on TV. Rings a bell.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on March 15, 2023, 09:15:54 PM
Anyone know these names?

Not really. OTOH I never heard of Schoen last year either and we know how that turned out. There will be some rookies that surprise and make rosters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Wondering on Veltri... undrafted Nat?  Not many make it through the draft and then latch onto a team...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 16, 2023, 03:13:19 PM
Veltri looks promising and might be someone to watch in TC. He might even be a guy they look at on ST's or LB.  For that matter he could be a back up safety candidate?  I think I saw him play a couple of times on TV. Rings a bell.

Goodson, too. Maybe the next Stove...?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on March 16, 2023, 03:20:51 PM
Wondering on Veltri... undrafted Nat?  Not many make it through the draft and then latch onto a team...

He was still playing in college late last year in November. That's an interesting question though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Veltri sounds like a really good football player.  Some of those stats suggest he has a nose for the ball, can tackle.  They don't list his  40 time, which is a red flag.  Your point of him being moved to a linebacker, could be his best bet to stick.  Gautier and Briggs will need to be released eventually due to age, injury and  even salary. If Veltri, is as good in the CFL as he was in University, he could be a steal.  His experience and ability led him to be very good.  Certainly, a great coach-in-waiting.

Blue In BC

Each recent season our roster of returning players looks solid. So far a few interesting rookie candidates have been added. While I don't expect many overall changes beyond depth and PR, there are always a few surprises. Early injuries in TC ( long and short term ) create some opportunities. Bombers have found some exceptional rookies the past few years. So I don't particularly see any specific veterans at risk but it's always exciting to see the new challengers fighting to unseat somebody.

Can't wait to see who they find in the upcoming tryout camps.

Current roster is about 73 so there should be a lot of activity in the next month or so.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 22, 2023, 01:18:37 PM
Each recent season our roster of returning players looks solid. So far a few interesting rookie candidates have been added. While I don't expect many overall changes beyond depth and PR, there are always a few surprises. Early injuries in TC ( long and short term ) create some opportunities. Bombers have found some exceptional rookies the past few years. So I don't particularly see any specific veterans at risk but it's always exciting to see the new challengers fighting to unseat somebody.

Can't wait to see who they find in the upcoming tryout camps.

Current roster is about 73 so there should be a lot of activity in the next month or so.

I don't see any incumbants in danger, unless they don't have a good offseason and come to camp fat and slow.  I don't think a lot of our players would be that way, but we have enough that are at that age where it could happen.  And all it takes is losing half a step to let a rookie swipe your spot.  We have seen that Kyle and MOS are not afraid to make those changes.

ModAdmin

On O'Bryan Goodson

...As our scouting department looked at the tape, a play style comparison was made to another 5-foot-10 defensive tackle, former Blue Bombers starter 'Stove' Richardson. While (O'Bryan) Goodson has a long way to go to become the player that Richardson was in Winnipeg, his similar qualities will give him the opportunity to stand out amongst the defensive line competition.

Blue Bombers fans attending training camp will surely be keeping an eye on the defensive line competition, and they'll want to keep a close eye on how the abilities Goodson showed on tape at University of Memphis translate to the CFL game....

Tales from the Scouting Trail: O'Bryan Goodson
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

NewBlue

Quote from: theaardvark on March 22, 2023, 04:04:28 PM
I don't see any incumbants in danger, unless they don't have a good offseason and come to camp fat and slow.  I don't think a lot of our players would be that way, but we have enough that are at that age where it could happen.  And all it takes is losing half a step to let a rookie swipe your spot.  We have seen that Kyle and MOS are not afraid to make those changes.

I don't think the D is set in pen yet
I think whoever is the #3 DE is wide open (behind the 2 Jeffs), also think SAM is wide open.  Who will be the next man up for the DB's?
Have to factor in injuries too.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on April 19, 2023, 12:28:52 PM
I don't think the D is set in pen yet
I think whoever is the #3 DE is wide open (behind the 2 Jeffs), also think SAM is wide open.  Who will be the next man up for the DB's?
Have to factor in injuries too.

