Blue Bombers Forum
June 25, 2022, 07:40:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: CFL says Lucky Whitehead is a FA.  Do We Try To Sign Him for 2022?
Yes - 14 (36.8%)
No - 24 (63.2%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucky Whitehead - Free Agent (no longer)  (Read 7833 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: December 18, 2021, 06:45:13 AM »

Lucky Whitehouse appears to be available.  Do we sign him?  Who would he potentially replace?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:13:14 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
dd

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 07:35:11 AM »

What if we lose Lawler or Bailey to a gross higher offer like earnest Jackson or Darrel walker got a couple of years ago?? We d obviously replace them with another big name FA. I think we ll no doubt lose some players to big paydays by other clubs and signing another FA from another club at a more reasonable cap,friendly hit will play out.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 07:37:29 AM »

Total pass.  Not a match at all for Buck, for Zach or for MOS.  Heck, we had him and often didn't dress him!!

The only way we go for Lucky is if Grant leaves.  If Grant leaves then you must get Lucky!  Then Lucky becomes primarily returner again.  Alligator-arms won't help much on O, except maybe the odd special package.  But even that is a dream as we can't afford to pay "just a returner" Lucky-level big money.

BC will backup the truck to retain him, he's as big a star as Burnham now.  Any FA-ness of Lucky will just be a negotiating ploy to try to keep his salary in check.

Never go full Rider!
the paw

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 11:28:09 AM »

Lucky Whitehouse appears to be available.  Do we sign him?  Who would he potentially replace?

My philosophy would be that when you win a Grey Cup, your starting assumption is that you bring back every starter and primary backup that you can afford.  Only if you can't bring them back do you look to free agent replacements.

Through the year, I was wondering if Darvin Adams might be on the way out.  But not only did he make clutch catches in the big game, I think he doesn't get enough credit for his blocking and the role he plays as an enforcer after the whistle.  He is always in the grill of any defender who is taking liberties.  I like the balance of our receiving corps, any of the five can make clutch catches and big plays.

Even if we do lose one of our receivers though, I don't think we replace them with Lucky.  He improved greatly as a receiver since he was here, and would be expensive.  I think BC will retain him, but even if he tests the market, I don't think we can afford him.  Our receiver money is going to be spent hanging onto Lawler.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 12:44:04 PM »

Probably not but it depends on who we lose if any in free agency. I'm not opposed but SMS and fit could be significant issues. A bigger issue is ratio, roster size and use of DI's. He would be valuable as an injury replacement, role player to add a different dynamic to the offence. As a full time player he has some limitations.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »

I would like to see him back, but don't see how it happens.

Gonna be tough to keep together as much of the team as possible, and I don't think we can add a big salary to the receiving room.

My wife is amazing!
dd

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 02:06:40 PM »

If we?re going to spend money, it?s going to be to retain the receivers we have. If it plays out that one or some are braking the budget some tough calls are going to have to be made and Walters is going to have to find the money elsewhere on the roster or go elsewhere for a reciever. I can?t help but think Bailey and Lawler are in for a pay increase, And rightfully so, especially Lawler , the leagues leading reciever. He ll both get some offers from other teams as well as be asking for a pay increase from KW, priority would be to resign him. Bailey would be of secondary importance, priority would be to get Lawler under contract as well as ZC, with ZC being THE #1 priority offensively for the club.
Sec223

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 02:17:38 PM »

Speedy B Smiley
dd

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 02:28:13 PM »

Banks had a down year and is trending in the wrong direction for my cheque book. I?d take Lawler and Bailey over him any day as both are in addition to being good receivers, both can block like heck and support our run game and this often gets overlooked. We have 2 great backs waiting anxiously in the wings, our run game needs receivers who can block, and a 140 lb speedy B can?t block worth beans. Hard pass on banks
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 03:49:34 PM »

If we need a receiver we could do a lot worse than Lucky. It would be pretty interesting to see what teams would do with Lucky and Lawler on the field at once. Hard to double both of them consistently. On the other hand, it's hard to see how we could fit Lucky back into the fold if all the receivers come back. Assuming they come back, perhaps we could trade/replace Darvin Adams with Lucky although I don't think Walters and O'Shea would do that given the loyalty Adams has shown over the years. On paper though, that move probably makes us better.
Waffler

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 03:57:58 PM »

I liked Lucky from the beginning minus the comment disparaging our DBs he made before playing us this year. That said, pretty impossible to know what the roster would look like later. If it was a straight up trade, I prefer him over the oft-injured Darvin Adams. Bless him for his play in the Grey Cup though.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »

Lucky would give us depth at the returner position, but not sure he?s a better blocker than Adams and sure as heck doesn?t have hands like Adams. I think priority goes to resigning Lawler, Bailey and Demski and whitehead doesn?t fit in cap wise after that as there will be a bunch of key players looking for raises ie our O line.  Pass on this notion
the paw

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2021, 04:26:11 PM »

If we need a receiver we could do a lot worse than Lucky. It would be pretty interesting to see what teams would do with Lucky and Lawler on the field at once. Hard to double both of them consistently. On the other hand, it's hard to see how we could fit Lucky back into the fold if all the receivers come back. Assuming they come back, perhaps we could trade/replace Darvin Adams with Lucky although I don't think Walters and O'Shea would do that given the loyalty Adams has shown over the years. On paper though, that move probably makes us better.

If we end up needing a receiver, I think either Acklin or Dunbar would be a good fit, and probably less expensive.  If we?re willing to take a chance, I think both Derel Walker and Shaq Evans would benefit from a change of scenery, and be very affordable after down years.  I expect both of them to rebound, but there is a certain risk.

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2021, 04:28:37 PM »

No to Lucky, he isn't physical enough to block and that should now be a major requirement of all Bomber receivers, they need to have enough grit to be physical.  Darvin developed that over time but when he first came to the Bombers he was a bean pole.

If Lawler gets a $200,000 offer from another team Kyle should let him walk, top end for a receiver should stay around $160,000.  It took years for the Bombers to find a receiver of his caliber but they can't break the bank to retain him.  There will be plenty of top tier receivers available in F.A. as there always are, find one within the budget with good hands and grit.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:08:54 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »

To injury prone. Pass.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: