Off Season News - Other CFL Teams

Started by ModAdmin, December 02, 2022, 04:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 05, 2023, 09:47:49 PM
Maybe if we can lock down a top notch interior DL we could have one amazing front seven!

Need to shore up run stoppage. Is stove a FA in Toronto/BC? That is if he recovered from his injury.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 05, 2023, 04:26:15 PM
Ottawa Re-sign Nick Arbuckle to a one-year extension...

Good move by OTT.  A very respectable QB as #2, though I'm really hoping Masoli will play a full year for once.  Do they keep Caleb as a solid #3 for short yardage?  That would be a very nice QB room indeed.  Maybe even 2nd best in the league?
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Sask just resigned Lanier ...at 250k! Certainly no home town discounts there.
Also looks like they are making big offers to Harris and. Lewis or Lawler.. Which would be nuts if they don:t fix their online.

theaardvark

Eugene Lewis was one of the best last year, is he going to get that recognition this year?

How would he look in Blue and Gold?

Can we afford him? 

Would he be an upgrade on Rasheed Bailey?  Would Lewis' age and potential drop in production still be better than Bailey's upward potential?

When are we assured Schoen is back for 2023?  Will we have time to make other arrangements before then?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on February 06, 2023, 03:46:16 PM
Eugene Lewis was one of the best last year, is he going to get that recognition this year?

Can we afford him? 

Would he be an upgrade on Rasheed Bailey?  Would Lewis' age and potential drop in production still be better than Bailey's upward potential?

When are we assured Schoen is back for 2023?  Will we have time to make other arrangements before then?

I'm under the impression that the NFL option window closes on the 8th. However at worst it closes when free agency opens on the 13th. Schoen is not a free agent after that time.

Lewis might be affordable. We could give him the money we used on Ellingson + whatever Bailey was making above an ELC. Could end up using a receiver on an ELC as the 4th import starter. Someone like Agudosi or Harrison or a rookie.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on February 06, 2023, 03:46:16 PM

Can we afford him? 

Lewis might end up a Rider. He's looking to get paid and probably won't take a team-friendly deal to go to a contender.

The Riders are working hard to convince Harris to sign, and need Lewis or Lawler to agree to sign with him. They a QB to woo the receiver and a receiver to woo the QB.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 06, 2023, 04:08:15 PM
I'm under the impression that the NFL option window closes on the 8th. However at worst it closes when free agency opens on the 13th. Schoen is not a free agent after that time.

Lewis might be affordable. We could give him the money we used on Ellingson + whatever Bailey was making above an ELC. Could end up using a receiver on an ELC as the 4th import starter. Someone like Agudosi or Harrison or a rookie.
The fly in the ointment is the extra money we had to pay Demski, likely part of reason we may not sign Bailey. rather than Lewis or Lawler maybe we could target Walker or Dunbar or Wienike

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on February 06, 2023, 05:04:55 PM
The fly in the ointment is the extra money we had to pay Demski, likely part of reason we may not sign Bailey. rather than Lewis or Lawler maybe we could target Walker or Dunbar or Wienike

Not exactly. Ellingson probably was about $100K above an ELC deal. Bailey might have been $25K-$30K above an ELC. If we use someone like Agudosi to replace Ellingson he's on an ELC. So there may be close to $130K extra to pay Lewis $200K, if we don't re-sign Bailey or Ellingson.

I have some assumption that signing Eli instead of Couture may have reduced our hit be $75K-$100K which went to Demski.

Just speculation of course. Not every receiver is going to get $225K-$250K this year.

Lewis may consider money 1st but the Riders might not land Harris, so that might not be anybody's choice. 

There are still about 22 receivers available and it's 1st come 1st served in the SMS pool of cash. Lawler is another target in Regina, so if they sign him, that may rule out Lewis as an example.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Demski got a raise, but I'm guessing Ellingson is not being resigned.  Sshoen is still a deal, although I can see extending him with a raise with no NFL deal.

If Schoen comes back, Bailey is a little more important than Lewis would be, guessing he'd be more affordable and fills the role better.

Not sure where our overall SMS sits, we've re-signed a lot of players, but not many got big raises.

I don't think there will be an issue with our Rec corps, between what we have on the field, what we have in the pipe, and what we have yet to scout, we should be fine.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I think Walters has already made his "big splash" by re-signing most of his core players, it's not really necessary for him to go after a big fish outside his own pond when he's already put together the top team in the CFL.

Pigskin

Hamilton: Colin Kelly Suspended for 2 games after testing positive for not one but two banned substances.

First time: 2 games.
Second time: 9 games.
Third time: 1 year
Fourth time: Lifetime.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on February 06, 2023, 02:06:55 PM
Sask just resigned Lanier ...at 250k! Certainly no home town discounts there.
Also looks like they are making big offers to Harris and. Lewis or Lawler.. Which would be nuts if they don:t fix their online.

Lanier:  2021 and 2022,  21 games, 32 DT, 9 Sacks, 2 FF.  1 year, $250K.

Sayles:  2022. 18 games. 36 DT, 6 Sacks, 2 FF. $$$ ??

Sayles hasn't missed a game in two years. Lanier played 10 games in 2021, and only 11 in 2022.  Can he stay healthy?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.