Blue Bombers Forum
April 13, 2021, 10:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 Free Agent Signings (other CFL teams)  (Read 3659 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: February 07, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »

Comments on CFL teams' Free Agents signings can be made here.

Here is a link to CFL free agents currently under contract or available.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa21/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:23:01 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:13 AM »

Ferguson: Setting the stage for free agency

It's amazing how much can change in a year, especially the one we just went through.

The last 'normal' thing I remember before Coronavirus hit and affected every step we take was talking CFL free agency. Sure, we did more radio shows after that - a full month's worth in fact - but none of them felt as big and fun as the bonanza that is Canadian football's version of 90-day fiance.

At this time last year we were coming off a Bombers Grey Cup with the runner-up Hamilton Tiger-Cats looking to solidify their core and make a push to make back-to-back Grey Cup appearances, this time in Saskatchewan.

The big names available included Nick Arbuckle and Zach Collaros and Jeremiah Masoli, who once again found himself this winter the topic of speculation until re-signing with Hamilton weeks before entering the free market.

Big name pass catchers up for grabs included Derel Walker, Naaman Roosevelt, DeVier Posey and DaVaris Daniels. Three of which chose to play for new teams and never got the chance, the fourth (Walker) not signing anywhere until this winter when he agreed to terms with Edmonton to serve his third tour of duty in Green & Gold.

Sean McEwen was a big steal for Calgary from Toronto and Danny Maciocia recruited numerous RSEQ alumni back to Montreal in his first year running the Alouettes free agency attack. The biggest name - and body - of all was Willie Jefferson and he decided Winnipeg was where he wanted to be, despite visits with Hamilton and Toronto, where he sat court side at a Raptors game.

Remember when people used to go to Raptors games?

Remember when they used to play in Canada?

Those were the days.

Through ups and downs, masks and moments of unparalleled sacrifice by front line workers, here we are again.

Early February came with enough names available to make your head spin. I built endless lists on spreadsheets to track player movement last December. It now looks like an abstract art expression by a paint-throwing Hamilton Hipster at Supercrawl, which made me wonder what is this all for?

Admit it, no matter how big a fan of the CFL or Canadian football at all levels you are, you feel hesitant right now. It's only natural that when you invest in something and feel a sense of loss that there is a mental hurdle to overcome in trusting you won?t be hurt again.

We all felt that pain when the 2020 CFL season was cancelled. As we near the unofficial start of the CFL fandom calendar, the beginning of spring's anticipation and the longing for hot June training camp days, I have felt energized by the idea that a new season is just around the corner.

When it gets here, what a lineup of talent we will have on display, with plenty more to yet decide where to call home in 2021.

Arbuckle is an Argo, Nichols is a REDBLACK.

That alone would be enough to power the hype train into June, but look around and you?ll see that 2021 CFL free agency goes much deeper than the quarterbacks. Timothy Flanders appears to have the inside track at starting running back in Ottawa after signing with Paul LaPolice's club, while his previous star back Andrew Harris has eyes firmly planted on winning another Grey Cup in Winnipeg.

The Ticats' receivers might be the best positional unit in the entire league with Banks, Addison, Acklin, Posey and possibly more to come signed on the dotted line, while the Argos' pass rush has been bolstered by the addition of Charleston Hughes and Cordarro Law.

Edmonton continues to stockpile talent including new head coach Jaime Elizondo while Calgary has taken a personnel hit. History should remind us all of the Stampeders? ability to discover, develop and replace production with fresh names.

At first glance on sheer numbers it might seem as though not much is left in the pool of pending free agents, but don't let the lack of names fool you on quality available.

Rising Canadian QB Michael O'Connor should be in demand while BC running back John White, one of the CFL's most productive last time we played, remains available.

One of Winnipeg's most productive receivers, Dan Petermann is not yet official while former Edmonton pass catcher Ricky Collins Jr. is sure to be a game breaker for any team that finds the financial flexibility to sign him.

With all that's changed over the last year, one thing remains and that's the CFL bringing some light to your day on a cold Tuesday in February. Kick up your feet on the virtual boardroom desk, make the long trek down the hallway for lunch and set yourself up for a day getting lost in the CFL's annual off-season reminder of how much talent there is available once we step between the lines once again.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/02/08/ferguson-setting-stage-free-agency/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »

Montreal has signed DL Almondo Sewell from Edmonton.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »

Riders, apparently have signed Evan Johnson, Micah Johnson, Larry Dean, and the Herdman-Reed brothers.
Ridermania

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 06:37:13 PM »

The B.C. Lions have signed Lucky Whitehead.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »

James Wilder Jr signed with Edmonton.

Pigskin

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »

P Levels signs with Montreal.
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 06:52:10 PM »

John White signs with the Argo's.
Pigskin

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »

O'Connor signed by the Calgary.
Pigskin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 09:16:49 PM »

Solomon E. retires.
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 11:52:13 PM »

Ciante Evans to Hamilton

No more excuses.
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 03:15:31 AM »

Lucky Whitehead went to BC Sad
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 03:41:03 AM »

O'Connor signed by the Calgary.

Interesting.

Huff has been willing to give Canadian QBs a shot now and then: drafted Sinopoli and he hung around at QB a bit till he was surpassed;  then had Buckley who made it to #2;  and now O'Connor.
blue_or_die

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »

So we have John Rush and Chad Remple as cheap guys who wanted to come back but weren't offered anything. Any word on Thomas Miles? With his experience playing (incl starting) MLB, ST prowess (incl LS), and being local and a team guy, I can't wrap my head around us not signing him and it's making me wonder if it's him who is moving on.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »

Petermann signs in Ottawa. Sorry to see him go but wish him success.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »

Odd that we passed on Remple with him being local now and willing to take min wage.. we kept Cvety around... maybe he gets a call for TC to challenge Benson... or not.  Maybe he gets an invite to TC as a guest coach.  How many years of ST in the CFL has he got?  IIRC he was always regarded as a player that earned his spot with smarts...

Whitehead to BC looked like a fresh start for him, and then they signed Rainey... he will be in tough to land an actual roster spot...  no doubt a returner will go down early in the year, and he might get that shot is he loses out to Rainey...

It is interesting to see how many players are coming to the realization that CFL min wage is not a bad gig... especially in this economy.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »

Pete will be a good receiver in the CFL. Tough to see him go, but the Kid wants to play on a regular basis and heading to Ottawa was a good spot for him to land.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:49:23 PM by Pigskin » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »

Pete will be a good receiver in the CFL. Tough to see him go, but the Kid wants to play on a regular basis and heading to Ottawa was a good spot for him to land.

No doubt Lapo and Nichols recruited him hard... good on him, he's no 88 but he is solid...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »

CFL really needs to clean up its website...

55   Benson, Michael      LS   N   5'10   245   33   Acadia
40   Benson, Mike   MTL   LS   N   5'10   245   33   Acadia

Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 04:47:29 PM »

Exume to the Als. Good ST player.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »

Odd that we passed on Remple with him being local now and willing to take min wage.. we kept Cvety around... maybe he gets a call for TC to challenge Benson... or not.  Maybe he gets an invite to TC as a guest coach.  How many years of ST in the CFL has he got?  IIRC he was always regarded as a player that earned his spot with smarts...

Whitehead to BC looked like a fresh start for him, and then they signed Rainey... he will be in tough to land an actual roster spot...  no doubt a returner will go down early in the year, and he might get that shot is he loses out to Rainey...

It is interesting to see how many players are coming to the realization that CFL min wage is not a bad gig... especially in this economy.

A LS earns his job with smarts about the same way a kicker earns his job with smarts.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »

Exume was another player that we knew was moving on. He wanted to be in Montreal with his family.
Pigskin

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »

Ottawa has one player left to deal with and then it's a Bingo, they will have cleared there FA list.
Pigskin

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »

Lauzon-Seguin signs with Montreal.
Horseman

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 10:25:16 PM »

Ott only has the bowling ball of razor blades to get signed and then they are done, if they want him back.
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 10:39:49 PM »

Lauzon-Seguin signs with Montreal.

Maciocia went nuts loading up on Quebec natives / Q Conference guys he would know from his time there .
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 10:42:57 PM »

Ott only has the bowling ball of razor blades to get signed and then they are done, if they want him back.

? - do you mean Lattanzio?  They did sign Stefan Charles to go with C. Laing.  Not sure why they would give up on Lattanzio - local guy, non-stop motor, superior DT against the run - unless he is demanding bigger buck$ as a veteran ?
Pigskin

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 03:21:43 AM »

Lattanzio was a little to small when the bombers drafted him back in 2015. Bombers tried to make a fullback out of him which didn't work out. Mite be a nice pickup for us.
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 03:48:30 AM »

Lattanzio was a little to small when the bombers drafted him back in 2015. Bombers tried to make a fullback out of him which didn't work out. Mite be a nice pickup for us.

I'd guess he is the same size range still? - under-sized for a DT but strong and a real motor, plus lots of CFL experience now.

Real nice guy - got to meet him briefly and talk a bit of CFL ball;  asked him about his Bomber fullback experience and his reply was a frown and to say he's a DT - he was a CIS all-Canadian DT and Metras Trophy winner.

Really doubt Walters has any interest.
Pigskin

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 04:16:32 AM »

Back then he was 230, he is now 252.
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2021, 05:06:55 AM »

Back then he was 230, he is now 252.

Doubtful - measured at 246 at the 2015 CFL Combine;  led all linemen (defensive and offensive) in bench reps # (32) at that testing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:51:55 PM by Blue Guess Who » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 02:10:36 PM »

Pfeffer signs with Calgary.
Pigskin

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »

Shaw signs with Edmonton Football Club. lol
Pigskin

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »

Jones resigns with Hamilton.
Pigskin

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2021, 02:12:55 PM »

Jon Ryan back with the Riders.
Pigskin

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »

Montreal and Toronto have loaded up with talent, should be a lot stronger Eastern Div. this year.
Pigskin

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 08:35:03 PM »

Natey Adjei signs with Montreal.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »

Awe signs in Ottawa.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 07:49:20 AM »

Solomon E. retires.

Waaaaaaat??  He literally had one of his best years in SSK in 2019 and he decides to call it quits?  And he achieved that success without the massive help from Bighill for team 100!  His SSK WILL/SAM were non-exceptional.

I'm shocked.  Why'd he do it?  Still getting the peanut offers from SSK and no one else wanted to pony up?  If Biggie gets seriously injured I'd be on that phone to Solly the next day.  Heck, even though I love Wilson19, I'd be tempted to reunite team 100 at the peanuts rate it would probably cost in 2021.

P.S. This weakens SSK D in a major way, so I'm very please.  We won't have to face the uber-intelligent one man wrecking machine Solly anymore when pounding our western neighbours into the astroturf.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:44:55 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »

Argo's sign Odell Willis and Fabion Foote.
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2021, 09:54:26 PM »

E. Lattanzio announces retirement;  RedBlacks had signed C. Laing and recently Stefan Charles for DT, plus have a couple of recent draft pick DTs.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »

Argos sign LB Cameron Judge... Are they playing with different SMS rules than the rest of the league?

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 01:46:48 PM »

Argos sign LB Cameron Judge... Are they playing with different SMS rules than the rest of the league?

The guideline to spend to the floor doesn't prevent them from spending closer to the ceiling. It would be unfortunate if teams don't follow that idea. Could  create unfair advantage.

I'm not sure the Argos are doing that ( or the Als ). There could be players released by final cut down date to accommodate new arrivals.

On the surface it does make you sit up and watch which teams are doing what.

Argos did lose Lokombo and Ackie. Nichols, MBT and O'Conner probably would have been more expensive than just Arbuckle + Pipkin?

All of this reinforces my view that Muamba probably ends up in Ottawa if he doesn't re-sign in Montreal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:20:03 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that most of the signings by the Argos are (relatively) low risk, because in large part it hinges on whether or not a 2021 season happens (which is out of the CFLs control to a significant degree).  I'm also going to guess that there is very little upfront money in this years signings because of the uncertainty.  So they stack the box now, and if the season materializes they either pare down or pay up, either way they're likely to be a #1 contender in the East which they sorely need, or they don't have to honour the contracts because the season doesn't happen.  Not saying it's the soundest plan ever developed, but in the range of bad ideas, it's not the worst.
dd

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 03:13:48 AM »

Didn't see the Soli retirement coming. He looked very golden 2019,  Strange
TecnoGenius

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 04:55:48 AM »

Didn't see the Soli retirement coming. He looked very golden 2019,  Strange

Monster 2019.  Dare I say he was more effective (especially in bang for the buck) than Bighill.  And I'm a huge Bighill fan.  There must be more to the story that we aren't privy to.  Solly wouldn't just hang it up like that.  My guess is he'd pull in the same $$ he got in 2019 in 2021, because he was already working for peanuts.

Solly singlehandedly almost cost us the WDF stuffing AH, Demski and Strev on nearly every run play, whilst also stopping nearly every short crosser and screen.  From a purely greedy standpoint, I'm glad he's gone so we will have an easier time vs SSK!!

Solly has one of the highest football IQs and a great nose to cut through the misdirection and shutdown the actual play.

Solly heading to the hall-y of fame?

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 10:45:55 PM »

Bear Woods restructures his contract with the Argo's. Due to injuries he has only play 7 games over the past two seasons, but still had 54 tackles, and 1 sack.
theaardvark

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »

I think the issue causing the likes of Soli and Medlock considering retirement over playing 2021 is the fact there is not the opportunity for the same pay this year.  Add to that the health concern (US will be way ahead of CAN in vaccine rollout, etc) and the quarantine that they will be subject to (not sure if the teams are allowed to compensate for the enforced quarantine costs)

For any Int with other options, especially those on the downside of their careers that have already had a long, successful shot at teh game, I get not wanting to play this year.  We might see some un-retirements in 2022 depending on how normal things are then...

Waffler

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »

If Medlock doesn't want to play I'm ok with it. We drafted Marc Liegghio to be the future and I would hate to lose this guy just so Medlock can play one more year.

Kyle Walters in his post-draft evaluation of the club's selections, calling him (Liegghio) "one of the best kickers we've seen in the draft in a while."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/04/almost-surreal-liegghio-excited-learn-medlock/

Video there of him unloading a long field goal.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:08:04 PM by Waffler » Logged

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »

Riders have signed CDN OL Bruce Boyko.
Tee42

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2021, 11:58:09 PM »

I think the issue causing the likes of Soli and Medlock considering retirement over playing 2021 is the fact there is not the opportunity for the same pay this year.  Add to that the health concern (US will be way ahead of CAN in vaccine rollout, etc) and the quarantine that they will be subject to (not sure if the teams are allowed to compensate for the enforced quarantine costs)

For any Int with other options, especially those on the downside of their careers that have already had a long, successful shot at teh game, I get not wanting to play this year.  We might see some un-retirements in 2022 depending on how normal things are then...

I think the possibility of a shortened season also play a factor.  Medlock for example, stating he was contemplating retirement in 2019, now working full time why would be want to play in 2021.
GCn19

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »

Riders have signed CDN OL Bruce Boyko.

That's awesome news for DLs around the league.

Blue In BC

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 03:57:40 PM »

LOL Smiley

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 04:21:16 PM »

I wonder if he will be viable at guard.  Apparently he played OT in college until his senior season, when he switched to OG and had a good year.  All of his NFL time was based on trying to turn his raw athleticism into a functional OT, but after 3 years on the practice roster, one game.  But whatever progress he made on the PR, it didn't prove sufficient as he was a disaster at RT for the Lions. 

I wonder though, if he might be decent at OG.  With the acquisition of Evan Johnson, and Josiah St. John and Labatte returning, it seems the Riders will have sufficient OL depth on the interior.  They still have to find 2 American tackles that can play though. 

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »

I wonder if he will be viable at guard.  Apparently he played OT in college until his senior season, when he switched to OG and had a good year.  All of his NFL time was based on trying to turn his raw athleticism into a functional OT, but after 3 years on the practice roster, one game.  But whatever progress he made on the PR, it didn't prove sufficient as he was a disaster at RT for the Lions. 

I wonder though, if he might be decent at OG.  With the acquisition of Evan Johnson, and Josiah St. John and Labatte returning, it seems the Riders will have sufficient OL depth on the interior.  They still have to find 2 American tackles that can play though. 

It's possible he does a Matt O'Donnell and finds his groove at OG. However, the Lions did move him there during one game last year and it was really bad too. At any rate, I would think there is no chance he starts for Sask this year barring injury and that is very telling in itself. It appears he just doesn't have next level quicks in pass blocking.

Blue Guess Who

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 02:12:53 AM »

Evan Johnson was a huge get for the Riders, IMO;  plus they have last draft year selection Mattland Riley (i think he will be a good one);  add in former top rated guys (but wash-outs so far) in St-John & Boyko for depth/competition, and that looks pretty decent.

Assuming they find 2 good import OTs is a bigger reach, IMO;  but maybe.
GCn19

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »

Evan Johnson was a huge get for the Riders, IMO;  plus they have last draft year selection Mattland Riley (i think he will be a good one);  add in former top rated guys (but wash-outs so far) in St-John & Boyko for depth/competition, and that looks pretty decent.

Assuming they find 2 good import OTs is a bigger reach, IMO;  but maybe.

The OT issue is a huge one for the Riders. Their pocket protection was almost non existent last year and Fajardo's ability to scramble and leave the pocket made their line look a lot better than it was. However, if they can't find a couple OTs that can hold the edge they are in big trouble because Fajardo will have nowhere to go.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2021, 06:18:13 AM »

The OT issue is a huge one for the Riders. Their pocket protection was almost non existent last year and Fajardo's ability to scramble and leave the pocket made their line look a lot better than it was. However, if they can't find a couple OTs that can hold the edge they are in big trouble because Fajardo will have nowhere to go.

I don't know... they were much better at pass-pro by the WDF.  They didn't have much of a problem driving down the field multiple times (to no avail each time).  Their run game was near non-existent, so it was their pass-pro and pass game that kept them in it.

That said, SSK was 90/10 short vs long pass game.  So if their OL was greatly deficient, they hid it well with the short pass.  Yes, they had some leaks, and yes Cody's "around the tire" trick saved him 90% of the time.

So I agree that SSK OL was not the best, but they weren't the (BC) worst, either.  Middle of the pack, maybe.  I'd say their weaker point was rush blocking.  If anything, they had 1 or 2 weak links they can work on, and maybe some better coaching against stunts, blitzes, etc.  Oh ya, and can't mention SSK without pointing out how they are coached to hold more than anyone else, and they usually get away with it.  Ultra-holding can also mask a weaker OL.

Never go full Rider!
bluebeard

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2021, 04:38:44 PM »

Also Dakota Schepley, who was on the 49ers roster last season and I believe he signed for the 2021 season down south, could be cut and return to the Riders.  If this did happen they would have a decent inside OL.  A check of who the Riders have signed for the OL tackle spots (American) for this season indicates that they know that they have a problem in this area.  Whether the new Americans pan out is a another story.
bluebeard

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »

Another thing about Boyko that not many fans know about is his injury status.  In San Diego , when it looked that he may make  the team, he tore his calf muscle and was out for the whole season.  In BC he tore up his knee in the 3rd game of the season and still played on it until he could not.  IF this is true I wonder why they have a medical staff.

To me this says that Boyko is injury prone.  A whole year off will say alot about whether he can play or not.
Blue In BC

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »

H. Muamba signs with Argos. I suppose that moves Judge to WIL? Bear Woods to DI?

Argos have loaded up with some talent in free agency. Whether they will be able to keep everybody remains to be seen.

Part of the question will be whether they choose to keep SMS closer to the floor or whether they are closer to the ceiling.

Teams can sign $6M in player contracts today but the real counting doesn't start until final rosters are set ( except for signing bonus deals ).

They probably have made the biggest splashes in free agency though.

No more excuses.
Horseman

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »

There is no way the Argo's can keep all of their free agency signings and be under the salary cap, something has to give.
theaardvark

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »

Either the Argos have signed everyone to incentive laden deals (which can lead to eventual cap heck), or they are already in cap heck,  Teams were advised to spend to cap minimum.  Many players restructured as such.  The contracts TO is throwing around suggest that they are trying to buy a team in the age of COVID.  Hope it works for them, because if it doesn't, their fan base is even more in danger...

Blue In BC

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:52 PM »

Argos signings in free agency or by trade acquisitions: Arbuckle,  Muamba, Judge, Law, Rogers, Pipkin, Hughes, Robertson, Rush, Speller, Sinkfield, Nevis, Daniels and White.

As I mentioned, not every veteran will make their roster. Some took pay cuts and others may have incentive deals mentioned above.

Their TC will be interesting to say the least. Their veterans from 2020 will be looking over their shoulders.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

Don't get me wrong, would love to have al the options that Dinwiddie will have to choose from.  Just can't see Pinball paying them all when push comes to shove.  Have to wonder if there is a single $ of up front / guaranteed money in there...

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2021, 05:32:15 PM »

Argos signings in free agency or by trade acquisitions: Arbuckle,  Muamba, Judge, Law, Rogers, Pipkin, Hughes, Robertson, Rush, Speller, Sinkfield, Nevis, Daniels and White.

As I mentioned, not every veteran will make their roster. Some took pay cuts and others may have incentive deals mentioned above.

Their TC will be interesting to say the least. Their veterans from 2020 will be looking over their shoulders.

There's no way this team won't be massively over in SMS spending. This signing spree by the Argos has to be a record.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
blue_or_die

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »

Argos are hilarious.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2021, 05:36:49 PM »

There's no way this team won't be massively over in SMS spending. This signing spree by the Argos has to be a record.

Pinball is quite the motivational speaker... many of the players he has signed did not have substantial competitive offers.  So its not hard to outbid no one.

There will be tough decisions to be made when TC breaks and that first round of paychecks needs to go out. 

Blue In BC

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2021, 06:36:57 PM »

Over what? The SMS floor or the ceiling? If they choose to not go the floor direction then they have about $700K more to spend then other teams in the market place.

That suggestion by the league creates the chance of breaking the competitiveness put in place by having an SMS.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »

All this doesn't matter if we don't get players on the field this year. My wife just arrived home from a covid meeting. There was zero discussion about the CFL or there plan to play football this year. There was lot's of talk about the new variants that are now in Manitoba. There was lot's of talk about what to open or not open next, and there was even talk about the Jet's having some fans in the stands for there playoff games starting on May11. No bombers and no CFL.

The question is does the CFL have a plan. If so it time to unroll it now. We all know these thing take time to set up.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2021, 06:47:12 PM »

Over what? The SMS floor or the ceiling? If they choose to not go the floor direction then they have about $700K more to spend then other teams in the market place.

That suggestion by the league creates the chance of breaking the competitiveness put in place by having an SMS.

The ceiling. I know it's the off-season and SMS implications don't necessarily count right now, but the Argos have signed a ton of players and I can't imagine it's all been for peanuts.

I'm just interested to see how it all shakes out for them.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2021, 05:25:54 PM »

The ceiling. I know it's the off-season and SMS implications don't necessarily count right now, but the Argos have signed a ton of players and I can't imagine it's all been for peanuts.

I'm just interested to see how it all shakes out for them.

The league's idea to spend to the floor created an unfortunate situation where the SMS now has a spending loophole.

Teams may have a wider range of sending that causes an unfair advantage IMO. It defeats the intent of the SMS.

That said, " The Argos Suck ". I have a button that says so.

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »

The fact is the Argos - along with 7 other teams - "suck".  Grin

DM83

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »

Mod...I thought you guys were supposed to cheer leaders of the faith?

"CFL sucks" huh! Is that appropriate from a. Moderator?
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »

Mod...I thought you guys were supposed to cheer leaders of the faith?

"CFL sucks" huh! Is that appropriate from a. Moderator?

First and foremost I am a Blue Bomber fan.  Every other team is the enemy.   Grin Wink

Pigskin

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »

First and foremost I am a Blue Bomber fan.  Every other team is the enemy.   Grin Wink

Nice I like it.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: