Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

I see Eli and Hansen still haven't signed with anyone. Two guys I would like to see the bombers re-sign.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 17, 2022, 10:21:05 PM
Interesting that we're looking at Valvano. Classified as a FB doesn't directly mean anything but possibly important. With expecting Bosa to be in TC I'm not sure where Valvano fits in quite yet.

We have 3 2021 draft choices that should be in TC plus a bunch drafted in 2022 ( a few may be returning to college ). However roster spots are going to be hard to come by. Those players that we already have are very good players and bumping anybody will be difficult.

Anyone have more insight about Valvano and his upside?

Google info says he's a good blocker.  He says he's a good route runner and can catch.

There is always a place for Nat ST guys... and if he can come in in the Jumbo package and block, and can catch on gadget plays... there's always a spot for that.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Absolutely , you can never have enough NAT talent or depth.

Nic16

Quote from: theaardvark on February 18, 2022, 12:16:08 AM
There is always a place for Nat ST guys... and if he can come in in the Jumbo package and block, and can catch on gadget plays... there's always a spot for that.

https://youtu.be/azbooxNbzfo

He can do all of the above, and looks to be very good at it.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Nic16 on February 18, 2022, 02:53:15 AM

Yes and no. As I mentioned we should have 3 2021 draft choices and 4 - 6 we draft in 2022 that have an opportunity to challenge for roster spots. In theory those we draft have a higher ranking than un-drafted players from 2020.

It's a numbers game. By my count we have 21 returning Canadians on the roster. I don't see many of them losing their roles on the team. Barring injury we probably only see 2 or 3 of the draft choices making the active roster.

We may already be at a point where we hope to see a few of the 2022 draft choices returning to college for this season after TC.

It's the reality of already having very good Canadian talent on the roster. Winning a role beyond the PR will be difficult for all newbies.

Good luck to Valvano. He has an opportunity to show he deserves a role on the team. You never know who will succeed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Looks like we have 53 players on roster while most teams have 70 or more, ie Toronto has 90+, Edmonton 100. Are we behind? I' ve wondered in the past why so many are needed. Is it a reflection of weak scouting?

dd

I.think.it's a reflection of not knowing your teams talent. Bringing in a 100 players tells me.you haven't got a clue what's going on.

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on February 19, 2022, 04:14:40 AM
I.think.it's a reflection of not knowing your teams talent. Bringing in a 100 players tells me.you haven't got a clue what's going on.

I disagree. Bombers usually bring in about 90 or so players at the beginning as well. You may only need a few players for the active roster but football is a volume business.  Players are needed for injuries and PR rosters. Development time for some to learn the CFL game.

We're not behind at the moment but we'll be doing the same as other teams in the future. Between Canadian, Global drafts and US scouting we'll have 80+ players in TC.

There are a few more newbies on our roster than I thought earlier. Some were on our PR at the end of the season and have roster numbers assigned. It appears perhaps 10 players that haven't played a CFL game at this point but some that have 2021 PR time.

Regardless a few will be replaced before TC as new players are added and a few will be at TC to complete. The biggest numbers of players added is usually at DB and receiver positions. That's just the reality of what is needed to evaluate one against the other and give QB's work during TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: Nic16 on February 18, 2022, 02:53:15 AM

Highlight tapes aren't the most reliable in terms of showing ability

the paw

I notice that Ricky Collins, Josh Huff and Devier Posey are still out there.  They can't be seeing their price go up at this point.  I know Posey might have a question about recovery from injury, but both Collins and Huff were productive last year.  I sure would like to see at least one signed to compete with McKnight.  I mean all 3 of those guys are younger than Bowman and Arceneaux...
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 19, 2022, 03:53:21 PM
I notice that Ricky Collins, Josh Huff and Devier Posey are still out there.  They can't be seeing their price go up at this point.  I know Posey might have a question about recovery from injury, but both Collins and Huff were productive last year.  I sure would like to see at least one signed to compete with McKnight.  I mean all 3 of those guys are younger than Bowman and Arceneaux...

Who knows???  After a couple of weeks I stop checking the F.A. list, if they're still sitting there unsigned there could be a million reasons we no nothing about, including not interested in playing any longer. Time to move onto the CFL draft and wait for signings prior to TC to see how they fill out the roster.  These are the slowest days of the football cycle, when not much happens.  Is the CFL combine still an event?

theaardvark

Quote from: the paw on February 19, 2022, 03:53:21 PM

At this point, they might be thinking they are better off waiting until TC shows that a team has a glaring weakness (say, when Bowman and Manny reveal they haven't reversed aging...) and rather than bargaining from a point of weakness, they can bargain from a point of strength.  Barring a TC opportunity, there is always the mid season injury route.  A veteran known receiver will demand top dollar when a team has a #1 or #2 WR blow an ACL...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Nic16

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2022, 03:42:16 PM
Highlight tapes aren't the most reliable in terms of showing ability

I think you meant to say??Highlight tapes aren't the most reliable in terms of ?guaranteeing you a spot on the team?.

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS TRANSACTIONS: FEBRUARY 21, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., February 21, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American receiver T.J. Simmons and American defensive back Tyrique McGhee.

Simmons
(6-2, 200, West Virginia, March 28, 1998 in Birmingham, AL) spent three years as a Mountaineer, hauling in 86 receptions for 1,197 yards and nine touchdowns. Simmons spent the first year of his collegiate career at Alabama before deciding to transfer to West Virginia. In 2020, Simmons finished 33rd nationally and 2nd in the Big 12 in yards per receptions (17.4). After going undrafted, Simmons signed as a free agent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers but was released during training camp last year.

McGhee
(5-10, 185, Georgia, August 11, 1998 in Byron, GA) spent the 2020 season on the L.A. Rams practice squad. He played in 50 games with the Georgia Bulldogs at a variety of defensive back positions, recording 53 total tackles, nine pass deflections, two forced fumbles and two interceptions.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/02/21/blue-bombers-transactions-february-21-2022/

Transactions:

2022-02-22   WPG   MCGHEE, Tyrique   DB   A   Georgia   Add To   Active Roster
2022-02-22   WPG   SIMMONS, TJ   WR   A   West Virginia   Add To   Active Roster

gobombersgo

Quote from: Pete on February 19, 2022, 02:04:30 AM
Looks like we have 53 players on roster while most teams have 70 or more, ie Toronto has 90+, Edmonton 100. Are we behind? I' ve wondered in the past why so many are needed. Is it a reflection of weak scouting?

When training camps roll around all teams will have roughly the same amount of players (will very slightly due to injuries, suspensions etc). By my count the Bombers currently have 58 players (including 2 suspended) and are on track to filling out their training camp roster.

What you will see with Toronto and Edmonton is they will be releasing players continually throughout the spring to get down to the proper roster limits. The Bombers wont be doing that as they currently don't have any dead wood on their roster.