Does anyone remember the Hunter's Potato Chips sold at Winnipeg Stadium?

Started by Foxhound, January 24, 2023, 08:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxhound

For some time in the 1960's Hunter's Potato Chips were the brand sold at Winnipeg Stadium. Does anyone remember buying Hunter's Potato Chips in those days?

???

I think that's Herb Gray on the left with Bud Grant in this ad from the 14 September 1963 Winnipeg Blue Bombers program promoting the 1963 Hunter's CFL coins:

Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

And does anyone else here collect the 1963 CFL coins that were free inside each bag of Hunter's? Here's the one of Kenny Ploen:

???
Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

The 1963 CFL coins had transparent backs. Here's the reverse of one:
Radically Canadian!

pjrocksmb

Ok we need this next year, get me a bag of old Dutch with a coin with Biggie or Willie on it.

Speaking of CFL collectables, anyone have the football cards in the 90s?

Foxhound

Quote from: pjrocksmb on January 25, 2023, 01:13:24 AMOk we need this next year, get me a bag of old Dutch with a coin with Biggie or Willie on it.

Yes, I really wish Old Dutch would issue a 180-225 coin CFL set!

Quote from: pjrocksmb on January 25, 2023, 01:13:24 AMSpeaking of CFL collectables, anyone have the football cards in the 90s?

I have the 1991 All World(English) and both the 1991 and 1992 Jogo.

:)
Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

Well I have learned that Old Dutch Foods did not acquire Hunter's anyway (or at least they've completely forgotten about it).

:(
Radically Canadian!

pjrocksmb

Let's start a petition! Bring back the coins bring back the coins!

Foxhound

Next time I email Old Dutch I'm going to strongly suggest that they issue a 225 coin CFL set.

:)
Radically Canadian!

ichabod_crane

I have some blue bomber team cards from early 1980?s. Dieter (don?t call me Ralph) Brock et al?maybe from 1982. Think some local issue only. TRUE BLUE book from 1984 cup run. Sold like hotcakes after GC WIN.

TecnoGenius

Didn't they sell programs every game in the 80's?  I miss those programs.  I didn't seem to have kept any from then, though.  But I remember they always had a page that showed all the ref hand signals.  Loved studying that page as a kid, waiting thru the commercial breaks.

Bring back the programs!  (Yes, we get the depth chart sheet today, but it's not as much info.)
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 06, 2023, 08:16:22 AM
Didn't they sell programs every game in the 80's?  I miss those programs.  I didn't seem to have kept any from then, though.  But I remember they always had a page that showed all the ref hand signals.  Loved studying that page as a kid, waiting thru the commercial breaks.

Bring back the programs!  (Yes, we get the depth chart sheet today, but it's not as much info.)

You are correct. I have a full box or two of those programs from the 80?s. Known as cfl illustrated I believe. Also discovered some game programs from the latter 1960?s my one uncle had during that era. 

Also remember ordering the cfl facts and figures stats mini-sized books for a few years in the 80?s. This was before all such information was on the world wide web/internet like today.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on February 07, 2023, 04:54:36 AM
You are correct. I have a full box or two of those programs from the 80?s. Known as cfl illustrated I believe. Also discovered some game programs from the latter 1960?s my one uncle had during that era. 

If you ever find you have a duplicate of a program you can part with, I'll happily buy one off you.  Especially the 1982-1988 range, which is when I went the most with my dad.  Kicking myself I didn't keep them... but that was before I started collecting anything at all.

I think you had to pay a buck or two to get one?  I always bugged my dad to buy it.  Back then I liked reading it as much as watching the game.  Good times.
Never go full Rider!

bryan35

A few years ago CO-Op was selling Buck Pierce chips. Think it was him...

Foxhound

I'm really surprised that nobody on this board actually remembers Hunter's chips. Is everybody here a youngster?

???

Radically Canadian!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Foxhound on March 18, 2023, 01:14:04 AM
I'm really surprised that nobody on this board actually remembers Hunter's chips. Is everybody here a youngster?

???

Maybe they ate too many chips and passed away lol

TecnoGenius

I'm still looking for someone, anyone, to corroborate that they sold a candy called "Rangz" (sp?) in the early 80's.  Has nothing to do with the Bombers at all (not sold at the stadium AFAIK).  But your plea for Hunters rang(z) my bell.
Never go full Rider!

Foxhound

Quote from: pjrocksmb on March 18, 2023, 01:20:47 AMMaybe they ate too many chips and passed away lol

Curious! Eating plenty of potato chips and chewing lots of bubble gum is how I built both my enviable physique and impressive collection. I could show you but the wretched program here strongly resists pictures.

