Salary Disclosure, NDAs and NCAs

Started by Jesse, November 23, 2022, 06:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 24, 2022, 10:32:05 PM
Sure it is, but the only folks who gain from people not talking about how much they make is the companies who pay them.

Ok. What do you do for a living and how much do you earn?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 03:21:28 PM

I thought you didn't care about how much money someone makes...
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 25, 2022, 03:30:28 PM
I thought you didn't care about how much money someone makes...

I don't. However I want to see how freely the poster that DOES is willing to share his salary. It's his argument and I want to see if he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.  I await his response.

Any bets on whether he is willing to disclose?

Obviously his co-workers won't know who he is to relate to their salaries, but it's an interesting question.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 03:36:39 PM
I don't. However I want to see how freely the poster that DOES is willing to share his salary. It's his argument and I want to see if he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.  I await his response.

Any bets on whether he is willing to disclose?

Obviously his co-workers won't know who he is to relate to their salaries, but it's an interesting question.

I'm a teacher and my salary is a matter of public record.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 03:36:39 PM
I don't. However I want to see how freely the poster that DOES is willing to share his salary. It's his argument and I want to see if he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Seems like you're arguing solely for the sake of arguing.

On the one hand, you don't seem to care about CFL player salaries being accessible to the public, but then ask a poster on here what his salary is. To what end, exactly?

Quote from: Jesse on November 25, 2022, 03:55:09 PM
I'm a teacher and my salary is a matter of public record.

I'm a public/civil servant and mine is, too. That said, I couldn't give a rip who knows what I make and I'm glad those who do are able to access that information for the sake of transparency.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 25, 2022, 04:23:12 PM
Seems like you're arguing solely for the sake of arguing.

On the one hand, you don't seem to care about CFL player salaries being accessible to the public, but then ask a poster on here what his salary is. To what end, exactly?

I'm a public/civil servant and mine is, too. That said, I couldn't give a rip who knows what I make and I'm glad those who do are able to access that information for the sake of transparency.

Reading comprehension problem? I said exactly why I ask was asking him. Seriously, is it that difficult to understand my one short one line post?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 03:21:28 PM
I'm retired and my CPP/OAS are a matter of public record.

I was an IT Professional in my working life. Last salary was about 15 years ago. $110K-ish plus bonuses.

What do you do, and how much to you earn?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 25, 2022, 04:35:29 PM
I'm retired and my CPP/OAS are a matter of public record.

I was an IT Professional in my working life. Last salary was about 15 years ago. $110K-ish plus bonuses.

What do you do, and how much to you earn?

Nice gig and salary. Did your co-workers know what your salary was and / or did you know theirs?

I've been retired for a little over 11 years. I was a Director of Operations in an electronics manufacturing firm. Responsible for planning, purchasing, manufacturing, quality, shipping and receiving. Note that the company was privately owned and not a public company. My salary was confidential and part of my NDA.

Come to think about it, most of my salaries over the last 15 years of employment were part of my NDA's.

Why would I disclose my salary history when I've argued I'm opposed to that concept?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 04:40:33 PM
Nice gig and salary. Did your co-workers know what your salary was and / or did you know theirs?

I've been retired for a little over 11 years. I was a Director of Operations in an electronics manufacturing firm. Responsible for planning, purchasing, manufacturing, quality, shipping and receiving. Note that the company was privately owned and not a public company. My salary was confidential and part of my NDA.

Come to think about it, most of my salaries over the last 15 years of employment were part of my NDA's.

Why would I disclose my salary history when I've argued I'm opposed to that concept?

That is some BS right there.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on November 25, 2022, 04:53:20 PM
That is some BS right there.

Apparently you don't know much about contracts for executives in private companies. Calling me out on that shows your ignorance.

Previously from 1967-1992 I was a union employee in 4 different unions. As such everyone knew how much the others were earning by job classification and number of years worked. Noting that " merit " had nothing to do with how much each person earned.

Obviously as either a government and / or union employee, that information was available publicly etc etc for you.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 04:55:45 PM
Obviously as either a government and / or union employee, that information was available publicly etc etc for you.

The CFL (CFLPA) being the obvious exception.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 25, 2022, 05:04:15 PM
The CFL (CFLPA) being the obvious exception.

I thought about that. Some teams are public owned and others are private. So some salary information might be available for the public teams like the Bombers. Or it may just show up as a total cost line item. The profit and loss is available for the public teams and the SMS determines which teams under spend to the floor or over spend to the cap.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 04:55:45 PM
Apparently you don't know much about contracts for executives in private companies. Calling me out on that shows your ignorance.

Previously from 1967-1992 I was a union employee in 4 different unions. As such everyone knew how much the others were earning by job classification and number of years worked. Noting that " merit " had nothing to do with how much each person earned.

I'm not calling you out at all - I am simply saying that including that as part of an NDA is corporate BS.

It is 100% protecting the company at the expense of the employee.
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 25, 2022, 04:40:33 PM

I knew everyone underneath me's salary, but not those above or the same as me. Salaries weren't posted but salary bands were, so folks knew if they were in the bottom, middle, or top of their band.

I know some folks were being paid too much just because they'd been with the company for a long time and others weren't being paid enough considering their contribution to the workload.

As a Director, I'm sure you'd hate having to justify everyone's salary and hate everyone knowing what your salary was. As I've said before, not talking salary is great for those who are at the top and those who are deciding other peoples salaries, but it's bad for the workers. As there are more workers than management, I'd err on their side.

On a side note... I think NDA's should be illegal.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.