Main Menu

2020 NFL Season

Started by bigbuff33, August 07, 2020, 02:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbuff33

Well into August and still nothing...

I even read that the NFL is looking at a possible 8 game season.

Green Bay announces no fans at first two home games...

Sad state of affairs...

Nothing much we can do but stay safe and hope for some football

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 09, 2020, 06:34:03 PM
Covid death rate in US is about 4.88% of the population, not .1%. Half of the players are from the US.
Covid death rate in Canada is about 2.43%, not .1%. (See: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/)

It's not just the players, it's also the coaches, the doctors, the trainers and all other support staff who need to be taken into account, then it's everyone they contact. Even if no players die, they could pass it on to people who do die.

Next year we will have significantly more data regarding the pandemic. We may even have a vaccine. We will certainly know from other sports leagues that do start up this year, what works and what doesn't. The CFL can't afford an outbreak like the NFL can, because we're not made of money.

The CFL has handled the pandemic horribly so far. First they made a ridiculous ask of the federal government without even involving the PA. They've now made a realistic ask, but still haven't worked everything out with the PA. They want the government to ignore the 2 week isolation rule for players/coaches coming into Canada just so they don't have to pay the 2 week isolation. That makes financial sense, but doesn't make any pandemic sense. I for one wouldn't trust them to do everything right inside the bubble, because they obviously rank financial sense above safety.

That math is off. Population of the USA is 330,000,000 more or less. They haven't had nearly 5% of the population die.

Too many zero's not enough decimal points!!
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 09, 2020, 09:02:32 PM
That math is off. Population of the USA is 330,000,000 more or less. They haven't had nearly 5% of the population die.

Too many zero's not enough decimal points!!
Oops. Stupid me. You're right.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

The Zipp

not surprised but that doesn't make it any easier...we shall see how the NFL and NCAA makes it happen, missing football for sure.  NHL and NBA are just OK for me, much prefer football as a sport.

When live sports with fans do return full force (hopefully) what a party that is going to be...I have no idea anymore on when that will be - 2022? after a full vaccine maybe?  even next year for CFL could be reduced fans in the stands if a vaccine isn't proven and widely available.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 14, 2020, 05:29:28 PM
I'll be looking at what happens in the NFL as somewhat of a test on all levels. Ditto I suppose for any college teams that attempt a partial or complete season.

Some teams will allow fans in the stadium while most will not.

About 65 players opted out of playing in 2020. How that impacts individual teams is a TBD but there are some big names sitting out.

Not many players have contacted Covid while in TC but once the season starts that bubble disappears. How easily can contract tracing be done if some players become infected.

Can outbreaks be traced back to any city where fans are allowed.

Lots of questions and the answers will never be entirely clear. If the infection rate goes up in Dallas after fans attend games that might indicate something, or not. It's not a direct line but contact tracing potentially 40K fans? Not likely.  Dallas is currently a hot spot which is not a good starting point.

EDIT: No guarantees but I expect Trump to push a vaccine release before the election. That may change the expectations of some. Whether it works and / or is safe will take time to evaluate.

Not sure what this has to do with the subject line, probably should be in the extra section under the NFL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Well, we better have as much NFL as possible, because we ain't getting any CFL.  I never watch NFL regular season, but I have a feeling I'll be watching their 2020 season.  I can't go 450 full days without some football.  And at least this year I can look forward to watching some of my fave Bombers playing down south, assuming some of them stick.

Since I don't follow any NFL news whatsoever, I'll rely on this forum to tell me when they start back up!
Never go full Rider!

buckzumhoff

I hope they play. They dont need alot  of attendance with tv contracts etc. . Airlines are still running.  If baseball can do it do i think the NFL will play full season..

ModAdmin

CFL News
@CFL_News
1h
Chicago Bears officially hire CFL legend Henry Burris as coach for 2020 NFL season https://3downnation.com/2020/09/03/chicago-bears-officially-hire-cfl-legend-henry-burris-as-coach-for-the-2020-nfl-season/
via @3DownNation
#NFL #CFL
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Has Henry Ever coached before, like even pee wee football?

Blue In BC

I channel surfed most NFL games and college games on TC this past weekend. Mostly was curious about which teams had fans in the stands and how they approached racism issues.

What I did feel is that watching games was " less interesting " without fans, cheerleaders etc etc. Maybe it was due to the channel surfing aspect. However for me it became apparent that the enthusiasm of fans in the stands plays a significant role for me as a viewer.

Would also think it has an impact on players as well that have played in front of large audiences going back to their high school and college games.

What that means going forward is anyone's guess. Just saying I missed the fans cheering on their teams.

Not having a vested interest in any particular NFL team also came into play I suppose. I found it difficult to get excited about any good play or game result.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 14, 2020, 05:18:04 PM
I channel surfed most NFL games and college games on TC this past weekend. Mostly was curious about which teams had fans in the stands and how they approached racism issues.

What I did feel is that watching games was " less interesting " without fans, cheerleaders etc etc. Maybe it was due to the channel surfing aspect. However for me it became apparent that the enthusiasm of fans in the stands plays a significant role for me as a viewer.

Would also think it has an impact on players as well that have played in front of large audiences going back to their high school and college games.

What that means going forward is anyone's guess. Just saying I missed the fans cheering on their teams.

Not having a vested interest in any particular NFL team also came into play I suppose. I found it difficult to get excited about any good play or game result.

I agree. I've watched a bit of hockey in addition the NFL this weekend and without fans it kind of feels like no one cares, like it's a practice scrimmage. I still enjoyed the games but there was a noticeable difference for me.
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 14, 2020, 07:13:27 PM
I agree. I've watched a bit of hockey in addition the NFL this weekend and without fans it kind of feels like no one cares, like it's a practice scrimmage. I still enjoyed the games but there was a noticeable difference for me.

Practice scrimmage was a good comment.  We'll see how things change over the next few weeks. The NFL can afford no fans but it is an odd situation.

A bigger concern is what happens now as teams are outside any TC type bubble. What happens to ANY team when even 1 player tests positive? It's reasonable to think there will be some blips as they move forward.

Was it Green that made a comment about a preventative drug ( not a cure ) that his company manufactures and teams are using? That was new to me and interesting.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 14, 2020, 05:18:04 PM

This.  I watched every game I could get with my Shaw package and it's all like "meh".  Maybe a handful of plays made me go "wow", but that's no more than the same number of CFL games would.  I thought NFL was supposed to be so much better?  ;)  And I still don't like 4 downs, it makes the drives/plays too samey  :D

And what's with most of the commentator guys being so blase?  They rarely got excited about anything.  Our TSN guys may have their problems (Rod Black...) but at least they get excited about the plays/game, all game!  Well, unless it's CGY vs TOR, hard to get excited about that.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Give the teams 2 more games, then we will see the really NFL. Let's not forget some players are sitting out, and there was no pre-season games.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 17, 2020, 06:41:43 PM
Give the teams 2 more games, then we will see the really NFL. Let's not forget some players are sitting out, and there was no pre-season games.

My comments had nothing to do with the perceived quality of the 1st games. It was more due to the " lack " of part of the game day experience, even on TV.
2019 Grey Cup Champions