Blue Bombers Forum
December 08, 2022, 06:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the team merch ever going to get any better?  (Read 1986 times)
Mike

« on: January 17, 2022, 09:56:12 PM »

Long time no see! Seriously though, how is it that we?ve become a top tier organization in almost every single aspect across the board and our merch selection is still so abysmal?

My wife and I just received our Grey Cup hoodies, we ordered the exact same one in different sizes and they are literally two different colours. Every other team seems to have merch I would be proud to wear as a fan and we just recycle the same poorly designed, cheap junk every single year. The last couple years until 2021, there were at least a few things that stood out as well made but I think I walked through the Bomber Store 5 times this year and not once did I see anything other than your run of the mill low budget junk with a template design or a heat pressed logo that looks like it?s going to fall off the first time through the wash. I wanted to at least buy a hoodie, but apparently the tinting on anything bigger than a large just comes out faded from their supplier, according to the woman at the store so for $70, I can get a sweater that doesn?t even match our team colours.  Cheesy

Is there any plans for some good quality merchandise in the future or are we forever sentenced to choosing from options straight from the Giant Tiger collection as Bomber fans  Cry
Jesse

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 11:37:59 PM »

First of all, that sucks to hear.

There's some cool items that come out here and there, but  I agree. All merch we have is the same stuff you can buy with any other teams' logo on it. Nothing original.

I'm assuming it's a league/sponsor thing, not a WBB thing, but I could be wrong.

All that said, you've gone from valuable member of this forum to coming on here for that first time in YEARS just to complain about merch? Wouldn't an email straight to the source be more effective?

My wife is amazing!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »

I don't know, I'm always pretty happy with the merch I buy.

Heck, the Buzz & Boomer stuffies I bought for my kid (now kids) have survived at least 4 years of abuse by kids aged 0 to 7.  That's saying something.  I thought those things would get destroyed on day 1, as they look wimpy.  (I will whinge that they were severely overpriced, though!)

I literally wear Bomber tops every other day (some are my pjs).  My '19 GC mug, the one with the "WINS" "LOSES" record (hehehe) text on it, feeds me tea a couple of times a week.

I was sceptical of the New Era switch but now that I have both Reebok and NE jerseys, I must say those NE ones are pretty darn nice.

I guess WFC's store still sucks compared to SSK's massive selection, but hey, ours doesn't have that horrible green on it!!  Winning.  YMMV.

Never go full Rider!
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »

Could it be supply chain/procurement issues related to the pandemic? I remember the GC107 merch being a lot nicer.

To add, I was in the Bomber Store just before Christmas and the selection of merch was more or less meh. Lots of the same stuff, generic designs, and inconsistent colours. One t-shirt was the perfect royal blue but then another was considerably lighter and didn't look right at all.

Needless to say, I didn't buy anything save two GC108 high ball glasses. It was disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:36:32 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
Sec227

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 02:10:01 PM »

I think Mike makes valid point. And there is an appetite for some way better quality merch. And the fans will pay for it. There's nothing wrong with the Giant Tiger shirts for cutting the grass or washing the car. But, on game day, or at the game. You want to show off with pride the team colors. GT shirts don't cut it. Part of is the issue always goes back to brand. This is a CFL issue. The "W" logo etc is strong. But its hard to get for example a "biggee" shirt or someone else. Build that into a marketing thing. If the CFL keeps doing one year contracts. Why heck spend $$ on something that's gone in a few years.

I for one this year spent heavy on the decent stuff. $90 hoodie, $85 sideline pullover. No stick on logos. No peoples names. Just the W. The hoodies I got at the bomber store feels and looks way better the the 19.99 you get at GT lol. And its going to last.
turtlefan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:29:44 PM »

Hey,

I don't usually post but Mike really struck a cord with me. I have been extremely frustrated with the lack of merchandise the the Blue. A number of years ago I wanted to buy myself a leather jacket and there wasn't anything I could find at the bomber store. I ended up buying a jets jacket. I have also looked for pajama bottoms and other assorted items and come um empty. I did find some pajama bottoms at Walmart that I bought.

Don't understand how our merchandising has been so bad.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 02:59:04 PM »

My 2 cents... I have purchased a ton of stuff in years past..Jeff Bannon era...maybe dating myself... selection was good designs were fresh quality seemed good, of course on the pricier side for what it was but that's all official team gear. I have been through the store the last few years and other than a few Lucky Lightning T-shirts I haven't bought anything. I agree with Mike that I don't mind spending extra but the selection, quality control and designs have really decreased.

My wife had just commented similar to this as over Christmas, neither of us bought each other anything from the official store Bomber...first time a while....I did get a Mike Nguyen print though so it wasn't all non Bombers!
Mike

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »

First of all, that sucks to hear.

There's some cool items that come out here and there, but  I agree. All merch we have is the same stuff you can buy with any other teams' logo on it. Nothing original.

I'm assuming it's a league/sponsor thing, not a WBB thing, but I could be wrong.

All that said, you've gone from valuable member of this forum to coming on here for that first time in YEARS just to complain about merch? Wouldn't an email straight to the source be more effective?

I wanted to know if it was just me who thought this. Apparently it is not. Plus, I love to cause trouble for ModAdmin.  Kiss
Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 05:58:51 PM »

My 2 cents... I have purchased a ton of stuff in years past..Jeff Bannon era...maybe dating myself... selection was good designs were fresh quality seemed good, of course on the pricier side for what it was but that's all official team gear. I have been through the store the last few years and other than a few Lucky Lightning T-shirts I haven't bought anything. I agree with Mike that I don't mind spending extra but the selection, quality control and designs have really decreased.

My wife had just commented similar to this as over Christmas, neither of us bought each other anything from the official store Bomber...first time a while....I did get a Mike Nguyen print though so it wasn't all non Bombers!

Jeff Bannon leaving definitely seems to fit the timeline. Merch has been mostly crap since then.
blue_or_die

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 06:30:17 PM »

Hi Mike, nice to hear from you again.

I agree with you solidly on 50% of what you're saying and disagree on the other 50%.

My thoughts:

- On the trinkets and accessories, I agree it is super disappointing and there are sooooo many great ideas that can be done to change it up and also make of a higher quality

- That said, a few things are well done and have withstood the test of time. I loved the neighbourhood flag concept and have mine displayed proud and have for years (minus a little expected sun fade). I also love my GC107 champs 'beer stein' that has survived shenanigans and many rounds in the dishwasher without so much as a scratch

- The lower priced clothing is absolute garbage. The colours are wrong or inconsistent at best and the logo is messed after a few times in the washing machine. Worst part is, the fit poorly. They hang off of you like a cheap rag. Still, I am cheap and have bought so many because I have a difficult time justifying $50 for a tshirt. Still, it is very important for marketing that the Bombers are able to reach out to a wide variety of people and having options at an acceptable price plays a big part of that. For that though, and I kid you not, the Bomber stuff you can find at Walmart and Giant Tiger actually is way better.

- The high end stuff is amazing. Those ~$45 shirts I mentioned above? Finally went all out and bought 3 + 1 GC108 champs one and all are mint. High quality, fit great, still look 100% after many times in the laundry. I also have a GC107 hoodie and the quality is incredible. No fade and deteriorating logo.

So IMO it's very 50/50 but the areas of weakness should really be improved. Where it's good, it's good. Kinda weird that you have different experiences altogether with e.g. the hoodies?

Anyway, good to bring this up and offer constructive criticism. We are the class of the league and we should be able to easily show it with our still-shiny 'new' store.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 10:51:09 PM »

I am pretty sure if you are unhappy with ANY Bomber merch, if you make your concvern known, they will do everything they can to make it right....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Mike

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 01:44:35 AM »

I am pretty sure if you are unhappy with ANY Bomber merch, if you make your concvern known, they will do everything they can to make it right....

Hi. I was already told I can get a refund.

I know they?ll make it right, my concern is moreso why is it acceptable that our awesome franchise has total dog turd merch
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 03:36:24 AM »

Agree that CFL lacks some serious marketing and promotion.  Seems like the CFL has zero marketing department.  If they want to attract young fans to keep this league going for another century, they better start now.
DM83

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 12:20:39 PM »

The league has no money,and,a decreasing fan base, so how can they entice major companies.   I mean many of you, admit u would rather shop at Giant tiger.  You're smart. 

Clothing at other stadiums is priced through the roof.  A golf shirt now sells for over $75.00.  Stupid price. But that's 2022.

Buying a cheap t shirt at Walmart is probably a good decision. In some cases they last a decade.plus you don't mind spending $19.99.

In the states, Walmart offers the same deal only they are sometimes $9.99, of course that is NFL.
It seems many of the previous posts show Bomber fans are smart shoppers.

I also support posters that state a Grey cup champs shirt is a collectors item, and the price of one of those is worth it.

At least a couple years ago it was good merchandise in the Bomber Store.  At least some of the western teams have good fan bases.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 01:36:18 PM »

I have bought or been gifted a ton of Bombers merch (mostly clothing) over the years. I can't say I've had too much trouble. I seem to recall once upon a time everything fitting like a box but now the fits are a lot more athletic which is nice. I haven't bought any Grey Cup stuff from the latest win but I have a couple hoodies from the 2019 victory and everything seems to be holding up. Personally, I wouldn't say the clothing is any cheaper than what you would find at a usual box store or fast fashion place or whatever. It's not Harry Rosen quality to be sure but it seems fine? Not exceptional or anything but certainly passable for what I would consider acceptable, if that makes any sense.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: