I'm writing for CFL News Hub

Started by Donny C, June 13, 2022, 06:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny C

Hey all,

I'm going to be writing for CFL News Hub covering the Bombers.

I wrote my first article for CFL News Hub, so we will see when it?s published.

Lots of respect to those who wrote articles, it?s not as easy as it looks.

I?m sure it?s going to be a bit rough at first, so if you read, please extend some grace as I learn.

wpg#1

I will do that Donny. But .. where were you on Friday, the RedBlacks were showing very little respect for 107, it would have helped if you were there !!
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Foxhound

Quote from: Donny C on June 13, 2022, 06:51:06 PMI'm going to be writing for CFL News Hub covering the Bombers.

Is CFL News Hub an old-fashioned print publication or is it strictly an online thingy?

???
Radically Canadian!

Donny C

Quote from: Foxhound on June 13, 2022, 08:34:51 PM
Is CFL News Hub an old-fashioned print publication or is it strictly an online thingy?

???

Online only

Donny C

Quote from: wpg#1 on June 13, 2022, 07:10:35 PM
I will do that Donny. But .. where were you on Friday, the RedBlacks were showing very little respect for 107, it would have helped if you were there !!

I was away over the weekend at a cabin in Ontario. We had a provincial leader's retreat for an organization that I am a part of (I am the MB Provincial Leader).

I did pick Masoli in my fantasy to make sure they did not win!

Donny C

Here's a link to my very first article written for CFL News Hub! (Please be gracious with me as I learn to be a better writer).

https://www.cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/hard-conversations-following-winnipegs-season-opener-win/?feed_id=1834&_unique_id=62a8b6e4cbb65

GOLDMEMBER

Hey Don, best article I?ve read of the game! Very engaging writing style. Loved it! Keep it up. Goldie
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 14, 2022, 05:52:02 PM
Hey Don, best article I?ve read of the game! Very engaging writing style. Loved it! Keep it up. Goldie

Thanks, buddy! Much appreciated!

bluengold204

Quote from: Donny C on June 14, 2022, 04:31:33 PM
Here's a link to my very first article written for CFL News Hub! (Please be gracious with me as I learn to be a better writer).

https://www.cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/hard-conversations-following-winnipegs-season-opener-win/?feed_id=1834&_unique_id=62a8b6e4cbb65

Found a small error  :D

Quote from the article
QuoteMarc Liegghio was not terrible in this game, going two for two on field-goal attempts (both being between 20-29 yards) but it was the play after Prukop scored the go-ahead touchdown that will bring about some of those hard conversations as Prukop missed the point-after (which should be a gimme). Missing that point-after would position the Ottawa Red Blacks within striking distance, where a field goal could now win the game.

Should be Liegghio that missed the point after.

Otherwise good article!

Donny C

Quote from: bluengold204 on June 14, 2022, 07:19:33 PM
Found a small error  :D

Quote from the article
Should be Liegghio that missed the point after.

Otherwise good article!

Thanks! I got that fixed!

Donny C

This one just got published. Feel free to read, and if you find mistakes, I'm more than happy to hear about them to fix them. (I can't afford a copy editor!)

https://cflnewshub.com/?p=11634&preview=true&_thumbnail_id=11641

Sec227

Donny C

DM83

Very Good!
As the article moved toward the middle, you seemed to get very comfortable and the story became more compelling.  The last paragraph raising questions about the next game was bang -on.

Just a comment, about a couple of the opening paragraphs......Were there a couple of "run - on" sentences?  I had to stop and re-read.  Just my opinion, and that coming from a butcher of grammar, spelling  and "run-on" sentences!!!

Congrats!  Keep up the good work!

Zach Schnitzer

Great work Don! Proud of you buddy. It's always tough to put yourself out there. To me though, you are a great voice of the fans, both literally and literarily LOL. Zach
#fortheW

jdrattops

Good job, but I believe Zac scrambled and made the shovel pass to Oliveria.

Donny C

Quote from: DM83 on June 15, 2022, 04:45:51 PM
Very Good!
As the article moved toward the middle, you seemed to get very comfortable and the story became more compelling.  The last paragraph raising questions about the next game was bang -on.

Just a comment, about a couple of the opening paragraphs......Were there a couple of "run - on" sentences?  I had to stop and re-read.  Just my opinion, and that coming from a butcher of grammar, spelling  and "run-on" sentences!!!

Congrats!  Keep up the good work!

Thanks for reading and for the insights! Much appreciated!

Donny C

Quote from: Zach Schnitzer on June 15, 2022, 05:32:22 PM
Great work Don! Proud of you buddy. It's always tough to put yourself out there. To me though, you are a great voice of the fans, both literally and literarily LOL. Zach

Thanks, buddy! Love the last part of your post!

Donny C

Quote from: jdrattops on June 15, 2022, 05:46:18 PM
Good job, but I believe Zac scrambled and made the shovel pass to Oliveria.

I'll have to find a chance and go back and check it out to edit. (Thanks for the heads up!)

GOLDMEMBER

Very good Dani! Feel free to ask me my 3 keys to the game in the future.

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 17, 2022, 06:13:11 PM
Very good Dani! Feel free to ask me my 3 keys to the game in the future.

For sure! What's your Twitter handle?

wpg#1

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Donny C

Donny C

GCn19

Already better than Hodge imo. Good job!
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

3rdand1.5

Improving by the article....nice to see guys like you and Zach really expanding on a hobby!

Donny C

Quote from: GCn19 on June 28, 2022, 05:29:53 PM
Already better than Hodge. Good job.

Well I don't know about that! My mom seems to like the articles, so that's something, lol!

Donny C

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on June 28, 2022, 05:30:56 PM
Improving by the article....nice to see guys like you and Zach really expanding on a hobby!

Thanks!

It's learning as I go.

Quite literally, I applied for the job, but they already had a Bomber guy. That guy dropped off. I got an email asking it I wanted to do it. Then I got an email with a user name, a password, and a 7 page document on how to use the publishing site. That's it.

GCn19

Keep'em coming Donny! Would be nice to have a CFL insider amongst us here, so start getting those press booth passes...lol
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Donny C

Quote from: GCn19 on June 29, 2022, 06:41:07 PM
Keep'em coming Donny! Would be nice to have a CFL insider amongst us here, so start getting those press booth passes...lol

Wouldn't that be cool! Out of my control, though.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on June 29, 2022, 08:42:24 PM
Wouldn't that be cool! Out of my control, though.
but it is! Keep plugging away boy!

bwiser

Quote from: Donny C on June 13, 2022, 06:51:06 PM
Hey all,

I'm going to be writing for CFL News Hub covering the Bombers.

I wrote my first article for CFL News Hub, so we will see when it?s published.

Lots of respect to those who wrote articles, it?s not as easy as it looks.

I?m sure it?s going to be a bit rough at first, so if you read, please extend some grace as I learn.
Maybe you should get Top Gun to help you. He knows more than anyone on this Forum and he played for the Bombers.lol

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: bwiser on June 29, 2022, 09:24:08 PM
Maybe you should get Top Gun to help you. He knows more than anyone on this Forum and he played for the Bombers.lol
do not listen to bwiser he is drinking to much bwiser  :D

Donny C

Tiger

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Donny C

Quote from: Tiger on July 03, 2022, 04:20:55 PM
I have been ready.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks for reading, and the encouragement!!

Zach Schnitzer

Whoah now you?re sounding like a pro. Way to go Don!
#fortheW

Donny C

Quote from: Zach Schnitzer on July 06, 2022, 02:19:55 AM
Whoah now you?re sounding like a pro. Way to go Don!

Thanks, Zach. Still learning how to piece it all together.

Donny C

I spent a few minutes re-writing the lyrics to Ice Ice Baby in honor of the Winnipeg Blue Bomber?s vanilla" offence. You can find it here.

https://www.facebook.com/donald.cruickshank.52/posts/pfbid02YrGQAJhJFVGNwYc5ydwUFGaLCwKJeoApTVnywCQcBtKeSW1fPFT86EPMgmiWMpe4l?__cft__
  • =AZV_Ai3yWntL9-LZAwacmzepWYkFufyMQSRfGx6fp_I83WDhGSvwVHXhY3hG94PcsLr7S9eYq-XI9XloC8DQLqEeautCDufbQS5vo1C2TOFMjJrg6C3I-kXkKdfXRlh0ZgORhjOU2HwKasA-1vC306hJ&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

This link will be in my next article.

Donny C

This one was fun to write! Make sure to hit the link at the bottom of the article to read the lyrics I came up with for Ice Ice Bombers.
https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/truth-bombs-you-can-put-toppings-on-vanilla-ice-cream-blue-bombers-beat-bc-lions-43-22/

Tiger

Maybe that can be the theme song for the Vanilla Bowl against BC
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Donny C

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on July 18, 2022, 01:32:47 AM
The Bombers Are Perfect?But They Aren?t (Calgary At Winnipeg Recap)

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/the-bombers-are-perfectbut-they-arent-calgary-at-winnipeg-recap/

nice Donny. Get Graftobian face paint. It is a powder you mix with solution then apply. It will not run! Mine did not with sealer applied. :)

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 18, 2022, 03:45:09 AM
nice Donny. Get Graftobian face paint. It is a powder you mix with solution then apply. It will not run! Mine did not with sealer applied. :)
I might have to do that!

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Truth Bombs: The Blue Bombers Are Not ?Just Getting Lucky?

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/truth-bombs-the-blue-bombers-are-not-just-getting-lucky/

Tell me if I got it all right, all wrong, or partially right.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on July 28, 2022, 04:59:31 PM
Truth Bombs: The Blue Bombers Are Not ?Just Getting Lucky?

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/truth-bombs-the-blue-bombers-are-not-just-getting-lucky/

Tell me if I got it all right, all wrong, or partially right.

You hit it out of the park Donny!!

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 28, 2022, 06:44:37 PM
You hit it out of the park Donny!!

Thanks, my friend!

By the way, when are we going to get you to do a 2 minute or less video for the Fan's 3 Keys To The Game?

Donny C

It's game day!

Here is my preview of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs the Calgary Stampeders!

Some bold predictions in this one!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/winnipeg-blue-bombers-at-calgary-stampeders-week-8-preview-and-predictions/

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Donny C on July 30, 2022, 03:15:44 PM
It's game day!

Here is my preview of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs the Calgary Stampeders!

Some bold predictions in this one!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/winnipeg-blue-bombers-at-calgary-stampeders-week-8-preview-and-predictions/
yep....that was bold alright.....here's hoping you're spot on!
Bomber fan for life

Donny C

Wow! What a game! Here's my take on the game as well as some end of game blunders!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/bombers-saddle-up-and-ride-out-of-calgary-8-0/

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Donny C on July 31, 2022, 08:54:46 PM
Wow! What a game! Here's my take on the game as well as some end of game blunders!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/bombers-saddle-up-and-ride-out-of-calgary-8-0/
didn't see the whole BLM clip as I don't use Twitter....but the quote in writing only stated they need to keep their heads up as they prepare for a road game to Ottawa.    Calgary gave it their best shot and the Bombers simply played better football and were the best team.....that coming with 6 regular impact players injured and coming off a short week against Edmonton!!    Best game of the season so far IMHO and we'll likely see more of the same between these two teams in their 3rd tilt!
Bomber fan for life

Donny C

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 31, 2022, 09:16:43 PM
didn't see the whole BLM clip as I don't use Twitter....but the quote in writing only stated they need to keep their heads up as they prepare for a road game to Ottawa.    Calgary gave it their best shot and the Bombers simply played better football and were the best team.....that coming with 6 regular impact players injured and coming off a short week against Edmonton!!    Best game of the season so far IMHO and we'll likely see more of the same between these two teams in their 3rd tilt!

You should be able to watch a Twitter video without having a Twitter account, I believe.

I agree, best game of the season so far!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on July 31, 2022, 09:42:40 PM
You should be able to watch a Twitter video without having a Twitter account, I believe.

I agree, best game of the season so far!
what did Mitchell say post game that got your panties in knots?

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 31, 2022, 10:06:16 PM
what did Mitchell say post game that got your panties in knots?

"I've beat this team a million times," and stuff like "we are going to be better than them at the end of the season," (maybe not word for word.)

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on July 31, 2022, 10:18:26 PM
"I've beat this team a million times," and stuff like "we are going to be better than them at the end of the season," (maybe not word for word.)
he will always be a doosh!

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 31, 2022, 10:23:29 PM
he will always be a doosh!

I met him in person at the 2021 CFL Awards show, after the show at the mixer, and nothing like what I see when he does interviews. Really a nice, decent guy, that doesn't come off as arrogant.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on July 31, 2022, 10:27:51 PM
I met him in person at the 2021 CFL Awards show, after the show at the mixer, and nothing like what I see when he does interviews. Really a nice, decent guy, that doesn't come off as arrogant.
interesting because he shoots his mouth off like an *** hat in the media. Oh well bring on the extra motivation!

Donny C

Game-Balls & Jocks ? Who Stuck Out For Right/Wrong Reasons: CFL Week 8 Winnipeg At Calgary

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/who-stuck-out-cfl-week-8-winnipeg-calgary/

Donny C

Here are my thoughts and predictions. There are some bold predictions here!

What do you think I got right, what do you think I got wrong?

The Bombers Look To Pluck Win Out Of Alouettes ? Winnipeg At Montreal Preview & Predictions

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/the-bombers-look-to-pluck-win-out-of-alouettes-winnipeg-at-montreal-preview-predictions/

Donny C

Game-Balls & Jocks ? Who Stuck Out For Right/Wrong Reasons: CFL Week 9 Winnipeg At Montreal

Tell me what I got right and what I got wrong!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/game-balls-jocks-who-stuck-out-for-right-wrong-reasons-cfl-week-9-winnipeg-at-montreal/

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Truth Bombs: CFL Week 10 Montreal Celebrated Mediocrity & Winnipeg Going For the Field Goal Was 100% The Correct Decision!

My take on it.

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/truth-bombs-cfl-week-10-montreal-celebrated-mediocrity-winnipeg-going-for-the-field-goal-was-100-the-correct-decision/

Donny C

Looking for someone to do the Fan?s 3 Keys To The Game this week for my
@CFLNewsHub
article!

Please do it as a video, 2 minutes or less.

If you have Twitter post it and let me know your Twitter handle.

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Norm W

Swing and a miss... but take comfort in the fact that virtually everybody got it wrong this weekend. The underdogs ruled league wide. Hamilton came into the game prepared after the bye, that's normally what happens and well Winnipeg unfortunately was looking forward to time off and it seems the defense started the bye week a little too soon.   
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

TheDeuce

Hey Donny!

Interested in a historical angle for your next article?  How about the questionable playoff record of CFL teams that have won 15+ games in the regular season?

There?s been some bad mojo associated with 15+ win teams over the years.

2019 TiCats.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Winnipeg.
2016 Stamps.  15-2-1.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Ottawa.
2009 Alouettes.  15-3.  Won the Grey Cup but needed the infamous ?too many men? penalty to do it.
1995 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Baltimore (who were also 15-3 to be fair).
1994 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to BC in the Western Final.
1993 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to Edmonton in the West Final.
1989 Eskimos.  16-2.  Lost to Saskatchewan in the West Final. 

Since the League went to an 18 game regular season the only 15+ win teams to hoist the Cup were the 1996 Argos, the 1997 Argos, the 2009 Alouettes (barely), and the 2014 Stamps.  In other words, CFL teams with 15+ win seasons are a questionable 4-6 in winning the Grey Cup since the League went to an 18 game regular season.

No Bomber fan should be thinking the threepeat is a given ? I sure as heck am not.  Given the history of 15+ win teams I?m wondering what kind of odds the bookmakers will be offering on the Bombers opponents.  Might have to invest in some Happiness Insurance.

That bad history is why I'm thinking a key to the game for the Bombers this weekend will be to dominate early and not let up.  Score early, score often, smother the Lions' offence, and have the game firmly in hand by the end of the third quarter - or earlier.  If this thing comes down to a last second field goal for the Bombers win I have no doubt that the winds of history will push that football wide left.

Thoughts?

m.
I went to the vet with my goldfish.
"I think it's got epilepsy" I says.
The vet takes a look & says, "It seems calm enough to me."

Stupid vet - I hadn't taken it out of the bowl yet.

TheDeuce

And why do my hyphens and apostrophes show up as question marks on this forum?  Voodoo?  :D

m.

Donny C

Quote from: TheDeuce on November 10, 2022, 03:24:05 PM
Hey Donny!

Interested in a historical angle for your next article?  How about the questionable playoff record of CFL teams that have won 15+ games in the regular season?

There?s been some bad mojo associated with 15+ win teams over the years.

2019 TiCats.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Winnipeg.
2016 Stamps.  15-2-1.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Ottawa.
2009 Alouettes.  15-3.  Won the Grey Cup but needed the infamous ?too many men? penalty to do it.
1995 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Baltimore (who were also 15-3 to be fair).
1994 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to BC in the Western Final.
1993 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to Edmonton in the West Final.
1989 Eskimos.  16-2.  Lost to Saskatchewan in the West Final. 

Since the League went to an 18 game regular season the only 15+ win teams to hoist the Cup were the 1996 Argos, the 1997 Argos, the 2009 Alouettes (barely), and the 2014 Stamps.  In other words, CFL teams with 15+ win seasons are a questionable 4-6 in winning the Grey Cup since the League went to an 18 game regular season.

No Bomber fan should be thinking the threepeat is a given ? I sure as heck am not.  Given the history of 15+ win teams I?m wondering what kind of odds the bookmakers will be offering on the Bombers opponents.  Might have to invest in some Happiness Insurance.

That bad history is why I'm thinking a key to the game for the Bombers this weekend will be to dominate early and not let up.  Score early, score often, smother the Lions' offence, and have the game firmly in hand by the end of the third quarter - or earlier.  If this thing comes down to a last second field goal for the Bombers win I have no doubt that the winds of history will push that football wide left.

Thoughts?

m.

Thanks! That will be in the end of season article (hopefully after a Grey  Cup Win).

I am not superstitious, but I learned my lesson.

I wrote about achieving 400 home wins, and they lost.

Since then I have purposely avoided mentioning any of these milestones.

Donny C

I?ve teased all week about talking with a BC Lions  insider, find out who in this article.

Who Will Win The Western Final? Bombers vs Lions!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/who-will-win-the-western-final-bombers-vs-lions/

Donny C

TheDeuce

Quote from: TheDeuce on November 10, 2022, 03:24:05 PM
If this thing comes down to a last second field goal for the Bombers win I have no doubt that the winds of history will push that football wide left.

Thoughts?

m.

Ahem.

I didn't bet enough for the happiness insurance to provide any real happiness. 

m.

Donny C

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on November 24, 2022, 10:50:27 PM
The One That Got Away: Bombers Lose 109 Grey Cup ? A Fish Story For The Ages!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/the-one-that-got-away-bombers-lose-109-grey-cup-a-fish-story-for-the-ages/
To early to late wanna revisit Donny. Your article just brings up the huge disappointment to much man! I cannot take it anymore. Nice to see you so many times Mr HorseVoiceman  ;) :D

Donny C

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 25, 2022, 02:19:48 AM
To early to late wanna revisit Donny. Your article just brings up the huge disappointment to much man! I cannot take it anymore. Nice to see you so many times Mr HorseVoiceman  ;) :D

LOL! The voice is back!

You may appreciate some of my other upcoming articles.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Donny C on November 25, 2022, 10:31:41 PM
LOL! The voice is back!

You may appreciate some of my other upcoming articles.
oh nice!

Donny C