The Good. The Bad, The Ugly

Started by ModAdmin, August 26, 2022, 04:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBURGESS

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 27, 2022, 04:24:13 AM
You have your narrative that calls go the Bombers? way and never the other way around. Your post calls their chintz penalty legit and ours phantom. Like always.

Maybe one day the Bombers will be good enough for you.
I call them the way I see them. The RTP has been called that way all year on all teams, not just ours. There was one on the Riders last night where Sankey didn't hit the head, but took an RTP for a pile drive. QB's are football's life blood. Refs protect them, even if it's not in the rule book in black and white.

I don't think chintzy calls should be called in the last 3 minutes on any team. Last night it was a chintzy illegal contact penalty that stopped BC from getting a very small chance to tie up the game late.

The Bombers are good enough for me. They're the best in the league. That doesn't change the Reffing mistakes, or that we got 3 un-earned points to win by 2. For me, being a fan is looking at the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 27, 2022, 04:34:35 AM
TBurg just calls it like HE sees it. He certainly confuses me him being a Blue Bomber fan sometimes.
:D...that makes two of us however he does make some valid points....but yeah I'm confused by them on occasion...lol!
Bomber fan for life

elder

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 27, 2022, 03:37:14 PM
I call them the way I see them. The RTP has been called that way all year on all teams, not just ours. There was one on the Riders last night where Sankey didn't hit the head, but took an RTP for a pile drive. QB's are football's life blood. Refs protect them, even if it's not in the rule book in black and white.

I don't think chintzy calls should be called in the last 3 minutes on any team. Last night it was a chintzy illegal contact penalty that stopped BC from getting a very small chance to tie up the game late.

The Bombers are good enough for me. They're the best in the league. That doesn't change the Reffing mistakes, or that we got 3 un-earned points to win by 2. For me, being a fan is looking at the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I completely agree.

blue_or_die

Pointing out facts like that is completely fine but your post was just so typical of you. You?re basically saying we lost because of the refs when, had the calls gone the other way and our fan base is up in arms, you?d dismiss it as ?coulda woulda shoulda, that?s football, excuses are for losers, we did it to ourselves by putting us in that position where a bad call could even play a factor?.

Again, it?s not that I don?t think you have a point, it?s just that you ?call it like you see it? a very particular way. Every time.
#Ride?

Jesse

It's not that you're wrong - though I believe you are on a couple of points - it's that you point out the couple of plays that went our way and suggest it should have gone the other way.

It would be just as easy to look at close calls/plays that went Calgary's way - but that's not where your head goes.
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on August 27, 2022, 07:37:52 PM
It's not that you're wrong - though I believe you are on a couple of points - it's that you point out the couple of plays that went our way and suggest it should have gone the other way.

It would be just as easy to look at close calls/plays that went Calgary's way - but that's not where your head goes.
It's not about close calls that went our way. It's about the Ref's mistake that went our way, gave us the ball that we didn't deserve & 3 points that we didn't deserve. As we won by 2 points, that was one of, if not the, turning point of the game & it had nothing at all to do with how well we played. It was a gift from the ref.

Maybe the rule needs to change so this can't happen any more. No whistle until the ball is recovered. That guarantees the right team gets the ball every time.

TBURGESS

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 27, 2022, 07:15:20 PM
Pointing out facts like that is completely fine but your post was just so typical of you. You?re basically saying we lost because of the refs when, had the calls gone the other way and our fan base is up in arms, you?d dismiss it as ?coulda woulda shoulda, that?s football, excuses are for losers, we did it to ourselves by putting us in that position where a bad call could even play a factor?.

Again, it?s not that I don?t think you have a point, it?s just that you ?call it like you see it? a very particular way. Every time.
We won, in part, because of the refs mistake. That's a fact that some fans would rather ignore & don't want other fans to bring up.

When I agree with the masses, I'm just another 'me too'. When I disagree, it stands out. That's why you think I see it the same way every time.

Hint: Don't argue the poster, argue the post. For example: Tell my why you think the refs mistake in our favour does or doesn't matter instead of complaining that I always see things differently than others.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 27, 2022, 08:03:32 PM
We won, in part, because of the refs mistake. That's a fact that some fans would rather ignore & don't want other fans to bring up.

When I agree with the masses, I'm just another 'me too'. When I disagree, it stands out. That's why you think I see it the same way every time.

Hint: Don't argue the poster, argue the post. For example: Tell my why you think the refs mistake in our favour does or doesn't matter instead of complaining that I always see things differently than others.

I want to see a review of the holding call on Bighill, but I suspect he was close to tackling the RB in the backfield on that play and that may have been the reason it was called.

TBURGESS

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 27, 2022, 08:12:08 PM
I want to see a review of the holding call on Bighill, but I suspect he was close to tackling the RB in the backfield on that play and that may have been the reason it was called.
There's a review on the game 'film'. Matty comments on it. He didn't like the call. I'm with Matty on it.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 27, 2022, 08:03:32 PM

Fact is even after the call was made the Stamps had an opportunity to pin the Bombers deep in our end with a 2 and out....with still plenty of time to get the ball back and move into Paredes range.   We gained possession and controlled the ball making two critical first downs and crossing into Stamp territory to then kill the clock.   That's a good way to win a game....penalties, miscues and the like happen in any sport and to say the Bombers won the game because of that late holding call isn't really accurate.   The Bombers, once again found a way to win a game that could have gone either way!   

I'm betting that the Stamps and the Bombers play against one another in the West final and I'm betting we'll have a similar game....another war between to well matched and well coached teams.    Jake Maier will be even better with 8 games more under his belt.   Zach will have to be better as well and not throw those end zone picks.    The fact that we still won the game despite those two momentum killing picks is in itself amazing!

I'd really like to see someone post a video of that RTP penalty that wiped out a sack, fumble and score by the Bomber D.   Doug Brown commented on OB Radio that he thought the Bombers got the short end of the stick on that call
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 27, 2022, 07:57:22 PM
It's not about close calls that went our way. It's about the Ref's mistake that went our way, gave us the ball that we didn't deserve & 3 points that we didn't deserve. As we won by 2 points, that was one of, if not the, turning point of the game & it had nothing at all to do with how well we played. It was a gift from the ref.

Maybe the rule needs to change so this can't happen any more. No whistle until the ball is recovered. That guarantees the right team gets the ball every time.

The whistle's are intentionally blown when the play is believed dead to avoid the injuries that occur when players are diving for balls. I am positive that this is exactly the way the league wants it to be done.

During live play - the refs made a judgment call that it was an incomplete pass and blew the whistle - that is the correct thing to do. You can look at it with hindsight and say it should have been differently - but nothing was done wrong or called wrong from that point.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 27, 2022, 08:29:03 PM
Fact is even after the call was made the Stamps had an opportunity to pin the Bombers deep in our end with a 2 and out....with still plenty of time to get the ball back and move into Paredes range.   We gained possession and controlled the ball making two critical first downs and crossing into Stamp territory to then kill the clock.   That's a good way to win a game....penalties, miscues and the like happen in any sport and to say the Bombers won the game because of that late holding call isn't really accurate.   The Bombers, once again found a way to win a game that could have gone either way!   

I'm betting that the Stamps and the Bombers play against one another in the West final and I'm betting we'll have a similar game....another war between to well matched and well coached teams.    Jake Maier will be even better with 8 games more under his belt.   Zach will have to be better as well and not throw those end zone picks.    The fact that we still won the game despite those two momentum killing picks is in itself amazing!

I'd really like to see someone post a video of that RTP penalty that wiped out a sack, fumble and score by the Bomber D.   Doug Brown commented on OB Radio that he thought the Bombers got the short end of the stick on that call

It was an incomplete pass so there wouldn't have been a TD in any case.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2022, 09:08:40 PM
It was an incomplete pass so there wouldn't have been a TD in any case.
would still like to see the replay....one of the disadvantages of listening to the games on radio is no instant replay.   
Bomber fan for life

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on August 27, 2022, 09:08:12 PM
The whistle's are intentionally blown when the play is believed dead to avoid the injuries that occur when players are diving for balls. I am positive that this is exactly the way the league wants it to be done.

During live play - the refs made a judgment call that it was an incomplete pass and blew the whistle - that is the correct thing to do. You can look at it with hindsight and say it should have been differently - but nothing was done wrong or called wrong from that point.
Players dive for the ball no matter if the whistle has blown or not. Some players still playing after the whistle and some not is more dangerous than everyone still playing until the whistle.

The refs judgment was wrong, and there is no way for the Command Center to get it right because of the whistle. Simply waiting until the ball is recovered by a team before whistling it dead would fix the problem and the right team would get the ball that they deserve. That's the fair thing to do. Give the ball to the team that earned it.

I'm sure if it was the Stamps who fumbled, retained the ball, got the 3 and won by two, this conversation would go completely differently for most people around here while I'd still be saying that the CFL needs to fix the rule to get it right.

dd

You ll never eliminate the inadvertent whistle. Refs blow the play dead when they think it?s dead. An error in judgement, and you get an inadvertent whistle and we.re all human. Yes we benefitted from the early whistle and someday it will be the other way. And it?s not like the points were gifted to us, Legs still had to make the kick, which isn?t automatic.