I agree that there are questions on defence but not at the SAM barring injuries. While I liked the rookie DB's in 2022 ( Parker and Holms ) + Lawrence, I have no idea how secure they are or who starts where.

Walker probably starts at DT but a rookie might look to push him towards a DI position.

The health of Wilson at WIL is a question mark.

So many things will be evaluated in TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BBRT

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 19, 2023, 01:36:26 PM
I agree that there are questions on defence but not at the SAM barring injuries. While I liked the rookie DB's in 2022 ( Parker and Holms ) + Lawrence, I have no idea how secure they are or who starts where.

Walker probably starts at DT but a rookie might look to push him towards a DI position.

I agree with your comments I think we need to upgrade our DT positions and the health of Wilson at WIL is also a big question mark. Can not wait for TC to start in order to see where we will be come game 1.

NewBlue

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 19, 2023, 01:36:26 PM

Who even is going to be our SAM next year?  Darby?  Not even sure if he's still on the roster. Lawrence?  Do we go Canadian & put Kramdi/Lavigne there?
As far as I can see that position is hardly solidified.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: NewBlue on April 19, 2023, 10:01:13 PM
Who even is going to be our SAM next year?  Darby?  Not even sure if he's still on the roster. Lawrence?  Do we go Canadian & put Kramdi/Lavigne there?
As far as I can see that position is hardly solidified.

Your post doesn't make sense. You admitted that you are not sure if Darby and Lawrence are still here and then you claim the SAM position is hardly solidified.

Both Darby and Lawrence are still here. Darby has the inside track of that position. There are other guys who are capable of manning that and Walters and co can find DBs who can compete there too.

NewBlue

How doesn't it make sense?  If I wasnt sure if they are on the roster then it should make sense that in my mind that position is open.
Even with those guys there, they only played that spot for a bit.  Hardly a position I would say can't be upgraded. Darby did a good job there later in the season from what I can remember, but it's not outlandish to think another newbie (like Rutledge lastyear) could play SAM.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on April 19, 2023, 10:01:13 PM
Who even is going to be our SAM next year?  Darby?

Darby has it.  His re-signing was a bit of a splash (to me, at least); we didn't know if we'd be able to keep him ($$).  Go back and find the thread if you want more detail?

I think the at-risk spots are Parker, Holm, Lawrence... the strong side DBs.  The only locks are Rose, Nichols, BA.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if some rookie gets put into the DB AR in the first 5 weeks.  We've done that often when a guy stands out.
Never go full Rider!

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 20, 2023, 01:46:07 AM
Darby has it.  His re-signing was a bit of a splash (to me, at least); we didn't know if we'd be able to keep him ($$).  Go back and find the thread if you want more detail?

I think the at-risk spots are Parker, Holm, Lawrence... the strong side DBs.  The only locks are Rose, Nichols, BA.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if some rookie gets put into the DB AR in the first 5 weeks.  We've done that often when a guy stands out.

Darby is not just a lock at SAM, he is a mortal lock.  We traded for the guy when Rutledge flamed out.

I think Parker will get the halfback spot and Lawrence at field corner, with Holm as  odd man out.  Unless Ford comes back from the NFL, then he might get a shot at field corner.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on April 20, 2023, 03:23:33 AM
I think Parker will get the halfback spot and Lawrence at field corner, with Holm as  odd man out.  Unless Ford comes back from the NFL, then he might get a shot at field corner.

I forgot Houston.  I think Houston gets placement before Parker/Lawrence (but not by much vs Parker)  I think you're right on Holm: he's the backup plan.  I'm not sold at all on Lawrence.

So really that leaves 1 DB spot as a question mark for everyone else to compete over.

I think our great depth and fierce competition at DB has really upped our DB game over the last 4-5 years.  Remember how sad-sack our DB corps used to be?  Pains me to think about it.  I think things started to improve around the Heath/Fogg era.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 20, 2023, 03:58:00 AM
I forgot Houston.  I think Houston gets placement before Parker/Lawrence (but not by much vs Parker)  I think you're right on Holm: he's the backup plan.  I'm not sold at all on Lawrence.

So really that leaves 1 DB spot as a question mark for everyone else to compete over.

I think our great depth and fierce competition at DB has really upped our DB game over the last 4-5 years.  Remember how sad-sack our DB corps used to be?  Pains me to think about it.  I think things started to improve around the Heath/Fogg era.

I expect Houston and Parker to be the starters. OTOH I think Holm could be a DI due to his speed and versatility as a possible returner.  I wouldn't rule out Lawrence either which is why who starts where and who back up is not set in stone in my mind. That's not a bad thing.

We already have a bunch of rookie DB's signed that could compete and push everything around early in the season. Bombers have had success finding new players in the secondary recently.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 20, 2023, 01:19:13 PM
I expect Houston and Parker to be the starters. OTOH I think Holm could be a DI due to his speed and versatility as a possible returner.  I wouldn't rule out Lawrence either which is why who starts where and who back up is not set in stone in my mind. That's not a bad thing.

We already have a bunch of rookie DB's signed that could compete and push everything around early in the season. Bombers have had success finding new players in the secondary recently.

I am not personally high on Lawrence, but I get the sense the Bombers are.  I think there is a chance Houston replaces Rose this year.  If I had to forecast a surprise cut from training camp this year, that would be it.
grab grass 'n growl

guyinfla89

Looking through the new roster I don't see any new kicker.  This is astonishing because its an area we got severely burned last season.  (e.g) GC missed extra point, lost by one.  BB should at least try out a few more K's.  Competition promotes excellence in most things including K'ing.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: guyinfla89 on April 20, 2023, 04:13:15 PM
Looking through the new roster I don't see any new kicker.  This is astonishing because its an area we got severely burned last season.  (e.g) GC missed extra point, lost by one.  BB should at least try out a few more K's.  Competition promotes excellence in most things including K'ing.

The Bombers are bringing in multiple kickers to compete in T.C., the roster hasn't been updated to reflect new signings.

ModAdmin

Quote from: guyinfla89 on April 20, 2023, 04:13:15 PM

Two Americans signed for '23 - February 24th Devin Anctil, Punter and March 25th Chandler Staton, Kicker.  

Kyle Walters has stated there will be competition in Training Camp for punting and kicking positions so expect more kickers to be signed prior to the start of camp.

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on April 20, 2023, 03:33:53 PM
I am not personally high on Lawrence, but I get the sense the Bombers are.  I think there is a chance Houston replaces Rose this year.  If I had to forecast a surprise cut from training camp this year, that would be it.

Yeah I wouldn't be entirely surprised. It will depend on how much the 2022 rookies show improvement in TC from last year. Then the pure rookies fighting for PR spots as depth.

Rose was fighting through some injuries last year and that caused some issues but he can still play and start. SMS and succession are always factors so it's possible but flip a coin. I don't think Rose is all that expensive and he's very experienced.

There are already 5 or 6 rookie imports signed and a couple of Canadian DB's on the roster. More will be added soon I imagine.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

Working to re-sign Rose only to cut him in TC is more of a Jones thing, not a WFC thing.

Have we done that to a star vet since Hefney?
#Ride?

the paw

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 20, 2023, 06:59:17 PM
Working to re-sign Rose only to cut him in TC is more of a Jones thing, not a WFC thing.

Have we done that to a star vet since Hefney?

Don't get me wrong, its Rose's spot to lose.  That's why I said it would be a surprise.

But Rose was not the same player last year that he was in 2019.  Maybe it was nagging injuries, maybe the hashmark change threw him off, I dunno.  But he gave up more plays in 2022, so isn't untouchable.

And for the record, I think More Leggett was the last surprise release from the secondary.  Although not retaining Darby for 2022 almost counts.
grab grass 'n growl

blue_or_die

Quote from: the paw on April 20, 2023, 07:53:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, its Rose's spot to lose.  That's why I said it would be a surprise.

But Rose was not the same player last year that he was in 2019.  Maybe it was nagging injuries, maybe the hashmark change threw him off, I dunno.  But he gave up more plays in 2022, so isn't untouchable.

And for the record, I think More Leggett was the last surprise release from the secondary.  Although not retaining Darby for 2022 almost counts.

I don't disagree that Rose lost a step last year. If anything, I'd say it's more surprising that we re-signed him vs letting him walk and having Lawrence and Houston start. However, I think he would have to have an atrocious camp for that to happen given that fact that we put effort into re-signing him. So it would be a surprise TC cut in the same way cutting Collaros in TC would be a surprise  :D

On that final note, was Mo Leggett a surprise though? I think we were surprised he wasn't able to really come back from injury, but not surprised we moved on due precisely to that. Or am I remembering wrong?

Agree on the Darby point, though!
#Ride?

the paw

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 20, 2023, 08:51:11 PM
I don't disagree that Rose lost a step last year. If anything, I'd say it's more surprising that we re-signed him vs letting him walk and having Lawrence and Houston start. However, I think he would have to have an atrocious camp for that to happen given that fact that we put effort into re-signing him. So it would be a surprise TC cut in the same way cutting Collaros in TC would be a surprise  :D

On that final note, was Mo Leggett a surprise though? I think we were surprised he wasn't able to really come back from injury, but not surprised we moved on due precisely to that. Or am I remembering wrong?

I wasn't surprised about Leggett really, given the nature of his injury.  I guess its more of an example that the Bombers will move on from a vet when they think the time has come. 
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 20, 2023, 08:51:11 PM

I think our depth has been really tested at DB these last couple of years and they want more bodies than they have starting positions for.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

New signings have slowed down. We're only 3 weeks from rookie camp so we should be seeing some activity soon? I'd also expect a few earlier signed players to be released. There always seem to be a few for unknown reasons to us posters. Also a couple that decide not to attend rookie camps around the league.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on April 21, 2023, 01:48:01 AM
I think our depth has been really tested at DB these last couple of years and they want more bodies than they have starting positions for.

Yeah but I wouldn't refer to Rose as a "body" given the time he's put in. To me it's as hard a commitment you'll find in the CFL...which is admittedly not 'hard' compared to any league with guaranteed contracts.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 21, 2023, 06:14:39 PM
Yeah but I wouldn't refer to Rose as a "body" given the time he's put in. To me it's as hard a commitment you'll find in the CFL...which is admittedly not 'hard' compared to any league with guaranteed contracts.

Rose was known in '19 as the big-play INT-getter.  9 INTs!!  He has a nose for the INT; but I think it bit him in '22 as he may have gotten fooled by wily QBs and OCs.  They may have spotted his tendency to cheat on routes, like cut short to INT the short rail pass whilst ignoring his go-route guy.  That seemed to me to be his biggest problem in '22, anyhow, and a big cause of all the embarrassing explosions they pinned on him.

If I'm right, that's highly coachable and something he can personally work on.  However, it means he takes a slight edge off the aggressiveness that made him so attractive in '19.

Interestingly in '22 he got 8 more DTs (vs 2019) with his 6 less INTs.  So he ruined the INT and had to chase down the real target for the DT.  However, his DTs stat is still stellar.

I think Rose is as much a lock as Nichols unless he fails to solve the problem.  But that won't be known for several games.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

I'm not sure that this team has a new modus operandi with regards to vets with injury concerns.  In the past, we had been over loyal, I think now, it there is any concern, they move on and trust their scouting to come up with a solution.

Its not fun to say goodbye to favourite players, especially if they recover and go on to play well for a competitor.  But when you can replace a position through scouting, and save precious SMS$, that's a tremendous position to be in. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on April 22, 2023, 02:43:21 PM
I'm not sure that this team has a new modus operandi with regards to vets with injury concerns.  In the past, we had been over loyal, I think now, it there is any concern, they move on and trust their scouting to come up with a solution.

Its not fun to say goodbye to favourite players, especially if they recover and go on to play well for a competitor.  But when you can replace a position through scouting, and save precious SMS$, that's a tremendous position to be in. 

Ya, I think The Mafia became a lot colder around the Randle/Leggett let-go era.  Sucks, but it seems to be necessary as we didn't really blossom into GC contenders until a season or two after that.  I still feel bad for Randle/Leggett.  (Yes, Randle didn't have anything to do with injury, but the cold "you were great, now you aren't, bye" hit him like a brick.)

IMP DBs/SAMs seem to get treated the "worst".  You don't produce for a few games or have a down season and the cartographers are out to give you a map and apple, stat.  Just look at the hungry jackals itching to send Rose packing!!  He was far and away our best DB in the '19 playoff run.  Good enough he got an NFL look.

In past seasons we would have given Maston and Taylor more chances.  This time they got the boot.  I think age had something to do with it.  Would have been nice if Taylor had gotten 1 more ring whilst on the PR (don't think Maston would have qualified as he didn't take a live snap?).

The only DB I can recall recently we were glad to see go was The Roc.  ;D :D ;D
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

What happened to all the news of rookie signings and news in general? Snore fest lately. Nothing but crickets. Draft coming next week but need to see some players added before rookie camp.

Current roster is 84 players if updated correctly.  About 22 new faces although a couple are CFL veterans.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 26, 2023, 05:30:44 PM
What happened to all the news of rookie signings and news in general?

Is the XFL / USFL putting a dent in CFL recruitment plans?  Or maybe we feel we have "enough"?  Dunno.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 26, 2023, 10:53:09 PM
Is the XFL / USFL putting a dent in CFL recruitment plans?  Or maybe we feel we have "enough"?  Dunno.

Perhaps but other teams seem to adding players lately.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 26, 2023, 10:57:16 PM
Perhaps but other teams seem to adding players lately.

Other teams have some of the same needs as the Bombers, many don't. But just because other teams are adding players does not mean we need to follow suit.  One can argue more players in camp are better but if the recruitment is strategic and focused that may be the route to follow rather than just "adding players".  The Bombers have been improving over several years.  They seem to have a formula in drafting, trading and recruitment that works for them.  Until proven wrong, I will go with the present process.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just saying that most of the other teams have to do a lot more than the Bombers to improve their teams and that means bringing in more competition.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 27, 2023, 07:02:10 AM
Other teams have some of the same needs as the Bombers, many don't. But just because other teams are adding players does not mean we need to follow suit.  One can argue more players in camp are better but if the recruitment is strategic and focused that may be the route to follow rather than just "adding players".  The Bombers have been improving over several years.  They seem to have a formula in drafting, trading and recruitment that works for them.  Until proven wrong, I will go with the present process.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just saying that most of the other teams have to do a lot more than the Bombers to improve their teams and that means bringing in more competition.

Walters had said he planned to add another 30 - 35 players awhile back and we've added perhaps 7 since then in April. The draft will add another 10 so we're still far under his comment.

It's not the total specifically but the balance needed to run drills within positional groups .For example, I count 20 DB's but only 13 receivers. In the past we've usually had about 20 of each. 3 QB's need some bodies to throw to with DB's covering them. For that matter I'd expect a 4th QB in TC.

I agree we have less roster issues than other teams but that wasn't the focus of my statement.

We still have to fill 12 PR spots and you want to find those with the most upside. It's a volume business regardless of whether you have a set veteran roster.  Mini camps were held to find candidates.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

13 receivers, trying out for a couple of PR spots. I would like to see more DL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on April 27, 2023, 06:50:57 PM
13 receivers, trying out for a couple of PR spot. I would like to see more DL.

13 receivers in total, not all rookies. Only 5. We have 3 receivers that were on PR most of last year.  Yes we could use a couple more DL in the mix.
2019 Grey Cup Champions