Blue Bombers Forum
April 13, 2021, 09:37:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will the season happen
Full season - 7 (21.2%)
Late start/Shortened season - 20 (60.6%)
No season - 6 (18.2%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the season happen ?  (Read 1450 times)
Sec223

« on: February 19, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »

I didn't mention about having any fans because its too early to predict that. Probably no season without fans unless Trudeau helps out so no season then. I went with option 2.
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »

IMO anything less than a full season could spell the end for the CFL in it's current format. Whether there are fans for some or all games is unknown at the moment.

Even with a reduced SMS spend the losses could be insurmountable. Fan interest, player movement are large issues.

Fingers are crossed that we get the financing necessary to play.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 07:19:23 PM »

I'd love to see a full 18-game season but I think the most "realistic" optimistic outcome is an abbreviated season depending on how vaccination, restrictions, etc. go over the next 3-4 months.

I have no idea what actually happens, though. I just know I'm so over this pandemic garbage.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »

No vote.  No idea.  When you leave your life to the mercy of arbitrary decisions by politicians, you can't plan for anything.

Fully with blue_gold_84: "so over" pandemic.  Life is all a risk, get on with it.  And get back to playing ball, or all we'll ever be talking about on this forum is past glories from a long-gone league.

Never go full Rider!
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 01:49:35 PM »

MLB is using a shortenend season, NHL, NBA, even the NFL has come back with a shortened season... I think any season is better than no season, and 2021 season will lead to a normal 2022 season...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 02:34:43 PM »

I'd love to see a full 18-game season but I think the most "realistic" optimistic outcome is an abbreviated season depending on how vaccination, restrictions, etc. go over the next 3-4 months.

I have no idea what actually happens, though. I just know I'm so over this pandemic garbage.

Players are already taking significant pay cuts. Last year some posters suggested a 6 game schedule would be acceptable to fans.

I could imagine a large number of players balking at playing a 6 - 12 game schedule on an already reduced pay check.

Depends on what a shortened season means. Compressed time frame or less games. Pre season games or not.

Sounds like a financial bath for players and teams as well. Comparison to NFL etc is not realistic due to the financial money in those leagues.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »

Ambrosie's take: https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/22/commissioner-ambrosie-issues-letter-cfl-fans/ - Basically he hopes the season will happen as scheduled, but no plan.

Naylor's take: https://www.tsn.ca/dave-naylor-the-cfl-isn-t-going-to-play-without-fans-in-the-stands-1.1595551 - Not without fans in the stands. His hunch is a Labour Day start.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »

Other leagues play. I can t see why they dont. . Govt reacts by making people stay home but they haven't done anything to help by doing anything about it. Then when they finally do something which they havent they will make everyone pay ten fold for them doing nothing.  I can't see why not play in front of 30 per cent crowd to start off..at least a crowd where money is coming in .bigger stadiums more people. Smaller stadiums less people . Social distancing . That's what they tell us and that's what we have been doing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:15:36 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 11:56:02 PM »

My prediction is a full season. First half is either in front of no fans or limited capacity, possibly only including vaccinated people. Feds offer assistance (loan, grant, equity) to cover losses for the first half. When vaccinations reach an epidemiologically acceptable level (fall), things are normal-ish.

League will lose a fair bit of money but not so much that it makes them insolvent. It will be a bounceback-able situation.

I?m just gushing optimism today.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:59:02 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Big Daddy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 03:05:10 AM »

Delayed start is the best case scenario.  Canada won't see any level of herd immunity until September, and that is with the Trudeau optimism/spin despite all the incompetence.

I don't hold a lot of hope that the liberals will help anything, and I am genuinely concerned we won't see any football for another year.  Which would be devastating, and possibly fatal.
Donny C

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 04:28:55 PM »

I'm not sure how the CFL remains relevant if they do not play. Before COVID there were already years of reduced fans in the stands.
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 04:57:06 PM »

I'm not sure how the CFL remains relevant if they do not play. Before COVID there were already years of reduced fans in the stands.

I agree. So many players signed 1 year deals for 2021. A few remain on the last year of their current contracts. Most of those are CFL rookies that would have gone to TC in 2020. Some are veterans on the final year of their previous contracts.

Effectively that would indicate nearly the entire league of players would be free agents going into 2022. Coaches, GM's under contract past 2021?  That will be true even if play resumes in 2021.

Missing a 2nd season? I don't like to think about what that could mean going forward.

OTOH I'm not in favor of playing at all costs and throwing caution to the wind so to speak. Making comparisons to NFL, NHL or MBA is ridiculous. Those are not gate driven leagues.

This season of NHL in West coast / East coast bubbles is a pointless season IMO.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:00:00 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 06:06:53 PM »

If we don't have some time of season the CFL is DOA imo. The players will migrate to the XFL and we will have crap football and many of the teams will struggle to have any kind of attendance. I personally believe the federal government will assist the CFL in having a season of some sort because of the national importance of the league and the likelihood of it's demise if there is no season. My prediction is a 10 game season with no, or very few fans in the stands. The only sticking point is that the majority of the CFL interest is in the West, an area the Liberals have made it abundantly clear they don't care about.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:08:50 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 06:35:32 PM »

All the negative US stats are declining. Vaccination totals are going up quickly with nearly 19 Million having received both vaccinations. Another 25 Million give or take having received the 1st one.

IIRC the US is approaching 2 Million per day. That's significant and is starting to have an impact. We'll see what everything looks like at the end of April.

What happens in the US weighs heavily on what can and will happen in Canada.

No more excuses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 09:53:13 PM »

I voted shortened reduced. Starting Labour Day.
I fear the league maybe doomed. Embarrassed

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: