Rider Purge Starts

Started by Ridermania, November 01, 2022, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 02, 2022, 01:10:02 AM
I respect Dickie #2, he's honest to a fault and he runs the football team as a HC should, he delegates authority to his assistants and expects the locker-room to regulate and police itself, just as O'Shea does.  The Riders major flaw was not purging enough of the bad culture that already existed from the year prior (Marshal, Marino, etc.) and then inviting a street hood like Duke Williams into the mix who was a bad influence on others, put in a half-assed effort, and swindled them out of $250k.

I respect him too but he's too soft for my liking. I don't believe O'Shea would have allowed a Marino or a Williams to contaminate the team. I sense there's a difference in culture between the Riders and the Bombers and I've seen on the field. Rider players disrespect their opponents in a way that the Bombers do not. The Bomber team is ... classy.

For his sake I hope CD learns to be a little tougher on his players while maintaining the other good qualities you've alluded to above. I know for sure that there are Rider fans that see CD as I do. Too soft.
Go Bombers!

BLUEBOMBER

Do I sense a LaPolice and BLM joining forces in Sask soon?

Sec223

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on November 02, 2022, 07:18:21 AM

Not sure either one would help there (couldn't hurt I guess) but that's good for the Bombers LOL

Jesse

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on November 02, 2022, 07:18:21 AM

I don't understand why anyone thinks BLM would go to Sask.

He's not going to go close out his career with a team who just allowed a league-record in sacks.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on November 02, 2022, 11:56:49 AM

He's not going to go close out his career with a team who just allowed a league-record in sacks.

Not many places needing a starting QB or even a good # 2 QB if affordable under the SMS. Free agency on other teams could change that ( musical chairs ). Regina, Edmonton, Ottawa could be looking.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on November 02, 2022, 11:56:49 AM

I agree. And it really doesn't matter who's QB if the O-line is a porous hot mess, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

3rdand1.5

No, no they should spend 600k plus a year on BLM, re-up Duke at 250k plus and go all in on Lawler and try and lock him up at another 300k. Plus those LB's better lock them each up over 200k..... a better QB like BLM and Duke, Lawler, Evans, Moore and with KSB at receiver they wouldn't even need anyone other than Dan Clark along the line. They could save sooo much money along the o-line that way.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 02, 2022, 12:14:51 PM
Not many places needing a starting QB or even a good # 2 QB if affordable under the SMS. Free agency on other teams could change that ( musical chairs ). Regina, Edmonton, Ottawa could be looking.

I don?t think he?d go there even if it was the only option (which it?s not - pretty much all starters suck).

But if it really wasn?t worth it, I?m sure he has his eyes on a post-playing career at this point.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 02, 2022, 03:24:26 PM
I don?t think he?d go there even if it was the only option (which it?s not - pretty much all starters suck).

But if it really wasn?t worth it, I?m sure he has his eyes on a post-playing career at this point.

I would think so too, but I was listening to a Ti-Cat CFL round table podcast yesterday and one journalist said BLM was very close to signing with the Riders the last time he renegotiated his contract. They also mentioned he was looking for a percentage on his jersey sales if he signed with the Riders.  So who knows what he will do with limited options, I think he will end up in Ontario.

DM83

I am sure Bo is going to re-surface as a QB.  Can you say Montreal? or Edmonton?
Lapo is a good coach.  Ottawa was a mess before he got there, and Co-vid disrupted everything.  Massoili getting hurt killed them.
I hated his demeanor  on the field.  I am concerned he is power hungry and a micro-manager.  He buriied himself with no OC.

Other than that he knows his stuff.  Can he be a head coach and communicator?  I am surprised he appears to lack that.  I attended a Bomber practice, and checked out his demeanor on the field.  The guys seemed to be jumping and respondng  like I would have expected.  It's a mystery.

If he gets into a decent situation he could be a genious.

The big take-away for me is don't spend big money on receivers.  DO spend money on O - Linemen.

Duke Williams is a jerk.

theaardvark

Lapo has HC money though next year, he'll be on TSN.

BLM will get a Brinks truck full of cash signing in SSK

Oday and Dick2 will get a chance to play out their contracts as the cap hamstrings those changes.  But there won't be any extensions, that's for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if SSK drafts only Oline next year...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 02, 2022, 03:35:07 PM
I would think so too, but I was listening to a Ti-Cat CFL round table podcast yesterday and one journalist said BLM was very close to signing with the Riders the last time he renegotiated his contract. They also mentioned he was looking for a percentage on his jersey sales if he signed with the Riders.  So who knows what he will do with limited options, I think he will end up in Ontario.

Yeah, that was the year he and Reilly were trying to milk the league for 750+

The Riders look very different now than they did then and he still said no and went to the better situation over the better paycheck.
My wife is amazing!

the paw

I think Khari will take a run at the Ottawa HC job rather than the Rider OC position.  No guarantee he gets it, as I think Dyce, Maas, and Benevides will also be in the hunt for it as well, but I think he tries.

Although there is a logic to Lapo signing on as Rider OC, I think that would be a poor fit if they sign Bo Levi.  Bo made his living and reputation on taking deep shots, and Lapo really only looks deep a few times a game.  I don?t see those two meshing. 
grab grass 'n growl

J5V

Quote from: the paw on November 02, 2022, 08:02:13 PM
I think Khari will take a run at the Ottawa HC job rather than the Rider OC position.  No guarantee he gets it, as I think Dyce, Maas, and Benevides will also be in the hunt for it as well, but I think he tries.

Although there is a logic to Lapo signing on as Rider OC, I think that would be a poor fit if they sign Bo Levi.  Bo made his living and reputation on taking deep shots, and Lapo really only looks deep a few times a game.  I don?t see those two meshing. 

Bad memories for Lapo in Sask. I really don't think he wants to go there. Maybe no one wants to go there.
Go Bombers!

dd

With the O line sask has, no way BLM signs there, he would get absolutely killed. Look what happened to fajardo who is a younger stronger and mobile Qb, the guy was hamburger all year, getting ground up game in and game out. I think BLM stays right where he is