Blue Bombers Forum
April 13, 2021, 09:49:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I had a family member play for the WPG Blue Bombers!  (Read 2536 times)
Donny C

« on: August 20, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »

A member of my family used to play for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and his name was Denny Konchak! Good thing I became a huge Blue Bomber fan!

If I knew how to insert a photo, I would add one!
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 10:48:36 PM »

That's cool, did you find out recently?

You probably know most of this.

Denny Konchak joined the Winnipegs in 1934 and was the starting right middle (Tackle) for the September 15 game against the University of Minnesota All-Stars. After one game, Konchak & Jeff Nicklin returned to Deer Lodge to play junior football. Nicklin would return to the Winnipegs a couple of weeks later while Konchak remained in junior football.

In 1935, Deer Lodge became the new Winnipeg Victorias and Konchak played Jr & Sr football for the Vics. He played 2 games in senior company (Oct 5 & Oct 12) both against the Winnipegs. Konchak was the starting Inside (Guard) for the Oct 12 game.

In 1936, Denny Konchak rejoined the Winnipegs and he is listed on the roster for all but one game (Sep 21). Some games from that season list all players who dressed while other games only list the players who saw action on the field. It is quite likely that Konchak dressed for all games. Konchak was the backup snapback (Centre) but he did start a pair of games in place of the legendary Lou Adelman.

@Stats_Junkie
the paw

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 12:30:32 AM »

My great uncle was Ian Gibb, who played flying wing and defensive halfback for the Bombers 1949-52.

214 yds receiving, one TD, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 INT.   He was only 170 lbs.

grab grass 'n growl
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »

That's really cool!  Both stories.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 01:04:56 PM »

Rick Wozny was a distant cousin.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 01:50:16 PM »

You rock Stats Junkie!
Downtown Mikester

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »

My late uncle, Al "Crusher" Kornberg, was on the Bombers roster in 1950. He was also an amateur and professional wrestler, and is a member of the WHFSL Hall of Fame (Class of 2009) as a coach, most notably with the Isaac Newton Nor'westers.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »

My cousin was married to Ken Neilson?s son Keith. Ken Ploen was at the wedding!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Stretch

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 05:18:14 PM »

My cousin was married to Ken Neilson?s son Keith. Ken Ploen was at the wedding!

Since this thread has evolved to "six degrees of separation", I can now join in. My wife works for Ken Ploen's son-in-law. I remember seeing Kenny at the first work Christmas party after she started there and thought to myself "Why is he here?"

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »

My best friends brother in law was Michael Richardson.  Dominant but brief career.  Got lots of free tickets.  I remember after a big loss to the Bombers we went on the field to greet him and Danny Barrett (members of Ottawa) and Danny put his arm around my buddy.  At the time I was happy the Bombers won but sad for buddy and his family.  Classic moment.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 02:33:51 AM »

I went to the same church as Garth Baxter.  That's all I got.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 05:01:05 AM »

I have no old stories, but my dad (longtime STH) is friends with Rod Hill.  Hill sure picked the best time to join the WFC!  What a run.

P.S. This thread reminded me of this: (Spaceballs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqXhieWU3M
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 05:02:43 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
Sec223

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 11:20:25 AM »

I have a couple stories although not related to anyone. When I was a youngster my buddy said come help me shag golf balls at Riverview CC. We were paid to gather up golf balls for Don Jonas. When I worked at the MLCC Buddy Tinsley was a liquor rep in the 80's for awhile. A true gentleman. Norm Beaudin was also a rep for awhile. The plays now sell cars LOL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 01:08:48 AM »

I have no old stories, but my dad (longtime STH) is friends with Rod Hill.  Hill sure picked the best time to join the WFC!  What a run.

P.S. This thread reminded me of this: (Spaceballs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqXhieWU3M
Classic

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
66 Chevelle

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 11:49:01 AM »

old news, I know, but... my cousin, L'Damian Washington use to play for the Bombers! LOL 

couldn't resist, sorry guys...  Grin

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: