Lions at Riders GDT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, August 19, 2022, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Always nice to see the Lions squash the Riders in there house!
Course if Riders win that helps the Blue Bombers immensely so it is a win win!! :)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Can SSK possibly win this??  Is there any hope?

I guess if they get a all-holds-are-ok ref that day, maybe.
Never go full Rider!

jdrattops

This is probably the best defence the Riders have fielded so far this season.  They?ll still give up 35 points and lose by 18.  Can?t stand either team, but go Lions... there?s nothing better then listening to a bunch of whining Riderville fans.  

Sir Blue and Gold

It sucks we have to cheer for a Riders win but we need to cheer for a Riders win.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 19, 2022, 03:11:53 AM
It sucks we have to cheer for a Riders win but we need to cheer for a Riders win.

Yes we do.  I actually think SSK's strength is their holding O (with a blind ref) and their dink & dunk pass, & run game.  I'm not scared of their D.  Good, but not great enough to pin down BC's O.

But if SSK can somehow confuse Rourke and hold him down like we did (pass pressure and a Bulter shutdown will really help there) then maybe they can have crowd momo going into the 4th and pull one out.

But I seriously doubt it.  And I won't pickem SSK!

Anyhow, GO RIDERS!!
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 19, 2022, 03:11:53 AM

I?m still gonna root for BC.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

It's funny how many people will be cheering for the Riders, but picked BC to win.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

M.O.A.B.

From the standings stand-point, it's better for us, if the Riders win. Their DL will get a boost with the return of Robertson, Leonard and the dirty Marino. That might give the Lions OL a hard time of protecting Rouke. 

That said, I think the Lions will sneak this one out due to a costly penalty.

The Zipp

It hurts deeply to say this but GO RIDERS!!

BC Needs to lose a stinker like we did last week at some point this season.  Beat themselves with mistakes.  They are a well coached team though and are playing confident football.

TBURGESS

BC's Achilles heal is special teams. If they fix that, they'll be right up there with the Bombers. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 19, 2022, 03:44:29 PM
BC's Achilles heal is special teams. If they fix that, they'll be right up there with the Bombers. 

No question they are close. That head to head match up was telling! Let?s see how that team performs when it is -20 or colder in Winnipeg..

DM83

Lions are the best team in the league.
Winnipegs start was nice.  But as the saying goes," it's not how you start, but how you finish."
Bucks play calling and misuse of his offensive personal is concerning.( McRae)
Winnipegs offensive line will see Zacs season come to a injury. Grey is awful.

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on August 19, 2022, 08:24:06 PM
Winnipegs start was nice.  But as the saying goes," it's not how you start, but how you finish."

9-1.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 19, 2022, 03:44:29 PM

They also just gave up 40 points to the Stamps...
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on August 19, 2022, 10:00:16 PM
They also just gave up 40 points to the Stamps...
They gave up 297 yards and a TD on Kickoff returns and were lucky that Philpot tripped or it would have been 2 TD's and 330+ yards.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 19, 2022, 10:14:57 PM
They gave up 297 yards and a TD on Kickoff returns and were lucky that Philpot tripped or it would have been 2 TD's and 330+ yards.

True enough!

I still think Rourke - right now - is not prepared to compete against top defences.

We stuffed them pretty good and Calgary had him but imploded.
My wife is amazing!

buckzumhoff

Saskatchewan offense and defense are pretty good. Should be a good game. . bc oine was sp bad last year now its pretty good but Reilly always hung onto the ball too long not easy to protect him

The Zipp

Quote from: buckzumhoff on August 19, 2022, 11:03:03 PM
Saskatchewan offense and defense are pretty good. Should be a good game. . bc oine was sp bad last year now its pretty good but Reilly always hung onto the ball too long not easy to protect him

Defence is very good - maybe the best....offence is just ok - Faj can make some plays but inconsistent with the throws. 

This will be the Lions and rourke's toughest test on the road. 

The Zipp

The Zipp

The Zipp

How is it a horse collar tackle if there was really no grab??

Another pick by Rourke - good defence takes points off

The Zipp

dd

Miscues by the Lions keeping this game close

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on August 19, 2022, 08:24:06 PM
disagree with all
one of the best starts in the history of the leage
Buck is a good OC, play calling is good, yes some issues for a few games, McRae has been used well
Predicting injury to any player at any time shows no respect for the team, while it's always a possibility, no need to go there
OL has had good and rough games
Gray is learning and will figure it out
We beat the Lions down
Quote from: LXTSN on August 19, 2022, 08:26:05 PM
9-1.
yup and we are still the Kings

pjrocksmb

The Zipp

I am not sure if you combined the o lines of Ottawa and Sask that you could still create a pro worthy line.

pjrocksmb

Nice play Lucky

Top receiver

pjrocksmb

The Zipp

Fine time...Faj hits the pine

Sir Blue and Gold

Fajardo got a case of the Lapo's now!

pjrocksmb

Cody can't throw a deep ball consistently

dd

pjrocksmb

that was a sick throw and catch boy, world class athletes in this league, what a treat

pjrocksmb

nice return, Sask needs a 7 or it's game over

pjrocksmb

lucky proving those posters right, can't catch with hands

pjrocksmb

Fine should start next game.  Nice throw and catch.

Sir Blue and Gold

Nathan Rourke ankle looks really bad!

The Zipp

Rourke hurt ...no pressure on his foot

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2022, 04:26:06 AM
Nathan Rourke ankle looks really bad!
Ah that's really too bad, they need to let him heal completely before he gets back on field

Fine's 3rd down try didn't look really that fine

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 20, 2022, 04:27:05 AM
Ah that's really too bad, they need to let him heal completely before he gets back on field

Poor Kid Canada. Suiter going to have to go into mourning.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2022, 04:28:47 AM
Poor Kid Canada. Suiter going to have to go into mourning.
Maybe only a minor injury lets hope but I don't think we will see him anytime soon.  Hope I'm wrong.

pjrocksmb

Riders so desperate on this challenge

pjrocksmb

Would it be better for Rourke if it's his lower foot and ankle and not a high ankle sprain?

Tiger

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 20, 2022, 04:38:51 AM
Would it be better for Rourke if it's his lower foot and ankle and not a high ankle sprain?

Yes.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 20, 2022, 04:38:51 AM

High ankle sprains suck so maybe. They are usually 6 weeks and can linger. Foot has a ton of bones and ligaments though and is super crucial to throw properly so hard to say.

pjrocksmb

I think I agree about Cody, go back to him unless he isn't healthy.  I liked what I seen with Fine earlier but maybe he isn't ready.  I think he does well in limited action / switch it up.  I think if a team game plans for him or adjusts to his style, he can't be that effective (yet).

Horseman

not looking good for Rourke, he can't even put any weight on his foot. He will probably need to be helped off the field at the end of the game.

pjrocksmb

That's a long time to have ice on his foot, is that normal to leave it on that long? Maybe he has been putting it on and off?

pjrocksmb

O no Fine throws a duck, 3 Lions in the window there

Sir Blue and Gold

Riders trying for more turnovers than points! It's getting close.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2022, 04:58:49 AM
Riders trying for more turnovers than points! It's getting close.
There is still time LOL

TecnoGenius

(I'm time-delayed by hours, sorry.)

BC's 1st drive: Marino blowing up the BC C is totally UR.  Refs can't let that stuff stand.  Whether it's IP or not the ball was on the ground, completely unsnapped.  You can't savagely blow up the C while the ball is still set!  Marino already raging on the 1st series.  Dude is a liability.

1st BC TD, that DPI was more OPI than DPI.  Weak.  SSK should have challenged.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

1Q3:15  Haven't seen "illegal snap" in the last 10 years of watching every CFL game.

Thankfully that's a penalty, as I was worried for a sec there you could really abuse this situation if you faked it to your advantage on a sneak.

Now, what if the C had recovered soon enough to still chuck it back to the QB??  Still an illegal snap?  Or only illegal because BC recovered in front of the C?

Interesting situation, eh?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

2Q2:31 BC's 2nd TD (Pipkin run) was 100% a tandem block and illegal.  Only Proulx has called tandem block and only once since it was revised several years ago.

OL can't push carrier forward, period.  Normally it isn't seen, and isn't called.  WPG used to tandem block a whackton with AH to get the last couple of yards.  It's ok if a team B player is touching your team A player and team A OL pushes the team B player, like a ABA train.  But you can't have team A player clearly pushing team A player directly (AA).

Ok, so what Tecno you're wasting my time... My beef here is that for once it happened clearly on a TD.  That means command should be reviewing for legality, noting all the rules were followed.  This tandem block was clear as day, not obstructed.  There is no way Pipkin goes in without that Chungh push.  He was stopped and staggering backwards stunned.

P.S. tandem block was made illegal because it's dangerous for the carrier; as in this instance where Pipkin get a neck-snapping push from a 380 pounder.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I'm up to the 3rd Q now and I must say both teams are playing very physical ball.  This is big to both teams.  SSK not just rolling over dead, and is trying to stay in it for their home fans.  But I can see they're losing their steam.

Great to see Dressler again, even if it's in green.

How is SSK OL so bad?  They weren't this bad in earlier games.  Lots of injuries?  BC is showing the clear way to beat SSK.  Pressure pressure pressure.  No way the current SSK OL can withstand our monster DL.  Their current OL is so bad they can't even get the dink & dunk to work.

Dickenson The Lesser is a clown removing Fajardo: he isn't the problem (well, not one that Fine can solve).  All this accomplishes is to destroy the kid's remaining confidence and mojo.  It also turns the fans against Faj.  Like it or not, SSK rides with Faj all the way this season.

3Q2:06 Lucky proves me right: alligator arms.  The first real hands-catch I've seen demanded of him in many games and he blows it.  Burnham/Rhymes make that 100% of the time.  Cottoy would even make it 90%.  His other catches in this game (including the 90 yarder) were bucket catches, as always.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 20, 2022, 04:27:05 AM

Fine looks good because BC DL has to honor his running / escaping.  No one has to do that for Faj in his current state (if ever, since 2019).  And BC is playing prevent / off because the lead is already insurmountable for a mediocre O.

Fine will be eviscerated by seasoned D's, especially with film.  These HCing mistakes are going to make it easy for us to clobber SSK in our upcoming games.

Rourke's facial expressions tell the story that it's probably a multi-week injury.  Broken?  It didn't look too bad in slow-mo, his leg didn't keep turning like it first appeared, so it didn't get too far out of whack.

I won't wish ill upon Rourke as he's great fun for all fans, but if he is out multi-week it might save us a heap of pain when we face BC 2 more times.  Also would mean we likely clinch #1 far sooner and the BC games might not even matter (i.e. start the backups).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Ironic: mobile, many-rushing-yards, Kid Kanada gets injured sitting in the pocket where he should be safest.

Bad luck.  BC's OL stout all game, and one of the few they give up creams their QB.  Reminds me of what happened to Nichols here.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

For some fun, check out the meltdowns on the Riderfans forum GDT.  Epic  :o ;D :D ;D

Greenies imploding just in time for our LDC/BB back2backs.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2022, 07:34:26 AM
1Q3:15  Haven't seen "illegal snap" in the last 10 years of watching every CFL game.

Thankfully that's a penalty, as I was worried for a sec there you could really abuse this situation if you faked it to your advantage on a sneak.

Now, what if the C had recovered soon enough to still chuck it back to the QB??  Still an illegal snap?  Or only illegal because BC recovered in front of the C?

It's an illegal snap because the ball went forward. Snap needs to go backwards.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2022, 07:34:26 AM

It's happened and it's happened to Winnipeg. Sometimes the center adjusts the ball before the snap and moves it slightly forward unintentionally. Net result is that penalty.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Over on Lionbackers they are suggesting Rourke has a high ankle sprain. They are already worrying about losing any chance of a play off spot. None of that has been confirmed and more worry than fact.

It is very unfortunate for Rourke, the Lions and all CFL fans.

What it does show is that any player can be injured on a given play.

Hopefully he can recover quickly and doesn't require any surgical repair. I wouldn't expect him to replay in the re-match but beyond that is only speculation.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

I don't think the lions need to worry about not making the playoffs...

M.O.A.B.

It's unfortunate what happened to Rouke. I think their best chance to win their succeeding games (while Rouke is out) is to start Pipkin instead of O'Connor. But still expect Lions to lose some of these games.

Lions losing games put us, in a good good situation.
We already have the tie-breaker with the Stamps.  
We will be facing (on LDC and BB) a Riders team who has a QB controversy in a bad bad way. Not to mention that they are far far below us in the standings.

Barring any significant injuries for the Bombers, the way to the final dance should still be through the 'Peg.

TBURGESS

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2022, 07:20:38 AM
BC's 1st drive: Marino blowing up the BC C is totally UR.  Refs can't let that stuff stand.  Whether it's IP or not the ball was on the ground, completely unsnapped.  You can't savagely blow up the C while the ball is still set!  Marino already raging on the 1st series.  Dude is a liability.
I was yelling "Throw the flag" at my TV when Marino blew up the center.

I'm not sure it was an illegal snap. It went backward, hit the centers leg and bounced forward.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 20, 2022, 01:47:32 PM
Over on Lionbackers they are suggesting Rourke has a high ankle sprain. They are already worrying about losing any chance of a play off spot. None of that has been confirmed and more worry than fact.

It is very unfortunate for Rourke, the Lions and all CFL fans.

What it does show is that any player can be injured on a given play.

Hopefully he can recover quickly and doesn't require any surgical repair. I wouldn't expect him to replay in the re-match but beyond that is only speculation.
I don't think it's a high ankle sprain. They were looking at the in step. Likely a broken bone IMO.

Pigskin

If Rourke is out for any length of time it will effect them. BC's D has been playing very well, so they will hold them in games. O'Connor has great receivers so as long as he doesn't turn the ball over BC will win there share of games. With Calgary having 3 losses it gives them a little breathing space.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TBURGESS

Pipkin's not bad, but it requires a ratio change IIRC. Still gotta do it.

BC's a good team on the whole. Pipkin should be able to keep them in the Win column half the time. Just get the ball to the play makers and let them do their thing.

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 20, 2022, 03:17:22 PM
I don't think the lions need to worry about not making the playoffs...

Correction. They suggested it might cost them a home play off game, not eliminate them from the play offs. If Rourke is out for many games, it's reasonable to suggest they could fall to 3rd I suppose. O'Conner or Pipkin would struggle. As mentioned Pipkin would be a ratio change as well if he was made the # 1 QB. Not sure who would actually be the # 2, but that's a factor.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 20, 2022, 03:22:25 PM

I'm not sure it was an illegal snap. It went backward, hit the centers leg and bounced forward.
I don't think it's a high ankle sprain. They were looking at the in step. Likely a broken bone IMO.

Broken bone on the top of his foot was my initial thought. Obviously that's not worth much from a fan watching TV with no medical knowledge. If that's what it is, it will still sideline him for awhile.

Possibly that would be a lesser injury than a high ankle sprain?

We'll hear more over the next week.

RE Marino: How was that not a penalty? He also tried but missed taking Whiteheads head off during a tackle.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 20, 2022, 03:20:27 PM
It's unfortunate what happened to Rouke. I think their best chance to win their succeeding games (while Rouke is out) is to start Pipkin instead of O'Connor. But still expect Lions to lose some of these games.

Lions losing games put us, in a good good situation.
We already have the tie-breaker with the Stamps.  
We will be facing (on LDC and BB) a Riders team who has a QB controversy in a bad bad way. Not to mention that they are far far below us in the standings.

Barring any significant injuries for the Bombers, the way to the final dance should still be through the 'Peg.

What has Pikin shown to start over O'Connor?  Two rushing TDs in one game, when you're the shortyardage QB, doesn't mean a thing.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on August 20, 2022, 05:17:45 PM
What has Pikin shown to start over O'Connor?  Two rushing TDs in one game, when you're the shortyardage QB, doesn't mean a thing.

Yes with the Leos that is.
And what O'Connor has shown w/ the Leos ?  9 completions in 12 attempts 1 TD 1 INT.  LOL. Are you O'Connor's mom or dad ?

Anyways let see their CFL career stats stats.
O'Connor - 2019-2022  24 games 24 completions 37 attempts 236 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Pipkin 2017-2022  43 games 112 completions 208 attempts 1453 yards   4 TD 9 INT

While Pipkin's stats is not great he is not lacking experience like O'Connor. And Pipkin is more athletic of the two.

If you check Pipkin has even better stats than Prukop. I actually wished Bombers would pickup Pipkin during the free-agency. But he went to the Leo's in a snap.

Sir Blue and Gold

You cannot bounce a snap off your own leg and then have it go forward. That's still a snap that travels forward. The centre cannot advance the ball forward by himself in any manner.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2022, 07:01:08 PM
You cannot bounce a snap off your own leg and then have it go forward. That's still a snap that travels forward. The centre cannot advance the ball forward by himself in any manner.

Shades of the Bomberrooskie. That snap was just placed a foot back under the center. It was an interesting trick play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2022, 01:11:00 PM
It's an illegal snap because the ball went forward. Snap needs to go backwards.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 20, 2022, 01:41:46 PM
It's happened and it's happened to Winnipeg. Sometimes the center adjusts the ball before the snap and moves it slightly forward unintentionally. Net result is that penalty.

TB and SB&G have it right, Watch all the slowmos, he snaps it into his own leg and it bounces/kicks forward then he falls on it.  I have never seen that before.

Yes, MOS chirped some years back and got a ref to flag an opponent advancing the ball 3 inches pre-snap.  Different situation completely, even if they call it the same penalty.  The league stopped calling those after a bit of an uproar ("happens on every snap").

Glad to hear the standard is "C cannot advance the ball", otherwise you could setup some trick plays where the C "snaps" it into his leg to get a yard (risky though).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Does Marino get a fine for that hit on the C?  How does the eye-in-the-sky not call that after the refs miss it?
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2022, 08:06:20 PM
Does Marino get a fine for that hit on the C?  How does the eye-in-the-sky not call that after the refs miss it?

Agree needs fine and a 15

Blue In BC

Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive lineman Garrett Marino has been fined for unnecessary roughness on BC Lions offensive lineman Peter Godber.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 24, 2022, 10:26:00 PM
Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive lineman Garrett Marino has been fined for unnecessary roughness on BC Lions offensive lineman Peter Godber.
hopefully he either gets hurt or is suspended for the up coming Blue Bomber games! What a complete tool.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 24, 2022, 10:26:00 PM

Good.  I hope it was a big one.  I've never seen anything so ridiculous as that hit.  Only thing close is the nonsense facemasks D.Carter does on a whack ton of plays, away from the ball.  Why do all the clowns seem to ooze out of SSK?

Funny, the Ridersfans forum was defending the Marino C hit in the GDT...
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Surprisingly Duron Carter played more games for Montreal than anyone else. No one has been able to control him although Chris Jones seems to think it's his calling to reform him.

Seasons played:
MTL - 3
SSK - 2
TOR - 1
BC   - 1
EDM - 1

What's with Gary Johnson from Sask? Suspended by the team for post game incident called an altercation? I have no details.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Riders will field a really depleted roster for this game.

The Riders will be without receivers Duke Williams, Justin McInnis, Wesley Lewis and Mitchell Picton (all ankle) this week. Running back Jamal Morrow (hand) is also out, as is defensive lineman Anthony Lanier II (head).

Receiver Shaq Evans (ankle) and defensive lineman Charleston Hughes (back) are among nine players listed as questionable.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on August 25, 2022, 01:14:22 PM
Surprisingly Duron Carter played more games for Montreal than anyone else. No one has been able to control him although Chris Jones seems to think it's his calling to reform him.

Seasons played:
MTL - 3
SSK - 2
TOR - 1
BC   - 1
EDM - 1

What's with Gary Johnson from Sask? Suspended by the team for post game incident called an altercation? I have no details.

They didn't give any details. Apparently he showed up the day after the last game and told them something happened the night before.

Dickenson just said it violated the teams code of conduct (Do they even have one?).
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

It looks like Fajardo is starting again today, I thought they were going to give Fine a shot but I see they don't have the courage to change their losing ways.  They're stuck on stupid.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 25, 2022, 02:33:42 PM
Dickenson just said it violated the teams code of conduct (Do they even have one?).

I have a copy of the SSK Code Of Conduct:

Section 1.
a. Hold

Section 2.
b. Play dirty.
Never go full Rider!