Off Season News - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, December 01, 2022, 05:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Seems a bit strange no retirements announced yet, usually a few players each season decide it's time to move on with their lives, perhaps those announcements will come out early in the spring.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 28, 2022, 05:32:06 PM
Seems a bit strange no retirements announced yet, usually a few players each season decide it's time to move on with their lives, perhaps those announcements will come out early in the spring.

I don't really expect any Bomber retirements...
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on December 29, 2022, 02:32:33 AM
I don't really expect any Bomber retirements...

I'm not that certain that Mike Miller or J. Briggs might not be considering retirement. Both could still play and SMS is not a huge issue for either. OTOH every player has to draw a line for moving on at some point.

Even Ellingson might think it over as well. In his case there could be more of an issue if he's given a lower salary offer and / or reduced role. He turns 34 tomorrow and had year long nagging injuries.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

CFL News
@CFL_News
8h
Denver Broncos promote Canadian pass rusher Jonathan Kongbo to active roster https://3downnation.com/2022/12/31/denver-broncos-promote-canadian-pass-rusher-jonathan-kongbo-to-active-roster/
via @3DownNation
#NFL #Broncos #CFL

Blue In BC

Ok, 2023 and new SMS money is ready to use. Let the re-signings begin. I expect a couple to be done very quickly this coming week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 01, 2023, 05:40:52 PM
Ok, 2023 and new SMS money is ready to use. Let the re-signings begin. I expect a couple to be done very quickly this coming week.

Wasn't 2023 money always available for signings?  The only thing Jan 1, 2023 brought was an end to excess 2022 cap...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Is leftover 2022 cap money wiped from the books on Jan. 1st?  Reason I'm asking is a few CFL teams did very little post season to re-sign their own players, you would think there would be some urgency if that spending allowance suddenly expired.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 04, 2023, 06:35:07 PM
Is leftover 2022 cap money wiped from the books on Jan. 1st?  Reason I'm asking is a few CFL teams did very little post season to re-sign their own players, you would think there would be some urgency if that spending allowance suddenly expired.

As far as I know that is correct and we're now going to be using 2023 SMS. I'm more surprised we haven't started with a few re-signings this week!!!

Demski. C'mon down. Jeffcoat. C'mon down.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 04, 2023, 07:08:07 PM
Demski. C'mon down. Jeffcoat. C'mon down.

Did we ever find out why Jeffcoat left the GC?  No one saw him get injured.  Guess he aggravated whatever kept him out half the season.  Did we ever find out what that was??  The only thing I know about his injuries all year is the one-word nonsense the team puts out that tells you nothing (e.g. "hip").

I think it's important to know the full extent of his 2022 injuries when we decide whether to re-sign him for big coin or not.  It could be he's hit the injury wall and will "Stove" the rest of his career.  (I'm hoping not!)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 05, 2023, 04:45:22 AM
Did we ever find out why Jeffcoat left the GC?  No one saw him get injured.  Guess he aggravated whatever kept him out half the season.  Did we ever find out what that was??  The only thing I know about his injuries all year is the one-word nonsense the team puts out that tells you nothing (e.g. "hip").

I think it's important to know the full extent of his 2022 injuries when we decide whether to re-sign him for big coin or not.  It could be he's hit the injury wall and will "Stove" the rest of his career.  (I'm hoping not!)

Good question. IIRC it was some sort of hip injury. He didn't practice much for a lot of the season. Whether it carries forward to 2023 that's for the team to know / decide.

I thought I heard a comment that Jeffcoat had signed in early December but announcements are always paced in the media. Don't know if that actually happened or not.

Team must be due to make some announcements about players re-signing, being released, or retired etc.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

IIRC, 3Down rumored that Jeffcoat and Hardrick already re-signed but not announced yet. Yes it was early in December.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.