Blue Bombers Forum
April 13, 2021, 08:26:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 Free Agent Signings (other CFL teams)  (Read 3657 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 04:55:48 AM »

Didn't see the Soli retirement coming. He looked very golden 2019,  Strange

Monster 2019.  Dare I say he was more effective (especially in bang for the buck) than Bighill.  And I'm a huge Bighill fan.  There must be more to the story that we aren't privy to.  Solly wouldn't just hang it up like that.  My guess is he'd pull in the same $$ he got in 2019 in 2021, because he was already working for peanuts.

Solly singlehandedly almost cost us the WDF stuffing AH, Demski and Strev on nearly every run play, whilst also stopping nearly every short crosser and screen.  From a purely greedy standpoint, I'm glad he's gone so we will have an easier time vs SSK!!

Solly has one of the highest football IQs and a great nose to cut through the misdirection and shutdown the actual play.

Solly heading to the hall-y of fame?

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 10:45:55 PM »

Bear Woods restructures his contract with the Argo's. Due to injuries he has only play 7 games over the past two seasons, but still had 54 tackles, and 1 sack.
theaardvark

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »

I think the issue causing the likes of Soli and Medlock considering retirement over playing 2021 is the fact there is not the opportunity for the same pay this year.  Add to that the health concern (US will be way ahead of CAN in vaccine rollout, etc) and the quarantine that they will be subject to (not sure if the teams are allowed to compensate for the enforced quarantine costs)

For any Int with other options, especially those on the downside of their careers that have already had a long, successful shot at teh game, I get not wanting to play this year.  We might see some un-retirements in 2022 depending on how normal things are then...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Waffler

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »

If Medlock doesn't want to play I'm ok with it. We drafted Marc Liegghio to be the future and I would hate to lose this guy just so Medlock can play one more year.

Kyle Walters in his post-draft evaluation of the club's selections, calling him (Liegghio) "one of the best kickers we've seen in the draft in a while."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/04/almost-surreal-liegghio-excited-learn-medlock/

Video there of him unloading a long field goal.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:08:04 PM by Waffler » Logged

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »

Riders have signed CDN OL Bruce Boyko.
Tee42

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2021, 11:58:09 PM »

I think the issue causing the likes of Soli and Medlock considering retirement over playing 2021 is the fact there is not the opportunity for the same pay this year.  Add to that the health concern (US will be way ahead of CAN in vaccine rollout, etc) and the quarantine that they will be subject to (not sure if the teams are allowed to compensate for the enforced quarantine costs)

For any Int with other options, especially those on the downside of their careers that have already had a long, successful shot at teh game, I get not wanting to play this year.  We might see some un-retirements in 2022 depending on how normal things are then...

I think the possibility of a shortened season also play a factor.  Medlock for example, stating he was contemplating retirement in 2019, now working full time why would be want to play in 2021.
GCn19

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »

Riders have signed CDN OL Bruce Boyko.

That's awesome news for DLs around the league.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 03:57:40 PM »

LOL Smiley

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 04:21:16 PM »

I wonder if he will be viable at guard.  Apparently he played OT in college until his senior season, when he switched to OG and had a good year.  All of his NFL time was based on trying to turn his raw athleticism into a functional OT, but after 3 years on the practice roster, one game.  But whatever progress he made on the PR, it didn't prove sufficient as he was a disaster at RT for the Lions. 

I wonder though, if he might be decent at OG.  With the acquisition of Evan Johnson, and Josiah St. John and Labatte returning, it seems the Riders will have sufficient OL depth on the interior.  They still have to find 2 American tackles that can play though. 

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »

I wonder if he will be viable at guard.  Apparently he played OT in college until his senior season, when he switched to OG and had a good year.  All of his NFL time was based on trying to turn his raw athleticism into a functional OT, but after 3 years on the practice roster, one game.  But whatever progress he made on the PR, it didn't prove sufficient as he was a disaster at RT for the Lions. 

I wonder though, if he might be decent at OG.  With the acquisition of Evan Johnson, and Josiah St. John and Labatte returning, it seems the Riders will have sufficient OL depth on the interior.  They still have to find 2 American tackles that can play though. 

It's possible he does a Matt O'Donnell and finds his groove at OG. However, the Lions did move him there during one game last year and it was really bad too. At any rate, I would think there is no chance he starts for Sask this year barring injury and that is very telling in itself. It appears he just doesn't have next level quicks in pass blocking.

Blue Guess Who

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 02:12:53 AM »

Evan Johnson was a huge get for the Riders, IMO;  plus they have last draft year selection Mattland Riley (i think he will be a good one);  add in former top rated guys (but wash-outs so far) in St-John & Boyko for depth/competition, and that looks pretty decent.

Assuming they find 2 good import OTs is a bigger reach, IMO;  but maybe.
GCn19

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »

Evan Johnson was a huge get for the Riders, IMO;  plus they have last draft year selection Mattland Riley (i think he will be a good one);  add in former top rated guys (but wash-outs so far) in St-John & Boyko for depth/competition, and that looks pretty decent.

Assuming they find 2 good import OTs is a bigger reach, IMO;  but maybe.

The OT issue is a huge one for the Riders. Their pocket protection was almost non existent last year and Fajardo's ability to scramble and leave the pocket made their line look a lot better than it was. However, if they can't find a couple OTs that can hold the edge they are in big trouble because Fajardo will have nowhere to go.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2021, 06:18:13 AM »

The OT issue is a huge one for the Riders. Their pocket protection was almost non existent last year and Fajardo's ability to scramble and leave the pocket made their line look a lot better than it was. However, if they can't find a couple OTs that can hold the edge they are in big trouble because Fajardo will have nowhere to go.

I don't know... they were much better at pass-pro by the WDF.  They didn't have much of a problem driving down the field multiple times (to no avail each time).  Their run game was near non-existent, so it was their pass-pro and pass game that kept them in it.

That said, SSK was 90/10 short vs long pass game.  So if their OL was greatly deficient, they hid it well with the short pass.  Yes, they had some leaks, and yes Cody's "around the tire" trick saved him 90% of the time.

So I agree that SSK OL was not the best, but they weren't the (BC) worst, either.  Middle of the pack, maybe.  I'd say their weaker point was rush blocking.  If anything, they had 1 or 2 weak links they can work on, and maybe some better coaching against stunts, blitzes, etc.  Oh ya, and can't mention SSK without pointing out how they are coached to hold more than anyone else, and they usually get away with it.  Ultra-holding can also mask a weaker OL.

Never go full Rider!
bluebeard

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2021, 04:38:44 PM »

Also Dakota Schepley, who was on the 49ers roster last season and I believe he signed for the 2021 season down south, could be cut and return to the Riders.  If this did happen they would have a decent inside OL.  A check of who the Riders have signed for the OL tackle spots (American) for this season indicates that they know that they have a problem in this area.  Whether the new Americans pan out is a another story.
bluebeard

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »

Another thing about Boyko that not many fans know about is his injury status.  In San Diego , when it looked that he may make  the team, he tore his calf muscle and was out for the whole season.  In BC he tore up his knee in the 3rd game of the season and still played on it until he could not.  IF this is true I wonder why they have a medical staff.

To me this says that Boyko is injury prone.  A whole year off will say alot about whether he can play or not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: