Cody F. Doesn't Appear....

Started by ModAdmin, October 20, 2022, 02:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandgoldguy

Cody is no more than a backup.  His accuracy is terrible outside of 10 - 15 yards.  Rather than lead his receivers on their routes with his throws, they constantly have to slow down or come to complete stops to make the catch.  The only reason his completion percentage is as high as it is would be his tendency for short passes.

Cody will almost certainly take a big pay cut next year.  Base salary less than $200,000.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on October 21, 2022, 01:23:19 AM
Cody is no more than a backup.

I've been saying this since Riders thought he was the messiah in '19.  Here's the thing: Fajardo is in the strange position of (now) being the best of the backups, or the worst of the legit starters, depending how you look at it.

Once the music stops in the FA game of musical QBs, whoever is left without one of the legit starters is stuck with Cody.  If they give him a much better OL and a couple of decent receivers and a run game, he should be serviceable to .500.

If he tones down his whining, and stays healthy, Cody could turn out to be the next Kevin Glenn: team-hopping as backup and getting games when starters go down.  He could actually have a long career here in that role, easily commanding $200k+.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sec227 on October 20, 2022, 03:40:34 PM
Agreed. The go ALL in on Bo now....Has to be the real only angle they got.

ABC.  BLM has as much chance starting in front of SSK fanbase as he does in WPG.  Just not gonna happen.  They've hated him way too much for years.

IF SSK hires Bo, he'll morph from the guy they hated because he always won into the guy they'll hate because he'll always lose.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Sitting Cody is the smart move from a fan attendance / sales standpoint:

1. Start Cody and everyone in the stadium knows SSK will lose.  And they continue to get even more pissed off.

2. Start Fine and everyone can make believe in pixie dust and fairies that "let's see if the kid can win".  SSK will still lose, but you get the attendance/sales "to give the kid a chance".

The absolutely best scenario for both Cody and SSK is if Fine is sucking so bad they pull Fine and somehow Cody lucks into a win.  And it could happen because if the day before BC beats EDM then CGY has zilch to play for and won't try.  Many fans won't know that and will think it's Cody lighting things up.  (From our standpoint, it's ideal if BC loses to EDM so BC/CGY continue to have to play lights out.)

The HAM game on Friday will also decide a lot.  Bascially the Friday games dictate who has to try on Saturday in Mosaic.
Never go full Rider!

Sec227

Because of the Riders being a "top" draw in the CFL. They were so quick to anoint him as the second coming of Doug Flutie etc. Franchise this Franchise that is all you ever heard when they talked about him. HUGE expectations were put on him. Im not saying he was 100% the issue in the offence. But he is NO Bo or Zack in their primes.

theaardvark

Quote from: wpg#1 on October 20, 2022, 06:05:39 PM
Wow Aard's, you must be seeing something different than me. Earned it ? He can't throw a ball past 15 yards, he whines and never takes the blame for bad play, speaks way to much to the media and can't stay off social media. He'll be lucky to get a back up spot.

He's been a legit starter in this league, and has had sub par Oline and OC the past two "regression" years...

There is a reason he has been frustrated. 

There are GM's and coaches out there that will see the whole picture, and take a chance that a  Fajardo with a fire in his belly to show SSK was wrong will be a starter again.

And, by starters money, I don't mean $600k, I mean above the $70-150k a backup gets...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on October 21, 2022, 03:21:56 PM
He's been a legit starter in this league, and has had sub par Oline and OC the past two "regression" years...

There is a reason he has been frustrated. 

There are GM's and coaches out there that will see the whole picture, and take a chance that a  Fajardo with a fire in his belly to show SSK was wrong will be a starter again.

And, by starters money, I don't mean $600k, I mean above the $70-150k a backup gets...

But what has he done lately? Having been a starting calibre QB three years ago* doesn't account for much right now, especially where a new contract is concerned.

I'm sure you're right and there will be a GM willing to take a chance on him based on his skill set. However, I'd fully a expect a "cheaper" and more incentive laden contract in order to prove his worth and minimize the risk.

Fajardo has the tools but his attitude recently seems hindering at times.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 21, 2022, 04:18:53 AM
Sitting Cody is the smart move from a fan attendance / sales standpoint:

1. Start Cody and everyone in the stadium knows SSK will lose.  And they continue to get even more pissed off.

2. Start Fine and everyone can make believe in pixie dust and fairies that "let's see if the kid can win".  SSK will still lose, but you get the attendance/sales "to give the kid a chance".

The absolutely best scenario for both Cody and SSK is if Fine is sucking so bad they pull Fine and somehow Cody lucks into a win.  And it could happen because if the day before BC beats EDM then CGY has zilch to play for and won't try.  Many fans won't know that and will think it's Cody lighting things up.  (From our standpoint, it's ideal if BC loses to EDM so BC/CGY continue to have to play lights out.)

The HAM game on Friday will also decide a lot.  Bascially the Friday games dictate who has to try on Saturday in Mosaic.

I think it's the opposite. I thought Sask would be doing everything they possibly can to make the playoffs. All they can do is try to beat Calgary twice.

Sitting CoFaj is literally throwing in the towel to all the fans who bought season tickets and grey cup tickets and drive in from the farm every weekend.
#Ride?

wpg#1

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 21, 2022, 04:32:44 PM
I think it's the opposite. I thought Sask would be doing everything they possibly can to make the playoffs. All they can do is try to beat Calgary twice.

Sitting CoFaj is literally throwing in the towel to all the fans who bought season tickets and grey cup tickets and drive in from the farm every weekend.

I agree. That stadium will be pretty empty Saturday.
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

GOLDMEMBER

THis all the way ^
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GCn19

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on October 21, 2022, 01:23:19 AM
Cody is no more than a backup.  His accuracy is terrible outside of 10 - 15 yards.  Rather than lead his receivers on their routes with his throws, they constantly have to slow down or come to complete stops to make the catch.  The only reason his completion percentage is as high as it is would be his tendency for short passes.

Cody will almost certainly take a big pay cut next year.  Base salary less than $200,000.

Cody throw between 0 and 7 yards a whopping 79% of the time. His completion percentage over 7 yards is a staggeringly low 51.2%. That tells me everything I need to know about him.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

theaardvark

Quote from: GCn19 on October 21, 2022, 06:44:50 PM
Cody throw between 0 and 7 yards a whopping 79% of the time. His completion percentage over 7 yards is a staggeringly low 51.2%. That tells me everything I need to know about him.

Is that because those are the plays Maas calls?  Or those are the Rec's that are open?  Or that's all the time his Oline allows him?

So much of a QB play is based on what happens around him.  I agree, he has some accountability, but he's been sacked so many times this year, you have to wonder why...

He's not a horrible starting QB... and someone will offer him starting money.  Not elite money, but probably the 8th highest contract in the league, with incentives.  And *if* SSK misses the playoffs and purges the front office / coaches, he could be back in Green...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/roughriders-fajardo-agree-restructured-contract-2022-cfl-season/

""Cody has always been the definition of a team player, and this is just another example of that," Roughriders vice-president of football operations Jeremy O'Day said in a release. "His leadership both on and off the field has been a large part of our success, and we appreciate his team-first mentality as we head into the 2022 season.""
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 21, 2022, 04:13:15 PM
But what has he done lately? Having been a starting calibre QB three years ago* doesn't account for much right now, especially where a new contract is concerned.

I'm sure you're right and there will be a GM willing to take a chance on him based on his skill set. However, I'd fully a expect a "cheaper" and more incentive laden contract in order to prove his worth and minimize the risk.

Fajardo has the tools but his attitude recently seems hindering at times.

I'm not a fan of Fajardo, but he did get them to the Western Final in 2019 and 2021, coming in first in 2019 and defeating the Stamps in the WF last season, so you have to give him some credit for those accomplishments.  On the whole I think this season's poor showing can be attributed to a total team failure.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 21, 2022, 08:06:00 PM
I'm not a fan of Fajardo, but he did get them to the Western Final in 2019 and 2021, coming in first in 2019 and defeating the Stamps in the WF last season, so you have to give him some credit for those accomplishments.  On the whole I think this season's poor showing can be attributed to a total team failure.
He has shown the ability to win a big game yes agree.  But he needs to do that next year for us to believe again in my opinion.

TecnoGenius

It's a cognitive dissonance thing.  Plus I think the mindset is different for us outsiders vs SSK fans.

First, read the Sask fans forum, watch the Riders pressers, and read the snarky Regina media.  Two things are very clear:
1. No one thinks they will make the playoffs.  No one.  Jesus will return to sprinkle Mosaic before they make the playoffs.
2. No one thinks Cody will win if he starts the next game.

Even the Riders pressers with CD, etc, they say they want to win, think they will win, but look at their body language and tone.  They are fully defeated.

So if you already have written off the playoffs, and the fans don't want to watch Cody lose again, what else do you do other than start Fine?  CD said in the pressers that it was a "team decision" meaning JOD made the call.

It may be a dead stadium on Saturday, but it will be less dead than if Cody was starting.  Seriously.

You are an outsider (as am I) who isn't as raging mad as SSK fans are.  The rage, rightly or wrongly, is mostly directed at Cody.  What we think might be a logical decision, who we think will be the better starter, doesn't really enter into the equation.

So ya, if you thought you had any hope, both of us would start Cody.  But if you resign all hope, why not look at Fine?  Can you imagine the carnage in Regina if they just started Cody again and lose it just the same as they always do?  You want to take that heat in the post-game presser?  If Fine loses you have all the excuses in the world.  CD loves excuses.
Never go full Rider!