Blue Bombers Forum
May 19, 2022, 05:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers extend contract of Canadian linebacker Jesse Briggs  (Read 559 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: January 16, 2022, 04:59:40 PM »

Blue Bombers extend contract of Canadian linebacker Jesse Briggs

WINNIPEG, MB., January 16, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract extension with Canadian linebacker Jesse Briggs who was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

Briggs (6-1, 207; McGill University; born: April 14, 1990, in Kelowna, BC) returns to the Blue Bombers for a seventh season with the club in 2022.

A second-round selection by the Blue Bombers in the 2014 CFL Draft, Briggs has suited up for 104 regular season games with Winnipeg, ranking him behind only Jake Thomas (150) as the longest-serving member in terms of games played with the team.

His 2021 season was his best statistically. Working in a defensive rotation at linebacker, he finished with 24 tackles and five more on special teams while adding a forced fumble and an 83-yard fumble-return touchdown in a game in Toronto on August 21st. That was the first TD in Briggs' professional career.

Briggs has made 62 special teams tackles in his 104 games with the Blue Bombers. In 2013, his final year at McGill, Briggs won the Friends of McGill Football Trophy as the team?s most outstanding defensive player

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
the paw

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 05:33:06 PM »

Good for him.  He was very steady for us in the early going this year.  I like to see the team show loyalty to long time veterans.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 05:40:13 PM »

After losing Kongbo we need players like Briggs which can rotate on defence when needed. He's a better than average Canadian back up player and plays well when needed.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 12:07:07 AM »

Some folks thought we might move on but I knew we would bring him back.  Killer depth guy.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pigskin

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 06:21:07 AM »

Nice to have JB34 returning for his 7th season with the Bombers.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:41:03 PM »

Some folks thought we might move on but I knew we would bring him back.  Killer depth guy.

CFL rosters change every season for a multitude of reasons: Age, SMS, performance, players desire to move elsewhere. Every team will lose good players during the off season.

After 2019 we lost Canadian players: Peterman, Spooner, Exume, D. Jones, Hecht, Calver, Lalama, Miles and Rempel to name a few. Some were very good players, MIles and Rempel in particular.

To think we won't lose other good players is not realistic. Status quo is not always a good thing or possible.

Who we draft and at what position remains to be seen. Who we lose or gain in free agency remains to be seen. The more we do lose, the more we'll want to retain those veteran players.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:49:42 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TecnoGenius

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »

Getting older, but 2021 might have been his best year yet?  Many downs at LB, and didn't he start a couple?  He does his job well, and you often don't notice he's subbing in.  Good on ST.  Seems to have a high football IQ, which is probably why The Mafia is keeping him on so long even with the younger guys around.

I think I recall him screwing up badly at LB maybe only once or twice in '21.  That's pretty darn good for "just a NAT LBer".  I was sad to see Miles go (and no one pick him up), but Briggs was probably the better choice with a few extra years left.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 01:00:28 PM »

Getting older, but 2021 might have been his best year yet?  Many downs at LB, and didn't he start a couple?  He does his job well, and you often don't notice he's subbing in.  Good on ST.  Seems to have a high football IQ, which is probably why The Mafia is keeping him on so long even with the younger guys around.

I think I recall him screwing up badly at LB maybe only once or twice in '21.  That's pretty darn good for "just a NAT LBer".  I was sad to see Miles go (and no one pick him up), but Briggs was probably the better choice with a few extra years left.

Yes he had to start at WIL while Wilson was on the IR to start the season. Did fairly well and at the moment he's the next best player to be a rotation / depth Canadian on defence. He does have a high football IQ and never seems to take a play off mentally.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: