Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on January 10, 2022, 03:26:33 PM
Remember, CGY renegotiated Bo's deal down $40k after his struggles last year, wheras Collaros is due for a raise based on coming of an MOP / GC MVP year... and both CGY QB's have bonuses tied to playing time that only one can attain.  So, there are some QB SMS dynamics there...

We are not moving on from McGuire or Brown, IMHO.  If McGuire gets a better offer in FA, Brown becomes #2, and we get a #3... like any team, if a QB situation happens, around vet cutdown day, there may be bodies available, and at the trade deadline there will be trades available. 

Much more important than having someone riding the pines "just in case", is having a team in front of ZC8 that keeps him upright and the ball moving down the field.  I'd rather spend an extra $75k on that than a backup QB...

I'd expect Collaros to come in at about $450K-$475K. Not sure what McGuire got but IMO there is room for somebody to get more as a #2. Whether there is one available or not is the ultimate question.

We don't know how much McGuire got in 2021 or what his expectation will be to re-sign. There may be less difference between his SMS and other possible QB's. Not D. Davis though.

If and it's a big if, Nichols for $150K if he's healthy and willing to take a # 2 QB role and a big cut, maybe he'd be a choice. He's not going to be starting anywhere that's for sure. He might be retiring?

Reports are that Collaros renegotiated his 2021 deal down to just above $400K and then it was pro-rated for the 14 games. Winning MOP means a raise but how much in this climate of low attendance makes things less certain.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Walters suggested 15 - 20 offers were out to players. I Hopefully we size another 5 or so re-signed this week. Still have about 17 starters not re-signed yet. Long list of others not re-signed yet as well. Work to be done.

Just a guessing game as to who re-signs next. Probably some long time veterans on the team will be the easiest. Players like Alexander, Bighill or Adams for example.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

With Lucky signing 2 yrs / $200k per, BC just screwed the rest of the league...

Maybe things will calm down by the time our FA's that are getting looks from the NFL are ready to lock down...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

kkc60

Deaundre Alford signed with the Atlanta Falcons. Will miss him, but impossible not to be happy for him, especially since he is from Georgia

theaardvark

Quote from: kkc60 on January 10, 2022, 07:23:28 PM
Deaundre Alford signed with the Atlanta Falcons. Will miss him, but impossible not to be happy for him, especially since he is from Georgia

Amazing result for him, congrats, he earned it.  Lets see how many Bombers we can place in the NFL this year!!! 

A great advertisement, though, for the CFL and the Bombers.  "C'mon down to Winnipeg, play with Willie and the boys, get yourself a champeenship ring and an NFL deal."

Means our recruiters will have to keep busy and find us the next ones...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Well that's nice to know. Now we know we have to make sure we sign Jones, and Rose.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on January 10, 2022, 07:23:28 PM

Good for him but unfortunate for the Bombers. Will have to watch and see if he makes the active roster and gets to play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on January 10, 2022, 07:41:10 PM
Well that's nice to know. Now we know we have to make sure we sign Jones, and Rose.
we have Nichols and Taylor already locked up?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Stinks to lose him, but if we had to lose him, glad it was to the nfl and glad he?s going to his childhood favourite team. Story book stuff. Hope he makes it, but if he doesn?t, he knows where he?s loved!!

kkc60

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 11, 2022, 01:26:48 AM
Nichols yes. Taylor no. We still do have Josh Miller and Demario Houston, both of whom saw at least some playing time

gobombersgo

Quote from: kkc60 on January 11, 2022, 03:04:10 AM
Nichols yes. Taylor no. We still do have Josh Miller and Demario Houston, both of whom saw at least some playing time

Miller is listed as a pending FA.

gobombersgo

Transactions:

2022-01-10   WPG   ALFORD, DeAundre   DB   N   Tusculum College   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2022-01-10   WPG   KOLANKOWSKI, Chris   OL   N   York   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-10   WPG   JEFFCOAT, Jackson   DL   A   Texas   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-10   WPG   HARDRICK, Jermarcus   OL   A   Nebraska   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-10   WPG   JACKSON, Blake   WR   A   Mary Hardin-Baylor   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-05   WPG   HALLETT, Nick   DB   N   Toronto   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-05   WPG   THOMAS, Jake   DL   N   Acadia   Add To   Active Roster

Looks like Kolankowski signed a new contract.

GCn19

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 11, 2022, 01:26:48 AM

Nichols is still under his NFL window I believe, so he can still sign in the NFL.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

theaardvark

I fully expect Lawler to get NFL interest, and he deserves it.  And hopefully we will have room should he come back...

My concern is Bailey.  He might get some NFL interest as well, he's a year older than Lawler, but the kicker is, he beat out Lucky for a spot on this team.  That has to figure into negotiations somewhere...

We've got some big names on paper, and no doubt have put out a good number of offers.  SMS demands that we can't give everyone offers all at once, if they all took them, we could get screwed.   Success is a double edged sword... we have to replace an all star DB who was making ELC money, and have a handful of other players that deserve big raises based on play, and very few medium to large contracts moving on.  Unless we spent to the basement last year (which I find hard to imagine) and are willing to go over this year, we are going to lose a substantial number of very good players.

When does the NFL window close?  How much time will we have to offer anyone that does not get an NFL contract an extension here, before they can start FA shopping? 

One month to the FA opening day, lots of paperwork to do now, and lots of moving targets once that day arrives.  Do we still have the one week "FA interview" window?  I mean an official one, not Chris Jones' version.