Blue Bombers Forum
April 13, 2021, 10:38:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Free agency: In general  (Read 9325 times)
Blue In BC

« on: December 31, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »

Lots and lots of players have signed new deals in December. I think this bodes well showing that players are anxious to get back to the field.

I'm not sure if it also indicates less interest in actually testing free agency in the normal sense. We don't usually see this many transactions in December.

All in all I take this as good news for the league. Perhaps we see less player movement to new teams? Just speculating but this would be a good year to have some team stability IMO.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:39:13 AM »

I'd love to see less player movement.  It really could be nuts, but so far it looks pretty normal.  Who knows at this point how it'll shake out.

I noticed on fa21 tracker WPG has done the least fa21 signing out of all the teams.  That's opposite to our usual MO.  KW must have a different strategy in mind this year, or the uncertainty is overwhelming.

There's a whackload of quality players on that list we need to re-sign.  Stars and lunchpail STers both.  TBH there's not much I'd change from 2019!

Hey, is Strev available for CFL 2021 if NFL drops him now, or does he have to wait until 2022?

P.S. There's no way I'd let Demski walk: you must re-sign that stud!

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »

I'd love to see less player movement.  It really could be nuts, but so far it looks pretty normal.  Who knows at this point how it'll shake out.

I noticed on fa21 tracker WPG has done the least fa21 signing out of all the teams.  That's opposite to our usual MO.  KW must have a different strategy in mind this year, or the uncertainty is overwhelming.

There's a whackload of quality players on that list we need to re-sign.  Stars and lunchpail STers both.  TBH there's not much I'd change from 2019!

Hey, is Strev available for CFL 2021 if NFL drops him now, or does he have to wait until 2022?

P.S. There's no way I'd let Demski walk: you must re-sign that stud!

Nobody wants Demski to walk...nobody wants any of our good players to walk...but there are some tough business decisions ahead to make.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:29:47 PM »

Every team is going to have to make some tough decisions. Add in that there will be 2 years of draft choices to consider, some room will need to be made on AR 46 rosters.

SMS, age, injury histories and potential of younger players is going to have an impact on rosters.

The draft is always interesting. Watching which players are lost or not re-signed by draft day and how teams draft is part of the 2021 puzzle.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 04:06:30 AM »

So is WPG being tepid (to put it mildly) with re-signing (so far) a sign that KW plans to be very aggressive on signing 2020 and 2021 draft picks?  (i.e. Up the new blood and retire the old, in relative terms.)

Never go full Rider!
4everalonghair

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »

Dave Nalor is reporting that Demski has agreed to a new contract.
GCn19

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »

Dave Nalor is reporting that Demski has agreed to a new contract.

There we go....no need to worry.

GCn19

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:42 PM »

So is WPG being tepid (to put it mildly) with re-signing (so far) a sign that KW plans to be very aggressive on signing 2020 and 2021 draft picks?  (i.e. Up the new blood and retire the old, in relative terms.)

Without being in the GMs pocket it's hard to know how aggressive he is being. He just might have a different time table set up than other teams. We won't know how he's doing until FA starts. Most probably there are 2-3 dominoes that he needs to drop before he can come out and all of a sudden have a 15 player signing week.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 01:08:49 PM »

Maybe Walters just wanted to see how much of a haircut players on other teams were taking. No need to be first in this instance.

First guy through the wall always gets bloody.

Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 01:43:16 PM »

We seem to be announcing 1 re-signing per day at the moment. Nothing wrong with that. It's very likely discussions have been on going with many players and the deals are done just not announced.

However, it is a domino effect. The longer a given player takes to come to a deal, the less money may be on the table so to speak.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »

I agree, there is no need to panic. Still about 30 day left before FA starts. Mr. Walters will most of the players he wants or can afford.
Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 03:59:29 PM »

CFL FA tracker reporting, Stanley Bryant has been extended for one year. The OL is shaping up.
Pigskin

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »

I am hearing Miller and Miles just need to sign there new contracts. Sounds like a law firm. lol
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »

I am hearing Miller and Miles just need to sign there new contracts. Sounds like a law firm. lol

Both are solid top tier ST players. Glad to hear they are close to signing the new deals. In particular I'm happy to be working on all the important NI players getting deals.

We may have a bunch of draft choices to look at but some of these veterans are key pieces.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 08:18:17 PM »

Next week I would love to see us sign and not in any order:

Harris Speller, Exume, Lawler, Richardson, Wilson, Bailey, 

Medlock, Neufled, both at the right price.

Petermann would be a nice sign, but I could see him in Ottawa with Lapo.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:23:00 PM by Pigskin » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: