Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 23, 2022, 07:23:38 PM
He doesn't sign otherwise.  He's putting a lot of faith that they will pay him $108k next year, many things could happen to derail that plan.  Deferred contracts in the CFL are a bit of a joke, more often than not the player gets cut, or has to renegotiate for reduced pay in the later years of the contract.

We're talking about Kyle Walters, right?  Barring Hansen doing something completely unforgiveable, he's not getting cut/renegotiated.  That is not the WBB way...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on June 23, 2022, 07:31:17 PM
They are just looking at it as a two-year average, I'm sure. He's not really getting ~100k next year, he's being paid ~75k each year - they're just not allowed to do it this year.

There is a certain logic to that thought. In that sense it's a fair deal but it has an impact on the SMS in 2023. So in that sense it may not be a wise business decision for 2023 in regard to SMS spend.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 23, 2022, 08:05:06 PM
We don't know for sure. What if Ross doesn't want to sign seeing he cant be a starter here.

Btw, Leos released Awe after signing Ross. We signed Awe before the pandemic and went to RedBlacks last year. Maybe worth a look again?

Awe was a very good player. I wonder why the Lions released him. In theory they have SMS room due to low cost of their starting QB.  Something is up.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 23, 2022, 09:32:04 PM
Awe was a very good player. I wonder why the Lions released him. In theory they have SMS room due to low cost of their starting QB.  Something is up.

He was very unhappy, since his contract had a lot of incentives built in, but he was buried on the depth chart behind two Canadian linebackers.  He's starting quality, so you can't blame him for chafing at perpetual DI status.  I think he will land somewhere before long. 
grab grass 'n growl

theaardvark

They said it was a ratio question... Awe as a LB behind Canadians at Mack and Wil... hard to get him into the lineup...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on June 23, 2022, 09:42:16 PM
They said it was a ratio question... Awe as a LB behind Canadians at Mack and Wil... hard to get him into the lineup...

Hmmmm.  I understand his desire to start but being the rotation / DI is part of being a team player. Financially the incentives issue makes sense but he knew the Lions had 2 starting Canadian LB's when he signed.

Players are getting injured every week and a DI is one play away from starting for the rest of the year.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

Game 3:

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
Winston Rose (foot) is OUT this week - 2nd-year #Bombers DB Demerio Houston will start at corner.

Taylor Allen   @TaylorAllen31
Here's how the #Bombers will look tomorrow night vs. #Ticats.

With Michael Couture on the 6-game injured list, Chris Kolankowski gets his first career start. Demerio Houston is also in at CB for Winston Rose and Thiadric Hansen will suit up despite just signing on the wknd. #wfp

Ed Tait   @EdTaitWFC
Five changes to the @Wpg_BlueBombers lineup this week. On: DE Thiadric Hansen, LB Malik Clements, FB Konner Burtenshaw, OL Liam Dobson, DB Evan Holm. Off: CB Winston Rose, C Michael Couture LB Les Maruo, DB Souleymane Karamoko, DT Ricky Walker. Couture to 6-game injured list.

IN:

#0 Clements
#3 Hansen
#31 Holm
#32 Burtonshaw
#64 Dobson

OUT:
#00 Maruo
#30 Rose
#42 Karamoko
#59 Couture
#96 Walker

gobombersgo

Transactions:

2022-06-23   WPG   HOLM, Evan   DB   A   North Dakota   Add To   Active Roster
2022-06-23   WPG   HOLM, Evan   DB   A   North Dakota   Remove Signed   Free Agent
2022-06-23   WPG   BURTENSHAW, Konner   FB   N   Queen's   Add To   Active Roster
2022-06-23   WPG   BURTENSHAW, Konner   FB   N   Queen's   Remove Signed   Free Agent
2022-06-23   WPG   DOBSON, Liam   OL   N   Maine   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2022-06-23   WPG   CLEMENTS, Malik   LB   N   Cincinnati   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2022-06-23   WPG   COUTURE, Michael   OL   N   Simon Fraser   Transfer To   Injured
2022-06-23   WPG   ROSE, Winston   DB   A   New Mexico State   Transfer To   Injured
2022-06-23   WPG   MARUO, Les   LB   N   Texas at San Antonio   Add To   Free Agent
2022-06-23   WPG   MARUO, Les   LB   N   Texas at San Antonio   Delete From Active   Free Agent

M.O.A.B.

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN
#BCLions are releasing LB Micah Awe. Hasn?t practiced since Tues. After a highly productive 2021 he wants to be a starter. That opportunity doesn?t exist in BC due to the ratio. Lions tried to trade him & there were no takers.
@CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports

Hmm... maybe not a fit here.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 23, 2022, 10:37:06 PM

#BCLions are releasing LB Micah Awe. Hasn?t practiced since Tues. After a highly productive 2021 he wants to be a starter. That opportunity doesn?t exist in BC due to the ratio. Lions tried to trade him & there were no takers.
@CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports

Keep in mind we signed him and then released him before as well. He has talent but might more of a me 1st guy than a team guy.

Edmonton signs everybody so that wouldn't surprise me.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

@CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports

He had a very good year last year. Would he upgrade our LB crew.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on June 23, 2022, 11:23:39 PM
He had a very good year last year. Would he upgrade our LB crew.

Can he play SAM or safety? IIRC he's very versatile.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 23, 2022, 11:00:36 PM
Keep in mind we signed him and then released him before as well. He has talent but might more of a me 1st guy than a team guy.

We signed him I believe 2020 free-agency then the cancelled season. He was released prior to 2021 free-agency and signed with Ottawa.

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 24, 2022, 12:56:46 AM
Can he play SAM or safety? IIRC he's very versatile.

He is a heavy hitter too like BA. If he can play Safety then he has a chance to start here (until Alexander comes back).

VictorRomano

@CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports

Why trade away picks or players when you can sign him now for nothing (assuming we are even interested in him)?  Seems like a shrewd move to me.

kkc60

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 23, 2022, 11:00:36 PM

actually we just didn?t re-sign him after his contract expired following the cancelled 2020 season.

Not sure why speculating someone?s character is needed