Official Game Day Thread - Edmonton at Winnipeg October 8, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, October 07, 2022, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Funny game fan story

I am in the concourse and I see this guy wearing his classic game worn Paul Bennett jersey from the 1980s. I go up to him and say ?wow that is an amazing jersey I?d love to get it?. Then the guy responds well I?m Paul Bennett it is my jersey, lol. So I got a photo of GOLD MEMBER with Paul Bennett! Nice guy!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 09, 2022, 06:55:02 PM
Funny game fan story

I am in the concourse and I see this guy wearing his classic game worn Paul Bennett jersey from the 1980s. I go up to him and say ?wow that is an amazing jersey I?d love to get it?. Then the guy responds well I?m Paul Bennett it is my jersey, lol. So I got a photo of GOLD MEMBER with Paul Bennett! Nice guy!

Now that is an interesting story. Bennett was fun to watch.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Funny game fan story

cool story!
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Funny game fan story

Haha, I saw the exact same guy!!  I like noting fan jerseys and noticed an old beat-up Bennett and was like "who was Bennett?" as I searched my brain.  Didn't think it might be an actual ex-player!  But I'm not gregarious Goldmember!!  :D

Ok, I guess there could have been 2 old Bennett jerseys in the crowd... but I wouldn't bet money on it.  It was an away jersey I think, right?  Only noticed it for a couple of seconds.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue72 on October 09, 2022, 01:49:51 AM
Does Bighill Finally get a game off next game to rest his shoulder

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 09, 2022, 05:27:11 AM
I thought Biggie had an improved performance tonight, didn't look like anything was wrong with his arm, he pulled Hills down a few times with solid tackles.

Rewatching this game you can see Biggie did way better than in the SSK game(s).  And watch, he's adjusted his tackling style perhaps to account for whatever was ailing him.  He's tackling mid/lower and sliding down keeping a firm grip on a leg.  And he won't be shaken.

Previous games he was trying to wrap up the torso and whatever is bugging him he just can't get the strength to hold on to that girth.  His new style is working great and I hope he sticks with it.  The only danger is players can try to go over you, but it'll be hard because his initial contact is still mid-level.

But ya, if we're resting players, Biggie is a prime candidate.  Gauthier has been playing a ton at MIKE anyhow, so just make it official for 1-2 games.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on October 09, 2022, 04:01:55 AM
Overstated on negative imho. Rose is a critical part of our back end and makes plenty more plays than mistakes.  While he hasn't been great this year, he is steady and will be realied upon for our cup run.

Rose is awesome and teams still shy away from testing him.  His deep busts once a game can be coached/corrected.  It's a mis-read and aggressiveness to make the big mid-range stop/INT that is causing this.

I'll state right now that Rose will make 1 or 2 massive INTs/batdowns in the playoffs.  You can bank on it.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2022, 01:44:24 AM
Haha, I saw the exact same guy!!  I like noting fan jerseys and noticed an old beat-up Bennett and was like "who was Bennett?" as I searched my brain.  Didn't think it might be an actual ex-player!  But I'm not gregarious Goldmember!!  :D

Ok, I guess there could have been 2 old Bennett jerseys in the crowd... but I wouldn't bet money on it.  It was an away jersey I think, right?  Only noticed it for a couple of seconds.

There also was Roy Bennett (also a db) in the late 80?s-early
90?s.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 11, 2022, 04:28:05 AM

There also was Roy Bennett (also a db) in the late 80?s-early
90?s.

Roy Bennett # 23 played 1985-1987. When I 1st read the story I thought the # 27 Paul Bennett was going to be a friend of mine that has one of those vintage jerseys. 
2019 Grey Cup Champions

wpg#1

Funny game fan story

Very nice guy. He works at the Polo Park Home Depot. Loves to talk about old time football !!
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Waffler

Quote from: wpg#1 on October 11, 2022, 02:51:04 PM
Very nice guy. He works at the Polo Park Home Depot. Loves to talk about old time football !!
He really had the knack for punt returns besides being a very good safety. This is back when blocking was first allowed on punts.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

DM83

I played when there wasn't blocking.  In hindsight, how absurd.  I guess lol!
Mr. Bennet was an awesome returner and safety.