Blue Bombers Forum
May 22, 2022, 07:22:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Zach is back  (Read 3200 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2022, 01:01:28 AM »

I agree, best retain Harris/Brady combo. at reasonable salaries and let Johnny go elsewhere to maximize his pay day, I don't think he will get a fair shake in Wpg. playing second fiddle to Brady anyways. 

This allows Harris to pursue his records and go out in the grand style he deserves, instead of shunting him out the side door like they did to Dressler.  It also accommodates a transition to a younger RB while passing on his work ethic and experience to Brady.

Could be how it plays out. I think there is also a possible scenario where Harris could retire or not be signed and both Olivera and Augustine come back as a 1A and 1B.

A lesser role my sound tempting for Harris but keep in mind he didn't even make it through training camp last year. Another year older doesn't make things any better.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:03:29 AM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2022, 03:05:42 AM »

I wouldn't mind getting paid $100k to work for 1/2 a year.

"Work"  for 1/2 year?  Its football...  yes, there is "work" to pro football, but it is still a game, and no one plays pro ball who doesn't still love the game... especially a guy like Harris...

Pro football is the best "job" a guy that loves to play football can get...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2022, 04:24:25 AM »

"Work"  for 1/2 year?  Its football...  yes, there is "work" to pro football, but it is still a game, and no one plays pro ball who doesn't still love the game... especially a guy like Harris...

Yes it is but it requires a lot of self discipline and dedication to be physically ready to play.....and the intense desire to play hard ball.   You also have to be mentally tough because the competition is fierce and there's always someone after your job.    It's not for the faint of heart either because those guys really put a hurt on each other out there.....Ie Alexander, Stove, Biggie, the two JJs etc etc. 
These guys are amazingly gifted, talented, driven, disciplined, dedicated and most of all they just love playing football!   It it was so easy we'd all be doing it!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:52:59 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Jesse

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2022, 04:38:38 AM »

Sorry aards, but that may be one of the most disrespectful things that?s been said on this forum.

You always champion these guys and their character, but then try to turn around and say it?s not work? The ?game? is 60 minutes, 18 times a year. The work is the other 340 days a year.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2022, 05:35:16 AM »

Football as a career is very limited and, for most in the sport, very short-lived unless the fortunate few get coaching or management positions after their playing days are over.

Football is a game for which a very few aspiring players make it to a point where they even get get paid for the experience.

Football is generally not a job you take on part time (especially professional football).  You are in training year round to prepare for the season. 

Football is temporary and players need to have a career after football unless they have made very significant dollars while playing the game (i.e. a rest-of-your-life job).

The odds are against anyone who believes that professional football or any professional sports is their future.

All of the above are facts IMHO.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:43:49 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
theaardvark

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2022, 05:38:22 AM »

Sorry aards, but that may be one of the most disrespectful things that?s been said on this forum.

You always champion these guys and their character, but then try to turn around and say it?s not work? The ?game? is 60 minutes, 18 times a year. The work is the other 340 days a year.

Never said it isn't "work", it definitely is, and hard work.  But the end result of the hours of "work" you put in is getting to play a game you love.  How many people get that in their lives?  

Watch the GC celebration, and the days, weeks, months after with the Cup... that wasn't the job they celebrate, but the game...

Best "job" ever...

Who would ever turn down such an opportunity?  Up until TV contracts showed up, and $100 game tickets became a norm, players played for almost nothing, and loved doing so.  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2022, 05:38:40 AM »

No one has mentioned yet: Zach has taken a lot of hits and smashed down hard on the turf many times in 2021.  Especially the playoffs/GC.  He took way more hits in the post-season than I think anyone wanted to see.  That HAM DL was crushing our OL for much of the GC.

But Zach bounced up every time.  Unphased.  Kept truckin'.  The cameras didn't even show many of the hits on him (because he got the ball out), but you can see them in the corner of the screen sometimes.

While OL needs to keep him clean every game, I don't think he's the "one hit away from doom" fragile-Zach that left SSK.  I think he's at least as stout as R.Ray was in his last year; probably even more, and no one worried about Ray.  Zach has been packing on the muscle and beefing up and looked awesome to start 2021.  I think it really helped.

My point is, I don't think we have to think of him as "Fragile Zach" anymore, like everyone did in 2018 and (early) 2019.  (But we still need to keep him clean, hoggies!!)

Never go full Rider!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »

Never said it isn't "work", it definitely is, and hard work.  But the end result of the hours of "work" you put in is getting to play a game you love.  How many people get that in their lives?  

Watch the GC celebration, and the days, weeks, months after with the Cup... that wasn't the job they celebrate, but the game...

Best "job" ever...

Who would ever turn down such an opportunity?  Up until TV contracts showed up, and $100 game tickets became a norm, players played for almost nothing, and loved doing so.

Doing a job you love is perhaps not as rare as your world view would lead you to believe. Lots of people are doing really cool things in many different fields and industries. Maybe not a ton of people get to say they are pro football players but the job (especially in the CFL) certainly comes with major sacrifices that aren't always offset by significant financial gain like NFL players.

The reality is the CFL is an all year round job for athletes except many of them have to work an off-season side gig while putting in the work to keep them in shape for next season (along with rehabbing injuries sustained over the campaign).

You always look at everything through your blue tinted goggles and when this discussion comes up you put on several of them at once.

the paw

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »

Best "job" ever...

When you place the words work and job in quotation marks, you are saying that you don't consider it real work or a real job.  That is commonly understood usage in context.  The fact that you continue to do so repeatedly, while insisting you recognize it is hard work.

You take these ridiculous booster cliches, try to spin them literally, and the when someone points it out you double down through repetition.  Its annoying as hell...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:03:17 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2022, 09:48:35 PM »

No one has mentioned yet: Zach has taken a lot of hits and smashed down hard on the turf many times in 2021.  Especially the playoffs/GC.  He took way more hits in the post-season than I think anyone wanted to see.  That HAM DL was crushing our OL for much of the GC.

But Zach bounced up every time.  Unphased.  Kept truckin'.  The cameras didn't even show many of the hits on him (because he got the ball out), but you can see them in the corner of the screen sometimes.

While OL needs to keep him clean every game, I don't think he's the "one hit away from doom" fragile-Zach that left SSK.  I think he's at least as stout as R.Ray was in his last year; probably even more, and no one worried about Ray.  Zach has been packing on the muscle and beefing up and looked awesome to start 2021.  I think it really helped.

My point is, I don't think we have to think of him as "Fragile Zach" anymore, like everyone did in 2018 and (early) 2019.  (But we still need to keep him clean, hoggies!!)

I have to admit that I used to hold my breath when he joined us in 2019.    That was not the case last season as he played every game and I have gotten over worrying about whether the next hit will take Zach out.   As you say he seems to have packed on some muscle and is looking quite buff these days.    He  still has a ton of game left in him.....however that being said, we want to keep him upright on every play.   

pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2022, 11:14:49 PM »

He will go down as one of the best QBs in Bomber recent history I hope (especially if the cups keep coming!).  He won't have the most games or best stats but this story is just magic.  Sure hope he can stay healthy.  Earned every penny.

Aards you were a little off base with your "work" comment
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:17:48 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2022, 12:08:39 AM »

He will go down as one of the best QBs in Bomber recent history I hope (especially if the cups keep coming!).  He won't have the most games or best stats but this story is just magic.  Sure hope he can stay healthy.  Earned every penny.

Aards you were a little off base with your "work" comment
as for stats, I'd rather take the Cups that Kenny Ploen won over his stats any day.    A'

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: