Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 26, 2022, 06:26:52 PM
The team is currently right up against the cap - it has limited our ability to call up players this season.

Next season - guys like PLD, Stas, Comrie, etc. Don't have contracts yet, so we have "cap room", but we still have to fill out our roster.

It's certainly more complicated than that (one-way vs. two-way contracts, waivers exemptions, etc.). What players haven't been called up who should've been, though? The Moose are also gearing up for their post-season.

Dubois is a RFA with arbitration eligibility, so he'll be getting a decent raise (Appleton, Svechnikov, and Harkins are also arbitration eligible but won't be commanding such similar increases). Stastny and Comrie are both UFAs, so how those two shake out remains to be seen. However, $16M or so should be able to cover filling out the roster.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

PL80-  RFA    5M                 2 Year Bridge 7M
PS25- UFA   3.75M             1 year extension 3.75M.
ZS13- UFA   2M.                 ????
MA22- RFA   900K              2 year 1.5M
ES73   RFA   750K              2 year deal 900K
JH12   RFA   725K              2 year  900K
EC1    UFA    750K              2 year 1.25M                 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Expiring contracts...  either re-sign or replace with FA or prospects:

Dubois (RFA)
Stasny
Sanford
Appleton (RFA)
Svechnikov (RFA)
Harkins (RFA)
Brooks
Comrie

All our D are under contract already.

So, half the $16M goes to Dubois, maybe more if long term, less if bridge.

Comrie will get $1.5 to 2, has shown he's worth that...

the rest of the RFA's are in the 750k - 1.2 mil range... pretty easy to spend to the cap if they pick up even one FA... or re-sign Stasny
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

I'd like to get rid of one or more of the D pieces if possible.

Samberg needs to be in the line-up.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

I don't think we are moving JM44. So it would be either NP4 or NS88, both around 6M per.

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on April 26, 2022, 07:19:31 PM

The only D movable (without NTC or a letter on his chest or making too much) is Brendan Dillon at 3.9 mil... so, tradeable... the others would probably be hard to trade, but might not clear waivers if you want to take that route... can you put a guy with an M-NTC on waivers? 

The D corps sees to be a bit cap heavy, Schmidt has a role outside his play, not sure if that's worth $6mil, and Pionk does have upside. Demelo is a solid M'eh and if he could be moved, i have no problem swapping Dylans in the lineup...

Might see a little movement on or before draft day...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 26, 2022, 07:19:31 PM

The only way I see that working is via trade. But that would likely have to involve another defenseman coming back, so it'd be wash.

Samberg probably move between the Moose and the Jets unless he can solidify his role with the latter. He's the most flexible in terms of his ELC and being waivers exempt.

Quote from: theaardvark on April 26, 2022, 07:47:28 PM
The only D movable (without NTC or a letter on his chest or making too much) is Brendan Dillon at 3.9 mil... so, tradeable... the others would probably be hard to trade, but might not clear waivers if you want to take that route... can you put a guy with an M-NTC on waivers? 

The D corps sees to be a bit cap heavy, Schmidt has a role outside his play, not sure if that's worth $6mil, and Pionk does have upside. Demelo is a solid M'eh and if he could be moved, i have no problem swapping Dylans in the lineup...

Might see a little movement on or before draft day...

Dillon's a known commodity with size and grit (both of which were missing prior his acquisition). What's coming back the other way in a trade?

Movement clauses don't determine whether or not a player can be put on waivers, IIRC. What would putting a player on waivers accomplish in this instance, though?

The blue line accounts for roughly $27M or about a third of the cap. That isn't necessarily cap heavy.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

In Cap Friendly under Positional Breakdown ....... the Jets do spend the 5th most amongst teams on their Dmen
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Jockitch

Jets definitely need an upgrade on their bottom 6 fwds especially the 4th line ...... but under contract I think the cupboard is not that full

With basically the Moose, IMO, there is only Perfetti at the moment who may get into the Top 6 (perhaps in a couple of years)
Other players like Reichel, Gustafsson & Vesalainen will compete at TC ...... others are getting over 26 yrs already or kind of MEH in offensive numbers

The Moose lineup during the year has been super strong in team Defense with nothing exceptional in SV% from 4 goalies used.
..... plus getting real good offensive #'s from Dmen in Gawanke, Heinola, when there, & Kovacevic who I think will be a strong candidate in TC
Incidently: GM Craig Heisinger  has juggled the comings & goings of 45 players with 14 on D, 4 in goal & a crazy 27 fwds

If Chevy is kicked to the curb perhaps Chipman will promote Heisinger

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 26, 2022, 08:20:12 PM
The only way I see that working is via trade. But that would likely have to involve another defenseman coming back, so it'd be wash.

Samberg probably move between the Moose and the Jets unless he can solidify his role with the latter. He's the most flexible in terms of his ELC and being waivers exempt.

Dillon's a known commodity with size and grit (both of which were missing prior his acquisition). What's coming back the other way in a trade?

Movement clauses don't determine whether or not a player can be put on waivers, IIRC. What would putting a player on waivers accomplish in this instance, though?

The blue line accounts for roughly $27M or about a third of the cap. That isn't necessarily cap heavy.

Again, moving players is done by trade (if you can find a trading partner) or finding a way to move on from a player (someone taking them on the waiver wire).  It is always preferrable to get something in return, but sometimes you need to give something away to deal an unfavourable contract. 

Joel Armia was the cost of dumping a contract.  To get rd of Mason's deal, we gave up Armia and 2 DP's (4th and 7th).  If we need to make cap space, as well as playing space for Samberg (yes, his ELC waiver exemption is handy, but do you want to yoyo him when he's shown he is ready for primetime?).  Moving a Dillon/Dyan to make room for Dylan saves cap space and opens up a development spot.

Samberg has grit, as do many of our current D, and more of our F than before.  Grit is not an issue today.

Having the 5th most expensive D in the league, and having people question if it is any good is not solid cap management... 

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on April 27, 2022, 04:12:19 PM
Again, moving players is done by trade (if you can find a trading partner) or finding a way to move on from a player (someone taking them on the waiver wire).  It is always preferrable to get something in return, but sometimes you need to give something away to deal an unfavourable contract. 

Joel Armia was the cost of dumping a contract.  To get rd of Mason's deal, we gave up Armia and 2 DP's (4th and 7th).  If we need to make cap space, as well as playing space for Samberg (yes, his ELC waiver exemption is handy, but do you want to yoyo him when he's shown he is ready for primetime?).  Moving a Dillon/Dyan to make room for Dylan saves cap space and opens up a development spot.

Samberg has grit, as do many of our current D, and more of our F than before.  Grit is not an issue today.

Having the 5th most expensive D in the league, and having people question if it is any good is not solid cap management... 

Why would we move our most physical D-man (Dillon) with the small group we have? Get rid of a player like NS88 who plays soft, and can't move players in front of our net. Sure he's a moves the puck well, but so does NP4 and JM44.

blue_gold_84

You failed to explain what's resolved by trading a player like Dillon (whether one feels the need to "dump" his contract or not) but at least you're willing to admit it's contingent on finding a trade partner. You also failed to explain how placing a defenseman on waivers accomplishes anything, especially if he clears and gets sent to the minors.

With regard to Mason, it's more complicated than you've made it out to be. Hellebuyck was due a substantial raise in the 2018 off-season after a career campaign in which he set multiple franchise and league records, so having Mason's $4.1M cap hit off the books helped facilitate that new contract (the Canadiens were then on the hook for his buyout for the next two seasons). The Jets then acquired Brossoit as a UFA to take Mason's place. Armia was but one piece of that equation - and a depth piece, at that. But how does any of that relate to whatever it is you're proposing here to improve the team's roster by deleting from the blue line? Who's the cost of dumping a contract this time around? Moreover, it's not like Dillon or Schmidt have short terms left on their contracts, so the comparison to Mason seems pretty unfounded.

You don't improve a roster by simply getting rid of experienced players without suitable replacements, and you also don't just "open up a development spot" on the Jets' roster for the sake of doing so; that's what the AHL is for. If Samberg is ready to take the next step, then he'll get a roster spot with the big club (FWIW, he's played all of 12 games in the NHL) and earn his keep. Same goes for any young prospect in the organization (Heinola, Lundmark, Chisholm, etc.). That's how the development process works and why the ELC exemptions are beneficial in that regard.

This statement above is a logical fallacy.

The Blues spend roughly as much on their blue line as the Jets do, but they're in the playoffs (the Avs and the Wild spend similar amounts and are, too). Conversely, the Kings spend the least of any NHL team on their blue line (18.4%) and they're in the playoffs. The Florida Panthers are the best team in the NHL but they're 27th in blue line spending (19.2%).

Correlation does not imply causation. You're either failing to grasp the complexities of cap management in the NHL or you're trivializing things due to bias. Possibly both.

Quote from: Pigskin on April 27, 2022, 04:29:23 PM
Why would we move our most physical D-man (Dillon) with the small group we have? Get rid of a player like NS88 who plays soft, and can't move players in front of our net. Sure he's a moves the puck well, but so does NP4 and JM44.

Schmidt has a M-NTC he'd have to waive in order to get rid of him. And would getting rid of him solve anything?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

Hope that coach Lowry keeps Barron on the line with Appleton & Lowry tonight while sending Sanford on the ice with Tonn & Svech

Comrie in goal with Stanley in the Press Box while 88 gets back into the lineup

Anybody else hear that 55 hasn't even been in town lately ??

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Pigskin

Quote from: Jockitch on April 27, 2022, 07:55:16 PM
Hope that coach Lowry keeps Barron on the line with Appleton & Lowry tonight while sending Sanford on the ice with Tonn & Svech

Comrie in goal with Stanley in the Press Box while 88 gets back into the lineup

Anybody else hear that 55 hasn't even been in town lately ??

I saw him at Peavy Mart last week. It also not uncommon for players to leave Winnipeg when there on long term IR. NE27 went back to Denmark when he was injured. CP91 went home to Ontario. MS55 parents live in Ontario, maybe he went for a visit.

Pigskin

Well lets see which Jets team shows up tonight.