Paul Lapolice Fired

Started by ModAdmin, October 01, 2022, 06:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Dave Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
Follow
Special teams coach Bob Dyce is the @REDBLACKS interim head coach. #CFL

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/01/ottawa-redblacks-fire-head-coach-paul-lapolice/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

The Zipp

Not surprised.  Too bad for him with masoli getting hurt but he made some big errors for not being a rookie HC.  Should have hired Khari as OC instead of trying to do it all. 

GOLDMEMBER

Wow could not even make it through the year.

They could done that a couple weeks ago.

He just is not HC material. Curious to see where he resurfaces?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

bwiser

A nice guy who is a good coordinator but struggled as a head coach. If Massoli doesn't get hurt he probably still has a job. Craig Dickenson is now the coach on the hot seat.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on October 01, 2022, 06:33:57 PM
Not surprised.  Too bad for him with masoli getting hurt but he made some big errors for not being a rookie HC.  Should have hired Khari as OC instead of trying to do it all. 

I like that idea

M.O.A.B.

Khari will be the next Ottawa's Head Coach.

GOLDMEMBER

He won?t have a problem finding another job.

TBURGESS

Don't you need to give a coach three years to make the playoffs if they inherit a bad team or does that only apply to MOS, after applying 20-20 hindsight?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

dd

I thought they would have waited until,the end of the season but this was inevitable. The man was a terrible head coach.

Who is going to be their interim OC??

The Zipp

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 01, 2022, 07:07:42 PM
Don't you need to give a coach three years to make the playoffs if they inherit a bad team or does that only apply to MOS, after applying 20-20 hindsight?

When you know you know...there is no formula and no team or situation is the same. 

Nice try though. 

Lincoln Locomotive

His record as a head coach is 22-50 and those numbers speak for themselves....albeit he did get us to the Grey Cup in one of those years as our head coach.    Good luck to him and he will end up somewhere in the CFL....maybe back with the Riders after they clean house management wise!
Bomber fan for life

M.O.A.B.

It was Desjardins who hired Lapo though, not Burke.

GoldHelmetHead

The Bombers weren't getting worse under MOS, they were building something. Lapo looks like a deer in the headlights as a coach and he runs the same stupid dunk passes for short yardage we did with Nichols.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: GoldHelmetHead on October 01, 2022, 07:41:58 PM
The Bombers weren't getting worse under MOS, they were building something. Lapo looks like a deer in the headlights as a coach and he runs the same stupid dunk passes for short yardage we did with Nichols.
This^ welcome GoldHelmet. Love the handle ;D

TBURGESS

Quote from: GoldHelmetHead on October 01, 2022, 07:41:58 PM
You're applying 20-20 hindsight there. MOS' first two seasons were 7 wins, then 5 wins & he didn't lose his starting QB in week 3.

Pigskin

You could see this coming for weeks now. I couldn't believe there was people on this board that thought he was save.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Lincoln Locomotive

Im not sure that's a fair analogy....MOS established and brought a new culture to the Winnipeg locker room that LAPO could never emulate.   To do what MOS accomplished takes time....he also had Walters and Miller to back him through it all and they stayed the course....and look where we are now?   LAPO is a great OC but he doesn't exactly inspire as HC.....that you can't teach.   You either have this ability or you don't.    MOS has it and LAPO doesn't....end of story.
MOS empowers his players and coaches and that in itself is a powerful tool when building a dynasty....not to mention acquiring a ringer QB which we now have with Zach8.....or "8 Ball"!  
When they asked Bud Grant about the keys to his success.....he said what's needed is a "good wife, a good dog, and a great QB".    MOS has all of those going for him and his ability to inspire his teammates and coaches to all be leaders, is something to behold!   It even goes beyond football and applies to real life situations in general!  
That being said, I wish nothing but the best for LAPO because he is truly a great guy however I think his days of being a head coach in the CFL are all but done.    I could be wrong on this however and he may end up as a HC somewhere else....but I wouldn't bet on it.
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 01, 2022, 07:49:48 PM
You're applying 20-20 hindsight there. MOS' first two seasons were 7 wins, then 5 wins & he didn't lose his starting QB in week 3.
For gods sake TBurg are you gonna do this friggin again? Man you are a stubborn fellow!

TBURGESS

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 01, 2022, 07:52:06 PM
For gods sake TBurg are you gonna do this friggin again? Man you are a stubborn fellow!
I'm simply pointing out that neither MOS nor PLAP had good years in the first 2 seasons. MOS didn't lose his starting QB early in the season like PLAP did. The same folks who think that PLAP should be fired (I agree BTW) think that MOS shouldn't have been fired, cuz he was "Building something". That's called 20-20 hindsight, but folks want to call it knowing that MOS would be great all along.

MOS became great late in his 6th season when Collaros became our starting QB.

Now, are you friggin going to go around this mulberry bush another time? Cuz, it takes 2 or more stubborn folks to make that happen.

blue_or_die

As a general rule, don?t feed any trolls.
#Ride?

Pigskin

The difference is Lapo has been a head coach in the past, he should have found solutions quicker.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 01, 2022, 08:03:09 PM
I'm simply pointing out that neither MOS nor PLAP had good years in the first 2 seasons. MOS didn't lose his starting QB early in the season like PLAP did. The same folks who think that PLAP should be fired (I agree BTW) think that MOS shouldn't have been fired, cuz he was "Building something". That's called 20-20 hindsight, but folks want to call it knowing that MOS would be great all along.

MOS became great late in his 6th season when Collaros became our starting QB.

Now, are you friggin going to go around this mulberry bush another time? Cuz, it takes 2 or more stubborn folks to make that happen.
Whatever!  :D You can have fun in your alternate dimension.

Waffler

Quote from: Pigskin on October 01, 2022, 08:23:15 PM
The difference is Lapo has been a head coach in the past, he should have found solutions quicker.

Yeah, he did earn the second chance. But it is what it is now. Back to OC somewhere or to TSN.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Waffler on October 01, 2022, 09:30:34 PM
Yeah, he did earn the second chance. But it is what it is now. Back to OC somewhere or to TSN.

TSN will have to many options!

BLM retiring? Lapo jobless! Who else?

Waffler

How does Benevides feel to be passed over? Knowing him, he is somewhat unhappy, haha. Does Dyce have any hope in Hades of keeping the job past this year? If not, add Benevides to your TSN list there Goldie.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

M.O.A.B.

Benevidez will follow Lapo out the door by the end of the season.

theaardvark

Dyce doesn't want the HC job, IIRC. 

If I were to guess, I'd think Lapo's time in the CFL is over, I think he'd be better suited to an NCAA co-ordinator position, which probably pays more than a CFL OC...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 01, 2022, 10:04:05 PM
Benevidez will follow Lapo out the door by the end of the season.
It is kinda crazy how many DC and OC retread candidates get other shots.

Austin85

Bring Lapo back to Winnipeg, next year as a coach.  He is a great offensive mind.

The Zipp

Quote from: Austin85 on October 01, 2022, 11:11:01 PM
Bring Lapo back to Winnipeg, next year as a coach.  He is a great offensive mind.

I am happy with Buck thanks..

M.O.A.B.

Lapo is that you?  ;D

dd

How can you say he has a great offensive mind?? Based on what??? Ottawa?s vanilla dink and dunk offense??!! I keep hearing how he?s a great offensive mind, but in Ottawa I saw the most boring, play it safe, 2 and out offense ever. If he was such a great offensive mind, he would have been able to generate offense and points, he didn?t. So I challenge the statement he s a great offensive mind. If anything, his offense is offensive to watch!!!

GOLDMEMBER

Pass the dink and dunk can go away. Buck is more aggressive and proofs in the pudding.

M.O.A.B.

Fajardo fits Lapos dink and dunk  ;D

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 01, 2022, 07:37:17 PM
His record as a head coach is 22-50 and those numbers speak for themselves....albeit he did get us to the Grey Cup in one of those years as our head coach.    Good luck to him and he will end up somewhere in the CFL....maybe back with the Riders after they clean house management wise!

I had thought about Riders stealing Buck as HC (a bad move for both) and then us grabbing Lapo as OC, but hadn't thought of Riders bypassing Buck and just getting Lapo as OC.  Might depend if Dickenson The Lesser can keep his job.  I think Maas has to go, or Cody has to go (or both).  It's intriguing that Lapo might end up back in SSK.

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 02, 2022, 12:06:48 AM
Fajardo fits Lapos dink and dunk  ;D

It's actually true.  Cody would do great in a Lapo OC system, just as he did better in a McAdoo system.

If we lose Buck, I'm all over bringing Lapo back as OC.  Otherwise, some other team will hire him as OC.  He won't work HC again... and he shouldn't.
Never go full Rider!

M.O.A.B.

If Im Lapo though I'll take TSN's job

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 01, 2022, 07:49:48 PM

MOS' 7 then 5 is still miles above Lapos 3 then 3 wins...  Heck, 7 is about 2022 SSK territory and 5 is almost good enough to make playoffs in the east.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on October 01, 2022, 09:42:11 PM
How does Benevides feel to be passed over? Knowing him, he is somewhat unhappy, haha. Does Dyce have any hope in Hades of keeping the job past this year? If not, add Benevides to your TSN list there Goldie.

Dyce will flounder, I'm guessing.  There might be a "new guy" brief surge, but it will fade.  OTT might also gain from any nothing-to-play-for games in the final weeks.  That might make Dyce look better than he is.

Benevides is just like Lapo: good at coordinator, bad at HC.  I can't see Bene getting HC role again, as much as I like the guy.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Pretty standard to make the special teams coach the interim head coach. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on October 02, 2022, 12:41:51 AM

Question is who are they going to bring in as their HC in the off-season, no names spring to mind so I think they will elevate a coordinator from a successful team again.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on October 02, 2022, 12:41:51 AM
maybe Kilam in Stamp town gets a crack at HC in Ottawa?

dd

I m thinking Killam will get a look, but Khari Jones will be the HC and he'll bring in Baron Miles with him and they'll start over in Ottawa I m thinking Khari would be a good fit for Arbuckle and he'd develop nicely under him.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 01, 2022, 09:33:48 PM
TSN will have to many options!

BLM retiring? Lapo jobless! Who else?

I "heard" Rod Black wants to come back! ;)  :D :D ;D ;)

ichabod_crane

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 01, 2022, 11:55:01 PM
Pass the dink and dunk can go away. Buck is more aggressive and proofs in the pudding.

I agree. Bucky and Collaros work together much better as Buck is more aggressive in his play packages and calling. I will say though that Lapo did what he could to fit the offence to Nichols skills and max it out. Nichols never had the strongest of an arm to complete the longer passes accurately. If he had Collaros (in his current playing form) earlier he probably would have adjusted the offence to be more aggressive possibly.

Only way I see Lapo coming back is if Buck moves on somewhere in the off season. Could be a head coach job opening coming up in Sask too unless they make some miraculous turn around to end the season.

BLUEBOMBER

Nice guy but he just wasn't HC material.  He would make a decent OC somewhere next season.  My guess is that Saskatchewan might give him a shot to bring back some decency in that locker room. 

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: The Zipp on October 01, 2022, 11:12:11 PM
I am happy with Buck thanks..
yes...especially with QB like Collard to,work with....they are a matched set. 
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 02, 2022, 02:40:50 AM
yes...especially with QB like Collard to,work with....they are a matched set. 
clearly!

Pigskin

theaardvark

I'm happy with Buck, Lapo to SSK when they say "No Maas" I can see, but a co-ordinators pay might be les than what Lapo wants, and knowing he won't have an HC opportunity again in the CFL, would he continue to toil as an OC?

He loves travelling around the NCAA and NFL, I could see him as an NFL offensive consultant, or an NCAA OC...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: theaardvark on October 02, 2022, 02:06:07 PM
I'm happy with Buck, Lapo to SSK when they say "No Maas" I can see, but a co-ordinators pay might be les than what Lapo wants, and knowing he won't have an HC opportunity again in the CFL, would he continue to toil as an OC?

He loves travelling around the NCAA and NFL, I could see him as an NFL offensive consultant, or an NCAA OC...
Does he not have kids at home till? He won?t be roaming the states.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on October 02, 2022, 02:06:07 PM

I don't think there are any avenues for Lapo to switch leagues.

He will get jobs based on his connections in the CFL, but he's not not going to be considered in the states for any relevant position and is too old to start at the bottom.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 02, 2022, 02:55:17 PM
Does he not have kids at home till? He won?t be roaming the states.
He has mentored under other head coaches who have had success..(.IE MOS)....so he knows what it takes to win in the CFL.   Unlike MOS he's never had a Zach Collaros as his starting QB.    When Zach8 arrived in Winnipeg late in the 2019 the fate of the Bombers suddenly transformed and we became a championship team almost overnight.  He's only lost 3 games out of 33 played since then!!  Not that you don't need a good team in front of any good QB to be successful as was the case for Mike Reilly who was beaten up due to BC's pathetic O-line.    It takes a team to win a GC however a championship caliber QB is also a huge factor.   There are exceptions, as in our Bomber team that had a less than stellar QB in Sean Salisbury at the helm....however our Defence at the time was capable of winning games with minimal offensive output.    Looking at the past winners the majority of championship teams had a very good or great QB leading their teams....
Having said that, LAPO did have Buck as our QB in his only GC game in I believe 2011.   Buck was unfortunately the victim of not having the best O-line and had he he was good enough, imho to win it all.   BC won at home that year with their MVP QB Travis Lulay! The game score was fairly close however BC controlled most of that game and Buck didn't have a stellar game either.    That was the year BC started the season with 5 consecutive losses to start the season.
I'm sure LAPO still believes he has what it takes to coach another team to a GC however I'm not sure he can convince another CFL team to hire him as one.    He is too talented of an offensive minded coach not to land a job somewhere in the CFL or the NCAA or perhaps even the NFL.   I'm sure he already has many irons in the fire as we speak.
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 02, 2022, 03:03:36 PM
I don't think there are any avenues for Lapo to switch leagues.

He will get jobs based on his connections in the CFL, but he's not not going to be considered in the states for any relevant position and is too old to start at the bottom.

There are thousands of college level football programs in the US, I think you underestimate his opportunities and his connections.

Pigskin

I think Paul stay in Canada. There are a few teams in the CFL that need an OC.

Waffler

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 02, 2022, 03:16:19 PM
He has mentored under other head coaches who have had success..(.IE MOS)....so he knows what it takes to win in the CFL.

Sorry Linc, I gotta object about this part.  He had 2 former head coaches with him in Ott to bounce stuff off and still they looked bad. In Winnipeg his first time, he had former HC Kavis Reed that he relied on quite a bit. You'd see those too talking often after practice.   He had to win this time or at least look they were getting better. Didn't happen even in a weak eastern conference. I just think he's used up his 9 lives now as HC. There just is no more upside to Lapo as head guy.

I will say that with Masoli they would have won more. You could argue Marino cost Lapo his job. Reminds me of Cahill's famous remark "when Leon slipped, I fell".

buckzumhoff

The gm should be fired before any coaches. Lapolice had hardly anything to work with

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: buckzumhoff on October 02, 2022, 04:38:17 PM
The gm should be fired before any coaches. Lapolice had hardly anything to work with

The GM is in his first year, LaPo was in his second and Dejardins left the team in a total mess.  As in Wpg. more patience to turn the ship around was needed than was given. O'Shea and Walters could have been booted in year 3 and we'd likely still be struggling to keep up with Calgary, with no cups to show.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: buckzumhoff on October 02, 2022, 04:38:17 PM

Agreed but Lapo made way to many questionable in game decisions to further frustrate anyone RB.

Cool Spot

Well, they only gave Jeff Reinebold two years...  ;D

GOLDMEMBER

TBURGESS

I think MOS is the only rookie CFL HC to get a 3rd year after missing the playoffs for his first two years. Maybe stats junkie can find me another.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 02, 2022, 07:21:07 PM
I think MOS is the only rookie CFL HC to get a 3rd year after missing the playoffs for his first two years. Maybe stats junkie can find me another.
Maybe lets not and say we did. ::)

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Waffler on October 02, 2022, 04:34:48 PM
Sorry Linc, I gotta object about this part.  He had 2 former head coaches with him in Ott to bounce stuff off and still they looked bad. In Winnipeg his first time, he had former HC Kavis Reed that he relied on quite a bit. You'd see those too talking often after practice.   He had to win this time or at least look they were getting better. Didn't happen even in a weak eastern conference. I just think he's used up his 9 lives now as HC. There just is no more upside to Lapo as head guy.

I will say that with Masoli they would have won more. You could argue Marino cost Lapo his job. Reminds me of Cahill's famous remark "when Leon slipped, I fell".
Fair enough....he did have MOS as a head coach in 2019....or was he gone already?    Let's just say he's been around enough coaches to know how to HC....yet he doesn't seem to have IT
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 02, 2022, 07:52:22 PM
Fair enough....he did have MOS as a head coach in 2019....or was he gone already?    Let's just say he's been around enough coaches to know how to HC....yet he doesn't seem to have IT
This^

Throw Long Bannatyne

Someone on TSN pointed out a difference between the East and West divisions in the last 20 years has been coaching and regime stability.  The Eastern teams have been more likely to dump their coaching staff and start again over again more often.  I don't know if this is true or not with so much recycling going on, seems to me the only stable regimes have been in Calgary, Winnipeg and Hamilton in recent years.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 02, 2022, 03:26:17 PM
There are thousands of college level football programs in the US, I think you underestimate his opportunities and his connections.

For sure, but a lot of them are on the level of intramural teams.

The level that Lapo would have to go to in order to get a foothold....I don't think that's what he wants to do at this point in his life/career.
My wife is amazing!

Jets

I'm fairly certain that O'Shea, Walters and Miller all came in and were explicitly given extensive rope and more leeway than usual.  There was a conscious understanding that the past 30 years were a disaster and we needed to patiently re-vamp the entire organization from the ground up. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison to say O'Shea got more time than most other head coaches. He did - but that was by design.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 02, 2022, 09:44:08 PM
Someone on TSN pointed out a difference between the East and West divisions in the last 20 years has been coaching and regime stability.  The Eastern teams have been more likely to dump their coaching staff and start again over again more often.  I don't know if this is true or not with so much recycling going on, seems to me the only stable regimes have been in Calgary, Winnipeg and Hamilton in recent years.

Someone else pointed out that most of the terrible teams have HC who are also their team's coordinator.

Dinwiddie
K. Jones
Lapo
C. Jones

My wife is amazing!

DM83

Lapo is a great OC, and decent deadpan color  guy on TSN when he was there.  He absolutely knows the x's and o's. 
In contrast, I would guess Pinball Clements leaves the X's and O's to  his coordinators, and he is the guy that fires up the troops.

I firmly believe game time adjustments win or lose you games.  I don't believe I ever saw Lapo huddle up with the OC, QB coach or even talk or smile with a player.

I have a playbook of 30 plays.  In reality we ran only about 5 or 6 predominently, and the others were situational, while some I loved, on paper, but didn't seem to work in reality.  So, apo always dicking around with a clipboard struck me as stupid.  Anyway,  too bad  he never got a chance with a real team, GM and scouts.

He seemed to take it well.

Good Luck!  There should be job openings in Edmonton, Montreal, maybe  Sask.  I am sure many management types respect his skills.  Good Luck!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jets on October 03, 2022, 03:26:12 PM
I'm fairly certain that O'Shea, Walters and Miller all came in and were explicitly given extensive rope and more leeway than usual.  There was a conscious understanding that the past 30 years were a disaster and we needed to patiently re-vamp the entire organization from the ground up. It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison to say O'Shea got more time than most other head coaches. He did - but that was by design.
This was my point as well....building a perennial contender vs. going all out in free agency etc. takes patience and a commitment.    The Bombers made that commitment and signing Zach8 was like putting the cherry on top of the cake!
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

If he can take the paycut, I can see him back in SSK as OC. Maas has stunk that place out...

I can't see any other team giving him a shot at HC, even if he gives up the OC hat. 

Had he hired Khari as his OC, things might be different today.

DM83

Or next year reverse that.  Khari could hire Lapo

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on October 03, 2022, 05:01:39 PM
If he can take the paycut, I can see him back in SSK as OC. Maas has stunk that place out...

I can't see any other team giving him a shot at HC, even if he gives up the OC hat. 

Had he hired Khari as his OC, things might be different today.

Nah. Jones was still in Montreal when the season started, anyway.

LaPolice is just not head coach material. His record with two different teams is evidence enough of that.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Was he HC and OC, when he was here.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on October 03, 2022, 05:49:18 PM

We had OC's, but Lapo was the play-caller.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Pigskin on October 03, 2022, 05:49:18 PM

Paul Lapolice - Bomber head coach 2010 - 2012
Jamie Barresi - Bomber Offensive Coordinator 2010 - 2011
Gary Crowton - Bomber Offensive Coordinator - 2012
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 03, 2022, 05:14:25 PM

LaPolice is just not head coach material. His record with two different teams is evidence enough of that.

He could have hired Jones when the Als dumped him, I believe he was available for a few weeks before the Ti-Cats picked him up.  Not sure Khari will get any HC offers either, his overall coaching record is not that good.

BlueInCgy

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 03, 2022, 06:12:14 PM
He could have hired Jones when the Als dumped him, I believe he was available for a few weeks before the Ti-Cats picked him up.  Not sure Khari will get any HC offers either, his overall coaching record is not that good.

But why would Khari have taken the gig?  His salary is guaranteed for the year, I'd he takes another contract he also takes a paycut.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 03, 2022, 06:03:38 PM
Paul Lapolice - Bomber head coach 2010 - 2012
Jamie Barresi - Bomber Offensive Coordinator 2010 - 2011
Gary Crowton - Bomber Offensive Coordinator - 2012
Lol Crowton. All I remember was terrible offence scheme from him.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueInCgy on October 03, 2022, 06:39:49 PM
But why would Khari have taken the gig?  His salary is guaranteed for the year, I'd he takes another contract he also takes a paycut.

He took the Ti-Cat job, so I didn't see the difference until I found he was hired as an "operations consultant", which looks like obvious chicanery to avoid exceeding the coaching cap.

https://ticats.ca/coaches/

I had no idea Ed Hervey was their Asst. G.M. & Senior Advisor to the President of Football Operations.

DM83

Yeah, so good for Hamilton. The experience could actually further help in Khari's knowledge.  He is too arrogant to hire a OC.  He thinks he is still the QB out there  instead of the Head Honcho.  He has promise, just has growing pains.

I thought those Montreal management cut him with no justification.  A poor team he was turning around, a truckload of QBs, covid, and  a slow but not unusual this year for many teams.  Khari was doing OK, I thought.   disrespect Montreal management and owners for f firing him, and  now they are quitting.  Bunch of *-*****.

I am pulling for Khari to re-surface.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 03, 2022, 05:14:25 PM

When Khari got fired, Lapo was already in trouble, and had he hired Khari then...

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on October 03, 2022, 08:27:48 PM
When Khari got fired, Lapo was already in trouble, and had he hired Khari then...
The problem with LAPO is his tendency to micromanage....unlike MOS who lets everyone do the job they're paid to do.
Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on October 03, 2022, 08:27:48 PM

Adding Khari to the coaching staff wouldn't have solved the roster issues with the team.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 03, 2022, 08:43:16 PM
The problem with LAPO is his tendency to micromanage....unlike MOS who lets everyone do the job they're paid to do.

And he watches for the little things.. like no yards off a helmet... what HC's are supposed to do...

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on October 03, 2022, 09:53:30 PM

And he watches for the little things.. like no yards off a helmet... what HC's are supposed to do...
yeah...that was a gutsy call and really flipped the field for us and it was at a time when the Riders were still in the game.
Bomber fan for life

bomb squad

-

I got one. Danny Barrett. Missed playoffs first two years. The Roughriders stuck with him for 7 years. They never even got to the Grey Cup. Ouch.

Make that two. Joe Zaleski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, 1967-1969. A record of 10-37-1. Ouch again.

TBURGESS

Quote from: bomb squad on October 04, 2022, 05:00:56 AM
-
I got one. Danny Barrett. Missed playoffs first two years. The Roughriders stuck with him for 7 years. They never even got to the Grey Cup. Ouch.

Make that two. Joe Zaleski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, 1967-1969. A record of 10-37-1. Ouch again.
Thanks.

Kinda proves that you don't gotta keep a guy for 3 years if they don't make the playoffs in the first 2 & that most teams won't keep a HC who doesn't make the playoffs for 2 years.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 04, 2022, 03:31:49 PM
Thanks.

Kinda proves that you don't gotta keep a guy for 3 years if they don't make the playoffs in the first 2 & that most teams won't keep a HC who doesn't make the playoffs for 2 years.

Most teams in the CFL are not well run, think about that for a minute.

Norm W

How about I got no contract MOS to Ottawa and Lapo returns to work with Buck as the OC  :o :o :o
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

theaardvark

Quote from: Norm W on October 04, 2022, 05:27:40 PM
How about I got no contract MOS to Ottawa and Lapo returns to work with Buck as the OC  :o :o :o

LOL... in your scenario, Lapo returns as OC, Buck moving to HC...

But, no...

dd

Holy smokes a solid big NO to that one!!

M.O.A.B.

what the ***!!!

DM83

Huh?
Super managed team in Winnipeg.
A slight raise and he easily stays put.

Why create more stress on himself, going to looney tuned managed Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto?

Quiet Winnipeg, great houses for lowest prices. Easy to get across town in 35-45 minutes.

He has a pretty nice job here. And he certainly could demand a large salary, in the end where would it be more manageable to live?

BLUEBOMBER

LaPolice will find a job somewhere in the CFL or College football down south.  He isn't head coach material though as shown twice.  I doubt Dyce will last long as HC as well if he does get a job doing that.