Blue Bombers Forum
April 12, 2021, 03:02:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 84 GC team  (Read 756 times)
Blue Guess Who

« on: February 21, 2021, 03:59:42 AM »

Watching tape of the 84 GC game:  ultra talented Bomber roster that smoked opposition in all 3 play-off games.

Questions for vet Bomber fans:

O-Line: aside from the big 3 of Bastaja, Bonk & Walby:  Mark Moors at OG and rookie Richard Nemeth at OT ? - who was the starter at OT that season besides Nemeth;  and was Moors starter all year at OG?  Bauer ?

DT in the 3-4 - Doug Maciver starting ? - was Stan Mikawos injured and out for that game ?

LB corps - Jones, Brown, Fowler & Robinson; with an excellent Canadian Vernon Pahl as depth going in for some situations ?   Just outstanding.

D-backfield = stellar

Receiving corps = 4 guys with multiple CFL 1000 yard seasons on their resumes (Murphy, Pop, House, Boyd)

Clements & Reaves - CFL MOP types at key positions, and Kehoe steps up with a big game

Been lots of discussion of all-time great CFL GC teams:  Ottawa 68/69;  Argos 96/97;  Esks dynasty teams;  but IMO that 84 Bomber team was as talent laden as it gets = maybe best all-time (and if Nemeth and Maciver were in as back-ups having to step-up due to injury = even more impressive)
GCn19

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:16:56 PM »

Pretty sure Nemeth was the FT OT and that Moors was in for Bauer and MacIvor in for Mikawos. The '84 team was a gem but honestly the '83 team and '85 team were just as good just snake bitten. Could have been a dynasty type team if not for injuries and disgruntled QBs.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Robbie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:31:35 PM »

Pretty sure Mikawos # 75 scored a touchdown in the 84 cup...a fumble recovery and run to the end zone

BC Sucks!
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »

Pretty sure Mikawos # 75 scored a touchdown in the 84 cup...a fumble recovery and run to the end zone

You are correct on that.  I wonder why Macivor was starting and playing all the reps at nose tackle earlier in the game ?
the paw

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »

You are correct on that.  I wonder why Macivor was starting and playing all the reps at nose tackle earlier in the game ?

MacIvor was the veteran, and would have likely gotten the start as a show of respect.  He retired after that Grey Cup win, and Mikawos was the heir apparent.

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 12:28:55 PM »

MacIvor was the veteran, and would have likely gotten the start as a show of respect.  He retired after that Grey Cup win, and Mikawos was the heir apparent.

You are correct. Mikawos had not yet taken the job from MacIver but the writing was on the wall towards the end of the '84 campaign.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 03:11:48 AM »

Seems like football players aren't as gritty and tough as they used to be these days....  just an observation.
Horseman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 11:56:53 PM »

Seems like football players aren't as gritty and tough as they used to be these days....  just an observation.

Speaking of tough, I just watched the 1969 Grey Cup game between Ottawa (Rough Riders) and the Sask (Roughriders). One of the Sask players #58 broke his left arm in the first half, at half time they slapped a cast on the arm from the hand to the elbow and he played the entire second half. He was tackling with only using his right arm!!!!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »

For those who want to watch this game, it's up on the CFL's Grey Cup on Demand site now:

https://www.cfl.ca/grey-cup-on-demand-list/

I intend to watch it soon so I can have some clue what you guys are talking about here as I was too young to remember much about that one.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 05:40:54 AM »

Watched the game.  Good game!  Looked very hairy there at the start.  But the guys just stuck with their game plan and made everyone forget the first Q.

Did kind of look like 2019 for the whole 2nd half where HAM just couldn't get anything going.

Question: Was WPG playing in their away-game jerseys and HAM in their homes?  We were in the west then?  so we should have been "home"?  If so, weird how history repeated in terms of jerseys.

And the MVP got a free car back then... what do they get now (besides a trophy)?

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 05:53:13 AM »

Oh ya, when did the league finally put an end to fans rushing the field after the game?

Never go full Rider!
The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »

Oh ya, when did the league finally put an end to fans rushing the field after the game?

After September 11th, 2001.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 07:27:58 AM »

Watching the post-game stuff for that '84 GC now:

Holy smokes, Walby was a freaking Mack truck!  One big tower of muscle.  As a relative youngin', I mostly remember Walby from his later days when he took on more of a modern hoggie shape.  But in '84, wow.  You don't really see OL like that anymore.

And Kennerd in the locker room:
"I'm not a short man, I just have short legs"
Grin

Never go full Rider!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: