11 Blue Bombers named Division All-Stars

Started by ModAdmin, November 02, 2022, 03:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

11 Blue Bombers named Division All-Stars

WINNIPEG, MB., November 2, 2022 - The Canadian Football League today unveiled its 2022 divisional all-star teams, with 11 members of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers named to the West squad.

Honoured as West Division All-Stars are quarterback Zach Collaros, receiver Dalton Schoen, offensive tackles Stanley Bryant and Jermarcus Hardrick, guard Pat Neufeld, defensive end Willie Jefferson, linebacker Adam Bighill, cornerback Winston Rose, defensive back Deatrick Nichols, dime back Donald Rutledge, Jr. and kick returner Janarion Grant.

The voting for this round was conducted by local members of The Football Reporters of Canada, the FRC's national chapter and head coaches in the West Division.

Fans also took part in this year's selections through the All-Star Fan Vote, powered by the CFL's official data and technology partner, Genius Sports.

The CFL All-Star team will be announced on Thursday, November 10th.

Zach Collaros earned divisional all-star honours for the second straight year and the reigning CFL Most Outstanding Player is a candidate for the award again after a sensational season.

Collaros established new career highs in passing yards (4,183) and touchdowns (37), with the latter the highest total in the CFL this year and the second-highest in Blue Bombers franchise history.

Collaros had a touchdown-to-interception differential of 37:13 (or +24) which is tied for the ninth highest in CFL history and established a new Blue Bombers record, eclipsing the +23 total Jack Jacobs posted in 1951.

The Blue Bombers are now a remarkable 32-4 in games Collaros has started since his arrival at the trade deadline in October of 2019 - including back-to-back Grey Cup championships - making him just the second pivot in franchise history to lead the team to consecutive titles after Ken Ploen first accomplished the feat in 1961-62.

Dalton Schoen
authored a superb first season in the CFL and is the West Division nominee for the league's Most Outstanding Rookie award.

Schoen led the league in receiving yardage with 1,441 yards on 70 receptions and tied for first in touchdowns with 16 along with Caleb Evans of the Ottawa RedBlacks.

Schoen also led the CFL in second-down conversion catches, with a remarkable 41 of his 70 catches keeping the offence on the field. He also had five 100-yard receiving games this season.

Stanley Bryant is a three-time CFL Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman - the only player in the history of the award to win it that many times - and the West Division nominee again this season.

This is his seventh divisional all-star award after also being selected in 2013-14 and 2017-21. The 36-year-old vet continues to anchor the left side of the offensive line as part of an offence that finished second in the CFL in scoring and first in touchdowns while allowing the second-fewest quarterback sacks.

Jermarcus Hardrick has been named a divisional all-star for the third time in his career after previously being selected in 2017 and in 2021. Hardrick is now in his fifth season with the Blue Bombers and remains one of the club's vocal and inspirational leaders.

Pat Neufeld has earned his second divisional all-star berth in his 11thCFL season, the last eight with the Blue Bombers. Winnipeg finished second in rushing yards per game at 113.5, with running back Brady Oliveira reaching the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career.

Willie Jefferson was named the Blue Bombers Most Outstanding Defensive Player last week and has earned a spot on the West Division All-Star team for the fifth consecutive season after previously being named from 2017-19 and in 2021.

Jefferson led the Blue Bombers with seven sacks and has added 33 tackles, an interception for a touchdown, two forced fumbles and has 10 pass knockdowns, tied for third-most in the CFL. Earlier this season he became the first player in CFL history to record 50 sacks and 50 pass knockdowns.

Adam Bighill has been named to the West Division All-Star Team for the eighth time in his career (also: 2012-16, 2018 and 2021). The veteran middle linebacker led the club with 72 tackles, adding two quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception.

Deatrick Nichols
has earned a spot on the West Division All-Star Team for a second straight season. Nichols had 46 tackles, one interception and finished with eight pass knockdowns.

Winston Rose is a West Division all-star for a second time, having previously been honoured in 2019. The veteran corner finished second on the club to Bighill with 66 tackles, adding three interceptions ? including one for a touchdown ? a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Donald Rutledge, Jr. has been named a divisional all-star in his rookie season at the cover linebacker/dime position. He started 15 games and finished third on the team with 60 tackles, an interception and a forced fumble.

Janarion Grant has been named a West Division All-Star for the first time in his career. Grant made history this year by scoring two touchdowns on punt returns and a third on a kickoff return, giving him seven in his career with the Blue Bombers and allowing him to move past Keith Stokes as the all-time leader in return touchdowns. Grant finished first in the CFL in punt return yards with 817, was third in kickoff return yards at 782 and with his rushing and receiving contributions on offence, ranks fifth in the league in combined yardage at 1,817.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

bluengold204

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bluengold204 on November 02, 2022, 03:26:56 PM
Wow that?s a lot of names lol

Not enough, Demski got robbed!  Donald Rutledge, is like "what?".

Pigskin

Agree ND10 should be on this list. Rutledge was having a pretty good season before he was place on the PR. Which raises a few??? All-Star like season, again?? But with that said I would like to see him back on the AR for the play-offs.  Rose is another?? as an All-star. Didn't think he was terrible, but he did get beat more this year than any other in his career. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Tee42

Not sure how these votes are calculated,  but how does Boris Bede get an all star when he has the lowest FG %? Ward or Small got robbed.

Andrew Harris hasn't played most of the season??

Strange. ::)

GOLDMEMBER

Demski off is a crying shame.

Andrew Harris on signals this list is a fraud.

Rutledge is very strange as well.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Here is the entire list.

EAST DIVISION   WEST DIVISION
POSITION   OFFENCE   OFFENCE
QB   McLeod Bethel-Thompson (TOR)   Zach Collaros (WPG)
RB   Andrew Harris (TOR)*   Ka?Deem Carey (CGY)
REC   Eugene Lewis (MTL)   Dalton Schoen (WPG)
REC   Kurleigh Gittens Jr. (TOR)*   Dominique Rhymes (BC)
REC   Steven Dunbar Jr. (HAM)   Kenny Lawler (EDM)
REC   Jaelon Acklin (OTT)   Lucky Whitehead (BC)
REC   Tim White (HAM)   Kian Schaffer-Baker (SSK)*
CEN   Justin Lawrence (TOR)*   Peter Godber (BC)*
G   Brandon Revenberg (HAM)*   Patrick Neufeld (WPG)*
G   Dariusz Bladek (TOR)*   Sukh Chungh (BC)*
OT   Dejon Allen (TOR)   Stanley Bryant (WPG)
OT   Philip Blake (TOR)*   Jermarcus Hardrick (WPG)
DEFENCE   DEFENCE
DE   Ja?Gared Davis (TOR)   Willie Jefferson (WPG)
DE   Lorenzo Mauldin IV (OTT)   Shawn Lemon (CGY)
DT   Shawn Oakman (TOR)   Jake Ceresna (EDM)
DT   Dylan Wynn (HAM)   Mike Rose (CGY)
LB   Jovan Santos-Knox (HAM)   Adam Bighill (WPG)
LB   Wynton McManis (TOR)   Cameron Judge (CGY)*
CLB   Chris Edwards (TOR)   Donald Rutledge Jr. (WPG)
CB   Jamal Peters (TOR)   Winston Rose (WPG)
CB   Ciante Evans (HAM)   Garry Peters (BC)
HB   Najee Murray (MTL)   Deatrick Nichols (WPG)
HB   DaShaun Amos (TOR)   Treston Decoud (EDM)
S   Tunde Adeleke (HAM)*   Loucheiz Purifoy (BC)
SPECIAL TEAMS   SPECIAL TEAMS
K   Boris Bede (TOR)   Rene Paredes (CGY)*
P   John Haggerty (TOR)^   Cody Grace (CGY)^
ST   Daniel Adeboboye (TOR)*   Janarion Grant (WPG)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 02, 2022, 04:03:04 PM

"The Division All-Stars were selected by the local voting members of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) in their respective division's markets and the National Chapter, as well as their respective division's head coaches."

For Harris to show up as an All-Star means a lot of journalists weren't even paying attention.

GOLDMEMBER

Demski for either Whitehead or the only Rider on there.

Tee42

They must have thought Winnipeg has won too many...

Blue In BC

It does beg the question about why Rutledge is on the PR. I don't think he is better than Darby but he might be the future in 2023. Darby can play multiple positions so will we see a change going into the WDF?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

I do agree that AH33 as an All-star???

Antwi: 18 games, 600 yards 108, carries, avg. 5.66 per.
Quellette: 13 games, 516 yards, 98 carries, avg. 5.27 per
AH33: 8 games, 490 yards, 114 carries, avg. 4.3 per.

The RB position in the east was weak this year.

Carey, Logan, and Mills for Calgary all average over 6 yards per.

3rdand1.5

A few head scratchers for sure... Rutledge not positive about, Biggie, don't get me wrong he is one of the best but this was an off year for him, and Harris out of the East from the IR....

pjrocksmb

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 02, 2022, 05:57:48 PM
A few head scratchers for sure... Rutledge not positive about, Biggie, don't get me wrong he is one of the best but this was an off year for him, and Harris out of the East from the IR....
Biggie has a few bad games but otherwise has been good

Rutledge has been very good for a rookie.

Happy to see Rose on the list, a few peps way to hard on him, especially on the GDTs.

What a list of awesome Bombers.  So proud of this club.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 02, 2022, 04:11:26 PM
"The Division All-Stars were selected by the local voting members of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) in their respective division's markets and the National Chapter, as well as their respective division's head coaches."

For Harris to show up as an All-Star means a lot of journalists weren't even paying attention.

It also said this:

Quote.
Fans also took part in this year's selections through the All-Star Fan Vote, powered by the CFL's official data and technology partner, Genius Sports.

I think Bighill, Bryant, and Andrew Harris are all examples of reputation being weighted as much as current year performance.

I think the inclusion of the fans, through the weeks long voting window, also weighted things towards the earlier part of the season.  I voted for Rutledge, and then he was subsequently shuffled off to the PR. 

I think they should be transparent about how each category votes (head coaches, fans and media).  Otherwise these kind of become meaningless.

grab grass 'n growl

blue_or_die

I don't understand the Rutledge situation- not just in the context of all-star nods but overall.

I thought he was awesome all year.

I didn't get why we shuffled him to the PR and assumed he agreed to due to injury or to get another player on.

Others on here were not shocked when he was moved to the PR, saying he "fell off a cliff"  ???

He being an all-star is no surprise to me but seems to be to others (including the Bombers, who moved him to PR)

All of this is super confusing.
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 02, 2022, 08:13:14 PM
I don't understand the Rutledge situation- not just in the context of all-star nods but overall.

I didn't get why we shuffled him to the PR and assumed he agreed to due to injury or to get another player on.

Others on here were not shocked when he was moved to the PR, saying he "fell off a cliff"  ???

He being an all-star is no surprise to me but seems to be to others (including the Bombers, who moved him to PR)

Many imports struggle with the longer CFL season after coming out of US colleges. That was the story that he was physically worn out. It doesn't explain why he wasn't moved to the 1 game IR instead of the PR.

It's not like he'd have a significant contract and if he was injured the team couldn't / wouldn't do that.

Whether he ends up playing in the WDF, I have no idea. If so I'd think he'd be listed as a DI.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Nick Demski was definitely robbed....he's our X-Factor on offence.   Imagine getting Demski, Ellingson, and Woli back with Schoen and Sheed!?  This is one helluva receiving corp and Nick is the straw that stirs the drink on offence!   
Bomber fan for life

The Zipp

According to Jeff Hamilton:

According to multiple sources, the CFL gave teams the wrong list of divisional all-stars and will be sending out a new list. Word is the results were calculated incorrectly and there will be multiple changes to the original. What an embarrassing situation for the CFL. #wfp

Ridermania

Quote from: The Zipp on November 02, 2022, 09:37:08 PM
According to Jeff Hamilton:

According to multiple sources, the CFL gave teams the wrong list of divisional all-stars and will be sending out a new list. Word is the results were calculated incorrectly and there will be multiple changes to the original. What an embarrassing situation for the CFL. #wfp

How does the CFL screw this up? 

The Zipp

The Zipp

Nine Blue #Bombers, not 11 as originally released, made the CFL West all-star team. Removed in the "recount": LB/DB Donald Rutledge, Jr., corner Winston Rose and OL Jermarcus Hardrick. Added: REC Nic Demski.

DCM

POSITION

OFFENCE
QB   McLeod Bethel-Thompson (TOR)   Zach Collaros (WPG)
RB   A.J. Ouellette (TOR)   Ka'Deem Carey (CGY)
REC   Eugene Lewis (MTL)   Dalton Schoen (WPG)
REC   Kurleigh Gittens Jr. (TOR)*   Dominique Rhymes (BC)
REC   Jaelon Acklin (OTT)   Malik Henry (CGY)
REC   Tim White (HAM)   Nic Demski (WPG)*
REC   Steven Dunbar Jr. (HAM)   Kenny Lawler (EDM)
CEN   Justin Lawrence (TOR)*   Sean McEwen (CGY)*
G   Brandon Revenberg (HAM)*   Patrick Neufeld (WPG)*
G   Jacob Ruby (OTT)*   Ryan Sceviour (CGY)*
OT   Dejon Allen (TOR)   Stanley Bryant (WPG)
OT   Landon Rice (MTL)*   Derek Dennis (CGY)

DEFENCE
DE   Lorenzo Mauldin IV (OTT)   Willie Jefferson (WPG)
DE   Julian Howsare (HAM)   Shawn Lemon (CGY)
DT   Micah Johnson (HAM)   Jake Ceresna (EDM)
DT   Shawn Oakman (TOR)   Mike Rose (CGY)
LB   Wynton McManis (TOR)   Adam Bighill (WPG)
LB   Jovan Santos-Knox (HAM)   Cameron Judge (CGY)*
CLB   Kameron Kelly (HAM)   Derrick Moncrief (SSK)
CB   Jamal Peters (TOR)   Garry Peters (BC)
CB   Jumal Rolle (HAM)   Jonathan Moxey (CGY)
HB   Richard Leonard (HAM)   Marcus Sayles (BC)
HB   Wesley Sutton (MTL)   Deatrick Nichols (WPG)
S   Tunde Adeleke (HAM)*   Loucheiz Purifoy (BC)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K   Seth Small (HAM)   Rene Paredes (CGY)*
P   John Haggerty (TOR)^   Cody Grace (CGY)^
ST   Chandler Worthy (MTL)   Janarion Grant (WPG)
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Jesse

He made a few big plays early so us fans think he's awesome. But clearly on plays he's not involved in (where we don't see him on the TV screen) - he must be missing assignments or dogging it an unacceptable amount of the time.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

I'm going to go full Techno on this theory, so bear with me.  Walters probably ain't got much to do after the trade deadline but stare at his loaded roster and worry about who he's going to lose in the off-season.  He knows Rutledge is a keeper, but with all the starters coming back off the I.R. late in the season it really comes down to numbers, and he  can't keep everyone. 

By moving him to the P.R. early on he took the spotlight off him and may be attempting to hide him in the weeds so other teams don't push up his price in F.A. as a potential future starter.  Contract negotiations begin in the spring, Rutledge has few semi-interested suitors but is happy the Bombers are still interested, and Walters nails him down for $85k on a 2 year deal.

Might sound outlandish, but Huff has probably been doing the same thing for years.

Pigskin

I think Rutledge is in his 1st. year of a 2-year contract.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 03, 2022, 02:32:36 AM
I'm going to go full Techno on this theory

Haha, I don't know whether to be happy of offended!  ;D ;D

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 03, 2022, 02:32:36 AM
By moving him to the P.R. early on he took the spotlight off him and may be attempting to hide him in the weeds so other teams don't push up his price in F.A. as a potential future starter.  Contract negotiations begin in the spring, Rutledge has few semi-interested suitors but is happy the Bombers are still interested, and Walters nails him down for $85k on a 2 year deal.

Well, it is possible!  As good a theory as "he's not in shape enough for CFL".

It could also be we're saving him for the WDF.  Move Darby to CB/HB and Rutledge resumes SAM?  The DB choices this year have been incredibly weird and confusing and not at all what most of us would have rostered.  Hope Hall hasn't been hitting that Willie J smoke!!  :o :o

That said, it all has been working out pretty nicely for us.  So no complaints.  When that WDF roster hits I think we'll all be a little surprised/baffled.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

What a slap in the face for Hardrick and Rose.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on November 02, 2022, 09:37:08 PM
According to multiple sources, the CFL gave teams the wrong list of divisional all-stars and will be sending out a new list. Word is the results were calculated incorrectly and there will be multiple changes to the original.

Holy smokes!  Talk about bush league!  How on earth does this happen?  Are they going to investigate and explain or just sweep it under the rug?

So was the wrong list the "we didn't include the fan votes" list, or was it the "we only included the fan votes" list?  Who is it that shafted Demski and liked Rutledge?  My money is on the press voting "wrong" and once they included the fans it corrected the Demski thing.  Even other teams' fans respect/appreciate Demski's play.

You want a "full Tecno", TLB?  Maybe the league put out the "real" list first, saw the uproar across multiple fan forums / media and then corrected what we had already identified as the egregious mistakes (Rutledge/Demski).  It is possible, but my money is on them just not including one side or other of the data.

Hey, do the all-star teams obey the ratio?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

The (original) Rutledge nod might have simply been a case of garbage competition.  I'd be hard pressed to tell you who any West team's SAM is off the top of my head (ok, I probably know SSK's, only because we burned him so badly all year).  Could have been Rutledge was used to be the best of a poor class.

Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: The Zipp on November 02, 2022, 10:51:23 PM
Nine Blue #Bombers, not 11 as originally released, made the CFL West all-star team. Removed in the "recount": LB/DB Donald Rutledge, Jr., corner Winston Rose and OL Jermarcus Hardrick. Added: REC Nic Demski.
I think that's fair as Rose and Hardrick had tough seasons and Rutledge was placed on the PR....Demski was rightfully selected and I'm glad to see they got it right.   Still a little bush league though.....I mean how does that even happen?
Bomber fan for life

ModAdmin

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 03, 2022, 03:39:09 AM
I think that's fair as Rose and Hardrick had tough seasons and Rutledge was placed on the PR....Demski was rightfully selected and I'm glad to see they got it right.   Still a little bush league though.....I mean how does that even happen?

Mind boggling. Embarrassing. Unprofessional.  Hopefully a lesson learned and will never happen again.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 03, 2022, 04:51:55 AM
Mind boggling. Embarrassing. Unprofessional.  Hopefully a lesson learned and will never happen again.

Here's your trophy Rutledge... <yank>  PSYCH!

nya nya na boo boo

-- Ambrosie

(ya, it's not a physical trophy, but it's a good meme)
Never go full Rider!

BBRT

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 03, 2022, 04:51:55 AM

I have to agree - I have and always will be a big CFL supporter (even if I am a yankee) but this is just bush league and someone needs to be held accountable and a strong apology needs to be issued to those that were selected in error or not selected in error by the commissioner. Just plain embarrassing to say the least!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on November 03, 2022, 02:42:10 AM
I think Rutledge is in his 1st. year of a 2-year contract.

If he rides out the year on the PR he is basically cut and that contract is void.

Pigskin

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 03, 2022, 03:20:04 PM
If he rides out the year on the PR he is basically cut and that contract is void.

Yes but most teams re-sign a bunch of players that ended up on the PR at the end of the season. That said, he may opt out of doing that.  However I have no reason to think the Bombers won't try to bring him back. 1st year is usually a learning curve and endurance issue, even for players that end up starting. Year 2 is where we see the real growth for most.

So. If we can retain Schoen, can you imagine how much better he'll be in 2023? Come on back please.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

I could see Rutledge back on the AR for the playoffs. The kid has 58 DT's.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on November 03, 2022, 03:52:00 PM
I could see Rutledge back on the AR for the playoffs. The kid has 58 DT's.
I would expect him to be activated for the playoffs unless something happened behind the scenes we do not know about. With the Kramdi injury you would think it would be an automatic he would return.

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 03, 2022, 04:16:36 PM
I would expect him to be activated for the playoffs unless something happened behind the scenes we do not know about. With the Kramdi injury you would think it would be an automatic he would return.

Have we heard anything more about the injury to Kramdi? While it didn't look serious he may be finished for 2022. That leaves an opening / need for depth at SAM. Demski's return and the need for a different DI probably comes at the cost of McCrae as a DI.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 03, 2022, 03:40:54 PM
Yes but most teams re-sign a bunch of players that ended up on the PR at the end of the season. That said, he may opt out of doing that.  However I have no reason to think the Bombers won't try to bring him back. 1st year is usually a learning curve and endurance issue, even for players that end up starting. Year 2 is where we see the real growth for most.

You're probably right, I believe Kolankowski, Mourtada, and Agudosi were on the PR at the end of last season so it shouldn't be a problem re-signing players they want to keep, unless other teams makes them a better offer.

Of the current PR list it's hard to say who they should bring back as we didn't see most of them play, but I would like to see Rutledge, Lavigne, Lofton and probably Cooper retained.  They must have see something in Cooper to roster him 4 games, although I never once saw him on the field, it could be he was playing ST.

bwiser

Who announced the CFL All Stars Warren Beatty???? The winner of the 2022 Grey Cup LalaLand.

TecnoGenius

Hate to say it, but if Maston looks hopeless, WFC needs to make an effort to retain Darby, Rutgledge or both.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 03, 2022, 09:17:15 PM
Hate to say it, but if Maston looks hopeless, WFC needs to make an effort to retain Darby, Rutgledge or both.

i reserve judgement on those to see how they perform in the playoffs.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 03, 2022, 09:17:15 PM

Just like last year, it?ll be dictated by the salary cap.

Sign the foundational pieces first, then see who can resign and where you need to bring in competition.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

I hope we do not lose Goveia and or Danny Mac! Those would be serious loses.

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 03, 2022, 09:58:25 PM
I hope we do not lose Govia and or Danny Mac! Those would be serious loses.

Goveia should have been gone last year, can?t believe we were able to keep him.

Danny seems like he?s happy where he is? Seems to want to stay in the south.
My wife is amazing!