Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2022, 10:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Zach is back  (Read 3268 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »

It's a great signing, but we also need a backup. 18 games is a long year, another 2 or 3 games to win the cup. We need to fine a backup and the guys we had last year just aren't good enough to win games even with the D we had. Love to see Strev. in Blue and Gold again.

I think Strev. is now a pipe dream unless he's willing to apprentice for McGuire's money.  Like it or lump it it looks like they stick with McGuire or go with a newcomer they bring to TC.  Another year of crossing fingers hoping Zach stays healthy.
Jesse

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2022, 05:28:07 PM »

Fair enough....I just didn't like your wording and I get what you're saying and I agree.   I knew we would be obliged to pay him more and that of course means less $$ to spread around for signing other key players yet to be signed.    I was hoping we could pick up a better #2 QB however, that may now be a pipe dream.    McGuire will likely be on deck once again and I hope he isn't forced into action as I didn't see much potential in him to ever develop into a starter.   Perhaps I may be wrong about him developing further but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
There is still work to be done for Mr. Walters, however I'm confident he will continue to secure more key players and give the Bombers a good chance at another winning season.
The next big question mark will be Andrew Harris.....will he stay and play and if he does at what cost?   We haven't been in this good a position for decades and our future as a contender looks very bright.

Yeah, obviously more than one person read "not a value" and took that to mean "not worth it" - but it more means that we paid the retail price and didn't get a discount. I think that's fair to say.

The 600-700 contracts that Harris/Reilly/Mitchell got are off the table. They were tried for one season - broke their respective teams and were immediately renegotiated. And the salary cap is less than it was at that time (likely).

550 is honestly higher than I would pay any QB. And even though ZC is the best QB in the league right now - he's not playing like the best QB that has ever played in the CFL - so ideally we wouldn't be paying him at that level.

But here we are. Our QB is back and even if his contract is not 100% ideal, it's 85% ideal.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »

Yeah, obviously more than one person read "not a value" and took that to mean "not worth it" - but it more means that we paid the retail price and didn't get a discount. I think that's fair to say.

The 600-700 contracts that Harris/Reilly/Mitchell got are off the table. They were tried for one season - broke their respective teams and were immediately renegotiated. And the salary cap is less than it was at that time (likely).

550 is honestly higher than I would pay any QB. And even though ZC is the best QB in the league right now - he's not playing like the best QB that has ever played in the CFL - so ideally we wouldn't be paying him at that level.

But here we are. Our QB is back and even if his contract is not 100% ideal, it's 85% ideal.

For the health of the league I would like to see QB salaries fall back below $500,000, but this is only a one year contract so there is hope of a correction in the future.  Cojardo's contract is still out of line for the service he provides, so hopefully O'Day resets the tone before the start of this season.  Reilly and BLM are done setting the high bar for QB salaries, hopefully sense prevails among GMs not to let it get out of hand again.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »

I think the CFL needs to get new revenue sources other than attendance and TSN... be creative or else the league will fold. 
bluengold204

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 06:17:11 PM »

The overall amount spent to re-sign those two players is quite a good value in total. IMO Bighill is now under paid and that is unfortunate. It will be a while to understand what this might have cost us across the rest of the roster though.

A. Harris comes to mind if we plan on keeping Oliveria and / or Augustine moving forward. I'd like all 3 back but financially that's a big issue starting with what the plan for Harris turns out to be.

IMO it?s time to drop Harris and use that money elsewhere.  Oliveria/Augustine can handle the work just as well for cheaper.  Question is if one of them is willing to accept backup role for a 3rd season.
Blue In BC

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »

Bighill is happy with his contract, and knows that any $$$ he did not get will be spent on making the team better.  So I don't understand how that is "unfortnate".  He has a full time post football gig already, this is bonus.  Harkens back to the days when every sports player had a "real job".  Not sure if AH33 has a side gig as of yet, and whether that would figure into what he will need in a contract...

Because he's the best MLB in the CFL and not being paid as such. Great for the team that he choose that reasoning but it's still unfortunate that we couldn't pay him what he's worth.

Many CFL players have side gigs

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 06:24:32 PM »

IMO it?s time to drop Harris and use that money elsewhere.  Oliveria/Augustine can handle the work just as well for cheaper.  Question is if one of them is willing to accept backup role for a 3rd season.

I'm on the fence about Harris. He's been so valuable but the " time " to move forward comes with every player. That's both a financial and playing time issue. In a perfect world I'd like him to take less money and less reps. OTOH, it's difficult to draw a line in the sand about his worth to the team.

At the moment this decision may or may not be totally in the team's hands. Oliveria and / or Augustine may choose to move for a clearer path of more money and starting elsewhere. The catch is not every team is willing to start a ratio breaker at RB. Generally means you need another Canadian RB to back up.

Then we have Borsa coming to TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »

I'm on the fence about Harris. He's been so valuable but the " time " to move forward comes with every player. That's both a financial and playing time issue. In a perfect world I'd like him to take less money and less reps. OTOH, it's difficult to draw a line in the sand about his worth to the team.

At the moment this decision may or may not be totally in the team's hands. Oliveria and / or Augustine may choose to move for a clearer path of more money and starting elsewhere. The catch is not every team is willing to start a ratio breaker at RB. Generally means you need another Canadian RB to back up.

Then we have Borsa coming to TC.

Right there with you.

Last year at this time, I was convinced that we'd actually be better off with Brady and Johnny, but man did we miss him when he was gone to start the year (mind you, I expected Johnny to get a lot more reps than we gave him - he deserved better, imo).

A healthy Harris was clearly out best option - but how often is he gonna be healthy and how much do we pay him for the uncertainty?

The lure of the threepeat is probably drawing him in, but the unknowns make it difficult.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2022, 07:12:56 PM »

Whether it's here or another team I believe AH33 will play in the CFL this year. It's going to come down to $$. I also think if we sign AH33, either JA27, or BO20 end up in Ottawa.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:15:06 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Jesse

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2022, 07:15:22 PM »

Whether it's here or another team I believe AH33 will play in the CFL this year. It's going to all come down to $$. I also think if we sign AH33, either JA27, or BO20 end up in Ottawa.

That's ******* blasphemy.

I agree that if there's an odd man out (Johnny may walk no matter what), there's a good chance Lapo brings them in.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2022, 07:33:41 PM »

Whether it's here or another team I believe AH33 will play in the CFL this year. It's going to come down to $$. I also think if we sign AH33, either JA27, or BO20 end up in Ottawa.

I agree, best retain Harris/Brady combo. at reasonable salaries and let Johnny go elsewhere to maximize his pay day, I don't think he will get a fair shake in Wpg. playing second fiddle to Brady anyways. 

This allows Harris to pursue his records and go out in the grand style he deserves, instead of shunting him out the side door like they did to Dressler.  It also accommodates a transition to a younger RB while passing on his work ethic and experience to Brady.
blue_or_die

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2022, 08:03:21 PM »

My prediction is AH takes 100K and plays a lesser role. He won't be called a backup but he will take 60% of the load somedays, 40% others, and 0% other days. He's got a gig he can focus on that will bring his total compensation right up there and can play for stats and a fourth ring before hanging them up.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2022, 08:13:35 PM »

Because he's the best MLB in the CFL and not being paid as such. Great for the team that he choose that reasoning but it's still unfortunate that we couldn't pay him what he's worth.

Many CFL players have side gigs

In Biggies case, pretty sure the CFL is his side gig now...

It is very fortunate that he found the new career here that allows him to be gracious in his salary needs, and allows for us to have a premiere MLB at a great price.  Still, $160k is nothing to sneeze at by CFL standards...

Every other team's fans are going to cry foul, saying that he's getting paid under the table by the Bombers.  In the past, other teams have found ways to circumvent SMS rules by paying spouses, or having off the books practice rosters.  I think our team is above this kind of tomfoolery, and just lucky that a premier player happens to fit with a local business in a way that allows him to earn, plus play.  That $50k or so we save on Biggie brings ZC8's deal down to a reasonable half mil, averaged...  and I'm OK with that...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2022, 09:18:35 PM »

My prediction is AH takes 100K and plays a lesser role. He won't be called a backup but he will take 60% of the load somedays, 40% others, and 0% other days. He's got a gig he can focus on that will bring his total compensation right up there and can play for stats and a fourth ring before hanging them up.

$100K for a 1/2 year of work, plus playoff money not a bad deal.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Cool Spot

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2022, 11:58:54 PM »

$100K for a 1/2 year of work, plus playoff money not a bad deal.

I wouldn't mind getting paid $100k to work for 1/2 a year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: