Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 04, 2022, 04:39:37 PM

Looks pretty good... I don't doubt it is mostly going to be correct, but I will not be surprised if Ford beats out Hallett/Hallett, or we see some unsigned names show up before camp (including DObson).  But otherwise, that's a pretty solid roster, with a lot of continuity from back to back GC champs.

I agree that looks reasonable at this moment but it's going to be fluid. Bombers just signed Rene which makes the fight at Canadian DB even more interesting. I'd think Kramdi will be the one harder pressed to keep his spot and he seemed to be a decent player.

After drafting 4 more is there a chance of trading someone?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 04, 2022, 05:04:48 PM
I don't doubt Dobson will be here before TC.

I believe the Patriots drafted few OLs so not sure how will that affects Desjarlais. If he is bound to comeback north pretty sure the Bombers will love to get him back. Then, our OL is all jampacked. Not to discount Eli too.

Obviously getting Desjarais back would be excellent but he's a CFL free agent if he does I believe. That's if he doesn't continue his shot in the NFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 04, 2022, 05:08:08 PM
Obviously getting Desjarais back would be excellent but he's a CFL free agent if he does I believe. That's if he doesn't continue his shot in the NFL.

I think with Grey and Dobson, we'd be out on the Dejarlais bidding war.

You draft OL so you always have that pipeline.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on May 04, 2022, 05:10:11 PM
I think with Grey and Dobson, we'd be out on the Dejarlais bidding war.

You draft OL so you always have that pipeline.

Couldn't disagree about that whether we get Dobson back or not. Desjarlais is not going to come back cheaply. However it could still happen and result in a trade option. IMO I'd think Gray might be the most expensive OL that wasn't a starter in 2021 and he was the non dressed guy most of the year.

It might come down to whose current contract lengths are longer. If he only wants a 1 year deal that might come into play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Nic16

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 04, 2022, 04:07:18 PM
My early attempt on projecting the Bombers depth chart. 

OL: BRYANT / GRAY / COUTURE (Kolankowski) / NEUFELD / HARDRICK
WR: SAUNDERS / BAILEY / DEMSKI / ELLINGSON / WOLITARSKY (Agudosi)
QB: COLLAROS (Prukop)
RB: AUGUSTINE/OLIVEIRA (M.Miller)

DL: JEFFERSON / THOMAS (Lawson) / SAYLES (Walker) / JEFFCOAT (Wilcots)
LB: WILSON (Briggs, Cadwallader) / BIGHILL (Gauthier, Lowes, Maruo) / MASTON (Kramdi)
DB: W.ROSE / NICHOLS / HALLET (Hallett) / TAYLOR / J.MILLER (Rene)

ST: Grant / Benson / Leigghio / Mourtada

On some positions, I prioritize those who are with the Bombers and/or with CFL experience.

Few changes for me?

*Add: Dobson OT / O?Leary-Orange Rec / Mezzalira LB / Ford DB / Clements LB / Glass DB / Hackett P

*Drop: Lowes LB / Cadwallader LB / Leigghio / Agudosi Rec / Walker DL / Miller DB / Maruo

Blue In BC

Quote from: Nic16 on May 04, 2022, 06:07:07 PM
Few changes for me?

*Add: Dobson OT / Doyle-Orange Rec / Mezzalira LB / Ford DB / Clements LB / Glass DB / Hackett P

*Drop: Lowes LB / Cadwallader LB / Leigghio / Agudosi Rec / Walker DL / Miller DB / Maruo

There are a bunch of ratio and math issues involved in some of yours and others projections.  In your's we don't have a 4th import receiver, in fact we only have 5 receivers. Bailey and Ellingson are the two current locks to start.

Technically we could add one of the global punters instead of Liegghio but I can't see cutting him. If he gets beat out as a punter in TC then he might be the non dressed player of potentially trade bait. Also depends whether we choose / or are forced to with Global requirements to roster two in 2022. Not sure about team logic to draft 2. I wonder if either can Kick as well as punt?

Dobson if we get him back: He could be another player not quite as ready behind our 2 Canadian back up's so he's potentially another player that could be the non dressed player to start the season. Or hidden on 1 game IR. Then there is the Eli question about whether we end up getting him back too.

Doyle-Orange is our only Canadian back up receiver so he's a given to be on the roster, by default. I don't expect Agudosi to start but we also need to account for Saunders and DI's in general being put into the mix.

I could see Lowes and Cadwallader being beat out by 2022 draft choices.

Clements could be a good candidate as a DI if we have an import LB as a DI.  What we do with the Canadians and rotation might exclude the need for an import DE or DT as DI's but I doubt it.

My current expectation for DI's: a returner, a kicker a DE and a DB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Nic16 on May 04, 2022, 06:07:07 PM
Few changes for me?

*Add: Dobson OT / Doyle-Orange Rec / Mezzalira LB / Ford DB / Clements LB / Glass DB / Hackett P

I didn't put Dobson since he's not yet on the roster. If he will then I agree that he can jump ahead of Gray. Gray is not a mauler-type like Desjarlais and Dobson which the current coaching staff prefer.

With more Canadian that can start and/or playing defense, I think this is a big opportunity to play 4 American receivers on some schemes reason why I put in Agudosi (it could be another American receiver) instead of Orange. As I said I give priority to the players that were here last year and already knows the playbook.

We all know O'Shea will give a little bit of an edge with veteran players. So the same I did for Cadwallader, Lowes, Walker and J.Miller. Cadwallader is a permanent members of the ST unit last year, Lowes have been a part of it when he's on the roster. Walker got some rotation on DT when Stove was injured and J.Miller I think started a game or two at the corner.

Leiggho for unknown Australian punter at this point, not sure about that. But I give the edge to Leigghio for now.

M.O.A.B.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 04, 2022, 06:40:26 PM
I didn't put Dobson since he's not yet on the roster. If he will then I agree that he can jump ahead of Gray. Gray is not a mauler-type like Desjarlais and Dobson which the current coaching staff prefer.

With more Canadian that can start and/or playing defense, I think this is a big opportunity to play 4 American receivers on some schemes reason why I put in Agudosi (it could be another American receiver) instead of Orange. As I said I give priority to the players that were here last year and already knows the playbook.

We all know O'Shea will give a little bit of an edge with veteran players. So the same I did for Cadwallader, Lowes, Walker and J.Miller. Cadwallader is a permanent members of the ST unit last year, Lowes have been a part of it when he's on the roster. Walker got some rotation on DT when Stove was injured and J.Miller I think started a game or two at the corner.

Leiggho for unknown Australian punter at this point, not sure about that. But I give the edge to Leigghio for now.

Most Canadian back ups make the roster as defensive players. That's because those are the guys that know how to tackle on ST's. On offence we have 2 OL, 1 receiver and 1 RB that could be considered back ups. Aside from Augustine, those other players aren't going to be on ST's.

Whether we have more Canadians that can start or actually play on defence, that's really a TBD after we see who makes the roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Nic16

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 04, 2022, 06:19:00 PM
There are a bunch of ratio and math issues involved in some of yours and others projections.  In your's we don't have a 4th import receiver, in fact we only have 5 receivers. Bailey and Ellingson are the two current locks to start.

Technically we could add one of the global punters instead of Liegghio but I can't see cutting him. If he gets beat out as a punter in TC then he might be the non dressed player of potentially trade bait. Also depends whether we choose / or are forced to with Global requirements to roster two in 2022. Not sure about team logic to draft 2. I wonder if either can Kick as well as punt?

Dobson if we get him back: He could be another player not quite as ready behind our 2 Canadian back up's so he's potentially another player that could be the non dressed player to start the season. Or hidden on 1 game IR. Then there is the Eli question about whether we end up getting him back too.

Doyle-Orange is our only Canadian back up receiver so he's a given to be on the roster, by default. I don't expect Agudosi to start but we also need to account for Saunders and DI's in general being put into the mix.

I could see Lowes and Cadwallader being beat out by 2022 draft choices.

Clements could be a good candidate as a DI if we have an import LB as a DI.  What we do with the Canadians and rotation might exclude the need for an import DE or DT as DI's but I doubt it.

My current expectation for DI's: a returner, a kicker a DE and a DB.

I think if you take another look at my suggestions you will notice there is not a ?bunch? of ratio & math issues.

You will also notice Saunders is on the roster MOAB made, and he remains on mine.

The backup receivers would be Orange & Grant?being that Pierce is expected to use him in the offence this year.

My 4 DI?s?Mourtada, Grant, Clements, Wilcott

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Nic16 on May 04, 2022, 07:43:01 PM
I think if you take another look at my suggestions you will notice there is not a ?bunch? of ratio & math issues.

You will also notice Saunders is on the roster MOAB made, and he remains on mine.

The backup receivers would be Orange & Grant?being that Pierce is expected to use him in the offence this year.

I did not notice you put Dobson in OT. That's a big gamble. You don't want to put a pure rookie OL in one of the Tackle position and endangered Collaros.
Unless you want to pick 1st in the CFL draft '23.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Nic16 on May 04, 2022, 07:43:01 PM

I only count 21 imports on your list. Counting DI's we'd have 22 which includes 2 QB's. Technically you didn't account or replace Alexander while he's out? Bombers try to start an all import secondary. That in itself creates a ratio / domino effect.

Whether we go with 1 or 2 globals will be an interesting question. That said Mauro is a good ST player and I wouldn't expect him to not make the roster.  Whether we choose to add Hackett as a 2nd one or only one?  That also becomes a ratio question. A 2nd global would eliminate a Canadian. You show him as the only one but it obviously is a maybe and ratio scenario involved.

The addition of Clements and / or Wilcots could be in the mix. OTOH how this shapes out for the DI's a giant question, over and above which positions they will fill. They're as good a guess as any at the moment. Whether a 2nd Canadian DT in Lawson eliminates the need for an import DT as a DI is not certain. In 2022 we had Kongbo at DE + Hansen + an import DT as a DI for rotation.. So we might still need another import on the DL instead of a LB. Or we could add one of the 2022 draft choices for depth on the AR. Depends on how strong they are as candidates over the imports.

Some of the drops suggested barely played so hard to assess past Cadwallader who did play.

Normally I would have wanted a DB as a DI. Drafting so many DB's and now getting Rene under contract, that might not be as pressing.

Hmmm. Lirim H just got released by the Panthers. While he might continue looking for another NFL team, he'd solve several problems with our kicking game, ratio and roster needs. He could fill all the kicking roles on the AR. He could be expensive but he might also be out of other options in both leagues.

I would contact his agent just to find out where his thoughts might be.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 04, 2022, 07:55:07 PM
I did not notice you put Dobson in OT. That's a big gamble. You don't want to put a pure rookie OL in one of the Tackle position and endangered Collaros.
Unless you want to pick 1st in the CFL draft '23.

Dobson if signed would just be the 6th or 7th OL. In game injury I'd expect Neufeld to move to OT and one of the back up OL to move in at guard.

In game injury combos :

Bryant injured replaced by Hardrick who is replaced by Neufeld at OT

Hardrick injured replaced by Neufeld.

Not sure who would be next up at guard based on today's back ups. Probably Kolankowski?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

A question / thought: Note I'm not suggesting this is a good idea  but maybe we'll see a version of this and I am wondering if it's part of " what's up ".

The hash marks are being moved and the subsequent discussions about the WIL need becomes more of a SAM need. A very large number of import DB's on the roster and both global and Canadians added in the draft.

The question / thought: Do we see Wilson see the field less often and another SAM type coverage DB get rotated in on passing downs.

Don't get me wrong. Wilson is an excellent player. Previously I had suggested a need for a DB as a DI. Now that could still be true. In the past the extra DB usually came on when a DL came out on passing downs.

That could also be true but depending on field position, could we see a 5th DB go in at WIL. Does Wilson stay on the field and a DL still comes out?

It creates some interesting different scenarios that we didn't have previously.

I liked the addition of Clements to the roster but actually getting him on the game day roster was never entirely certain. He could end up as a DI or end up on the PR.

Ultimately this comes down to what is the best choice for a DI now that the hash marks are moved and how teams might attack an offence.

Obviously the draft focused on DB's and more DB's although we already had a bunch of Canadian LB's too.

A DC could pull a WIL and replace him with a CB type or a SAM type in different defensive formations. Especially could be true against teams with weak run game ( including QB's ), game score, field conditions, offensive set from opponent etc, etc.

This isn't something I'd expect to see 50% of the time, but I could imagine it as an adjustment for 2022.  It might be that we see a few more Canadian DB's replacing as many Canadian LB's.

2019 Grey Cup Champions