Thomas rejecting Rourke

Started by GOLDMEMBER, October 30, 2022, 12:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree or disagree with the Thomas decision to reject helping Rourke up after a solid tackle

Agree
Disagree

GOLDMEMBER

Reworded. ;D
In my opinion Jake Thomas did the right thing. This is pro ball not fun and games during recess.
If Rourke wants to slap butts after he gets whacked that is his decision. Asking opponents to be helped up is laughable.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Aww, deleting the original thread hosed my very nice reply  :-X :-X :'( :'(
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

There?s no right or wrong here.

It would have been sportsmanlike/classy to help him up.

But it?s a competition and we were clearly sending a message that we are the first place, back to back champs.

I laughed.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 30, 2022, 12:51:40 AM
Aww, deleting the original thread hosed my very nice reply  :-X :-X :'( :'(

Sorry man
My bad

DCM

It's football. You do not help your opponent up off the field.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

dd

Quote from: Jesse on October 30, 2022, 12:53:54 AM
There?s no right or wrong here.

It would have been sportsmanlike/classy to help him up.

But it?s a competition and we were clearly sending a message that we are the first place, back to back champs.

I laughed.
I think there is a right and wrong answer here, you either play the game with class, integrity and respect, or you don't, and depending on your personal set of values, you 'll either agree or disagree with it. The league and society is full of both. You'll either hold the door open for a little old lady or you won't. You'll either let someone in in a traffic jam or you won't. You either have class or you don't. But there most definitely is a right and wrong answer.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 30, 2022, 02:44:36 AM
I think there is a right and wrong answer here, you either play the game with class, integrity and respect, or you don't, and depending on your personal set of values, you 'll either agree or disagree with it. The league and society is full of both. You'll either hold the door open for a little old lady or you won't. You'll either let someone in in a traffic jam or you won't. You either have class or you don't. But there most definitely is a right and wrong answer.

But you don't hold the door open for the old lady when you're in a warzone.  The game is war, especially close to playoffs.  What do you think our D's "darkside" thing is about?  It's a mindset, and you don't switch it off until the game is over.

Maybe Fatboi went to Rourke post-game and said "nothing personal" and had a shake, for all we know.
Never go full Rider!

Horseman

I will restate what I said earlier, you don't put all of your energy and sweat into knocking your opponent down and then help him up. Let him use his own effort to pick himself up off the ground, let him tire himself out during the game picking himself off the turf. When one of our players gets tackled, one of the other Bombers comes over to help them up immediately. As a player you don't look for an opposing player to help you up.

Sec223

I remember when Baron Simpson signed here. I asked if he would ever help an opposing player up "never" !!

ModAdmin

You can shake hands before the game and you can shake hands after the game.  During the game you do everything possible, within the rules, to defeat your opponent.  What you don't do is help someone up, during the heat of the battle, after nailing him to the turf.  It's a physical game - a battle.  And, like it or not, it's about winning for your team and defeating the other team, again, within the rules.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Teams spend the entire game trying to knock the QB to the ground, not pick them up. :)
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: dd on October 30, 2022, 02:44:36 AM

Neutrality exists too.

Jake didn't make an effort to be classy, but he certainly didn't do anything wrong that I would call classless.

Just teaching the kid a lesson.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on October 30, 2022, 12:35:29 PM
Neutrality exists too.

Jake didn't make an effort to be classy, but he certainly didn't do anything wrong that I would call classless.

Just teaching the kid a lesson.
this ^ as well. It has been recent years the odd opposing player was helping an opponent up, ever. So I guess dd is saying North American football is a complete classless sport only until recent times?

TBURGESS

Classless act IMO, but nothing to see here. Lots of classless football players.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

dd

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 30, 2022, 01:59:24 PM
Exactly Tburg. Society and sport have people who have class and integrity and those that don?t. Just a sad fact of life. Those are those you will do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing and those who say if you aren?t cheating you aren?t trying hard enough. What a sad statement that is. And spare me the war zone BS. This game was a glorified pre season game that had no impact whatsoever on the standings. Class, you either have it or you don?t. No biggy either way, it?s just the way it is

PurpleReign

Sorry he should not have done that. Really looks bad on him. Football is a war but class is class. I know Nathan personally, and he is a heck of nice guy if you really knew him.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 30, 2022, 01:59:24 PM
Do you really think Chris Walby, the greatest Bomber O-lineman ever,  helped an opponent up off the field after violently knocking them to the ground?   I thought it was kind of cheeky for Rourke to even put his hand out for a hand up and he smiled when JT refused the offer. 

Calling JT's refusal "classless" is a stretch and somewhat reactionary on your part.   
Bomber fan for life

BBRT

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 30, 2022, 03:52:43 PM
Do you really think Chris Walby, the greatest Bomber O-lineman ever,  helped an opponent up off the field after violently knocking them to the ground?   I thought it was kind of cheeky for Rourke to even put his hand out for a hand up and he smiled when JT refused the offer. 

Calling JT's refusal "classless" is a stretch and somewhat reactionary on your part.   

Amen! Well said. JT did what any good player should do  - play within the rules of the game, play fair and play as hard as you can. Mind the rules but at the end of day this is not a garden party. Shake hands when it is over but until then your opposition is not your friend nor team mate - anyone how thinks otherwise just has never put on the pads.

GOLDMEMBER

You are the best Linc. It was a cheeky move no question to even ask and Rourke knew it. To Thomas classless is way over the top label to put on that action. Jake Thomas is just as a nice guy as precious Rourke. I met him several times and he has always been more than accommodating.

wpg#1

Agree 100%
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Sergio105

I agree with Linc Loco that "it was kind of cheeky for Rourke to even put his hand out for a hand up and he smiled when JT refused the offer." This put JT on the spot. There have been other incidents where a player put out a hand to help an opponent up and had his hand slapped away while the downed player waited for a teammate to help him up. The operative word here is OPPONENT and class has nothing to do with the situation. If anyone lacked class here, it was Rourke, hopefully innocently. He is a rookie, after all. 
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

J5V

The kid will learn not to ask for a helping hand up from the opposition. If that was Zach, and a BC lineman offered him a hand up after knocking him down, Zach would have waved him off! LOL!
Go Bombers!

NewBlue

How can anyone say Jake was disrespectful/classless for that?  It was a silly request by Rourke, and Jake owed him nothing.

3 years down the road, maybe Rourke earns that respect.

Sir Blue and Gold

Hahaha this thread is hilarious.

VictorRomano

Jake didn't do anything wrong.  This is serious business, and he set a tone.  Sometimes the key to defeating your opponent is not to break his body, but to break his will to compete.  You don't need to smash his (and your) body for 60 minutes if you can make him quit in 30.....

J5V

Quote from: VictorRomano on October 30, 2022, 06:14:58 PM
You don't need to smash his (and your) body for 60 minutes if you can make him quit in 30.....

Agreed and that is exactly what happened. BC wanted nothing more to do with us and you could sense that the Bombers had ratcheted up the intensity for this one. Message sent. Both BC and Calgary know that if they make it to the WF they will have their hands full with this Bomber team.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 30, 2022, 08:04:59 PM
Agreed and that is exactly what happened. BC wanted nothing more to do with us and you could sense that the Bombers had ratcheted up the intensity for this one. Message sent. Both BC and Calgary know that if they make it to the WF they will have their hands full with this Bomber team.

Quote from: dd on October 30, 2022, 02:14:01 PM
And spare me the war zone BS. This game was a glorified pre season game that had no impact whatsoever on the standings. Class, you either have it or you don?t. No biggy either way, it?s just the way it is

Listen to J5V.  This wasn't a nothing game.  Both teams wanted to send a message and set the tone going into the playoffs.  Both wanted to win.  This game was very important from a psychological perspective.

BC's morale and momentum has been greatly weakened by their limp, sad-sack showing.  If CGY was the favorite before, they are the ultra-favorite now.  I don't see how BC can even make a fight of it now.  On the flip side, if BC had dominated WPG, the GC champs, and rubbed their noses in the turf, and Rourke showed like a superstar, then CGY would be the ones fearing going into BC Place against a hot team.

dd: You seem too preoccupied on the immediate effects.  You need to think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects.  Ya, I'm like you in that when I saw Fatboi disrespect Rourke live at that exact second I though "what a douche", about Fatboi.  But then I thought it through, and recognized the mindset realized all the 2nd order effects.  That's why I'm cool with it now.

And neither of us ever played high-level football, so sure, we can't fully understand the "war" vibes; but I've listened to enough interviews from greats (like Biggie), to understand that when these guys are playing it is war.  And I listen when they say that their team mates are like a "band of brothers".  Go watch that mini-series to find out what shared trials and tribulations and battles do to a small group of men.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

It used to be something you'd see once in a while but sportsmanship like that is long gone from pro sports. I think we are lacking context, I am sure words were passed first and we'll never know what.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 30, 2022, 02:14:01 PM
those who say if you aren?t cheating you aren?t trying hard enough. What a sad statement that is.

No one here has said anything about "cheating".  This isn't about cheating.  I don't advocate cheating, even when (say) SSK is getting away with holding murder all of '19 and '21.  They got their karma comeuppance in 2022.

What Fatboi said has nothing to do with cheating.  Domination and even humiliation has nothing to do with cheating.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 30, 2022, 05:14:03 AM
What you don't do is help someone up, during the heat of the battle, after nailing him to the turf.  It's a physical game - a battle.  And, like it or not, it's about winning for your team and defeating the other team, again, within the rules.

Slightly related but unrelated:

There have been a couple of guys, QBs mostly, that, in the past, have helped up the opponents (offering before requested).  Mike Reilly comes to mind.  He would pat guys on the butt and compliment them on their great hit or sack on him.

I always wondered about the psychology of that.  I wonder if they were making a great reverse-psychology play there.  In certain instances you might be able to slightly defuse attackers' "kill kill kill" mindset with mind tricks like that.  How can you want to kill someone as affable and tough as Mike Reilly?  You hit him hard once and he helps you up and compliments you, are you going to hit him harder next time??
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on October 30, 2022, 08:37:52 PM
It used to be something you'd see once in a while but sportsmanship like that is long gone from pro sports. I think we are lacking context, I am sure words were passed first and we'll never know what.

I watch every CFL game.  Just yesterday there were at least 2-3 instances in the other games of team A guy helping up a team B guy.  It happens nearly every game.  But it depends on the player, and team, and game situation.

Also, when it does happen it's almost always the standing guy offering to the turfed guy.  The Rourke-asking situation was somewhat unique.

I mentioned in the deleted thread (I think) that I once saw a WPG player help another guy off the turf and he got chewed out by MOS or another player (don't remember).  Basically told: you don't help the other team up.  It's very clear this has been the WPG mindset for a long time and I can't recall the last time we helped team B off their butt.  I think CGY insists on this too.  And look who the winningest teams over the last 5 years are...
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Tecno, I agree with you.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 30, 2022, 08:52:44 PM
Also, when it does happen it's almost always the standing guy offering to the turfed guy.  The Rourke-asking situation was somewhat unique.
This is why I think it's part of bigger exchange, preceded by some kind of ribbing or trash talk and what we saw was just the final exchange.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Perfect observation.  If Thomas offers Rourke his hand up, that's one thing, and if Rourke accepts it from the enemy, that's again fine.

But for Rourke to ask the enemy for a hand up, he deserved to be dissed.  Properly disrespected.  Its not tiddlywinks, its professional football, and the teams are in an adversarial situation. 

The saddest thing, he was helped up by a receiver.  No olineman to be seen in the frame.  The reason Rourke was on his back, on the turf, was because his oline let him down.

Again, the visual was hilarious.  I was at the game, but did not see it until watching it on the PVR later.  Just about pee'd myself laughing.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 30, 2022, 08:52:44 PM
I watch every CFL game.  Just yesterday there were at least 2-3 instances in the other games of team A guy helping up a team B guy.  It happens nearly every game.  But it depends on the player, and team, and game situation.

I mentioned in the deleted thread (I think) that I once saw a WPG player help another guy off the turf and he got chewed out by MOS or another player (don't remember).  Basically told: you don't help the other team up.  It's very clear this has been the WPG mindset for a long time and I can't recall the last time we helped team B off their butt.  I think CGY insists on this too.  And look who the winningest teams over the last 5 years are...

You're right, other teams help eachother up all the time. Couldn't care less who the other teams are that don't do it, its still a classless act to reject someone, it just is, and if people can't get that, then JT isn't the only one lacking class. You either have it or you don't and its obvious, there's alot that don't.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on October 31, 2022, 01:24:40 AM
You're right, other teams help eachother up all the time. Couldn't care less who the other teams are that don't do it, its still a classless act to reject someone, it just is, and if people can't get that, then JT isn't the only one lacking class. You either have it or you don't and its obvious, there's alot that don't.
So Chris Walby, Ty Jones, James West, Barron Simpson, Taylor Loffler, etc, etc, etc has no class either?

Come on man you are forgetting this is professional football! As Ardsy put it, a very hostile competitor no less.

Rourke knew it was a tall ask. He LAUGHED IT OFF as he knew it was not gonna happen.

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!- Jack

lol just kidding but you must recant your ?classless? badge. It is Fatboi the most clean defensive lineman we have on this roster! Lol

dd

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 31, 2022, 01:35:14 AM
So Chris Walby, Ty Jones, James West, Barron Simpson, Taylor Loffler, etc, etc, etc has no class either?

Come on man you are forgetting this is professional football! As Ardsy put it, a very hostile competitor no less.

Rourke knew it was a tall ask. He LAUGHED IT OFF as he knew it was not gonna happen.

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!- Jack

lol just kidding but you must recant your ?classless? badge. It is Fatboi the most clean defensive lineman we have on this roster! Lol
I distinctly remember ty jones helping Tracey ham up after he sacked him and thought man ty s a classy dude. Smokes Tracey then helps him up. That?s the way the game should be played. You knock the crap out of each other but you still respect one another guy.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 31, 2022, 02:34:57 AM
I distinctly remember ty jones helping Tracey ham up after he sacked him and thought man ty s a classy dude. Smokes Tracey then helps him up. That?s the way the game should be played. You knock the crap out of each other but you still respect one another guy.

And if your coach or team mates chew you out for it after?  You do it again?  Team comes first.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Fair enough but to call it classless is the wrong word. Was it impolite sure but not classless. You do know what kind of player Thomas has exhibited during his entire career do you not?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 31, 2022, 02:36:17 AM
And if your coach or team mates chew you out for it after?  You do it again?  Team comes first.
I do not know if MOS instructs but if he does I guessing might be at a cross roads if dd likes the Blue Bombers still?  No way you do that again if coach says so.

blue_gold_84

Thomas has no obligation to an opponent he just turfed.

The end.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TBURGESS

Classless is the right work. Classy players help their opponent up then smack them around on the next play. Classy players help other teams players up all the time.

It's always a laugh when folks ask for peoples opinion then get upset when it doesn't match their own opinion. 

buckzumhoff

I dont remember anyone helping our qbs up.  And otger qbs like masoli. No one came to help him .

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 31, 2022, 01:23:51 PM
It's always a laugh when folks ask for peoples opinion then get upset when it doesn't match their own opinion. 

Oh, man. The richness. :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Classless is the right work. Classy players help their opponent up then smack them around on the next play. Classy players help other teams players up all the time.

We can disagree without getting upset bud.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on October 31, 2022, 02:15:45 PM
We can disagree without getting upset bud.

Exactly right. And looking through the thread, nobody got upset.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Tee42

Watching the game with a mixed bunch of sports fans, male, female, hockey, football, basketball etc... all agreed, don't help him up.

He sent the right message.

Lincoln Locomotive

Ironic that "classless" is the word you chose and yet refer to it as the right "work".   I don't normally go after obvious spelling errors however in this case I'll make an exception!   
Bomber fan for life

Norm W

LOL...  I love that this has garnered 4 pages of banter, haven't read it all yet... popcorn hasn't finished popping.

In my books it falls into the category of gamesmanship, getting into his head... its no different than putting your hand out to shake somebody's hand and at the last second running your hand through your hair instead or walking right past them to grab the hand of the guy behind him, it's just a message that we are not that friendly at the moment. 

I have a hard time swallowing this is being construed as being unsportsmanlike, there was zero malice being conveyed, it was pure comic effect. Seems only the woke fans are getting butt hurt by this?     
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

GOLDMEMBER

No one is upset including me. But you are off base once again is all. I already explained in depth why.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 31, 2022, 04:21:36 PM
No one is upset including me. But you are off base once again is all. I already explained in depth why.
Yeah...exactly
Bomber fan for life

blue_or_die

Quote from: Norm W on October 31, 2022, 03:46:10 PM
LOL...  I love that this has garnered 4 pages of banter, haven't read it all yet... popcorn hasn't finished popping.

In my books it falls into the category of gamesmanship, getting into his head... its no different than putting your hand out to shake somebody's hand and at the last second running your hand through your hair instead or walking right past them to grab the hand of the guy behind him, it's just a message that we are not that friendly at the moment. 

I have a hard time swallowing this is being construed as being unsportsmanlike, there was zero malice being conveyed, it was pure comic effect. Seems only the woke fans are getting butt hurt by this?     

Yep, TBurg and dd are by far the most woke on this board
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Norm W on October 31, 2022, 03:46:10 PM

Slow clap with a fine whiskey in hand. :)

DM83

Wow!  These bye weeks are killers.

Do either of those two guys really care about helping or not helping an opponent up?

I don't think I would expect Thomas or any opponent to help me up.
It's kind of presumptuous (what a stupid word, no clue on spelling) (lol)

Rourke shouldn't be respected.  He's a second year player.  He's  had six good games.  Thomas has played and started for TEN years.
I would think there is the fact that in Thomas's view, the punk doesn't deserve to be helped up.!!!

I also bet, before or during the next game, Thomas will go over, and apologize, and offer warm wishes, and jokingly warn Rourke, that he, Jake. Thomas will be  coming again. And  meanwhile, Rourke probably has no memory of being snubbed.

Both guys have bigger  fish to fry, with the Cup on the line.

wpg#1

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 31, 2022, 05:15:10 PM
Slow clap with a fine whiskey in hand. :)

that's not good, you might spill that fine whiskey !
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: wpg#1 on October 31, 2022, 07:47:02 PM
that's not good, you might spill that fine whiskey !
haha I have a nice table to place it on, do not worry wpg. ;)

TBURGESS

Folks that disagree with others opinions aren't butt hurt or upset or even woke.

Classy players help other players up. Classless players don't.

Not helping a player up doesn't get into his head & it's not gamesmanship.

Do I particularly care? Nope & if you read my first post you'd know that.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

NewBlue

Classy people don't call others classless  :P

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 31, 2022, 08:21:45 PM
Folks that disagree with others opinions aren't butt hurt or upset or even woke.

Classy players help other players up. Classless players don't.

Not helping a player up doesn't get into his head & it's not gamesmanship.

Do I particularly care? Nope & if you read my first post you'd know that.

No, judging by your posts you care. You most certainly care.

Donny C

Me? I loved it, and I'll say it louder for the people in the back....I LOVED IT!

Why?

The Bombers were playing tough and sending a message all game long with their hits.

Many, many times in a CFL season you see a player from one team not help up a player from the other team...they just walk away and let that player's teammates help them.

Why is this play getting more comments than other times?

Here's why, Thomas did not just walk away, he kind of waved him off.

Again, I love it!

This is a possible Western Final matchup. Rourke was hearing footsteps and seeing ghosts. BC receivers and running backs were getting smacked in the mouth. BC Defenders were getting run over!

Big brother (Winnipeg) spanked little brother (BC) all night long. Thomas not helping Rourke up is part of sending that message. The "Canadian Kid," and I reminded him all game long he was a kid playing a man's game, is going to have to fight his own mind if BC gets past Calgary.

If you disagree, that's fine. But I will say up front, I an not getting into a back-and-forth.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on October 31, 2022, 11:50:57 PM
Me? I loved it, and I'll say it louder for the people in the back....I LOVED IT!

Why?

The Bombers were playing tough and sending a message all game long with their hits.

Many, many times in a CFL season you see a player from one team not help up a player from the other team...they just walk away and let that player's teammates help them.

Why is this play getting more comments than other times?

Here's why, Thomas did not just walk away, he kind of waved him off.

Again, I love it!

This is a possible Western Final matchup. Rourke was hearing footsteps and seeing ghosts. BC receivers and running backs were getting smacked in the mouth. BC Defenders were getting run over!

Big brother (Winnipeg) spanked little brother (BC) all night long. Thomas not helping Rourke up is part of sending that message. The "Canadian Kid," and I reminded him all game long he was a kid playing a man's game, is going to have to fight his own mind if BC gets past Calgary.

If you disagree, that's fine. But I will say up front, I an not getting into a back-and-forth.
whoop whoop love that explanation!

dd

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 31, 2022, 04:57:11 PM
Yep, TBurg and dd are by far the most woke on this board
Not even sure what woke is but I really couldn?t give a rip what others say

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on November 01, 2022, 01:01:01 AM
Not even sure what woke is but I really couldn?t give a rip what others say
No problem dd you are a true blue bomber hardcore fan so that is what really matters but it appears you do care what others say. All good! You and TBurg can go on a bro date so if one falls the other can make the classy move. ;)

TecnoGenius

Hey, does it matter who the player is that Jake is snubbing?  What if the exact same thing happened and it was Simoni or Marino instead of Rourke?  Would some people still be upset?

Maybe people are being slightly biased because Rourke a) is young ("just a kid"), b) looks young/handsome (at least my wife says so), c) is a wunderkind, d) is apparently everyone's new pick for future superstar, d) is Canadian.

Would this thread even exist if Rourke was Simoni?  How much of this is just feeling bad for "the kid"?
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Said it before and I'll say it again.  You can shake hands before and after the game but in the midst of a game, you battle, you fight to win, you defeat your opponent. If you don't have that mentality you likely lose.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

jdrattops

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 30, 2022, 05:54:24 PM
Hahaha this thread is hilarious.

Sure is, it's not like he stood over and spit on him.  Nothing to do with being "classy" or "classless", just a couple guys playing football.

jdrattops

jdrattops

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 01, 2022, 01:38:20 AM
No problem dd you are a true blue bomber hardcore fan so that is what really matters but it appears you do care what others say. All good! You and TBurg can go on a bro date so if one falls the other can make the classy move. ;)

LMFAO

DM83

TBURGESS

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2022, 03:11:44 AM
Hey, does it matter who the player is that Jake is snubbing?  What if the exact same thing happened and it was Simoni or Marino instead of Rourke?  Would some people still be upset?

Maybe people are being slightly biased because Rourke a) is young ("just a kid"), b) looks young/handsome (at least my wife says so), c) is a wunderkind, d) is apparently everyone's new pick for future superstar, d) is Canadian.

Would this thread even exist if Rourke was Simoni?  How much of this is just feeling bad for "the kid"?

Nope, it doesn't matter who it is. Nope, not feeling bad for the 'the kid'. Nope, it doesn't matter that it was a Bomber. Classless is classless.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 01, 2022, 01:52:58 PM
Nope, it doesn't matter who it is. Nope, not feeling bad for the 'the kid'. Nope, it doesn't matter that it was a Bomber. Classless is classless.

Breaking news: Forum contrarian finds yet another topic he can successfully differ from most others' views.
Byline: Watch as he presents opinions as facts.
Pull quote: Like I said before, Mike O'Shea is not a good coach.

Every article is the same! Every article is different! It's all free right here on the Blue Bombers forum! So Edgy. So fresh!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 01, 2022, 01:52:58 PM

I thought you claimed not to care.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

Quote from: Waffler on October 30, 2022, 08:37:52 PM
It used to be something you'd see once in a while but sportsmanship like that is long gone from pro sports.
I think the opposite is true. Seem to me helping up an opponent happens more often now then it did in say the 80s. I think a lot more players are friends off the field now, and with the increased roster turnover in pretty much all pro sports more guys have played together at some point.

Horseman

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 01, 2022, 01:38:20 AM

Priceless...slow clap.

BBRT

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 01, 2022, 05:30:52 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again.  You can shake hands before and after the game but in the midst of a game, you battle, you fight to win, you defeat your opponent. If you don't have that mentality you likely lose.

And this is all true and my last comment on this little tempest! Play Fair, Play Hard, Play to Win - shake hands when it is over but until then the guys on the other team are not your friends! End of Discussion.

GOLDMEMBER

jdrattops

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 01, 2022, 05:03:58 PM
Woohoo 6 pages and counting? :D

Not much to talk about I guess, you know with the bye week and all.  I can see this thread hitting double digits.

TBURGESS

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 01, 2022, 02:01:09 PM
Breaking news: Forum contrarian finds yet another topic he can successfully differ from most others' views.
Byline: Watch as he presents opinions as facts.
Pull quote: Like I said before, Mike O'Shea is not a good coach.

Every article is the same! Every article is different! It's all free right here on the Blue Bombers forum! So Edgy. So fresh!
Breaking news..  Blue coloured glasses wearing forum members attack all those who disagree with them. Call them Woke (meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination", HUH?), edgy (Daring, provocative, or trend-setting, HUH?). Saying we're upset for simply answering the question (HUH?) when it's them who are actually upset that other folks disagree with them.
Byline: Trumpishly state their opinion as facts, then accuse the other side of doing it.

Question asked. I answered. Techno asked another question. I answered it too. Should be the end of it. But noooo, I don't agree with a couple of folks so they have to 'put me in my place'. Yawn.

3rdand1.5

6 pages and counting for an opinion.....everyone has an opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. An opinion is just that an opinion, it's not fact or final. Arguing about an opinion does not make one more correct that the other.

If in some people's opinion Thomas not helping Rourke up was correct, that's great keep believing that

If in some people's opinion Thomas not helping Rourke up was wrong, that's great keep believing that

Both opinions have valid reasons behind them, and both are correct to the individual believing they are. Realize that differing opinions are ok, move on and don't be so stubborn to believe that somehow you need to change someone else's

blue_gold_84

Anybody else want popcorn? :D

I'm just here to witness the entertainment of The Man Who Claimed He Doesn't Care.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

3rdand1.5 is right, it's all good on all sides.  Good arguments.  And I can see where TB is coming from and for about 3s when it happened I agreed with him.

Hey, maybe someone should ask the players or MOS.  Did anyone bring it up in the coaches show?  Great question to ask for next week if not.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2022, 11:23:29 PM
3rdand1.5 is right, it's all good on all sides.  Good arguments.  And I can see where TB is coming from and for about 3s when it happened I agreed with him.

Hey, maybe someone should ask the players or MOS.  Did anyone bring it up in the coaches show?  Great question to ask for next week if not.

Absolutely that would be a great question to ask MOS. I would be fascinated by his response. Anyone witnesses it please put it up here!

Donny C

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 01, 2022, 06:51:53 PM
6 pages and counting for an opinion.....everyone has an opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. An opinion is just that an opinion, it's not fact or final. Arguing about an opinion does not make one more correct that the other.

If in some people's opinion Thomas not helping Rourke up was correct, that's great keep believing that

If in some people's opinion Thomas not helping Rourke up was wrong, that's great keep believing that

Both opinions have valid reasons behind them, and both are correct to the individual believing they are. Realize that differing opinions are ok, move on and don't be so stubborn to believe that somehow you need to change someone else's

HOLD ON!

You get that this is the internet right?

I take it you do not internet that much with such a thoughtful post.

Newb.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on November 01, 2022, 11:53:02 PM
HOLD ON!

You get that this is the internet right?

I take it you do not internet that much with such a thoughtful post.

Newb.
well if he is a newb you sure as heck are  :D view posting numbers on here.

dd

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 01, 2022, 06:08:57 PM
Breaking news..  Blue coloured glasses wearing forum members attack all those who disagree with them. Call them Woke (meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination", HUH?), edgy (Daring, provocative, or trend-setting, HUH?). Saying we're upset for simply answering the question (HUH?) when it's them who are actually upset that other folks disagree with them.
Byline: Trumpishly state their opinion as facts, then accuse the other side of doing it.

Question asked. I answered. Techno asked another question. I answered it too. Should be the end of it. But noooo, I don't agree with a couple of folks so they have to 'put me in my place'. Yawn.

Like I said, class?you either have it or you don?t. Apparently a lot don?t

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on November 02, 2022, 12:44:37 AM
Like I said, class?you either have it or you don?t. Apparently a lot don?t
LMAO

You should seriously consider dumping football viewership. You do not understand football culture. Frankly I am surprised you care about the Blue Bombers and CFL in general. It is gridiron war out there. Does not sound like your thing. Just a suggestion.

I suppose those bones crushing hits by our secondary in the last game were classless as well. There were a few super violent hits, like lucky the recipients were not knocked for year type contact. Were those classless as well?

J5V

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 02, 2022, 01:50:56 AM
I suppose those bones crushing hits by our secondary in the last game were classless as well. There were a few super violent hits, like lucky the recipients were not knocked for year type contact. Were those classless as well?

You make a very good point here. Someone should ask Lucky Whitehead or Brandon Banks how much they enjoy playing against this secondary.
Go Bombers!

ModAdmin

LMAO

You should seriously consider dumping football viewership. You do not understand football culture. Frankly I am surprised you care about the Blue Bombers and CFL in general. It is gridiron war out there. Does not sound like your thing. Just a suggestion.

This is very good point.  Most of these "crushing hits" are usually celebrated resoundingly by the tackler and most of his teammates while the recipient of the hit limps off the field.  Nobody seems to complain very loudly about these incidents.

TBURGESS

Crushing hits. Love em as long as they are clean. Dirty hits = classless.

Football isn't a war. It's a kids game played by men. In war, the other side is literally trying to kill you in any way possible. No one waits for the other side to get ready, line up, call plays, stop get up and do it again. In war, everyone would be dead before they got to the LOS. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 02, 2022, 12:55:41 PM
Crushing hits. Love em as long as they are clean. Dirty hits = classless.

Football isn't a war. It's a kids game played by men. In war, the other side is literally trying to kill you in any way possible. No one waits for the other side to get ready, line up, call plays, stop get up and do it again. In war, everyone would be dead before they got to the LOS. 
lol, I am done with you. You do not get it. You twisted my post in your own strange way. Good for you. I pity you.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

I did not say war, I said gridiron war in a metaphorical sense. It is just Tburg reaching for his own world truth again. I guess I need to spell that out for some.

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

I wonder what Mike O'Shea would have done in his playing days if a QB he just steamrolled asked for a hand up.
Probably would have lifted him half way up then dropped him on his *** again  ;D

blue_gold_84

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 02, 2022, 01:10:56 PM
I did not say war, I said gridiron war in a metaphorical sense. It is just Tburg reaching for his own world truth again. I guess I need to spell that out for some.

I'm mocking him, not you. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on November 02, 2022, 01:34:21 PM
I wonder what Mike O'Shea would have done in his playing days if a QB he just steamrolled asked for a hand up.
Probably would have lifted him half way up then dropped him on his *** again  ;D
:D

TBURGESS

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 02, 2022, 01:07:02 PM
lol, I am done with you. You do not get it. You twisted my post in your own strange way. Good for you. I pity you.
It's not that I don't get it. It's that I don't agree with you.

You're arguing everything except the play in question.

You're equating things that aren't equal. War not = Football even in a metaphoric way. Crushing hit Not = Not helping a player up after the play is over.

Classless folks think there is nothing wrong with classless acts. If you see yourself in this statement, then maybe you are one of the classless folks.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 02, 2022, 02:58:23 PM
It's not that I don't get it. It's that I don't agree with you.

You're arguing everything except the play in question.

You're equating things that aren't equal. War not = Football even in a metaphoric way. Crushing hit Not = Not helping a player up after the play is over.

Classless folks think there is nothing wrong with classless acts. If you see yourself in this statement, then maybe you are one of the classless folks.
I have a feeling that we are not the only ones in your life you struggle with. The play is question was not classless. Also to make personal jabs goes against the code of conduct.

Why do yo even like the Blue Bombers? You think the coach is trash and we have classless players according to you.

theaardvark

Again, it all comes down to who is offering/asking.

Its one thing to blow up a QB, and feeling sorry for him, extending a hand to help him up.

Its a completely different thing to mow down a QB, and when walking back past him, have him wave his hand at you to help him up.

I was embarrassed for Rourke by his ask, and was elated at Thomas for the wave off.  Not just that he waved it off, but the manner in which he did it.  He didn't just leave Rourke hanging, no, he actively said "Nope".  And then Rourke had to wait for a WR to come get him.  His Oline no where to be seen.

Now, I could see someone like Chungh taking Thomas on for that dis, if he had been anywhere near.  But I guess he was on his butt too, possibly thanks to Thomas.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

J5V

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on November 02, 2022, 01:34:21 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha
Go Bombers!

dd

LMAO

Goldie, I have played, coached and reffed football since 1973, likely long long before you were born. Back in the 70 s men played the game and it was mega violent, so spare me the lecture. Guarantee you I ve given and received more violent hits, had more concussions and fought opponents (I played both hockey and lacrosse as well, so know very well what a real fight is!!!)more than you ever did or will. Given the chance, I d gladly kick your butt, but I?d do it fairly, clean and within the rules, if you were down and out, I?d leave you be, not flail away like cowards nowadays do, and if after smoking you you reached out for a hand up, I?d gladly help you to your feet so I could kick the crap out of you again. I played the game with honour and integrity, something punks nowadays know nothing about. You guys have never had a real fight in your life. Spare me the jibber jabber.

TBURGESS

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 02, 2022, 03:25:23 PM
I have a feeling that we are not the only ones in your life you struggle with. The play is question was not classless. Also to make personal jabs goes against the code of conduct.

Why do yo even like the Blue Bombers? You think the coach is trash and we have classless players according to you.
I'm not struggling. I'm not the one who took it personally or took it to personal jabs. I am responding in kind.

I've followed the Bombers for 55+ years. They are my team thru and thru.

It took MOS 6 years to get to the point he is right now. He wouldn't have done it without the Collaros trade which elevated us from mid-tier to the best team in the league from the day he started his first game. That doesn't mean that MOS is trash, but he wasn't very good for a lot of years and he's the only CFL HC who got a 3rd year after missing the playoffs for the first two years, who actually turned the team around.

None of the above has anything to do with this weeks argument. That's about you whining about my opinion then bringing in a bunch of things that don't have anything to do with my opinion on the single play.
You don't understand football. Sure we do.
LMAO. Back attacha.
Other guys have done the same thing. Doesn't make it right.
I can't imagine Bomber greats helping someone up. What's you imagination got to do with anything & if they did refuse to help someone up, I'd call them classless too.
It's the same as a big hit. NO it's not.
You aren't a fan. YES I am.
You think MOS is trash. Not really, but has nothing to do with the play.
MOS wouldn't help someone up. I think he would, but if he didn't that would be a classless play.

ModAdmin

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 02, 2022, 11:20:10 PM
I'm not struggling. I'm not the one who took it personally or took it to personal jabs. I am responding in kind.

I've followed the Bombers for 55+ years. They are my team thru and thru.

It took MOS 6 years to get to the point he is right now. He wouldn't have done it without the Collaros trade which elevated us from mid-tier to the best team in the league from the day he started his first game. That doesn't mean that MOS is trash, but he wasn't very good for a lot of years and he's the only CFL HC who got a 3rd year after missing the playoffs for the first two years, who actually turned the team around.

None of the above has anything to do with this weeks argument. That's about you whining about my opinion then bringing in a bunch of things that don't have anything to do with my opinion on the single play.
You don't understand football. Sure we do.
LMAO. Back attacha.
Other guys have done the same thing. Doesn't make it right.
I can't imagine Bomber greats helping someone up. What's you imagination got to do with anything & if they did refuse to help someone up, I'd call them classless too.
It's the same as a big hit. NO it's not.
You aren't a fan. YES I am.
You think MOS is trash. Not really, but has nothing to do with the play.
MOS wouldn't help someone up. I think he would, but if he didn't that would be a classless play.

TB I think there is a point here you are missing.

1.  Yes, Thomas refused to help Rouke back up to his feet.  That followed Thomas' tackle on Rourke.

2.  No, it not the "big hit" that's the issue (see your bolded statement above).  It's the celebrations following the "big hit" by players and team that made the "big hit".

To suggest the outcomes of 1. and 2. are somehow different in terms of respect is simply ludicrous.

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 02, 2022, 12:08:08 AM
well if he is a newb you sure as heck are  :D view posting numbers on here.

Newb on the internet if he is polite and logical - and of course it was sarcasm.

J5V

You play the game to win the game. If your opponent edges you out on the final play of the game because he had just a little more energy than you did and you lose the game, are you supposed to console yourself by thinking "I lost the game because I expended too much energy but I played with class by helping my opponent win so that's okay"? Nonsense.
Helping an opposing player up off the ground uses energy you may wish you had later in the game. In football you want to wear down your opponent, not wear down your self.

Why would you expend energy helping your opponent and cheating your self, your teammates, and your fans? Makes no sense. It's a matter of strategy.
Go Bombers!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on November 02, 2022, 11:10:11 PM
Goldie, I have played, coached and reffed football since 1973, likely long long before you were born. Back in the 70 s men played the game and it was mega violent, so spare me the lecture. Guarantee you I ve given and received more violent hits, had more concussions and fought opponents (I played both hockey and lacrosse as well, so know very well what a real fight is!!!)more than you ever did or will. Given the chance, I d gladly kick your butt, but I?d do it fairly, clean and within the rules, if you were down and out, I?d leave you be, not flail away like cowards nowadays do, and if after smoking you you reached out for a hand up, I?d gladly help you to your feet so I could kick the crap out of you again. I played the game with honour and integrity, something punks nowadays know nothing about. You guys have never had a real fight in your life. Spare me the jibber jabber.
You don?t know anything about me. This spat clearly indicates your character. Done.

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 03, 2022, 01:20:51 AM
You don?t know anything about me. This spat clearly indicates your character. Done.

Yup. No point responding to that garbage pile.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

I think we have exhausted this subject.  Like most controversial subjects, the opinions are wide ranging and passionate.

It's one of those topics that you likely stand your ground on so we can opine and then agree or disagree.  When people start calling each other out, it's time to retire the topic.

Hope everyone understands.  Feel free to PM me your thoughts.