Rider Purge Starts

Started by Ridermania, November 01, 2022, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridermania

Offensive Coordinator Jason Maas has been relieved of his duties. Run Game Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach Stephen Sorrells and Receivers Coach Travis Moore will not have their contracts renewed.

https://www.riderville.com/2022/11/01/riders-announce-changes-to-coaching-staff/

wpg#1

Torches and pitchforks are coming out in regina
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

3rdand1.5

Congrats to Dickie and O-Day for surviving and continuing to coach Saks. in 2023.

I hope that they take the same offseason philosophy on the O-line and QB, and extend Duke  ;)

wpg#1

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 01, 2022, 06:41:53 PM
Congrats to Dickie and O-Day for surviving and continuing to coach Saks. in 2023.

I hope that they take the same offseason philosophy on the O-line and QB, and extend Duke  ;)

:D :D :D
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

BBRT

Quote from: Ridermania on November 01, 2022, 06:10:32 PM
Offensive Coordinator Jason Maas has been relieved of his duties. Run Game Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach Stephen Sorrells and Receivers Coach Travis Moore will not have their contracts renewed.

https://www.riderville.com/2022/11/01/riders-announce-changes-to-coaching-staff/

Maas was a easy cut - likewise Sorrells but not sure about Travis Moore. I sort of feel for Sorrells as he really did not have much to work with. I doubt the purge will go any higher than the coaching staff - but the lesser Dickenson (as he is affectionally referred to by Rider Fans) is probably safe for 2023 as is his boss etc. The problem in 2023 will be bums in the seats unless they land a couple of big names (like BLM etc.).

blue_gold_84

Feeble moves which don't address the roster deficiencies or leadership issues, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

You never like to see anyone lose their job, but this group wasn't working for the Riders.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 01, 2022, 07:27:08 PM
Feeble moves which don't address the roster deficiencies or leadership issues, IMO.
^this
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

J5V

I never thought much of Maas the hothead but I am actually shocked that CD survived. That guy is one of the least inspiring coaches in the league. What a dud. CD would make Lapo look like a riverboat gambler.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on November 01, 2022, 07:36:21 PM
You never like to see anyone lose their job, but this group wasn't working for the Riders.

I like to see bad coaches losing their jobs!  Especially ones named Maas.  And that OL coach of SSK's shouldn't just be fired, he should be ... <insert nasty thoughts here>

Remember in '21 when BC's OL was the worst in the league?  They fired that useless coach mid-season.  It was instantly better.  SSK should have done the same thing.  Look how good BC's OL is now, albeit with the 3 IMP "cheat".  Even MOS "cheated" when we were garbage by playing Bond... maybe SSK should take a page from WPG and BC here.  They have a lot of NAT WR talent, they can adjust the ratio that way.

I guess SSK is doing what it can within the (stupid) limits of the coaches cap.  But riding with JOD and CD is risky from a ticket sales standpoint.  A lot of Greenies are going to say "that isn't enough".

So far it's only token witches being burned.  There will be hell to pay when they announce their 2023 QB is Cody!  ;D ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

dd

You can blame the coaches all you want, but do you think any of their O line could start on any other team?? I don?t, they?re horrible and the #of an sacks and hurried throws was unbelievable . I don?t think Maas is a bad OC, he just had a bad O line. Talent falls on the manager, why is he still around?? And the number of discipline issues was unreal as well. They got rid of Marino and that likely bought Dickenson some time. If they resign duke both o day and Dickie should go

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on November 01, 2022, 11:16:49 PM
You can blame the coaches all you want, but do you think any of their O line could start on any other team?? I don?t, they?re horrible and the #of an sacks and hurried throws was unbelievable . I don?t think Maas is a bad OC, he just had a bad O line. Talent falls on the manager, why is he still around?? And the number of discipline issues was unreal as well. They got rid of Marino and that likely bought Dickenson some time. If they resign duke both o day and Dickie should go

Look at '19-'21 BC.  Arguably the worst OL in the league.  Now it's probably a top-3 OL.  How many OL from '21 are with them in '23?  Chungh and maybe their C?  Others?  Dunno.

My point is SSK will probably prove the same.  They'll keep 2-3 guys who will look stellar in a fully revamped and possibly-3IMP 2023 OL.  Maybe.  If SSK actually shapes up.

And Maas is horrible because he has proven incapable of adjusting his game to what he has.  Look at how much better McAdoo did: he was capable of it.  Maas kept calling the same failing plays that Cody and the OL couldn't execute.  He never stopped.  Then Fine came in and Maas kept calling calls Fine was incapable of.  A good OC would adjust.

I would be shocked if Maas gets a OC job next year.  And I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to name him HC.  I bet Lapo gets an OC/HC job before Maas gets an OC job.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2022, 11:31:56 PM
Look at '19-'21 BC.  Arguably the worst OL in the league.  Now it's probably a top-3 OL.  How many OL from '21 are with them in '23?  Chungh and maybe their C?  Others?  Dunno.

My point is SSK will probably prove the same.  They'll keep 2-3 guys who will look stellar in a fully revamped and possibly-3IMP 2023 OL.  Maybe.  If SSK actually shapes up.

And Maas is horrible because he has proven incapable of adjusting his game to what he has.  Look at how much better McAdoo did: he was capable of it.  Maas kept calling the same failing plays that Cody and the OL couldn't execute.  He never stopped.  Then Fine came in and Maas kept calling calls Fine was incapable of.  A good OC would adjust.

I would be shocked if Maas gets a OC job next year.  And I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to name him HC.  I bet Lapo gets an OC/HC job before Maas gets an OC job.

I feel Maas might be done for next year in the CFL but can see resurfacing in the future. Lapo should be an OC in this league somewhere next year.

I am not a fan of Lapo on TSN last week. I much prefer Naylor or Dunnigan on the panel with Milt and DC.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on November 01, 2022, 10:00:19 PM
I never thought much of Maas the hothead but I am actually shocked that CD survived. That guy is one of the least inspiring coaches in the league. What a dud. CD would make Lapo look like a riverboat gambler.

I respect Dickie #2, he's honest to a fault and he runs the football team as a HC should, he delegates authority to his assistants and expects the locker-room to regulate and police itself, just as O'Shea does.  The Riders major flaw was not purging enough of the bad culture that already existed from the year prior (Marshal, Marino, etc.) and then inviting a street hood like Duke Williams into the mix who was a bad influence on others, put in a half-assed effort, and swindled them out of $250k.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 02, 2022, 01:10:02 AM
I respect Dickie #2, he's honest to a fault and he runs the football team as a HC should, he delegates authority to his assistants and expects the locker-room to regulate and police itself, just as O'Shea does.  The Riders major flaw was not purging enough of the bad culture that already existed from the year prior (Marshal, Marino, etc.) and then inviting a street hood like Duke Williams into the mix who was a bad influence on others, put in a half-assed effort, and swindled them out of $250k.
I can agree with you regarding CD but some his comments in the media leave me shaking my head. This is something MOS never engages in. He spouts this stuff in the media it makes you wonder how good a communicator he is to his troops behind closed doors.