I think I'm ok

Started by blue_or_die, November 21, 2022, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nic16

Stinging loss but be proud fellow BB fans!

We still have the great memories of b2b championships! And we represented the Bombers well at the game.
Cannot say the same thing about Argo & Rider fans. Far too many empty seats for a championship game!
Regina & the CFL should be thankful the b2b champs we?re in that game! It would have been an embarrassment otherwise!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 21, 2022, 06:21:53 PM
I'm not really shocked they lost as I always considered it a possibility, but the mad ride yesterday kept indicating they were going to find a way to pull it out of the fire once again, so the end result is disappointing.

I was thinking that I almost (but not really) wish that the last couple minutes there where it felt like we flubbed and then got breaks to make winning a possibility didn't happen, just to save the final heartbreak!
#Ride?

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 21, 2022, 09:38:42 PM
I was thinking that I almost (but not really) wish that the last couple minutes there where it felt like we flubbed and then got breaks to make winning a possibility didn't happen, just to save the final heartbreak!
Darrin Bauming mentioned this in his Post Game show....it was like we were inexplicably given a few mulligans what with the facemasking call which negated a loss of downs deep in our end and the OC foul on Banks who chirped the ref on the no PI call near the goal line.    Then we blocked a FG attempt and were still down only a point with plenty of time to drive into FG range.  I was yelling at the TV screen to just keep pounding the rock on 2nd and 5 and then they knocked down the pass at the LoS!!   Ugh!!!   Brady was running the ball well at the time and one more running play also would have used up more clock time and even if we were short there was the option to go for another short 3rd down attempt eating up more of the clock and getting us closer to the end zone.
Doesn't matter a rats a$$ now though....but that's my take on it.

We were given several chances to rally back and then they made a play or was it even necessary as the I'll-fated FG attempt by Legghio didn't seem to be struck well from the get go.    Seemed to be low and wide left.
Bomber fan for life

dd

Totally fine with it, even with how we lost it as I told my wife before the game started this was going to happen and also told her I wasn?t even going to freak out, and I didn?t. It was a close game and it came down to kicking and we?ll lose that one every time and we did. No big deal.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 21, 2022, 05:23:19 PM
What irks me most is that it had to be a loss to the Argonauts. That franchise sickens me.

Yes, strangely I find that to be one of the worst aspects of the loss.  I was so hoping HAM would be in it as I'm fine with them finally getting it.  Even if SSK had crossed over and won I'd be happier with it.  Literally any team than TOR.  Because TOR is the lucky horseshoe if-we-get-in-we-win team that rarely is the better/best team in the league.  And they've already won the most cups.

The only saving grace is I'm happy for AH33, I predicted this outcome in the pre-season: AH33 getting his revenge.  And I'm strangely happy for Henoc.  Maybe the dude balling his eyes out for 5 minutes straight made me feel for the guy.  I didn't realize it had been 11 years.  Both MVP/MOC?  Not sure about that, but good for the guy to finally get a cup.  And I'm strangely happy for Banks.  Maybe now he can retire.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 21, 2022, 10:36:50 PM
just keep pounding the rock on 2nd and 5 and then they knocked down the pass at the LoS!!   Ugh!!!   Brady was running the ball well at the time and one more running play also would have used up more clock time

We were given several chances to rally back and then they made a play or was it even necessary as the I'll-fated FG attempt by Legghio didn't seem to be struck well from the get go.    Seemed to be low and wide left.

Ya that was messed up.  But TOR was loading the box for a blitz and run blitz.  It was the wrong call.  Maybe a hitch screen, which we rarely do so would be unexpected would have been better.  TOR might have stuffed BO20 for only 1 or 2 yards.  We needed 4 to get within sneak distance.  Was 1 or 2 yards going to make the FG any easier (higher trajectory)?  No.  It was first down or bust.

The thing was, once we were in FG range, no way was MOS going to gamble on anything other than 3rd&1.

Zach should have pumpfaked.  He had the time.  I think that's why he was so mad immediately after.  He had a good pocket.  Fake and make the guy jump, then throw.

And yes, slowmo hints the kick might have gone a bit wide left.  But you never know with the spin and wind.  It was pretty good, not shanked.  It was only low because he needed the distance: I'm not concerned with the low.  Sayles blew the block, and Beadreau had braindead hoggie blocking package for a must-make no-chance-of-recovery who-cares-if-they-return-TD FG.  I'm going to touch on that in another thread if it hasn't been discussed to death.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I just got home from Regina.  We took the day to poke around town and do things we don't normally get to do.  And then drive home in the mini-blizzard.  (When you can't use your brights because the snow is too darn heavy, it's a driving blizzard to me.)

I argee with OP.  Mostly.  I was perfectly fine at the moment.  Stunned more than anything.  I was fine chatting with fans doing the bus thing (orange line, took 1.5 hours, one of the last people!).

But next day driving around Regina the mini-depression hit me.  Just a numbness that we lost in such a manner.  We were weak all game in so many ways.  Losing to an inferior team: now I know how 2019 TiCats felt.  But I feel like we kind of deserved it, coming out like that with weak play and a weak plan and weak coaching.  Everything was just flat.

I got out of that funk pretty fast, and had fun the rest of Monday.  Got to my favorite places, and many new places, and spending great time with my son and driving my favorite car.  Life is good.

I feel sorry for the guys on the team, but for the vets with 1 or 2 rings, I bet they feel a lot like the fans do.  There's solace in the 2 rings, and knowing we have a good group, and we'll most likely be stronger next year for taking this on the chin.

I mention this every year: who has the hunger.  We weren't hungry.  We were complacent.  Some players made great plays, especially on D.  But our O was very flat, just like in the WDF.  TOR just made those hair's-width extra-effort plays more than we did.

TOR deserved to win, and I am fine with that.  And I'm super proud of our guys.  Super proud.  The best-season-ever and division win are good enough for me.  It just wasn't in the cards for the cup win.  This loss might be the thing to kick them in the butt to get that hunger back for the run next year.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Upon Further Review | 109th Grey Cup

.....THE 'NOW WHAT?' QUESTIONS... will begin to be debated and analyzed by the Blue Bombers and management over the next few days in exit meetings and in the months ahead. There are some meaty issues to tackle, too, the biggest being head coach Mike O'Shea?s expiring contract.

Clearly the Blue Bombers have built something of substance here, with the two consecutive championships followed by a 15-3 record and then a loss in the championship game. But it?s a change business, as they say.

"Look around this locker room, you're going to see a good majority of familiar faces who are going to be back next year," said running back Brady Oliveira, tears welling in his eyes. "We know what we've got in this locker room. Guys want to come back and if we can keep these guys together that chemistry is already there, that confidence is already there, and it builds every season if there?s not a lot of turnaround.

"We've got the best quarterback in the league. We've got the best offensive line in the league. We've got great players all around who want to be back next year and make another run for the Grey Cup next year.

"They just made one more play than us and you've got to give them credit. They won the Grey Cup and that?s great, but we're going to use this as fuel to the fire. I know personally I'm going to attack this offseason. I hate this feeling."

That was a universal sentiment after months and months of early mornings, heavy workout sessions and eons of film work. One day, a handful of plays, and suddenly it ends with a devastating result.

"I see what these guys bring every single day," said linebacker Adam Bighill. "That's why I'm sad it didn't happen tonight, because I know guys have worked for it. I'm very proud of every single guy in this room. It's just tough we didn't pull through.".....

Read more on Further Review here!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

On the bright side... MOS's contract value just flattened vs what it would have been with a win!  I'm sure KW will pay him what he's worth.  And I'm sure MOS was never going to ask for the sun & moon & stars.  But now for sure he won't!  ;)
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 22, 2022, 05:38:34 AM
Yes, strangely I find that to be one of the worst aspects of the loss.  I was so hoping HAM would be in it as I'm fine with them finally getting it.  Even if SSK had crossed over and won I'd be happier with it.  Literally any team than TOR.  Because TOR is the lucky horseshoe if-we-get-in-we-win team that rarely is the better/best team in the league.  And they've already won the most cups.

The only saving grace is I'm happy for AH33, I predicted this outcome in the pre-season: AH33 getting his revenge.  And I'm strangely happy for Henoc.  Maybe the dude balling his eyes out for 5 minutes straight made me feel for the guy.  I didn't realize it had been 11 years.  Both MVP/MOC?  Not sure about that, but good for the guy to finally get a cup.  And I'm strangely happy for Banks.  Maybe now he can retire.

It's just lame how that organization gets little to no attention in its home city unless it's in the big game. But the minute they are, it's non-stop ad nauseam about the "greatest" franchise in the CFL. The media for the most part has already moved on, with TSN caring more about the Leafs and their mounting blue line injuries. For such a storied franchise, all the Argonauts ever seem to get is conditional love - at best. I had honestly hoped the Alouettes would represent the East as I think the matchup would've been more entertaining.

Good for Harris getting another ring but I'm not sure I'd classify it as revenge. It's not like he ran roughshod the other night or was a factor in deciding the game. The Bombers made the right decision moving on from him and that's just the nature of the business in sports, regardless of how he feels or felt about it.

Muamba is the only feel good aspect for me. I'm glad he finally got his ring and adding MVP/MOC to his resume is pretty nice, too.

Banks can retire now. And good riddance.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Zach Schnitzer

The is for this thread. I?m gutted. I get why ppl are feeling better than they thought they would. For me, the three peat meant dynasty, something I could tell my kids and grandkids about. It was so very close, despite us being outplayed. The seesaw of thinking it was over the on sack, after the blocked fg, seeing the face mask and big pass to Ellingson and five yard gain by Brady. I thought we had it. Just like last year. Then in an instant, it was over. I am of course super proud of the team and grateful for 2 cups. But three peat was there for the taking and as you know, you never know in sports if you?ll get back. Be it injuries, retirements, guys looking for more money, or just bad luck, you never know. I think we?ll see some turnover and perhaps Biggie, Thomas, and Hardrick showed their age. We make one more play we win, be it a tackle, catch, or kick. Tough to swallow. I?m sure the players feel a million times worse than me. We?ll definitely talk about it more on Bauming?s show.
#fortheW

J5V

I'm just now feeling like the pain has subsided enough that I can make a post. It took a lot of alcohol to deaden that pain and I'm just now coming around. That game was an incredible roller coaster of emotion and my heart almost didn't survive it. The 1-point loss was crushing. The result a horrifying nightmare.

The way I see it, Zach's injury in the WF was an omen of things to come. Without his legs he had no zip on the ball and he couldn't scramble effectively. He was a sitting duck back there most of the night and the Argos knew it. The Argo pass rush kept pressuring our O-line and I was horrified to see them breaking through to pressure Zach as the game wore on.

The other thing that stands out for me is how Liegghio's performance reminded me of our first loss of the season to Montreal. It's horrifying when a kicker struggles like that and when he missed the first extra point in this game the tone was set. It could be argued that Liegghio cost us our undefeated streak earlier this year and then the Grey Cup. I'm not sure I'd be inviting him back to camp next year. It might be best for him and us if he went on to play elsewhere.

Losing sucks, period. Matters little to who but I will say losing to the Argos sucks hard! We are something like 0-7 in Grey Cups to that team over our history. I despise them and wanted to beat them so badly to end the Grey Cup drought. I'm hoping for a rematch and a serious Argo beat-down next year. We have unfinished business with that team now and if I know MOS and Wade Miller that's the way they'll be seeing it too, unfinished business.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on November 23, 2022, 05:09:56 AM
The way I see it, Zach's injury in the WF was an omen of things to come. Without his legs he had no zip on the ball and he couldn't scramble effectively. He was a sitting duck back there most of the night and the Argos knew it. The Argo pass rush kept pressuring our O-line and I was horrified to see them breaking through to pressure Zach as the game wore on.

The other thing that stands out for me is how Liegghio's performance reminded me of our first loss of the season to Montreal. It's horrifying when a kicker struggles like that and when he missed the first extra point in this game the tone was set. It could be argued that Liegghio cost us our undefeated streak earlier this year and then the Grey Cup. I'm not sure I'd be inviting him back to camp next year. It might be best for him and us if he went on to play elsewhere.

Losing sucks, period. Matters little to who but I will say losing to the Argos sucks hard! We are something like 0-7 in Grey Cups to that team over our history. I despise them and wanted to beat them so badly to end the Grey Cup drought. I'm hoping for a rematch and a serious Argo beat-down next year. We have unfinished business with that team now and if I know MOS and Wade Miller that's the way they'll be seeing it too, unfinished business.

Agreed on all points.  The Zach pressure isn't all on Zach/injury: Buck didn't do enough mixing it up to relieve the pressure.  TOR bet all their chips we'd stick to our tendencies, and we didn't disappoint.  Buck called such a vanilla game it wasn't even funny.  Run on 1st, pass on 2nd & long.  No draws.  Very few sweeps.  Not a single hitch screen I don't think.  And we didn't adjust!!  We also didn't run our 6-man OL package as much on the pass as we did in WDF.

Yes, the game smelled very much like the MTL loss.  Many similarities in plays and overall feeling.  Would we have won with Meddie?  Maybe.  Compare our kicking stats to TOR's: 10-20 less yards on every avg.  It adds up.  But Leggs did make more FGs, and that last screw-up isn't on him.  I'm fine keeping with developing Leggs.  If he can incrementally improve every year, he'll be good.  I like how MOS is planning around his capabilities: punting instead of FGing.  That's what we need while he's developing.

Rematch: you bet.  That is what will instill the needed hunger in our guys.  If we get a rematch it should be an epic beatdown.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Actually, would not be surprised to see Bombers facing TO in the first regular season game next year. Often happens that way.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

John T.

Quote from: Zach Schnitzer on November 23, 2022, 02:04:35 AM
The is for this thread. I?m gutted. I get why ppl are feeling better than they thought they would. For me, the three peat meant dynasty, something I could tell my kids and grandkids about. It was so very close, despite us being outplayed. The seesaw of thinking it was over the on sack, after the blocked fg, seeing the face mask and big pass to Ellingson and five yard gain by Brady. I thought we had it. Just like last year. Then in an instant, it was over. I am of course super proud of the team and grateful for 2 cups. But three peat was there for the taking and as you know, you never know in sports if you?ll get back. Be it injuries, retirements, guys looking for more money, or just bad luck, you never know. I think we?ll see some turnover and perhaps Biggie, Thomas, and Hardrick showed their age. We make one more play we win, be it a tackle, catch, or kick. Tough to swallow. I?m sure the players feel a million times worse than me. We?ll definitely talk about it more on Bauming?s show.
I don't know if this'll help, but the Bud Grant/Kenny Ploen Bombers never won three in a row, and they're still considered something of a dynasty, and possibly the greatest Bomber teams of all time. That works for me.

I think that if the Bombers can come back next year and win, the 2022 glitch in the Matrix won't mean that much in the long run.