???

Radically Canadian!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Foxhound on March 18, 2023, 03:35:20 PM
Curious! Eating plenty of potato chips and chewing lots of bubble gum is how I built both my enviable physique and impressive collection. I could show you but the wretched program here strongly resists pictures.

???

Yeah I would love to see them.  I also have a chip habit. 

Foxhound

You should do well with that chip habit. the Winnipeg Blue Bombers won the Grey Cup four out of five years from 1958 to 1962 while devouring cartons of Hunter's Potato Chips. And Bud Grant devoured so many bags he stayed spry and healthy almost to the age of 96!

;)

Radically Canadian!

TecnoGenius

Very cool collections, Fox.  My kids would go mental there.  I hope you have a kid yourself to pass those down to!

Those newer CFL cards are really nice!  Why aren't they sold anywhere fans would be, like the freakin' stadiums??  Make a zillion packs and sell them for $5 or $10 a pack at IGF.  This isn't rocket science.

My son would probably get way more hyped about the CFL if he could have something to collect and stats to look at.  Kids are still totally into that stuff today, they've just transferred it to stupid pokemon and such instead.  But they still like collecting and learning all the details.

P.S. Built that same P-38 model as a kid, and USS Arizona.  But made the mistake of using them as toys after, and thus they now have major battle damage  ;D

Trying to get the kid into building models (loves cars) but very hard to find retail stores with the kits/supplies these days.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Have to say that is the most impressive card collection I have ever seen. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

I love chips also.  But my Dr, says the salt raises my blood pressure.  Why are all good things bad for us?  Glad you boys have fond memories of them.  Enjoy in moderation. :) 

Foxhound

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2023, 02:13:10 AMThose newer CFL cards are really nice!  Why aren't they sold anywhere fans would be, like the freakin' stadiums??  Make a zillion packs and sell them for $5 or $10 a pack at IGF.  This isn't rocket science.

I can't say why the Upper Deck packs aren't available at IGF Stadium but a sixteen pack box of the Upper Deck CFL cards goes for just under $100 at card shops.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2023, 02:13:10 AMMy son would probably get way more hyped about the CFL if he could have something to collect and stats to look at.  Kids are still totally into that stuff today, they've just transferred it to stupid pokemon and such instead.  But they still like collecting and learning all the details.

The problem I see is that most cards are sold at premium price points as opposed to kid friendly prices. I'd actually like to see CFL player cards/coins as food premiums, e.g. in chips, cereal, peanut butter, etc.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2023, 02:13:10 AMTrying to get the kid into building models (loves cars) but very hard to find retail stores with the kits/supplies these days.

Indeed. Decades ago model kits were available in every hardware and variety store and even in some book stores such as Coles. But these days they're only found in dedicated hobby shops. There are several such hobby shops in Winnipeg though.

:-\
Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

Quote from: DM83 on March 21, 2023, 03:45:33 PMI love chips also.  But my Dr, says the salt raises my blood pressure.  Why are all good things bad for us?  Glad you boys have fond memories of them.  Enjoy in moderation. :) 

There's no hope. Everything, i.e. life in general, is bad for you. And something will absolutely, positively get you. (None of us lives forever.) And if you worry about everything, well stress is the biggest killer of them all.

That's why I stay away from the really idiotic, e.g. drugs, alcohol, tobacco and eat "semi" moderately (no more than I'm working off walking everywhere and carrying everything on a daily basis) but in general don't fret about how "healthy" I'm eating. Like you say, moderation is the key. We're omnivores designed to eat a bit of everything.

;)
Radically Canadian!

TBURGESS

Remember folks, you get more time in your 90's not more time in your 30's. Enjoy your life and stop worrying about what's bad for you.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on June 10, 2023, 03:20:12 PM
Remember folks, you get more time in your 90's not more time in your 30's. Enjoy your life and stop worrying about what's bad for you.

At the same time, do you want to be able to chase your grand kids around in your later years or do you want to be someone who needs to get around on one of those motorized carts?
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on June 10, 2023, 06:21:12 PM
At the same time, do you want to be able to chase your grand kids around in your later years or do you want to be someone who needs to get around on one of those motorized carts?
That's got more to do with keeping in shape than what you eat.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Foxhound

Quote from: Jesse on June 10, 2023, 06:21:12 PMAt the same time, do you want to be able to chase your grand kids around in your later years or do you want to be someone who needs to get around on one of those motorized carts?

Chasing younger women around would be my choice.

;)
Radically Canadian!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!