Argos at Blue Bombers GREY CUP pregame thread

Started by GOLDMEMBER, November 14, 2022, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

My Grandson likes to look at the history of the CFL. In 1937 we lost to Toronto. 4-3, in 1942, 8-5, 1947 it was 10-9, and in 1960, 13-0. Talk about D.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Be interesting to see what new wrinkles each team shows, no reason to hold back on the final game
I expect to see Toronto do a number of snaps with both Harris and Oullette both in the backfield..one acting as a decoy for the other

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on November 15, 2022, 05:15:16 PM
I just noticed that Winnipeg has never beaten Toronto in a GC. Toronto is 7-0 against Winnipeg in GC. Last time we played Toronto in a GC was 1950. Would be nice to break that goose egg. 

I would be more concerned with the stat that TOR has like 6 straight GC wins.  Basically, if they get to the big game, they win it.  It's like the anti WPG-before-2019.  They seem to never care about a dynasty: they shoot for the "big year" and a one-off win.  Look how many expensive assets they piled on this year.  I'm not sure they stayed within the cap.

TOR is the horseshoe-up-the-jockstrap team of the CFL.

I hope we play real solid ball to not give their luck any chance of materializing.  That basically means ball protection and control.  Their luck has to run out sometime, and looking at how other GC win streaks usually occur, the chance of TOR adding to their GC win streak would seem very small.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on November 16, 2022, 03:20:17 AM
Be interesting to see what new wrinkles each team shows, no reason to hold back on the final game
I expect to see Toronto do a number of snaps with both Harris and Oullette both in the backfield..one acting as a decoy for the other

They didn't do that in the EDF.  However, I think you're on to something... most of their WR are useless placeholders that they just leave unused for some reason.  Might as well take out someone like Phillips and have AH/AJ in a dual-back formation for every single play!  That would give Hall fits, that's for sure.

I fully expect us to roster DL/LB heavy and skimp on the DBs.  DBs may not be needed much for this game unless MBT/Dinwiddie go all air happy like CGY did in the WSF.... OR, if/when Hall shuts down the TOR run completely.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 16, 2022, 06:14:54 AM
They didn't do that in the EDF.  However, I think you're on to something... most of their WR are useless placeholders that they just leave unused for some reason.  Might as well take out someone like Phillips and have AH/AJ in a dual-back formation for every single play!  That would give Hall fits, that's for sure.

I fully expect us to roster DL/LB heavy and skimp on the DBs.  DBs may not be needed much for this game unless MBT/Dinwiddie go all air happy like CGY did in the WSF.... OR, if/when Hall shuts down the TOR run completely.

We don't have a lot of healthy options on either the 1 game IR or PR.  Walker is the only possible player that might be moved back to the game day roster. Nobody on the WDF I want to come off unless due to injury ( Clement ? ) Holm as a DI played well on ST's and his speed may be needed on at times on defence.

Realistically I expect very close to the last game roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

In the WF our D-line looked very, good. I thought our Db's also looked very good; this was all part due to the scheme that Ritchie had in place. Let's hope he can scheme against T.O as well this week.

Our offensive line played great, and Brady ran tough, I believe we can out physical the T.O defence, but they are bigger and stronger in the middle. Zach did not have a good game; he should have had 3 or 4 picks and one was almost a guaranteed pick 6. T.O's backfield is opportunistic; he needs to be play better.

Specials was a roller coaster all game, we need to be better fundamentally, ball security has to be better, and Leggs can-not have a repeat of last week. If we didn't make a mistake on the blocked kick which essentially took points away, If we didn't flub a kick and essentially give BC a TD, if we didn't miss two converts costing us 2 points, if we didn't let a missed PAT get returned against us costing us another 2 points we would have had much better control of the game. We are a better team than T.O but they are very opportunistic and if we give them chances like that, I think they will make us pay more so than BC did.

Luckily for us we have done this before, we made mistakes in the WF last year and came out OK winning the GC the next week, let's hope in this case history repeats itself.

Oh and I want to see Banks throw a hissy fit before half!

Horseman

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 16, 2022, 02:58:07 PM
In the WF our D-line looked very, good. I thought our Db's also looked very good; this was all part due to the scheme that Ritchie had in place. Let's hope he can scheme against T.O as well this week.

Our offensive line played great, and Brady ran tough, I believe we can out physical the T.O defence, but they are bigger and stronger in the middle. Zach did not have a good game; he should have had 3 or 4 picks and one was almost a guaranteed pick 6. T.O's backfield is opportunistic; he needs to be play better.

Specials was a roller coaster all game, we need to be better fundamentally, ball security has to be better, and Leggs can-not have a repeat of last week. If we didn't make a mistake on the blocked kick which essentially took points away, If we didn't flub a kick and essentially give BC a TD, if we didn't miss two converts costing us 2 points, if we didn't let a missed PAT get returned against us costing us another 2 points we would have had much better control of the game. We are a better team than T.O but they are very opportunistic and if we give them chances like that, I think they will make us pay more so than BC did.

Luckily for us we have done this before, we made mistakes in the WF last year and came out OK winning the GC the next week, let's hope in this case history repeats itself.

Yes, seeing Banks and MBT both blow a gasket would be awesome.

Pigskin

I am wondering if McManis will be in the lineup for the Argo's. He was hurt in the east final.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on November 16, 2022, 05:43:01 PM
I am wondering if McManis will be in the lineup for the Argo's. He was hurt in the east final.

The freep says no.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 16, 2022, 02:58:07 PM

You do realize BC is a better team than TO right? TO feasted on weak Eastern division teams. The TO DL is quote bigger and stronger? Bigger and stronger than who or what?
Based in the EDF there run D can be very suspect and T Harris had his moments as well.

I agree special teams needs to be more consistent.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 16, 2022, 06:00:46 PM
The freep says no.
Big loss for them. He is there best LB.

Pigskin

Pigskin

Apparently today it was -18 with the wind chill. 30-50 km winds. Forecast looking better each day of the week.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on November 16, 2022, 07:41:32 PM
Apparently today it was -18 with the wind chill. 30-50K km winds. Forecast looking better each day of the week.
could be Regina climatologist pushers. I would not put it past them.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 16, 2022, 07:52:19 PM
could be Regina climatologist pushers. I would not put it past them.

Haha!  Someone finally out-tinfoiled me!  That's some heavy-duty tinfoil you got there.  Pay off the Regina env-can guy to push a warm forecast to sell more tickets and keep people from dumping.  Then come Sunday it's a royal blizzard and -20C.  Hahaha.

Well, anything is possible.  ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!