Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2022, 09:52:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian OL Drew Desjarlais drawing significant interest from NFL teams  (Read 2489 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 04:52:23 PM »

The NFL DTs are big son of a guns. It will be interesting to see if he can handle it.

I noticed some comments on the weekend during NFL games that many DT's were really big in the 350 -370 lb range. It could factor in since he's not the biggest OG but he could always continue to gain weight and strength?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:55:11 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »

I noticed some comments on the weekend during NFL games that many DT's were really big in the 350 -370 lb range. It could factor in since he's not the biggest OG but he could always continue to gain weight?

They are chunks over there and tall as well. Big dudes. Drew may be great at handling the beef or he may not be. We'll see I guess.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »

Dobson was picked 3rd in the 2021 draft. I thought he'd have a good chance to make the roster in 2022. That's even more true with the expectation of losing Desjarlais and Eli.

Anybody know much about how he did in college this past season?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 06:45:12 PM »

I just noticed Cody Speller is an Argo F.A. as is Drake Nevis, two solid players that could fill holes if necessary. I would also keep my eye on a couple of Argo receivers if the Bombers lose Lawler, Brescacin, Josh Huff and DaVaris Daniels are all F.A.'s.
the paw

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 08:46:05 PM »

I just noticed Cody Speller is an Argo F.A. as is Drake Nevis, two solid players that could fill holes if necessary. I would also keep my eye on a couple of Argo receivers if the Bombers lose Lawler, Brescacin, Josh Huff and DaVaris Daniels are all F.A.'s.

Speller might replace Couture if needed, but you would need to check VAX status on him first.  I think I would pass on Drake Nevis at 32 years old and hasn't played in two years.  I'd rather roll with Sayles.

Daniels could be an option, a and while I don't get excited a about Huff, he is productive.  Brescanin is a bandaid, I think he would be too much of a risk.

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 09:04:39 PM »

Speller might replace Couture if needed, but you would need to check VAX status on him first.  I think I would pass on Drake Nevis at 32 years old and hasn't played in two years.  I'd rather roll with Sayles.

I didn't realize Nevis hardly played last year, was he injured?
the paw

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 09:43:19 PM »

I didn't realize Nevis hardly played last year, was he injured?

He only played one game for them last year.  He was injured in camp, came off the IR in Week 10, and then went back to IR for the rest of the year.

My sense is that the first injury was legit, but the Argos had some good interior DL (Oakman), so it?s possible he was only kept around as insurance.  Or, maybe he was unlucky, and got reinjured.  I loved Nevis when he was here though, I hope he bounces back.  But I don?t know if I would be the one to take a chance on him though.

grab grass 'n growl
kkc60

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 10:11:14 PM »

Dline has been a position we have been pretty good at scouting, so if (and I hope we don't) lose Stove, I don't know how necessary Nevis would be
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2022, 11:07:38 PM »

Players who sign in T.O. typically go there for higher compensation and will be looking to be well paid even if they move on.  The Bombers probably wouldn't save anything bringing Nevis back, I love Drake but it's smarter to invest in younger DT's. 
theaardvark

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2022, 11:53:48 PM »

We are going to lose players.  The reason will mainly be money.  You can't sign veteran players to fix that issue, you have to spend on the vets you want to keep, and recruit new players to replace the ones you can't afford to keep. 

The idea is not rocket science, but pulling it off definitely is...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 01:09:51 PM »

Looks like Desjarlais had a workout with the Seahawks yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes for him.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
GCn19

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 01:38:20 PM »

I am unclear on why so many people are discounting the work Casey Sayles put in this season. His stat line reads pretty good. I would love Stove back but if he chases higher dollars I am OK with Sayles.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »

I am unclear on why so many people are discounting the work Casey Sayles put in this season. His stat line reads pretty good. I would love Stove back but if he chases higher dollars I am OK with Sayles.

Are they? Sayles played very well. He's 5" taller and about 15 lbs lighter. There is a reason they call Richardson " Stove ". He's more of a DT teams need to double team and run away from. I wouldn't think Sayles would be a direct replacement for Richardson per se but he adds value to the defence.

We didn't get to see E. Rose play for more than a few plays before getting injured. However he's a bigger guy which might make a difference.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:00:35 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 02:06:26 PM »

I mean, it is what it is if any player chases a pay day.

We're coming off two Grey Cups so ovbiousy we want to keep as many people as possible.

On the other hand, championship teams sink all the time becasuse they stay the same while other teams improve. So, in an ideal world, some of these "loses" become gains by another player coming in and showing unexpected growth.

My wife is amazing!
the paw

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 03:02:18 PM »

I noticed some comments on the weekend during NFL games that many DT's were really big in the 350 -370 lb range. It could factor in since he's not the biggest OG but he could always continue to gain weight and strength?

This comment made me curious, so I went to look at rosters for 10 NFL teams at random.  I would say 90% of the DTs were in the 300-320 range.  I found 4 who were 330-335.  So while there might be an exception or two, almost all DTs are going to be of a comparable weight to a CFL nose tackle.

Not to over generalize, but I think most CFL teams run a nose tackle at 300+, and a second DT at 280-290.  So the average NFL line is going to be a little heavier, but Desjarlais will have had plenty of experience handling players of that size.

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: