Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on December 15, 2021, 05:29:28 PM
3down just posted the Bombers pending free agency list.

Literally, we have 3 starters under contract.  2 DBs (Nichols and Alford) and Kyrie Wilson.

Both QBs, all our running backs, our top 7 OL, all 5 starting receivers are free agents.  As are the entire DL (not just the starters, but Kongbo, Rose, and Hansen). 

We'll see what they announce over the next 2 weeks, but there is definitely going to be some roster turnover this offseason.

That's not quite right. At least it depends on whose list is correct.  Both Demski and Adams show under contract. Alford doesn't show under contract. That's per the Bomber website list. A few rookies are under contract but only 4 starters with Wilson and Nichols the two on defence along with the 2 receivers.

Turnover is the norm and we don't know what free agency will show. Just the general sense that the team is good at keeping / extending most players they want. However it's like playing a CFL game. Nothing is guaranteed until the last minute.

I have a few opinions / expectations on what I think might happen. That's based on who I think we want and can re-sign. It will be fluid as the team and players make their own decisions. It's like domino's.

No real point in expanding my specific opinions / thoughts. The reality will be some surprises things for me along the way and I have no inside info.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

Zach Collaros headlines Winnipeg Blue Bombers' potential free agent list
December 15, 2021  By John Hodge

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have a long list of potential free agents to deal with this off-season.

Winnipeg succeeded in keeping its 2019 Grey Cup roster mostly intact and benefitted from that continuity this past season, hitting the ground running en route to an 11-1 start and a second straight championship.

I'd expect many of the players listed below to remain in blue and gold, though teams around the league would be wise to push for their services in free agency.

Below is the list of players who are set to become free agents in February 2022. Please note that "N" denotes nationals (ie. Canadians), "A" denotes Americans, and "G" denotes Globals.

Quarterback

Zach Collaros (A) - re-signed Jan 20 2022 for 1 year
Sean McGuire (A)

Running Back

Johnny Augustine (N) - re-signed Feb 3 2022 for 2 years
Andrew Harris (N)
Mike Miller (N) - re-signed Jan 13 2022 for 1 year
Brady Oliveira (N) - re-signed Feb 7 2022 for 2 years

Receiver

Darvin Adams (A)
Rasheed Bailey (A) - re-signed Feb 2 2022 for 1 year
Nic Demski (N) - not listed on official CFL tracker
Janarion Grant (A)
Kenny Lawler (A)
Mekale McKay (A) - was transferred to suspended list July 10 2021
Drew Wolitarsky (N) - re-signed Jan 31 2022 for 2 years

Offensive Line

Stanley Bryant (A) - re-signed Jan 21 2022 for 1 year
Michael Couture (N) - re-signed Jan 31 2022 for 1 year
Drew Desjarlais (N) -released on Jan 25 2022 to sign in NFL
Tui Eli (N)
Geoff Gray (N) - re-signed Jan 17 2022 for 2 years
Jermarcus Hardrick (A) - re-signed Jan 6 2022 for 1 year
Chris Kolankowski (N) - not listed on official CFL tracker, re-signed Jan 10 2022 for 2 years
Patrick Neufeld (N) - re-signed Jan 11 2022 for 1 year

Defensive Line

Tobi Antigha (A)
Connor Griffiths (N)  - was transferred to suspended list July 10 2021
Thiadric Hansen (G)
Jackson Jeffcoat (A) - re-signed Jan 7 2022 for 1 year
Willie Jefferson (A) - re-signed Jan 7 2022 for 1 year
Jonathan Kongbo (N) - released Jan 12 2022 to sign in NFL
Steven Richardson (A)
Ezekiel Rose (A)
Jake Thomas (N) - re-signed Jan 5 2022 for 1 year

Linebacker

Adam Bighill (A) - resigned Jan 20 22 for 1 year
Jesse Briggs (N) - re-signed Jan 16 2022 for 1 year
Shayne Gauthier (N) - re-signed Jan 19 2022 for 1 year

Defensive Back

Brandon Alexander (A)
Alden Darby (A)
Nick Hallett (N) - re-signed Jan 3 2022 for 2 years
Josh Johnson (A)
Mike Jones (A)
Mercy Maston (A) - re-signed Feb 2 2022 for 1 year
Winston Rose (A) - re-signed Feb 1 2022 for 1 year
Nick Taylor (A) - re-signed Feb 7 2022 for 1 year

Kicker

Sergio Castillo (A)
Tyler Crapigna (N)- not listed on official CFL tracker

Long snapper

Mike Benson (N) - re-signed Jan 24 2022 for 1 year

It should be noted that players who finished the postseason on the practice roster are currently free agents, including quarterback Dru Brown, running back Shaq Cooper, receiver Charles Nelson, and kicker Ali Mourtada.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/15/zach-collaros-headlines-winnipeg-blue-bombers-potential-free-agent-list/

Free agent tracker:
https://www.cfl.ca/official-2022-free-agent-tracker/#BOMBERS

Players on CFL free agent tracker but not listed by 3Down:
Kevin Brown   LB   A
Josh Miller   DB   A
Joshua Caldwell  A   RB - was transferred to suspended list July 10 2021
Greg Ducre   A   DB - was added to suspended list Sept 7 2021
Malcolm Lewis   A   WR - was transferred to suspended list July 10 2021
Dexter McDougle   A   DB - was transferred to suspended list July 10 2021
Mason Moe   A   LB - was transferred to suspended list July 10 2021

Players under contract trying out for NFL:

Dee Alford -45                  DB   A - released Jan 10 2022 to sign with Atlanta
Deatrick Nichols -32          DB   A

Throw Long Bannatyne

When can other teams start making offers to F.A.'s?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 15, 2021, 06:25:18 PM
When can other teams start making offers to F.A.'s?

I'm not sure if there's a date but it's February 2022 sometime.

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 15, 2021, 05:42:33 PM
That's not quite right. At least it depends on whose list is correct.  Both Demski and Adams show under contract. Alford doesn't show under contract. That's per the Bomber website list. A few rookies are under contract but only 4 starters with Wilson and Nichols the two on defence along with the 2 receivers.

Where on the Bomber website do they show player contract status?  There is no column for it on the roster page, at least that I can see. 

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they have extended Demski and Adams already, but I just can't see where they are stating that.
grab grass 'n growl

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: the paw on December 15, 2021, 06:41:55 PM
Where on the Bomber website do they show player contract status?  There is no column for it on the roster page, at least that I can see. 

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they have extended Demski and Adams already, but I just can't see where they are stating that.

I think 3Down is wrong about Darvin Adams. He signed a three year deal in 2020 so should be good through the 2022 season. https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/09/bombers-sign-receiver-darvin-adams-three-year-extension/

the paw

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 15, 2021, 06:45:01 PM
I think 3Down is wrong about Darvin Adams. He signed a three year deal in 2020 so should be good through the 2022 season. https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/02/09/bombers-sign-receiver-darvin-adams-three-year-extension/

You could well be right, and 3down could be wrong or have dated information.

On the other hand, cfl.ca transactions listing shows Darvin becoming a free agent and then added back to the active roster on the same day, January 8/21, which might have been a restructuring at the start of this season. 

I guess it will all become clear when they fire up the free agent tracker on cfl.ca.....
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on December 15, 2021, 06:41:55 PM

There is a string titled " unofficial current roster " on our forum title page. Of course it's unofficial so could be wrong, but there is some logic to expecting something here as more accurate than 3rdownnation?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Jesse on December 15, 2021, 12:15:53 AM
The only thing that makes me want to disagree with this is that I can't see Alford signing an extension without getting his NFL look over the off season.

Perhaps this is just moving all players who are actually under contract to the 2022 active roster. Everyone else's contract ended after the Grey Cup.

Any player's contract does not end after the Grey Cup. Paydays maybe, but not their rights. Nobody is a free agent officially until sometime in February unless the team cuts them beforehand. A few have been released early to pursue NFL opportunities the past several years too if they tell the team they have no intention of re-signing come February. 

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Jesse on December 15, 2021, 12:18:29 AM
My largest concern now is Drew Desjarlais.

Probably the best interior guy in the NFL - I can see him getting the Sukh Chungh contract from someone that steals him away from us.

I did not know he was playing in the NFL! ;)

In other news, I heard Calgary has already stated they will not sign/re-sign any unvaxxed players. Makes sense if this domestic travel ban continues into next season for unvaxxed people. Wonder if the league will do a sweeping policy over this next year or just leave it to the individual teams? No other pro league has mandated this for ALL their players. Not illegal and something the players association would also have to agree to I am certain.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 15, 2021, 03:27:02 PM
IIRC we have 3 2021 draft choices that returned to school that are expected for TC 2022. We'll also have a bunch of draft choices in 2022 that could be looking for roster spots and a few that go back to school for a last season.

Obviously we don't know who might decide to release intentionally. Or who our re-signing interest may slide based on SMS or draft choices looking to take some spots.

Our Canadian depth has been really good the couple of seasons. That said, space for rookies will be made. Not all of them will end up on the PR but a few will and a few will be on the active roster as well.

Watching the re-signings and free agency is always interesting. Not everything we may want to do is within the teams ability. I would think a lot of the initial priorities will be on Canadian starters and Collaros getting secured.

For me Collaros is priority #1. No good chucker, no 2 consecutive grey cups for the Bombers. No more years of half measures at the most important position on any football team. No more Drew Willy's or TJ Rubley's for a few more years at least!! :) ;) :D

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 15, 2021, 06:33:12 PM
I'm not sure if there's a date but it's February 2022 sometime.

Normally in early to mid-February for eons. Not sure what the date is next year. Here is the facts for free agency earlier this year: cfl.ca/fa21/

Ridermania

All CFL teams have so many free agents, one year contracts suck.

3rdand1.5

Quote from: Ridermania on December 16, 2021, 03:15:04 PM

IMO this single biggest problem in the league

Jesse

Quote from: Ridermania on December 16, 2021, 03:15:04 PM

We used to hate the 2 year deals with an NFL option.

How did this even become a thing?
My wife is amazing!