Blue Bombers Forum
April 13, 2021, 10:25:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: COVID strategies  (Read 810 times)
theaardvark

« on: February 27, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »

Obviously, having CFL players "jump the line" for vaccinations is horrible press.  So.... let's make it good press.

Make every stadium a mass vaccination site at no cost to local gov't.   Lots of space for post vaccine monitoring, far better than a pharmacy.

Most stadia have wonderful parking, and easy access for public transportation.

Get the teams involved, get players involved as support staff and/or even injectors if they have any medical training.

Have teams visit remote locations, again providing mass vaccination locations.

By involving them in the vaccination process, they become eligible for the vaccine as well.  Just saying.

Putting CFL players at the front of the vaccine as advocates, it helps reduce vaccine hesitancy.

Back door way to get players vaccinated, but a great and legitimate way, making great press at the same time.

Thoughts?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »

Very bad PR. Nothing more needs to be said.

No more excuses.
Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »

There's nothing here. We have vaccination sites - there's simply not enough vaccine.

Everyone get vaccinated when it's their turn.

American players likely to get vaccinated in their hometowns way before the CFL is ready anyway.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »

There's nothing here. We have vaccination sites - there's simply not enough vaccine.

Everyone get vaccinated when it's their turn.

American players likely to get vaccinated in their hometowns way before the CFL is ready anyway.

OK, Us Players will probably be ahead of Nat's... so, just involve Nats? 

Vaccine sites aren't an issue right now because we don't have enough shots to make them an issue, but once vaccine starts to flow, *THAT* will be bottleneck.  Trained vaccintors and places to vaccinate... just sayin', wouldn't hurt to be proactive on this... most stadia in the US are vaccine sites...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:55:10 PM »

There is no way a single CFL player should be able to jump the cue. If the CFL wants to negotiate doses with big pharma out of their own pocket and it does not cut down a single dose of supply then go for it. If not, wait your turn. Getting needles into the arms of those most in need is paramount right now and it would be horrific if someone were to die because their dose went to someone who needed it less.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:58:03 PM »

The province already has lot's of people that have been trained to vaccinate. They also have a number of sites picked out in the city if we ever get a large amount of vaccines. My wife was volunteering at the beginning, but once our vaccine supply slowed down the province didn't need the volunteers anymore. Many Doctors and Nurses will jump in and volunteer there time once we receive more vaccine.
GCn19

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »

The province already has lot's of people that have been trained to vaccinate. They also have a number of sites picked out in the city if we ever get a large amount of vaccines. My wife was volunteering at the beginning, but once our vaccine supply slowed down the province didn't need the volunteers anymore. Many Doctors and Nurses will jump in and volunteer there time once we receive more vaccine.

With the slow trickle of vaccines and the small population of our province there is no need for stadium use. Perhaps, if Trudeau hadn't laid such a turd of vaccine supply and it was all rolling in at one time like it is through the US, Europe etc then maybe we would need super sites but this is going to be a slow vaccination rollout.

Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 05:46:17 PM »

With the slow trickle of vaccines and the small population of our province there is no need for stadium use. Perhaps, if Trudeau hadn't laid such a turd of vaccine supply and it was all rolling in at one time like it is through the US, Europe etc then maybe we would need super sites but this is going to be a slow vaccination rollout.

Dude you have hooked your pony to the wrong cart. Aard's was the one saying we need stadiums not me.
GCn19

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »

Dude you have hooked your pony to the wrong cart. Aard's was the one saying we need stadiums not me.

I know. I was agreeing with you.

Pigskin

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 08:27:44 PM »

Well thanks.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:52:48 PM »

Very bad PR. Nothing more needs to be said.

Yep. This.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
theaardvark

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 07:10:36 PM »

Vaccine supply slowing is not because we didn't buy enough, it is because we don't produce ANY domestically, so we have to buy from elsewhere, and EVERYONE is holding all production for their own countries.  Canada is worse off than many third world country.

Merck is going to produce J&J, we are getting Astrazenica from India, production will soon outstrip demand in the US (they expect 600 million doses by end of June, some are single dose, and not all US citizens will take the vaccine), and hopefully they will start releasing some for us...

I hope that the CFL is looking into something like buying vaccine directly,  if they do, they need to buy 10 times as many as they need, and for every player's arm they poke, they can give away 9... can't fault them for "jumping the que" if they drag people with them...

GCn19

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 07:22:47 PM »

Vaccine supply slowing is not because we didn't buy enough, it is because we don't produce ANY domestically, so we have to buy from elsewhere, and EVERYONE is holding all production for their own countries.  Canada is worse off than many third world country.

Merck is going to produce J&J, we are getting Astrazenica from India, production will soon outstrip demand in the US (they expect 600 million doses by end of June, some are single dose, and not all US citizens will take the vaccine), and hopefully they will start releasing some for us...

I hope that the CFL is looking into something like buying vaccine directly,  if they do, they need to buy 10 times as many as they need, and for every player's arm they poke, they can give away 9... can't fault them for "jumping the que" if they drag people with them...

Trudeau failed to get us vaccine supplies. Plain and simple. He hitched his cart to a vaccine candidate in Quebec instead of making sure we had supply and ability to produce supply. It was dumb and will resort to the continued closure of our economy far longer than it should be, and probably hundreds of needless deaths. All for politics...congratulations Trudope.

Pigskin

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:49 PM »

Trudeau failed to get us vaccine supplies. Plain and simple. He hitched his cart to a vaccine candidate in Quebec instead of making sure we had supply and ability to produce supply. It was dumb and will resort to the continued closure of our economy far longer than it should be, and probably hundreds of needless deaths. All for politics...congratulations Trudope.

I agree, Trudeau dropped the ball. He is also making promises he can't keep. At the rate we are going, we will be luck to have everyone in Canada vaccinate by January 2022.

the paw

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 07:55:47 PM »

A lot of people would link our domestic inability to produce vaccines to the Mulroney decision to privatize Connaught Labs...
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/03/11/the-public-lab-that-could-have-helped-fight-covid-19-pandemic.html

Exacerbated by the Harper government's massive cuts to Research Councils that develop the private sector-university partnerships that can bring vaccines to market.

There have been Trudeau missteps, but this particular shortcoming has multiple layers....

grab grass 'n growl
Tee42

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 08:39:45 PM »

I agree, Trudeau dropped the ball. He is also making promises he can't keep. At the rate we are going, we will be luck to have everyone in Canada vaccinate by January 2022.

I agree and a lack of understanding of the supply chain. Not one or even 3 pharmaceutical companies can produce 7 billion doses, let alone a second shot,  and they still do not have a pediatric version.
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »

Trudeau has contracted for 5 times the number of doses we need, there is no "dropped ball", it is lack of vaccine production in Canada, and other countries preventing companies from making good on contracts to countries other than their own. 

From October:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-vaccine-rapid-tests-1.5774309

"Trudeau said the government has signed a contract to procure 76 million doses from the Quebec City-biotech company Medicago.

Medicago is developing the vaccine in partnership with the British drug company GlaxoSmithKline. The two companies have said its pre-clinical results show the vaccine demonstrated a "high level of neutralizing antibodies following a single dose."

Canada already has signed six other contracts for tens of millions more vaccine doses with other pharmaceutical giants, such as AstraZeneca, Moderna and Pfizer. All told, the federal government has secured 358 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine ? an insurance policy if some of the vaccines in development prove to be ineffective in clinical trials."

GCn19

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »

A lot of people would link our domestic inability to produce vaccines to the Mulroney decision to privatize Connaught Labs...
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/03/11/the-public-lab-that-could-have-helped-fight-covid-19-pandemic.html

Exacerbated by the Harper government's massive cuts to Research Councils that develop the private sector-university partnerships that can bring vaccines to market.

There have been Trudeau missteps, but this particular shortcoming has multiple layers....

That did not help but we have multiple private sector entities in Canada that have the capability of vaccine production and Trudeau froze them out in favor of the "made in Canada" vaccine candidate from Quebec that went off the rails.

GCn19

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 05:50:43 PM »

Trudeau has contracted for 5 times the number of doses we need, there is no "dropped ball", it is lack of vaccine production in Canada, and other countries preventing companies from making good on contracts to countries other than their own. 

From October:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-vaccine-rapid-tests-1.5774309

"Trudeau said the government has signed a contract to procure 76 million doses from the Quebec City-biotech company Medicago.

Medicago is developing the vaccine in partnership with the British drug company GlaxoSmithKline. The two companies have said its pre-clinical results show the vaccine demonstrated a "high level of neutralizing antibodies following a single dose."

Canada already has signed six other contracts for tens of millions more vaccine doses with other pharmaceutical giants, such as AstraZeneca, Moderna and Pfizer. All told, the federal government has secured 358 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine ? an insurance policy if some of the vaccines in development prove to be ineffective in clinical trials."

Trudeau signed deals with Pfizer, Moderna etc MONTHS after most of the world had already done so and it forced us way down the cue and has greatly delayed our vaccine rollout. Medicago vaccine candidate is months away from clinical trials being completed. I have no doubt that he signed on for tens of millions of vaccine doses, that is not the issue....the issue is that he did it months too late. That's an undeniable fact and any suggestion otherwise is just liberal spin doctoring.

blue_or_die

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 06:16:32 PM »

How 'bout dem Bombers?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 04:27:19 AM »

The Code of Conduct states that political commentary is not allowed.  The thread is locked.  It is almost unavoidable to talk about COVID these days without bringing politics into the discussion.  Clearly we can't allow that to happen even though COVID and the proposed interventions is a serious topic.  Hope everyone understands.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: