Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Transactions:

2021-12-14   WPG   WILLIAMS, James   RB   N   Washington State   Add To   Suspended
2021-12-14   WPG   HOUGHRON, Zach   DT   A   Wilfrid Laurier   Add To   Suspended
2021-12-14   WPG   WILSON, Kyrie   LB   A   Fresno State   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   WALKER, Ricky   DL   A   Virginia Tech   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   RICHMOND, Drew   OL   A   USC   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   O'LEARY-ORANGE, Brendon   WR   N   Nevada   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   NICHOLS, Deatrick   DB   A   South Florida   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   LIEGGHIO, Marc   K   N   Western University   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   KRAMDI, Redha   LB   N   Montreal   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   HALLETT, Noah   DB   N   McMaster   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   GASKILL-CADWALLADER, Tanner   LB   N   Wilfrid Laurier   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   DEMSKI, Nic   WR   N   Manitoba   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   ALFORD, DeAundre   DB   N   Tusculum College   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   EVANS, Marwin   DB   A   Utah State   Add From Active 2022   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   ROSE, Ezekiel   DT   N   West Virginia   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   RICHMOND, Drew   OL   A   USC   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   MASTON, Mercy   LB   A   Boise State   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   JONES, Mike   DB   A   Temple   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   JOHNSON, Josh   DB   A   Purdue   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   HALLETT, Noah   DB   N   McMaster   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   CRAPIGNA, Tyler   K   N   McMaster   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   BROWN, Kevin   LB   A   Cincinnati   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   ANTIGHA, Tobi   DL   A   Presbyterian College   Add From Injured   Active Roster

Looks like these are the guys that are under contract for 2022

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ichabod_crane on December 14, 2021, 09:15:24 PM

Tell that to Ottawa, Edmonton or even BC this past year! Even the Bombers with their kicking situation this season early on! Building/Re-Building mid-season does not usually work out, but sometimes you pick up a few good players for the next season.

If the players want more job security, fans want less player movement between teams and the league wants more stability, everyone is going to have to compromise somewhat.  As long as all teams follow the same rules, it's fair.  It just places more emphasis on scouting during the off-season to load up on the positions that are lacking.

If every team could establish a solid core of returning players to build upon, I believe the overall quality of play would improve year over year and mismatches would occur less often, it would also improve team identity.

If I'm not mistaken the trend of updating the roster continuously is a fairly recent development and also probably a costly expense.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 14, 2021, 07:44:31 PM
Yes nothing wrong with finding a job for them but a business should not be paying a player anything unless the player is actually working for that company.

Sure. And I'm not sure that's happening too much but if it was in some cases it would be incredibly difficult for the league to investigate/police. I don't have a clue how they would even begin to go about that.

the paw

Quote from: gobombersgo on December 14, 2021, 11:01:13 PM
Transactions:

2021-12-14   WPG   WILLIAMS, James   RB   N   Washington State   Add To   Suspended
2021-12-14   WPG   HOUGHRON, Zach   DT   A   Wilfrid Laurier   Add To   Suspended
2021-12-14   WPG   WILSON, Kyrie   LB   A   Fresno State   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   WALKER, Ricky   DL   A   Virginia Tech   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   RICHMOND, Drew   OL   A   USC   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   O'LEARY-ORANGE, Brendon   WR   N   Nevada   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   NICHOLS, Deatrick   DB   A   South Florida   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   LIEGGHIO, Marc   K   N   Western University   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   KRAMDI, Redha   LB   N   Montreal   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   HALLETT, Noah   DB   N   McMaster   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   GASKILL-CADWALLADER, Tanner   LB   N   Wilfrid Laurier   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   DEMSKI, Nic   WR   N   Manitoba   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   ALFORD, DeAundre   DB   N   Tusculum College   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-14   WPG   EVANS, Marwin   DB   A   Utah State   Add From Active 2022   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   ROSE, Ezekiel   DT   N   West Virginia   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   RICHMOND, Drew   OL   A   USC   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   MASTON, Mercy   LB   A   Boise State   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   JONES, Mike   DB   A   Temple   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   JOHNSON, Josh   DB   A   Purdue   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   HALLETT, Noah   DB   N   McMaster   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   CRAPIGNA, Tyler   K   N   McMaster   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   BROWN, Kevin   LB   A   Cincinnati   Add From Injured   Active Roster
2021-12-13   WPG   ANTIGHA, Tobi   DL   A   Presbyterian College   Add From Injured   Active Roster

Looks like these are the guys that are under contract for 2022

Based on that, it looks like Kylie Wilson, Demski, Nichols, Alford and Liegghio may have all got extensions.  I can?t think of any other reason you would have to add guys who are already on the active roster back to the active roster.
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on December 15, 2021, 12:04:39 AM
Based on that, it looks like Kylie Wilson, Demski, Nichols, Alford and Liegghio may have all got extensions.  I can?t think of any other reason you would have to add guys who are already on the active roster back to the active roster.

The only thing that makes me want to disagree with this is that I can't see Alford signing an extension without getting his NFL look over the off season.

Perhaps this is just moving all players who are actually under contract to the 2022 active roster. Everyone else's contract ended after the Grey Cup.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

My largest concern now is Drew Desjarlais.

Probably the best interior guy in the NFL - I can see him getting the Sukh Chungh contract from someone that steals him away from us.
My wife is amazing!

kkc60

Quote from: Jesse on December 15, 2021, 12:18:29 AM
My largest concern now is Drew Desjarlais.

Probably the best interior guy in the NFL - I can see him getting the Sukh Chungh contract from someone that steals him away from us.
Him leaving does concern me too. But we do have Liam Dobson in the pipeline barring an NFL look

BLUEBOMBER

Let the poaching season begin... let's see which Bomber players will want to leave for more money. IMHO those are the guys the other teams can take anyways.

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on December 15, 2021, 12:04:39 AM

As usual I'm not sure what these transactions mean. Many were players " added " from the IR to active. The IR doesn't technically exist after the season. A few players are 1st year rookies and still under contract for 2022.

OTOH: Demski, Nichols, Liegghio and Wilson were already under contract for 2022 so it's a bit of strange information without more info. Perhaps extensions or re-negotiations with new bonus clauses etc?

Realistically I wouldn't expect Antigua, K. Brown or J. Johnson to return. They fall into the annual 1 year rental players for the most part. Experienced depth that were DI's on and off the roster at times.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on December 15, 2021, 02:38:34 AM
Let the poaching season begin... let's see which Bomber players will want to leave for more money. IMHO those are the guys the other teams can take anyways.

I believe we'll be able to keep players we want with only a few losses elsewhere in the CFL. This team is built on " team concept ".  Walters understand fair money for fair value IMO but SMS is always an issue. Some players will deserve more. Some may need to take a cut to return due to the normal succession plans on every team.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 15, 2021, 01:18:39 PM
As usual I'm not sure what these transactions mean. Many were players " added " from the IR to active. The IR doesn't technically exist after the season. A few players are 1st year rookies and still under contract for 2022.

OTOH: Demski, Nichols, Liegghio and Wilson were already under contract for 2022 so it's a bit of strange information without more info. Perhaps extensions or re-negotiations with new bonus clauses etc?

Realistically I wouldn't expect Antigua, K. Brown or J. Johnson to return. They fall into the annual 1 year rental players for the most part. Experienced depth that were DI's on and off the roster at times.

If you notice the signings that other teams have made in the last week, there is a heavy emphasis on Nationals, particularly development guys, special teamers and other low cost players.  I think teams are using their current year salary slippage to re-up some of these guys so they don't waste the SMS room, but no one is doing much with starters and big money guys until they see how the CBA shapes up.  I think the SMS may take a hit, and it will be the top earners that take the brunt of it.   So, I don't expect a ton of movement in free agency until possibly May. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

IIRC we have 3 2021 draft choices that returned to school that are expected for TC 2022. We'll also have a bunch of draft choices in 2022 that could be looking for roster spots and a few that go back to school for a last season.

Obviously we don't know who might decide to release intentionally. Or who our re-signing interest may slide based on SMS or draft choices looking to take some spots.

Our Canadian depth has been really good the couple of seasons. That said, space for rookies will be made. Not all of them will end up on the PR but a few will and a few will be on the active roster as well.

Watching the re-signings and free agency is always interesting. Not everything we may want to do is within the teams ability. I would think a lot of the initial priorities will be on Canadian starters and Collaros getting secured.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

For the first time ever, I'm not interested in picking up players in F.A. from any other teams, they have everyone they need in house, all they have to do is re-sign as many as possible.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 14, 2021, 11:36:16 PM
Sure. And I'm not sure that's happening too much but if it was in some cases it would be incredibly difficult for the league to investigate/police. I don't have a clue how they would even begin to go about that.

All teams have to buy in for the betterment of the league and run their operations ethically.  For too long the culture of the CFL has allowed shenanigans to go on, teams break rules because they know they can do so without reprisal.

the paw

3down just posted the Bombers pending free agency list.

Literally, we have 3 starters under contract.  2 DBs (Nichols and Alford) and Kyrie Wilson.

Both QBs, all our running backs, our top 7 OL, all 5 starting receivers are free agents.  As are the entire DL (not just the starters, but Kongbo, Rose, and Hansen). 

We'll see what they announce over the next 2 weeks, but there is definitely going to be some roster turnover this offseason.
grab grass 'n growl