Blue Bombers Forum
January 23, 2021, 11:32:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Fan State of the League with Commissioner Randy Ambrosie  (Read 1789 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »

Don't count on a vaccine, especially if that is a requirement to attend games.

I know there was a piece done about Ticketmaster requiring people to get vaccines to attend events, but in my opinion, that won't fly!

Fans are already attending games less and less. And there is at least some subset of the population (myself included) that won't be at the front of the line to get a vaccine (in my opinion) that was rushed to market.

Many of us won't be at the front of the vaccine line due to gov't priority plans and availability. That will change as we get into the spring but how many people can get the vaccine and are willing to get the vaccine before May is the giant question.

Being older I would fall into the higher risk category and will get one once available. I'd guess April as an optimistic guess at the moment.

In BC it's nearly impossible to get even the normal flu vaccine today.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:30:23 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »

Don't count on a vaccine, especially if that is a requirement to attend games.

I know there was a piece done about Ticketmaster requiring people to get vaccines to attend events, but in my opinion, that won't fly!

Fans are already attending games less and less. And there is at least some subset of the population (myself included) that won't be at the front of the line to get a vaccine (in my opinion) that was rushed to market.

Hoping you're not the majority.

We will miss you at games, Donny.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pigskin

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 06:48:46 PM »

Hoping you're not the majority.

We will miss you at games, Donny.

Because my wife is a surgeon she will be getting one of early vaccines as a front line worker. However I am really not in any rush. 
the paw

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 07:02:53 PM »

Many of us won't be at the front of the vaccine line due to gov't priority plans and availability. That will change as we get into the spring but how many people can get the vaccine and are willing to get the vaccine before May is the giant question.

Being older I would fall into the higher risk category and will get one once available. I'd guess April as an optimistic guess at the moment.

In BC it's nearly impossible to get even the normal flu vaccine today.

I was watching CBC this morning, and they said that the first order is for 20 million doses, but that only covers 10 million people. So, I don't expect to make the cut for that first batch.  They also said that the rollout is likely to be a little slower in Canada than in the US.  So my original guesstimate of April is likely too optimistic. 

I think I heard that they expect everyone in Canada to have been vaccinated by the end of 2021, although again, its somewhat speculative.

Being in the second or third round of vaccinations is okay by me, I am also a little nervous about how quickly this has been rushed to market.  But assuming no safety concerns arise, it is looking pretty touch and go to assume that a critical mass of football fans will be vaccinated by June.  Maybe by the Labour Day Classic?

grab grass 'n growl
BlueInCgy

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 07:07:51 PM »

Being in the second or third round of vaccinations is okay by me, I am also a little nervous about how quickly this has been rushed to market.  But assuming no safety concerns arise, it is looking pretty touch and go to assume that a critical mass of football fans will be vaccinated by June.  Maybe by the Labour Day Classic?

Yeah, won't lie, I'm not too eager to be in the first or second round of shots, though I wouldn't specifically avoid it.  Granted, it's unlikely we'll find out about the downside of the vaccine (at least long term) until after everyone has it.

I guess we'll see how far it goes.  Does everyone who gets vaccinated get a card, and then they're allowed out in population?  Sounds a little SciFi end of the world....
Pigskin

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 07:11:43 PM »

I was watching CBC this morning, and they said that the first order is for 20 million doses, but that only covers 10 million people. So, I don't expect to make the cut for that first batch.  They also said that the rollout is likely to be a little slower in Canada than in the US.  So my original guesstimate of April is likely too optimistic. 

I think I heard that they expect everyone in Canada to have been vaccinated by the end of 2021, although again, its somewhat speculative.

Yep, this is what I am thinking also.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 07:25:05 PM »

Yeah, won't lie, I'm not too eager to be in the first or second round of shots, though I wouldn't specifically avoid it.  Granted, it's unlikely we'll find out about the downside of the vaccine (at least long term) until after everyone has it.

I guess we'll see how far it goes.  Does everyone who gets vaccinated get a card, and then they're allowed out in population?  Sounds a little SciFi end of the world....
It could be a down right ugly post vaccine world.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »

It could be a down right ugly post vaccine world.

What are you envisioning?

BlueInCgy

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »

What are you envisioning?

Depends how far down the conspiracy rabbit hole you go.

If vaccinations are mandatory, I suspect you're going to get a serious "human rights" push back from people who don't want to be forced to put something in their bodies, and I don't know how you'd legally do that in Canada (though JT is really good at not following rules, and making other people do their dirty work).

If vaccinations aren't mandatory, the efficacy and timeline of vaccinations won't be as effective as it could be.  So do you let vaccinated people go back to life as "normal" while non vaccinated people are under lockdown?  How do you differentiate between vaccinated and not.  Couple that with not enough vaccine being available to the whole population at the same time (even if they did want to take it), so how do you choose who does and doesn't get it, which in turn could have a significant negative effect on those who want to get vaccinated, but have to wait.

All of it looks like the plot to an 80s post apocalyptic film, and the possibility for increased civil unrest is very real.

TLDR and getting back to the thread topic - the existence of a vaccine doesn't necessarily mean a 2021 season is a go.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »

Well there are several vaccines that could come available in the same time frame. Several will require 2 shots. OTOH ( using 20M as the example ): by the time 20M get the 1st shot more will be vaccine does will be available. It's not like 10M get vaccinated in the 1st week and they reserve the 2nd dose for that same group.

I've lost track of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine but they were optimistic about it earlier. It's a single dose vaccine.

I suspect that different vaccines will be more effective for different groups as they become available. Regardless this won't be one shop stopping so to speak.  Several companies are looking for approval shortly, Pfizer and Moderna at the moment.

It's reasonable to think there might be 3 - 6 vaccines available in January to some portion of the population.  How many will be initially unwilling to get any particular vaccine is a question. But many folks will be willing as doses become available so it's somewhat moot. The more that get the shots reduces the spread potentially and builds confidence etc. Kind of a supply / demand issue.

Guessing Labor Day when a large portion of the population has had at least the 1st vaccination is a good guess. It's going to take several months to start and build that momentum. End of 2021 when we hit the majority of people also sounds realistic.

It's a TBD as we see when slowing of infections / deaths occurs as people are vaccinated more widely.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »

Depends how far down the conspiracy rabbit hole you go.

If vaccinations are mandatory, I suspect you're going to get a serious "human rights" push back from people who don't want to be forced to put something in their bodies, and I don't know how you'd legally do that in Canada (though JT is really good at not following rules, and making other people do their dirty work).

If vaccinations aren't mandatory, the efficacy and timeline of vaccinations won't be as effective as it could be.  So do you let vaccinated people go back to life as "normal" while non vaccinated people are under lockdown?  How do you differentiate between vaccinated and not.  Couple that with not enough vaccine being available to the whole population at the same time (even if they did want to take it), so how do you choose who does and doesn't get it, which in turn could have a significant negative effect on those who want to get vaccinated, but have to wait.

All of it looks like the plot to an 80s post apocalyptic film, and the possibility for increased civil unrest is very real.

TLDR and getting back to the thread topic - the existence of a vaccine doesn't necessarily mean a 2021 season is a go.

Might mean a delayed start to the season but at some point a decision has to be made, go or no go. I think we'll get a season but what it looks like I have no idea.

No more excuses.
Bombers9256

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »

NO ONE WAS ALARMED BY THE STATE OF THE LEAGUE ADDRESS?!

I was expecting that in the months since they cancelled the season they would?ve had more to offer than, ?the cfl is different, we need bums in seats.? Um, wasn?t the whole friggin point of this about changing the business model so that the CFL wouldn?t have to keep losing money?! Forget COVID, the league was already tanking!!! That?s all you have Randy? More of the same? At this rate, we won?t have a league for much longer.

#fortheW
Pigskin

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 09:05:43 PM »

I was expecting that in the months since they cancelled the season they would?ve had more to offer than, ?the cfl is different, we need bums in seats.? Um, wasn?t the whole friggin point of this about changing the business model so that the CFL wouldn?t have to keep losing money?! Forget COVID, the league was already tanking!!! That?s all you have Randy? More of the same? At this rate, we won?t have a league for much longer.

Agree, fire the bum and save the $750K. January 1, hire someone that gives a crap about this league.
blue_or_die

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 11:51:54 PM »

Not that it?s not on Ambrose to figure it out (and he?s certainly compensated sufficiently to expect solutions), but I just don?t get what people are hoping for. Change the business model? To what? Convince TSN to pay way, way more money so that the league doesn?t depend on gate? Charge corporate types to pay massive sponsorship payments for more jersey patches?

Bombers9256

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 01:33:14 AM »

You make a great point. And I don?t know the answer. But I also know they can?t NOT change. They can?t keep losing money every year and hope to survive. Getting back this coming year is great, but the bigger concern needs to be the continuing stability of the league.

#fortheW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: