Zach Collaros

Started by GOLDMEMBER, October 09, 2022, 11:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on October 09, 2022, 04:03:25 PM
It was interesting listening to Purkop talk about DS83 yesterday after the game. How impressed he was with him right from the start of camp. I think everyone who watch TC, was impressed with his speed and ability to get open. 

He's leading the CFL in yardage at the moment ( by 34 yards ). Rhymes has a game in hand but he's got V. Adams as a QB and not Collaros. That said he was the Lions leading receiver yesterday.

We might see a drop off for Schoen over the next two games depending on how much Collaros plays.

Regardless, Schoen is going to finish in the top 3 receivers and he's been as good or better than any 1st year receiver I can recall in recent history.

My only question now is can we keep him in the CFL in 2023. He might draw some NFL interest very quickly. I understand the lure of the NFL for him but IMO he's better off with a 2 year CFL career to build his resume for the NFL.

Lawler was that guy coming out of 2021. I don't remember if he had any NFL looks but he obviously stayed in the CFL this season. If not for the injuries he MIGHT have gotten that look this off season. Schoen is 3 years younger.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 09, 2022, 03:33:14 PM
Rourke could have certainly been in the running if he had stayed healthy. OTOH you can't predict the what if situation. Being able to stay healthy and perform at a consistently high level is part of what determines an MOP candidate.

Lions could have been the team finishing in 1st place if not for some injuries. They were impressive early on without doubt. Bombers took a little longer to get Oliveria to finding his path to success and we had to deal with injuries too. Schoen was not as prominent early on as he is now and he quite likely wins ROY.

At the moment our offence is unstoppable and we're still missing Ellingson and Woli!!!

No way Rourke takes the MOP from Collaros but I can see them giving him the MOC just because of all the hype he received earlier in the season, which would be too bad for Demski as he has had an outstanding season.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 09, 2022, 04:50:26 PM
He's leading the CFL in yardage at the moment ( by 34 yards ). Rhymes has a game in hand but he's got V. Adams as a QB and not Collaros. That said he was the Lions leading receiver yesterday.

We might see a drop off for Schoen over the next two games depending on how much Collaros plays.

Regardless, Schoen is going to finish in the top 3 receivers and he's been as good or better than any 1st year receiver I can recall in recent history.

My only question now is can we keep him in the CFL in 2023. He might draw some NFL interest very quickly. I understand the lure of the NFL for him but IMO he's better off with a 2 year CFL career to build his resume for the NFL.

Lawler was that guy coming out of 2021. I don't remember if he had any NFL looks but he obviously stayed in the CFL this season. If not for the injuries he MIGHT have gotten that look this off season. Schoen is 3 years younger.

You never know but I can't see the Bombers retaining Schoen after this season, it's in his nature to pursue his dreams and I believe he'll be off to the NFL to try his luck early next year.  Best case scenario he fails to latch on with any NFL teams and returns to the Bombers in 2-3 years after he's had his fill of waiting around for his football career to kick in.  It's hard to imagine he'll ever have another season as successful as this one has been if it ends with a ring and the MOR award.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 09, 2022, 05:44:10 PM
No way Rourke takes the MOP from Collaros but I can see them giving him the MOC just because of all the hype he received earlier in the season, which would be too bad for Demski as he has had an outstanding season.

I don't know about that. ND10 has been pretty good and played the whole season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on October 09, 2022, 07:00:19 PM
I don't know about that. ND10 has been pretty good and played the whole season.

I think they'll want to spread the awards around a bit, Collaros and Schoen are shoo-ins and Stanley will be in contention again for MOL.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 09, 2022, 07:36:39 PM
I think they'll want to spread the awards around a bit, Collaros and Schoen are shoo-ins and Stanley will be in contention again for MOL.

Yes, he was great. But he only played 9 games. If we are only going off of 9 games, he wins both MOP and MOC.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 09, 2022, 05:44:10 PM

You don't get anything for playing 9 games. I'm just saying that Rourke and Lions would have potentially been in the running for an MOP and a 1st place finish. Can't really guarantee how either looked in the rest of the season if Rourke stayed healthy.

It's all about an extremely high level of performance for a sustained time. Collaros has done that this season without any doubt.

Rourke over Demski for MOC if Rourke had stayed healthy and continued his level of play? Certainly a reasonable thought. QB value over a receiver can't be over looked.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Stats Junkie

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 09, 2022, 11:21:32 AM
This guy is just unbelievable! :o

What is his record as a starting Qb for the Blue Bombers?

He has got to be catching up to BLM for best winning percentage as starting QB after how many starts?
Stats Junkie?

Is he nipping at history making numbers?

Cherish these performances. It seems these types of QB performances/records  only come around here about once every generation at the most!
Career wise, Collaros is too far behind Mitchell to catch him for winning percentage.

As for best stretch of games, he is neck and neck with Kenny Ploen (1959-1961). Ploen regained his starting role with 1 game remaining in the 1959 regular season. Ploen was 27-2 in the regular season & 34-3 overall during that span.  *2 Grey Cups

Collaros' 1st start with Winnipeg was with one game remaining in the 2019 season. Since then he is 26-4 regular season & 32-4 overall.   *2 Grey Cups (and counting)

I guess that you could say that is once in a generation type of numbers.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 10, 2022, 03:05:51 AM
Career wise, Collaros is too far behind Mitchell to catch him for winning percentage.

As for best stretch of games, he is neck and neck with Kenny Ploen (1959-1961). Ploen regained his starting role with 1 game remaining in the 1959 regular season. Ploen was 27-2 in the regular season & 34-3 overall during that span.  *2 Grey Cups

Collaros' 1st start with Winnipeg was with one game remaining in the 2019 season. Since then he is 26-4 regular season & 32-4 overall.   *2 Grey Cups (and counting)
Mmmmmm
I guess that you could say that is once in a generation type of numbers.
wow....I knew Kenny Ploen was outstanding as I watched him play as a kid....and Zach has been equally impressive.   
Bomber fan for life

gobombersgo

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 09, 2022, 04:50:26 PM

David Williams in 1988 had 83 catches for 1468 yards and 18 Touchdowns 17.7 yard/ave as a first year player.  He previously played in the NFL so he wouldn't be considered a rookie today but he did win MOP.

Derrell Mitchell in 1997 had 77 catches for 1457 yards and 17 Touchdowns 18.9 yard/ave as a first year player. He won Rookie of the Year but wouldn't be eligible accordingly to today's rules as he played 1 game in the NFL.

Schoen is at 64 catches for 1275 yards and 14 Touchdowns 19.9 yard/ave

Blue In BC

Quote from: gobombersgo on October 10, 2022, 07:57:48 AM
David Williams in 1988 had 83 catches for 1468 yards and 18 Touchdowns 17.7 yard/ave as a first year player.  He previously played in the NFL so he wouldn't be considered a rookie today but he did win MOP.

Derrell Mitchell in 1997 had 77 catches for 1457 yards and 17 Touchdowns 18.9 yard/ave as a first year player. He won Rookie of the Year but wouldn't be eligible accordingly to today's rules as he played 1 game in the NFL.

Hmmmm. Another 200 yards would be possible for Schoen in the last 2 games. Realistically I think they protect his health and doubt he plays the entire last two games with 1st place locked up.

Over the last 3 games he's had over 100 yards in each game and seems to be unstoppable.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 10, 2022, 01:27:58 PM
Hmmmm. Another 200 yards would be possible for Schoen in the last 2 games. Realistically I think they protect his health and doubt he plays the entire last two games with 1st place locked up.

Over the last 3 games he's had over 100 yards in each game and seems to be unstoppable.

Yeah, he probably won't get the ability to pad his stats too much going forward.

But with roster sizes, a lot of guys still need to play - but way less snaps.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: gobombersgo on October 10, 2022, 07:57:48 AM

What is so impressive about Schoen is the fact that he IS indeed a first year rookie.....
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 10, 2022, 03:00:13 PM
What is so impressive about Schoen is the fact that he IS indeed a first year rookie.....
a true rookie as in first year as pro unlike the other two mentioned.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

DM83

And you do realize there are  probably ten other guys just like Shoen in the states, right.