Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.O.A.B.

Briggs and Gauthier took significant snaps on D last year. And both did solid.

NewBlue

Is Alexander not expected to be ready for Camp?

NewBlue

I'm guessing we go with a DB again at SAM?  With Biggie & Wilson penclied at LB, who gets the SAM?  Maston?

Pigskin

Quote from: NewBlue on May 01, 2022, 02:05:52 PM
Is Alexander not expected to be ready for Camp?

Sounds like he will miss 6 games.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on April 30, 2022, 11:16:11 PM
Briggs and Gauthier took significant snaps on D last year. And both did solid.

I'd disagree overall. Both made some good plays. Often you could see them in chase mode and the weak link in a given play, particularly against the run. Gauthier coming in meant more of a 34 kind of defence taking out a DL.  If it's a passing down that can be effective if that player is good in pass coverage. OTOH it can give the QB more time to step up in the pocket and complete a pass.

Briggs is football IQ sound and doesn't make many mistakes. I suppose it's the speed factor resulting in chase mode too often for my liking.

I suppose solid for a Canadian back up is not an un-fair comment on your part. But I cringed when I saw either in on defence.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Zach Schnitzer

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 01, 2022, 04:14:35 PM
I'd disagree overall. Both made some good plays. Often you could see them in chase mode and the weak link in a given play, particularly against the run. Gauthier coming in meant more of a 34 kind of defence taking out a DL.  If it's a passing down that can be effective if that player is good in pass coverage. OTOH it can give the QB more time to step up in the pocket and complete a pass.

Briggs is football IQ sound and doesn't make many mistakes. I suppose it's the speed factor resulting in chase mode too often for my liking.

I suppose solid for a Canadian back up is not an un-fair comment on your part. But I cringed when I saw either in on defence.
I?d agree. Nothing against those guys, and If not for Gauthier?s incredible tackle in the ?19 WF, we might not have that GC win, but when Wilson came back at WIL, as well as Stove, our run defence went from middling to best in the league.
#fortheW

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS TRANSACTIONS: MAY 1, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., May 1, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American offensive lineman Pat Allen and 2021 Global Draft selection offensive lineman Tomoya Machino.

Allen (6-4, 290, Southeastern Louisiana; February 6, 1996 in Reisterstown, MD) joins the Blue Bombers after playing two seasons for the Southeastern Louisiana Lions. Allen appeared in 24 games for the Lions anchoring the offensive line during his time there.

Machino
(6-5, 298, Kyoto University, March 16, 1997 in Ogaki, Gifu Prefecture, Japan) returns to the team after spending the 2021 season on the practice roster. Machino was selected in the 2nd round, 15th overall of the 2021 Canadian Football League Global Draft. He played baseball in high school before taking up football at college - Kyoto University - and stood out at the Global Combine in Japan. He played for Japan at the World University Championships in Harbin, China in 2018.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/05/01/blue-bombers-transactions-may-1-2022/

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS SIGN QUARTERBACK CHASE LITTON

WINNIPEG, MB., May 1, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American quarterback Chase Litton.

Litton (6-5, 230, Marshall, October 5, 1995 in Winter Park, FL) signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent in 2018. He then signed to the Jacksonville Jaguars in September 2019. He went on to spend time in the XFL with the Seattle Dragons and the Tampa Bay Vipers organizations in 2019 and most recently signed with the Ottawa Redblacks in 2021. During his freshman year at Marshall, he played in 11 games and threw for 2,605 yards and 23 touchdowns, a Marshall freshman record. As a junior in 2017, Litton started all 13 of Marshall's games, completing 266 of 443 passes for 3,115 yards and 25 touchdowns.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/05/01/blue-bombers-sign-quarterback-chase-litton/

Blue In BC

If the roster is correct we're up to 79 players. At this point we may see a few players released as new players are found and added. Usually that happens a few times as we approach the mini camp and the TC shortly afterwards.

IIRC there isn't an actual maximum number quite yet but it's a necessity needed managing what direction the TC roster will look like. Don't want to be in a position ( like the Argos ) where they'll have to trim 20 -30 players all at once. Argos show 93 players at the moment.

Might start to see a few retirements or veterans released around the league in the next week. Don't expect that to happen in Winnipeg since we don't have a bunch of older veterans that fall into that category.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

May 11 ? Rookie camps open

May 14 ? CFL rosters reduced to 85 players

May 15 ? Training camps open

May 17 ? CFL rosters reduced to 75 players
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2022, 06:06:08 PM
May 11 ? Rookie camps open

May 14 ? CFL rosters reduced to 85 players

May 15 ? Training camps open

May 17 ? CFL rosters reduced to 75 players

So, we have just over a week to get the CBA hammered out...

Sounds like the CFLPA is floating guaranteed contracts... a non starter in an SMS league in my opinion...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gobombersgo

Quote from: theaardvark on May 02, 2022, 07:45:02 PM
So, we have just over a week to get the CBA hammered out...

Sounds like the CFLPA is floating guaranteed contracts... a non starter in an SMS league in my opinion...
I think it's fair that they currently guarantee veteran contracts after a certain amount of games. Maybe they can reduce the game threshold by a game or 2.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2022, 09:02:22 PM
They do guarantee veteran contracts in the current season past a specific point. I don't know what the " floating guarantee " will mean. Possibly year 1 guaranteed sooner?

W
Where did you hear this comment and what would the details of that look like? New CBA's generally aren't completed by TC and not always before the season starts.

By floating guaranteed contracts I meant that they are floating the idea of guaranteed contracts.

I've seen a few social media posts regarding these items... I'd love to quote who and where, but that would be tough to backtrack that many posts in my timeline....

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/08/cflpa-wants-guaranteed-contracts-to-be-a-part-of-cba-discussions/

The other item I've seen mentioned is that the players are being polled as to whether they would support job action should the CBA not be ratified before main camp starts...

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/29/cflpa-requesting-strike-mandate-from-membership-as-standard-part-of-cba-negotiations-report/

EDIT - turns out both are referenced on 3down
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 02, 2022, 09:05:46 PM
By floating guaranteed contracts I meant that they are floating the idea of guaranteed contracts.

I've seen a few social media posts regarding these items... I'd love to quote who and where, but that would be tough to backtrack that many posts in my timeline....

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/08/cflpa-wants-guaranteed-contracts-to-be-a-part-of-cba-discussions/

The other item I've seen mentioned is that the players are being polled as to whether they would support job action should the CBA not be ratified before main camp starts...

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/29/cflpa-requesting-strike-mandate-from-membership-as-standard-part-of-cba-negotiations-report/

EDIT - turns out both are referenced on 3down

It still seems a broad statement on that issue in the article. It also mentions a desire to change the ratio being a divisive topic being discussed. That usually comes up every time there is a new CBA in the works. Again that's a broad statement. It could mean talks include less Canadian starters or less Canadians in total on the roster.

I don't believe rosters would hold out for a completed new CBA before attending TC after losing all of 2020 and part of 2021. That would be a disaster IMO.

I fully expect TC to open on May 15th. Fingers crossed though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2022, 09:20:37 PM
It still seems a broad statement on that issue in the article. It also mentions a desire to change the ratio being a divisive topic being discussed. That usually comes up every time there is a new CBA in the works. Again that's a broad statement. It could mean talks include less Canadian starters or less Canadians in total on the roster.

I don't believe rosters would hold out for a completed new CBA before attending TC after losing all of 2020 and part of 2021. That would be a disaster IMO.

I fully expect TC to open on May 15th. Fingers crossed though.

The big concern is attending camp without a CBA and getting hurt... every camp, players get hurt.  Without a CBA in force, they could be at risk.